watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I think Woodrow (if fit)

Started by H4usuallysitting, September 13, 2016, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Should be given a chance.....he defends from the front, and chases everything...in a 442 next to Martin/or another.....We should be playing 2 up front at home, and 1 up front away.....we were putting in some splendid crosses in from both sides, but Martin by himself looked a little slow

nose

i know others think differently but we would have been better against both birmingham and burton with woodrow  because he is far more mobile and intelligent than the other choices.

Lighthouse

I think passes into the front players is more of a concern. It is as if we don't practice the final pass. Woodrow is not the answer and I am not sure if you play him in a two man attack who you drop?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

love4ffc

I like Woodrow and especially his work rate.  I think he could be a great asset up top in a 4-4-2 with the right partner.  Would not mind seeing that as a good option for a team formation. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

HatterDon

I absolutely LOVE to not be the first person to talk about this.

I don't know what Cauley has to do to get a chance with this club.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulhamben

I got lambasted for saying this on Saturday. I presume Martin played just like i said he would then.  But yes, if slavisa Is to play this style going forwards, we need Cauley or even piazon up top. No More big lumps
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Fulhamerica23

------------Button-----------
Odoi ----Kalas--- Madl----Sess
----------Mcdonald-------
Cairney---------------- Kebano
------------Aluko-------------
----Woodrow-----Martin------

That's the team for me...or at least the team I'm trotting out in my first FIFA match.

Bench: Betts, Malone, Siggy, Parker, Ayite/Fredericks (whoever is fit  at the time), Jozabed, Smith

Plenty of options in this squad. Surely, one has a good goal scoring combo in it.

love4ffc

Don't know about Martin, have not seen or heard enough about him, but still think Smith is a viable option with the right partner up top.  After all look what Smith and McCormack did at one time. 

Just saying. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on September 14, 2016, 06:00:51 AM
I got lambasted for saying this on Saturday. I presume Martin played just like i said he would then.  But yes, if slavisa Is to play this style going forwards, we need Cauley or even piazon up top. No More big lumps

Yes you were right about the way we played, but it wasnt down to Martin
it was the service into him, as I said in Cairney post too many touches and the
wrong decision being made by the ammo men.
But they can work on that in training and hopefully it will come good.
Pretty to watch but no end product, bit like the West Ham of days gone by.

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 14, 2016, 07:04:39 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 14, 2016, 06:00:51 AM

Yes you were right about the way we played, but it wasnt down to Martin
it was the service into him, as I said in Cairney post too many touches and the
wrong decision being made by the ammo men.
But they can work on that in training and hopefully it will come good.
Pretty to watch but no end product, bit like the West Ham of days gone by.

it was the service that made me say Martin wouldn't fit our system. And I presume Kebano played left meaning we had to inverted wingers. Never gonna get good ball over doing that. They will always cut in more often than not

RaySmith

WE lack the killer ball into the box and someone to convert it, also a bit of  imagination and skill that can unlock a defence.

But the team is still a team new to each other, and it can come good.

I think Cauley deserves a place  in the squad, but now there is so much competition.

We should have been out of sight last night, but we need to score more, and make the most of possession when we have it, because  you can be sure that the other team will come back at us at some time in the game.

Last night just seemed preordained - that when we failed to score in the fist half, after dictating the game, Burton would hit us on the break.

That was a close call last night - the  goal to get a point was so important to our confidence.
Well done to Sess, and the lads for not giving up.

@jolslover

I hope we never play 2 strikers up top because both Smith and Woodrow are not good enough to play regularly at championship level. End of.
Cauley Woodrow is rated because he runs about abit and looks like he 'cares'. We have plenty of attacking midfielders so the 4231 suits us the most.
STH H3

fulhamben

Quote from: @jolslover on September 14, 2016, 07:32:00 AM
I hope we never play 2 strikers up top because both Smith and Woodrow are not good enough to play regularly at championship level. End of.
Cauley Woodrow is rated because he runs about abit and looks like he 'cares'. We have plenty of attacking midfielders so the 4231 suits us the most.
Why is Martin rated?  Because he used to score goals for Derby? 16 championship games without a goal now if I'm not mistaken. And I presumimg he was anonymous last night due to lack of service. So yes I'll take a Woodrow running around abit looking like he cares over the anonymity of Smith and Martin.

@jolslover

Quote from: fulhamben on September 14, 2016, 07:42:24 AM
Why is Martin rated?  Because he used to score goals for Derby? 16 championship games without a goal now if I'm not mistaken. And I presumimg he was anonymous last night due to lack of service. So yes I'll take a Woodrow running around abit looking like he cares over the anonymity of Smith and Martin.

Agree with you on Smith, It will be a long season if you already think Martin isnt good enough. I didnt want him here but hes better than what we have so we have to back him. Hold up play was decent last night but hes not going to impact games if the service isnt there. Just dont feel 442 is the answer and (I would guess) Neither does Slavisa. 
STH H3

Mince n Tatties

I can understand where Ben is coming from with the way we are set up, but
Woodrow obviously isn't in Slavas plans (well not at moment) so we have
to work on something different in getting service to Strikers.
Martin will score with the proper Ammo I believe, and he isn't
Properly fit yet I think.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on September 14, 2016, 08:07:11 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 14, 2016, 07:42:24 AM

As noted elsewhere he has been almost as prolific as McCormack last few season. Bit of an understatement to say "used to score goals". At the moment he has a massive advantage over smith and woodrow which is that I've watched smith and woodrow smash good chances high and wide for years now but Martin is yet to miss. Once someone learns to play a 1-2 with him and give it back to him when he's facing goal then we'll see what he's all about

I'll agree with you on that about Martin...lol

Beamer

The art of the best strikers is turning half chances into goals and at present we don't really do that. I watched the video of the youngsters v. Villa and despite eventually winning 3-0 (well done lads) we failed to convert an absolute hatful of chances, so it's a bit of a problem all through the sides at the moment. Villa looked woeful by the way.
Sometimes it's simply a bit of confidence, one scrappy knock in and suddenly the scoring habit kicks in. How can we ever forget BZ who couldn't buy a goal for ages and suddenly never looked like missing.
Keep at it boys the killer pass and goals will come especially as players get to know each others preferences/strengths as they play/train together more often. Just like us fans, keep the faith and believe.

MJG

Quick question stats wise...would you buy a striker with a run of 6 goals in 50 odd games at one stage in their career?

If not then you would not have bought McCormack because he had that record at one stage.

H4usuallysitting

This is how I look at it........most away teams at the Cottage are going to try and hit us on the break - with someone like Woodrow he will defend from the front and disrupt there play

Riverside

I don't see Woodrow as the single striker

However when we switch to 4-4-2 - this has to be a tactical option

I would play him alongside Martin ( or later in the game Smith )