watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - not too unhappy to see obnoxious

Started by St Eve, September 18, 2016, 09:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Mr. Hughes bottom of the league. Even with the money he has spent only 1 point out of 15. His days are numbered

HatterDon

I don't get it. He was here for one season. We had our second highest league finish IN OUR HISTORY, we played attractive, attacking football got results on the road as well as at home. Since he left, we got worse and worse until relegation. Yet, he's probably more hated on these pages than Lawrie Sanchez. What the hell for?

Oh, yes, I remember. He had a huge desk, and he didn't throw kisses to the Hammersmith End on Saturdays.

He's got some problems with his squad; that's for sure. But unless i'm mistaken, the last three seasons for Stoke are in their top five finishes for all time. Perhaps he will get canned, but I won't celebrate if he does. If he stayed with us and Jol never arrived, we'd likely have thee top half finishes in a row instead of Stoke.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Wearethewhites

Quote from: HatterDon on September 18, 2016, 10:05:03 PM
I don't get it. He was here for one season. We had our second highest league finish IN OUR HISTORY, we played attractive, attacking football got results on the road as well as at home. Since he left, we got worse and worse until relegation. Yet, he's probably more hated on these pages than Lawrie Sanchez. What the hell for?

Oh, yes, I remember. He had a huge desk, and he didn't throw kisses to the Hammersmith End on Saturdays.

He's got some problems with his squad; that's for sure. But unless i'm mistaken, the last three seasons for Stoke are in their top five finishes for all time. Perhaps he will get canned, but I won't celebrate if he does. If he stayed with us and Jol never arrived, we'd likely have thee top half finishes in a row instead of Stoke.

Don't often agree with you, but have to on this occasion. Don't understand the hate for Hughes either, he left because Fayed was selling up and didn't want to spend any money. Hughes did, was ambitious, so took ambitions else where. OK, QPR was a bit of a carnage situation, but he's done well at Stoke, spent a bit of money, but turned them from a horrible long ball side, to a team that now plays attractive football. All clubs have bad spells, and I'm pretty sure Hughes will turn it around, and get Stoke another mid table or higher finish.

Lighthouse

Have said many times before but the lowest recent feeling with Fulham I had was when Hughes walked. It felt as if it really was going to be the beginning of a very low period of the club. Despite many fans trying to mock his reasons for leaving I tended to believe him and it turned out he was right.  As a club we still haven't recovered from the day he walked.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mince n Tatties

Same as last season, they didn't win in first 6 games
but recovered to finish 9th.

bobbo

I'm with you all he's mostly disliked because he rarely smiles, sounds daft but I'm sure it's a fact. Yes I don't blame him for legging it from us i hope it was mainly as he said lack of spending/ambition but a glimmer inside tells me he thought he would get the villa job but their board openly slated him for how he left us.who knows eh.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

St Eve

Yeh he wanted the Villa job and ended up at QPR. Did wonders there! He even admitted he made a mistake leaving us.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MJG

Quote from: Holders on September 19, 2016, 11:15:22 AM
He was right.
He admitted tho that he had made a mistake. And also people forget we did then spend money on Ruiz etc later that summer.

I still stand by the view we were right not go for the mad hatter striker he wanted at £17M and also SWP on £70K a week.
Look at QPR when he had pretty much free reign.

jarv

He did a great job at Fulham and has proven since what a good manager he is. His problem was the owner who wanted his money back.

grandad

We would never have  2 boxes checked if he were here now. I think Hughes is another Redknapp. Loves spending other peoples money.
Where there's a will there's a wife

westcliff white

His complaint in the money was that we would not buy the Italian striker that Southampton bought. The club were right on that one for sure, but him leaving was a big blow to us, felt he had us going forwards for sure

No animosity towards him from me
Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

Quote from: HatterDon on September 18, 2016, 10:05:03 PM

I agree with you.  Okay his exit was embarrassing for everybody but he did manage us well and got the team to perform which is more than we can say about all but one of his successors, SJ being the exception in my book.

The Equalizer

I've never known why so many hate Hughes, but I can't say that I ever really liked him. When he first joined us, he tried to put his own uninspirational stamp on the way we played and we had some truly miserable results in those first few months, getting to Chrismas with only two wins under our belts. Later, and by all accounts the players petitioned him to do so, he started to ape Hodgson's tactics and put the players back in positions they had played on the way to Europe, at what point our season turned around and we had a good finish.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

filham

Hughes was far from being one of our worst managers but neither was he one of our best. I suspect he has all but forgotten us , time we forget him.

ToodlesMcToot

When he left us, I couldn't stand him. The way that he left and what he's most often quoted as having said - Fulham don't have my ambition - felt insulting. I still feel he could have handled that exit much better.

In hindsight, I've come to understand a bit more about why he left and have come to respect him and the decision more.

I wish him and Stoke well. They'll be fine if they stick with him IMO.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Fulham 442

I commented about Hughes on another thread.  Yes he isn't the most happy charismatic manager we have ever had but we were playing good football under him and I didn't blame him for leaving citing we had no ambition.  He has been proved right, the lack of investment in our squad led to our relegation.  Coupled of course with the appointment of Mad Magath

Forever Fulham

You never got the warm fuzzies from the man.  But I think he did a decent enough job while he was managing.  Hindsight is 20/20, they say.  He didn't deserve the animosity.  We rallied around the owner over Hughes' 'no ambition' parting shot like it was a dig at the club.  I think he wanted FFC to succeed and was frustrated at the player funding not being made available to him. Stoke is slowly changing its style. And for the better.  One club I couldn't stand for years.  Thug play.  Not anymore. 

St Eve

Forever Fulham

Quote from: St Eve on September 21, 2016, 10:14:02 PM
Another nail in the coffin tonight
Yup.  Maybe they need a manager who will hug them and buy them pizza.