watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Woodrow was conned by the keeper

Started by The Swan, September 22, 2016, 10:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

When I was young and playing in the west London Sunday League nearly all keepers would stand nearer to one post than the other. This gave the penalty taker a bigger area to aim at.
The keeper would always dive to the side that he left the biggest gap.
The City keeper was standing to the right of the goal thus giving Woodrow a bigger area to aim for.
Poor Woodrow he was conned.
The Swan

Southcoastffc

I like Cauley but don't think he is the sharpest tool in the box (in more than one way).   In the first half, and similar to his goal v Leyton Orient, he hit a terrific shot after a free kick was touched to him.  If he had hit the penalty with anything like the same force the keeper would have had no chance of stopping it.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: The Swan on September 22, 2016, 10:04:37 PM
When I was young and playing in the west London Sunday League nearly all keepers would stand nearer to one post than the other. This gave the penalty taker a bigger area to aim at.
The City keeper was standing to the right of the goal thus giving Woodrow a bigger area to aim for.

I had a similar technique. I wouldn't STAND to one side, but when the penalty taker was about 2 steps away from striking, I would take a small hop to one side (usually my left), and then dive the other way, it's basically the same principle. It had about an 80% success rate (saving pens was my forte, I was terrible at everything else).
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

westcliff white

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on September 22, 2016, 10:26:58 PM
Quote from: The Swan on September 22, 2016, 10:04:37 PM

I had a similar technique. I wouldn't STAND to one side, but when the penalty taker was about 2 steps away from striking, I would take a small hop to one side (usually my left), and then dive the other way, it's basically the same principle. It had about an 80% success rate (saving pens was my forte, I was terrible at everything else).
Same here Rhys, I had a decent record saving them also played at a decent level gif a short keeper
Every day is a Fulham day

cmg

Woodrow has, to my best recollection, been the regular penalty taker all through the junior ranks. Dembele (or Tankovic) only took them if Woodrow wasn't in the side.
He had a pretty good record. He missed one in Dallas, but I can only recall him missing one other for either u21s or u18s.
It is surprising to me that he was conned yesterday as he certainly appears to have been.

My opinion of Woodrow (which is reasonably positive) will not be affected by one penalty miss.

love4ffc

Have not seen the game or Pk.  Most Pk takers are confident and we'll practiced with taking them.  They are well aware of any tricks or tactics that a goalie will attempt to get the edge up on winning the Pk.  One would assume that Woodrow if taking the pk's would be that confident knowing person. 

With that said there are many famous footballers who have bundled important pk's.  Poor Woodrow like lots of others before him was one kick away from being a hero.  Instead, due to his failure he gets slagged off. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

MaidenheadMick

Keeper was off his line even before Woodfow hit it. Seems referees don't bother with that anymore. When's the last time you saw a penaltyretaken?. Still no excuse for the poor attempt though

westcliff white

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2016, 12:11:27 AM
Quote from: cmg on September 22, 2016, 11:50:04 PM
Woodrow has, to my best recollection, been the regular penalty taker all through the junior ranks. Dembele (or Tankovic) only took them if Woodrow wasn't in the side.
He had a pretty good record. He missed one in Dallas, but I can only recall him missing one other for either u21s or u18s.
It is surprising to me that he was conned yesterday as he certainly appears to have been.

My opinion of Woodrow (which is reasonably positive) will not be affected by one penalty miss.

Same here
The pen Miss as bad as it was won't alter my opinion of him, but he doesn't score enough, he had some Damn Good chances Wednesday and missed them all.

He was on loan at my local team for a while (Southend) and barely got a look in there and that was league 2 at the time. I like his style and his brain isn't in doubt but he has to add the goals if he is going to play up top
Every day is a Fulham day

nose

we  all saw how hard he can hit it
the goalie faked him out big time, i was amazed.

All he had to do was hit it as hard as he did for the free kick!

I think him and LVC were way below the required standard on wednesday because IMO they were trying to hard to impress instead of doing what they are good at.

Woodrow showed his ability for the goal, getting the ball in to the box nice and quick.

In fact the whole problem with the team at the moment is over elaboration, if we moved the ball quicker, and got it in the box quicker we would be a far better team.

jarv

I was/am the worst penalty taker ever...missed 3 in one season (I was captain so I insisted) but I gave up after the third miss.  For the record, one skimmed the top of the bar. one scuffed a bit and skimmed off theoutside of the post and the other (the one on target), keeper saved quite brilliantly actually. :Get Coat gif:

JOND999

i didn't mind the miss but the lad has to calm his head under duress and with shooting opportunities.  he's talented but anxious at the critical moment.

Ruiz11

Can never be too critical of a penalty miss, but I still think he'd have scored - in spite of the keeper's antics - if he'd struck the pen with with any kind of power.

bill taylors apprentice

A pro footballer should always score a penalty.

Even the tallest keeper with arms outstretched can not get to a ball hit hard and low in either corner.

And a pro footballer should be able to do that every time.

filham

Quote from: MaidenheadMick on September 23, 2016, 12:28:32 PM
Keeper was off his line even before Woodfow hit it. Seems referees don't bother with that anymore. When's the last time you saw a penaltyretaken?. Still no excuse for the poor attempt though

Yes, I pointed out all of this in an earlier thread. the keeper actually moved back to a central position before Cauley shot, confident that he new where the ball was going. The ref should never have allowed the goal.

The penalty should have been retaken and the keeper given a yellow card for ungentlemanly conduct, if such a charge still exists.

cmg

Quote from: Ruiz11 on September 23, 2016, 04:35:15 PM
Can never be too critical of a penalty miss, but I still think he'd have scored - in spite of the keeper's antics - if he'd struck the pen with with any kind of power.

Yes, I agree. A properly placed (Eusebio said - aim for the side netting) penalty high or low would be more or less impossible for a keeper to legally save if hit with sufficient power.
But that's where the snag lies. Sidefooting guarantees accuracy but sacrifices power, unless - like Danny Murphy and Matt Le Tissier for instance, you have sufficient skill (timing) to combine the two. A weakish sidefoot, mid height in the direction the keeper is already going (Cauley's effort) is a recipe for failure.

I actually took penalties from age 11. I enjoyed them and wanted to take them, which is important. Decide early. Don't change your mind. Ignore the keeper. Concentrate on the ball. Stick your laces through it! I would advocate this approach for all 'ordinary' players.

Of course Berbatov, and some of the present-day greats, have a technique which breaks most of the rules I learned. If Berba had been on Wednesday's job he would have hung around on his run up until the keeper was half way to the Thames and then rolled the ball, which he wasn't even looking at, into the empty net! I never tired of watching his penalties. Often the keeper didn't even bother.

With luck Cauley will get another opportunity soon which he will stick away as usual. Everybody misses sometimes, even Le Tiss missed one (out of about 49).

HatterDon

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on September 23, 2016, 05:12:39 PM

Even the tallest keeper with arms outstretched can not get to a ball hit hard and low in either corner.

and yet penalties are missed in professional matches all over the world every match day. Brilliant penalty takers -- including Franny Lee and Danny Murphy -- missed them from time to time.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid your statement is a bit naive and silly.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: HatterDon on September 23, 2016, 10:36:16 PM

and yet penalties are missed in professional matches all over the world every match day. Brilliant penalty takers -- including Franny Lee and Danny Murphy -- missed them from time to time.

It doesn't alter the fact that a Pro footballer should be able to direct the ball at a firm pace and reasonable accuracy every time and its because they don't that penalties are saved.

Of course if the keeper moves illegally and the ref fails to notice then its a different story.

The advantage is with the kicker and its a simple exercise putting it in the net, unless you over think it, try to be too clever or are mentally unsuited to the pressure.

With all the talk about stats and analysis you would think clubs have worked out through attention to detail who's the best candidate, but I bet they haven't.

As for being naive and silly, I'm on my way to the game soon, hoping as usual for a big win !

res

Quote from: HatterDon on September 23, 2016, 10:36:16 PM

Barcelona missed more penalties than they scored last year...something like 10 misses out of 18. The culprits included Messi, Suarez and Neymar..so Woodrow is in good company! Messi's penalty record, for Barcelona and Argentina, is poor.

grandad

The laws state that once the ref has blown his whistle the GK is not allowed to be off his line nor move his feet until the kick is taken. These days there is hardly a legal penalty.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Ross scored form most penalties by being accurate and varying the kick. Woodrow may have been conned but it wasn't in the corner and was a nice height. It just wasn't a very well taken penalty.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope