watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Bristol City

Started by terryr, September 23, 2016, 08:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

Not much yet but I'm sure more will appear later today (UK time) and I will update later ( my time)

" Just Back ( to the pub)
Totally deserved, ran the second half.
Thought we settled slowly and didn't string much together or have anything through the middle in the first half and they played with more purpose on the break and at greater speed with the ball than us.
Second half total opposite, Freeman, Little, Goldbourne all taking on players and getting the ball in the box. There was so much more idea and purpose, which was only enhanced by the 'first team' subs.
Penalty was against the run of play and to a poor team who in all honesty we didn't get hold of in the first half. Thank god Lucic saved or we'd be talking about another Rotherham style give away to a nothing team (also with no fans).
Wilbraham missed two relatively clear goal scoring chances and Freeman was saved well when put through one on one by a brilliant touch by Tammy, so it was really only a matter of time before the winner and much more fun in injury time, in front of the away end and in front of Tammys family."

" Fulham have no support and no heart on the field. Tonight's result will likely be repeated with emphasis ( 3 or 4 goals and a clean sheet)  Saturday. Smith didnt figure tonight but he will likely be on the pitch Saturday and though he will be a challange with his height we should manage comfortably"

Confession time - I thought after Matthews (who still looks unfit and uninterested with no appetite to go forward) I thought O'Dowda was our weakest player, yet he goes on to setup both goals. He didn't get the ball down and run, didn't get stuck in, and looked a little shy throughout. In fact first half he was neither an outlet left wing nor right wing and it was his first touch when told to have a go through the (empty) middle, that setup our first. His second assist was more about the pace his teammates played the ball into him and wanted to move. Great ball in both cases but more needed from him to be first team.

Also thought Pack was loose first half and Brownhill didn't get in the game. Second half can't fault anyone, played sharp one touch passing, took players on, and believed in themselves (probably hard first half with so little playing time together).

Of the new faces I thought both were very positive. Moore what we expected, loves to play the ball out and only risk is he gets the pass wrong or mistimes tackle (see penalty) in his obvious enthusiasm to contribute. But one tackle second half was worthy of his namesake. Not a lot to judge Engvall on and probably not fit but didn't shy away from getting stuck in and looked like he could hold the ball up and spot a pass.

MOM would go to Freeman for the amount he does albeit not always remembering to take the ball with him, although Little made a hell of a difference coming on (both full backs were different class second half) and Tammy is so far ahead of most players on the pitch even for 20 minutes, it's frightening.

Hull is not much of a reward.

Lucic 6

Matthews 4 (Little 7)

Goldbourne 7

Flint 7

Moore 7

Pack 6

Brownhill 6

Freeman 7

O'Dowda 6

Engvall 5 (Abraham 9)

Wilbraham 7 (Reid 6)"

" Fulham are good passing side and we got nowhere near their goal until the 44th minute. Lovely finish from the Chelsea loanee Pizano but I would rather have Tammy anyday!"

Just back also and what a great night. First half clearly City untidy, loose passes and hardly a shot on goal until Wilbrahams equaliser.  yet again you assume Lj has worked his magic as second half was a pleasure to watch putting the penalty to one side. Really good interlink play and movement. Tammy is such a good player and he already links up so well it must be frightening for opposition.

"Big plusses for me was singing freeman's on fire and seeing how much it meant to him at the end...shows how fans can influence in the right way rather than constant barrating.
And secondly the fans...take a big bow ..sung for near on 90 minutes and great turn out for a mid week game before playing them again on Saturday...very funny singing can we play you twice a week."

" you had to be there to believe it but for a good 20 minutes our london city fans sang their heads off with 'freeman's on fire'
and 'thatchers gold'
it really got the confidence going and you could see the players lifting their spirits. quite how so few managed to sound like so many i don't know but i was really proud of the positivity which we managed to get across to the team
roll on saturday when 3000 might just get freeman to play well if we sing loudly enough
but then again it is freeman"

"Freeman for me has been one of the better players this season. He's definitely comfortable at this level on this season's showing. Fully expect him to kick on under LJ and show in this division the promise he did in the one below."

" His build up play is superb, just needs to improve composure at shots and vital passes. He needs to keep getting in the positions he has, as that's the only way he can improve his final ball under pressure, and he shouldn't listen to the inevitable crowds reaction when something doesn't come off."

" Agreed it's the final nail in the coffin and I expect a goal would kick start some serious form.

The run that he made to get one on one was exceptional. It was little different to the run Joe Bryan made v Villa which people were waxing lyrical over; the only difference being the finish. And with that I don't think Luke's was bad, I think it was a good save. He took it quick before the keeper could close down and make himself big(ger). He did the right thing and got it on target and made the keeper make a save. As often as that's saved it goes under the keeper and in.
Watching Freeman this season to me he's screaming potential. Last year he was laborious with allowances being made as a result of the year before. But not now. Now he's looking like a player worth persevering for on merit. Looks to me the kind've player Forest might have let go in Patterson - someone who has potential and if he realises it will be very good at this level. "

" Great 2nd half performance and result yesterday. LJ seems extremely pleased with what he saw both individually and as a group.
It really does look like we have strength in depth (at least 2 players for every position) like never before, basically we could field 2 equally strong teams ?
Can he really drop Lucic and he described Taylor as more like Bobby Moore !!
What a fantastic problem to have. "

"I agree, It's a very good problem to have,  but LJ will revert back to the usual team for Saturday,  unless of course there are any injuries"

" As Tallin say LJ will revert back to his tried and tested players on Saturday but that's not to say that last night didn't give him some idea on how the untried players might perform in a "proper" game.
He was obviously impressed with all of the newcomers and that won't do their starting 11 hopes any harm at all. LJ knows now that they capable on making the step up."

" True, but we also have to remember they played well against a load of kids and stiffs as that wasn't Fulham's first team.
Good to see them in a competitive game. Let's add one or two into a proper first team environment and see how they perform... potentially better as they will have better players around them.  I don't see yesterday's game as a barometer to be honest, but will hopefully will show the the manager how each new individual "wants it""

"Very good point, Fulham made eleven changes last night..."

" We made 9 to be fair (including 3 debutants). We know we have good strength in depth though, which will serve us well as the season goes on."

" Assuming  everybody fully fit , ( reckon a doubt with Korey )    think L J will go with    Fielding       Little   Flint   Magnusson   Bryan          O Neill   Pack       O Dowda    Tomlin   Paterson    Abraham         SUBS    O Donnell   Moore  Golbourne  Brownhill  Reid  Freeman  Wilbraham       starting   442  with changes of 443 451  424 depending how the match is going       Still ? marks over fitness  with Matthews  Ekstrand   Smith  and Engvall    Looking forward to another win !  clean sheet  would be most welcome!"

" Sounds almost ridiculous as a request, but I can't help but see how powerful it looks when all the fans wear the club colour, I'm thinking of those Iceland blues and the Dortmund black/yellow.
Let's give it a shout at Fulham and get those red shirts out!! Red army"

"  We should have a cracking day out Saturday. Everyone wear red and given its a saturdy we should have a full turn out. Astonishing how poor Fulham's support is so we will own that poxy shed by the river"

Thats it so far- I expect more activity tonight (Friday night UK time) and as I am some hours ahead, I'll update for your reading pleasure  in time for when you wake up  match day.

Chutney

"Thank god Lucic saved or we'd be talking about another Rotherham style give away to a nothing team (also with no fans)."

Bristol city average attendance - 15,292
Fulham average attendance (with a slightly smaller capacity ground) - 17,566

Awkward.

Now that is out of the way, why do they seem to have a dislike of us? I can't think of a many teams I care about less from a rivalry point of view? Or are they just uncivilised?
C O Y W

Mince n Tatties

"Own that Poxy Shed by the River"..Proper football ground
you West Country Yokels...
Come on boys shut this mob up on Saturday.
Got a feelin Martin is going to hit form...Coyw.

ScalleysDad

Thanks again Terry. The Putney end acoustics debate is never going to go way is it but "kids and stiffs" was quite funny, I wonder who the Fulham stiffs were?, and " that poxy shed by the river" mention was just plain rude. To balance it a tad my two City colleagues red penned this fixture for an away day under the proper ground to go tag.

hovewhite

SJ should print off and put that on dressing room wall and use it as part of his motivation to the team!

Jonaldiniho 88

Cheers terry. Always a good read. I hope we can prove a lot of their fans wrong. I'm a long way from home so can't help but let's hope the players give us something to sing about and we get back to winning ways. I'd reluctantly take a point but if you told me three points would be going one way before the game, I'd take the gamble we would pick them up. COYW

Sgt Fulham

Wow they beat our B team and they think they're Barcelona! Usually these posts would rile me but it's coming from Bristol City so meh.

Also, you'd take a point at home against Bristol City?! These are the games we must be winning if we're thinking of finishing mid table, let alone chasing playoffs.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2016, 11:10:13 AM
One issue they are correct about, and that is our support, the Fulham support at home is embarrassing apart from a few hundred passionate fans, the rest seem to lose their voices, every home games the same, not enough passion or support from Fulham fans if you measure it by noise alone, we are as quiet as a bloody morgue with the doors locked, and it seems to have got worse over the years.
I feel sorry for the supporters who voice their support and try and encourage others without success, where's the heart and passion it's far too quiet, and the players must be aware. Away it is a lot different cause most of our away support are the passionate ones, but at every home game it's embarrassing to be out sung by a much smaller away support, and there are no excuses, for some reason we are never going to be the most passionate and loudest, but at least make an effort, it's shameful and makes us a laughing stock at our home ground, nowonder they all love a visit at the Cottage, cause it's like another home match to them.

Thats why Im all for safe standing areas like they have in Germany, the
atmosphere at Bundesliga games is fantastic.
Celtic have it now at Parkhead for 3,000 I believe..Half the Hammersmith
end could be Standing.

Baszab

Well it is true to say "no heart in the field" - there was little fight or aggression in 2nd half

Chutney

I will admit, our supporters are incredibly quiet at home, it can't help the team to only be able to hear the away fans.
C O Y W

The Equalizer

Quote from: Chutney on September 23, 2016, 09:07:47 AM
"Thank god Lucic saved or we'd be talking about another Rotherham style give away to a nothing team (also with no fans)."

Bristol city average attendance - 15,292
Fulham average attendance (with a slightly smaller capacity ground) - 17,566

Awkward.

Now that is out of the way, why do they seem to have a dislike of us? I can't think of a many teams I care about less from a rivalry point of view? Or are they just uncivilised?

The Bristolians are rather uncouth. Such a shame really, as it's a lovely city, and one that I consider my second home.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

irishfulham

Putney end acoustics is a load of b if you ask me I hate to say it but our support is pretty crap at home games we make zero noise and I've sat at the sideline the Hammersmith and riverside even burton support where loud with a drum

FFCFOREVER

If these people were supporting the proper team in Bristol ie (Rovers) I may take what they say about football seriously but as its the plastic version ie (City) you cant help but laugh it off.They are a one man team with a Chelsea loanee being the main man.I wonder how good they would be without him.Why are they even posting on a Fulham forum anyway?

Wearethewhites

This is really laughable. Not one of them has mentioned that they practically played against 11 kids on Wednesday, and that we'll be fielding a completely different 11 Saturday, and it could be a completely different turn of events for them. I'm hoping this is the weekend we start to click and bang in goals. 

terryr

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on September 23, 2016, 12:30:19 PM
If these people were supporting the proper team in Bristol ie (Rovers) I may take what they say about football seriously but as its the plastic version ie (City) you cant help but laugh it off.They are a one man team with a Chelsea loanee being the main man.I wonder how good they would be without him.Why are they even posting on a Fulham forum anyway?
They're not posting, I am
Whenever I can find the time I post a selection of views from opposing fan forums, sometimes its  full of football specific comments ( tactics, injury info, lineups etc.) other times its a winge or chest beating. Most of the teams have 3 or 4 forums and when I can get access its remarkable how different the tone can be between the different sites.
Probably much the same with us and the various Fulham boards.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2016, 01:52:59 PM
Quote from: Wearethewhites on September 23, 2016, 01:39:12 PM
This is really laughable. Not one of them has mentioned that they practically played against 11 kids on Wednesday, and that we'll be fielding a completely different 11 Saturday, and it could be a completely different turn of events for them. I'm hoping this is the weekend we start to click and bang in goals. 

Yes this is our cunning plan, they will wonder what hit them on Saturday, when the real Fulham FC are there to welcolme them, like Lambs to the slaughter, and send them packing down the M4, with their tails between their legs, and with a flee in their ear.

I hope so.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2016, 11:10:13 AM
One issue they are correct about, and that is our support, the Fulham support at home is embarrassing apart from a few hundred passionate fans, the rest seem to lose their voices, every home games the same, not enough passion or support from Fulham fans if you measure it by noise alone, we are as quiet as a bloody morgue with the doors locked, and it seems to have got worse over the years.
I feel sorry for the supporters who voice their support and try and encourage others without success, where's the heart and passion it's far too quiet, and the players must be aware. Away it is a lot different cause most of our away support are the passionate ones, but at every home game it's embarrassing to be out sung by a much smaller away support, and there are no excuses, for some reason we are never going to be the most passionate and loudest, but at least make an effort, it's shameful and makes us a laughing stock at our home ground, nowonder they all love a visit at the Cottage, cause it's like another home match to them.

Bring back the clappers.

SP

Even QPR fans are witty in comparison to this lot, bar the odd voice of reason.  An away win is always something to celebrate but a team with 11 changes verses a team with 9 changes?

Bill2

Quote from: FFCFOREVER on September 23, 2016, 12:30:19 PM
Agree 100%, Abraham's was the turning point in the game. When he goes back next season, or maybe Jan they will struggle.

_Putney_