No Premier B teams, no Rangers/Celtic

Started by daib0, September 23, 2016, 01:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daib0

The Guardian

EFL puts definitive end to controversial plan to include Premier League B teams

• Governing body also closes door on Celtic and Rangers joining league
• League One and Two clubs reject idea of taking part in winter break

The 72 Football League clubs have definitively ruled out the prospect of Premier League B teams playing them in league football or Rangers and Celtic joining them as part of a planned revamp.

Really informative article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/22/efl-rules-out-including-premier-league-b-teams-in-plans-for-new-league-structure

End phrase took my attention

"The mechanism for arriving at the new structure via promotion and relegation in the 2018-19 season is still to be decided. At its most extreme it could mean seven teams being relegated from the Championship that season and three coming up from League One. More likely is some form of compromise whereby fewer teams are relegated."

Thoughts?

A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

westcliff white

And that's how it should be, don't want b teams or rangers / Celtic

The Scottish club thing is a joke, if they were to (and it makes no sense to me at all) play in our leagues then why should they go in at the top, any club affected by this should then sue for compensation.
Every day is a Fulham day

jarv

Agree, no B teams and as a Scot, Rangers are 4th division at best and Celtic probably championship.

Jamie88

Not that I'm for Celtic and Rangers joining in any way, but how is it possible that Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham etc. are allowed to play in the football league?

General

Quote from: westcliff white on September 23, 2016, 02:05:47 PM

The Scottish club thing is a joke, if they were to (and it makes no sense to me at all) play in our leagues then why should they go in at the top, any club affected by this should then sue for compensation.

I'm slightly confused as to why the scottish leagues haven't been intergrated into the EFL/Premiership, especially as the welsh has. Why has one got preferential treatment? I think having scottish teams throughout our league systems would add a lot of culture and value add to our country and leagues.

Mince n Tatties

It goes back before time started, Cardiff Newport and Swansea
were originally in the Soutern League, and came through to the
Football league I believe, and Wrexham from Northern Premier.
English clubs could enter Welsh cup until 1990s.
Crewe Alex won it.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2016, 03:56:35 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 23, 2016, 03:55:02 PM
It goes back before time started, Cardiff Newport and Swansea
were originally in the Soutern League, and came through to the
Football league I believe, and Wrexham from Northern Premier.
English clubs could enter Welsh cup until 1990s.
Crewe Alex won it.

Good on the Railwaymen.

Ive always had a soft spot for the Alex and like to look
out for their results.
Amazing the amount of good players they've produced to go and
play at higher level.

daib0

A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

Bill2

Quote from: General on September 23, 2016, 03:44:26 PM

I'm slightly confused as to why the scottish leagues haven't been intergrated into the EFL/Premiership, especially as the welsh has. Why has one got preferential treatment? I think having scottish teams throughout our league systems would add a lot of culture and value add to our country and leagues.
Because Scotland want to retain their Scottish FA and if they merged they would have to give it up, they know that the general quality of Scottish football is low but they want the chance to enter all the EUFa and FIFA competitions.

Not sure why the Welsh sides are allowed to integrate but they are governed by the English FA, which is why teams like Airbus get to enter the European Cup under the Welsh FA but the teams like Swansea can't.

The Swan

The Swan

General

Quote from: Bill2 on September 23, 2016, 06:05:52 PM
Quote from: General on September 23, 2016, 03:44:26 PM

Because Scotland want to retain their Scottish FA and if they merged they would have to give it up, they know that the general quality of Scottish football is low but they want the chance to enter all the EUFa and FIFA competitions.

Not sure why the Welsh sides are allowed to integrate but they are governed by the English FA, which is why teams like Airbus get to enter the European Cup under the Welsh FA but the teams like Swansea can't.

Much more informative post - thanks! Interesting the Welsh FA have a two pronged approach to making it work out. Something similar could work for scotland in my own books. Celtic park, Rangers and a few of the clubs up north have infrastructure to compete on a attendance basis with lower league english clubs.

daib0

I believe we're looking at 5 divisions of 20 clubs almost surely in the near distance future...

daib0

What about, if we have 5 leagues of 20 (I understand the idea is that 8 Conference/Vanarama teams come in to make it a 100 total):

Premier League
Championship
League Div 1
League Div 2 North - League Div 2 South

??

Then the 'poorer' clubs would have more derby matches and less distance to travel!

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: daib0 on September 24, 2016, 01:10:37 PM
What about, if we have 5 leagues of 20 (I understand the idea is that 8 Conference/Vanarama teams come in to make it a 100 total):

Premier League
Championship
League Div 1
League Div 2 North - League Div 2 South

??

Then the 'poorer' clubs would have more derby matches and less distance to travel!

It makes numerical sense but is this system broken? I see no reason to relegate 7 teams from multiple leagues to even out the books when this seems to have worked. The north/south divide is the only benefit I can see and that does make sense for the cash strapped lower league teams and their fans.