watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Please stop blaming the manager

Started by Chutney, September 25, 2016, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chutney

At the end of the transfer window I started a post to explain my opinion that we need to stay off the managers back if results start to drop, we do not have a squad capable of fighting for promotion, I was slaughtered for this, called negative by almost everyone. We are making progress compared to last season and if we continue to do so we will be in a good place.

The entire point of my previous post was to try and urge us to all support jokanovic, after yesterdays result so many on here immediately criticised the manager. Please try and realise he can only work with the tools he's given. Our two best attacking players were sold, and we have recruited poorly in that department, Martin is lazy and nowhere near as good as McCormack.

My biggest worry after a good start and a apparently good window (lots of people claiming this despite never having seen our new signings play) was that we would expect way too much from the current squad, I have every confidence that Jovanovic can get us a mid table finish, and we will build from there. This is progress. I am urging everyone to take a step back and see where we were last year and where we are today. We are capable of finishing around 10th and we will not be in a relegation battle, just enjoy a season where we will have ups and downs but without worry.

The future is bright at Fulham, but stop expecting too much, we simply don't have a squad capable of top 6 at this point in time. And please, don't start calling for Jovanovic's head when results are not going our way.
C O Y W

@jolslover

Fair enough, Good to see a more positive post, Agree with most of what you had said.

Except Re Mccormack. Mccormack cant play up top on his own, So wouldnt have fit our current system.
STH H3

bill taylors apprentice

I'm of the opinion that there's a world of difference between getting on the managers back and putting an opposite view on team selection and tactics.

I also believe its totally fair to comment on perceived mistakes in team selection and errors in tactics and game management.

I consider myself competent in the above and will continue to offer my opinion regardless of others views.

I believe the team selection, formation and tactics have been our undoing in recent matches and that's mainly down to the manager.

I do accept the team is still lacking quality and the right kind of players in some positions.

Lighthouse

The manager has repeatedly made the same errors with the same results since the window closed and has made the same excuses. Now as manager he is responsible. Otherwise he might as well pack up and go home now and just say the squad isn't the one I would have chosen and it aint my fault.

But he is the manager. The argument as to how good a manager he is, has been open to debate. But we are all mostly in agreement that time is needed. But the criticism he has been given by many has been very fair. He needs to sort things out. The warnings were there for all to see in the cup game. They were repeated in the league game. I am sure we will end up half way down or up the league and will be contented with that. Or not. But his mistakes, as well as the players, are open for fair criticism. On the whole that is what he is getting. We can see the problem, the opposition can see our problem. It is up to the manager to try and change the players and tactics to stop the problem.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2016, 05:11:32 PM
Quote from: Chutney on September 25, 2016, 01:50:33 PM
This is progress. I am urging everyone to take a step back and see where we were last year and where we are today.

Just to give even more context on this "progress" point:

This time last year, last match:
Lost 3-0 at home to Wolves. Scottish midfielder (Cairney) sent off.
This year, last match:
Lost 4-0 at home to Bristol. McDonald sent off.

Last year, points after 9 games: 11 pts
This year: 13 pts

Last year, position after 9 games: 14th
This year: 13th

Last year, next 6 games: DDDWWL (9 pts)
This year: who knows,
but can you see us getting 9pts from the next 6?

Considering our next 6 fixtures 9 points would be a big turn around and I would be happy with that.
Can I see it?
No !

ScalleysDad

To be fair I do not think anybody has yelled form the rooftops that he is 'shite' and that he will be our undoing. However the latter point will doubtless be a point of discussion son enough at the current rate!
Many have offered a more substantial debate on lack lustre performances, uncreative tactics and the chosen formation playing directly into the strengths of the opposition. For my part he is hailed as a Coach, indeed the Head Coach, but too often individuals play poorly in a system that beggars belief and we still do not have a pattern or style of play. The players are not talentless individuals but he has not improved anybody in his time here and we do not even have a core of players that set the tone and are the spine and strength of the team. As somebody else has said the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton, and I would suggest Reading have accomplished squads, workmanlike squads and a methodology about them which they can continue to build on. When their respective foundations are well settled we will still be discussing attacking options and changing the starting eleven.
Of course I am going to question SJ's credentials as he leads training, tactics and a game plan not the stats man who might have been confused to see four forwards on the books when we all wanted another one.

gang

quote// 'The manager has repeatedly made the same errors with the same results'.

Isn't this a sign of insanity, making the same mistakes and expecting different results

davew

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 25, 2016, 05:48:57 PM
To be fair I do not think anybody has yelled form the rooftops that he is 'shite' and that he will be our undoing. However the latter point will doubtless be a point of discussion son enough at the current rate!
Many have offered a more substantial debate on lack lustre performances, uncreative tactics and the chosen formation playing directly into the strengths of the opposition. For my part he is hailed as a Coach, indeed the Head Coach, but too often individuals play poorly in a system that beggars belief and we still do not have a pattern or style of play. The players are not talentless individuals but he has not improved anybody in his time here and we do not even have a core of players that set the tone and are the spine and strength of the team. As somebody else has said the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton, and I would suggest Reading have accomplished squads, workmanlike squads and a methodology about them which they can continue to build on. When their respective foundations are well settled we will still be discussing attacking options and changing the starting eleven.
Of course I am going to question SJ's credentials as he leads training, tactics and a game plan not the stats man who might have been confused to see four forwards on the books when we all wanted another one.
I can't stand heights otherwise I would be shouting, instead I have to do it indoors during and after each match lately, expect I will be doing the same in the week!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

St Eve

I have always been on the fence with SJ, but at the beginning of the season he was staring to win me over. Back to being on the fence.
Anyway the only point I wanted to make is I think he brought in 14 players. It is his team now so unless I am missing something doesn't he take a big chunk of the blame?

TimoFFC

I agree that our good start gave us unrealistic expectations but A loss to Birmingham City, a tie to Burton Albion and a 4-0 loss to Bristol City all at home are completely unacceptable results. That being said he needs to be given time.

MikeW

Sorry but I'm starting to lose faith in the bloke.  Come on, back office problems aside, he has a pretty decent squad here (plus a wealth of youngsters) and he seemingly hasn't a tactical clue.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Lighthouse

Quote from: gang on September 25, 2016, 05:56:38 PM
quote// 'The manager has repeatedly made the same errors with the same results'.

Isn't this a sign of insanity, making the same mistakes and expecting different results

Well yes but....um.....
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jims Dentist

Quote from: MikeW on September 25, 2016, 07:31:08 PM
Sorry but I'm starting to lose faith in the bloke.  Come on, back office problems aside, he has a pretty decent squad here (plus a wealth of youngsters) and he seemingly hasn't a tactical clue.
After the window closed Joka stated that he was pleased with the business done.
What has hapenned since has been down to him and his dreadful possession at all costs tactics.
How much more proof does he need that it does not work at home when the opposition sets up to counter it.

Max Headroom

The players are good, but we are lacking a goalscorer only. My observations.

The team is brand new, and has a lot more ability than last year. Where we are different to last year is that we are often the better team but are not winning. Last year we were never the better team but hung on.

We need to give SJ a bit more time. It is his team, and he needs a bit more time to get them to gel. If we had McCormack or dembele we would be in the top two. Chris Martin hasn't found his feet yet, but he will.

I may change my mind in a few games, but for now, please no manager merrygoaround. He is a good manager. getting someone new in with new ideas and this squad mix will NOT make things better

AlexW132

The problem I have with Jokanovic, which I've mentioned on other threads, is that his ballsiness and sense of pride seems to override what is the sensible and seemingly logical choice. He prides himself on his tippy tappy possession play which has proven to be very ineffective in this division. Now the logical choice would be to change the team mentality and implement a more direct, counter attacking style of play that I feel utilises our players to their best ability. Given that we specifically set out to buy pacey players such as Ayité, Aluko Kebano and Odoi in the window it seems a bit bizarre that they are forced to play a slow, precision game. The signs that our style would not work were first evident all the way back in the Cardiff game in my opinion. Slav should've recognized this at the time and reengineered our mentality. However I think his sense of pride in his Spanish style of play is what is preventing him from changing to the style more fitting for this Physical, direct league. If I were him I would swallow my pride and do as above, though I really can't see it happening. I think he'll continue to persist with the style, with the belief that enough wrongs will finally make a right. Should he go? Not yet. We've fired enough managers in the past few years to know that it just brings about instability and a bad reputation. But if things don't turn around sooner rather than later then I wouldn't be surprised to see him axed.

AlexW132

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 25, 2016, 10:53:45 PM
Quote from: AlexW132 on September 25, 2016, 10:27:29 PM
The problem I have with Jokanovic, which I've mentioned on other threads, is that his ballsiness and sense of pride seems to override what is the sensible and seemingly logical choice. He prides himself on his tippy tappy possession play which has proven to be very ineffective in this division. Now the logical choice would be to change the team mentality and implement a more direct, counter attacking style of play that I feel utilises our players to their best ability. Given that we specifically set out to buy pacey players such as Ayité, Aluko Kebano and Odoi in the window it seems a bit bizarre that they are forced to play a slow, precision game. The signs that our style would not work were first evident all the way back in the Cardiff game in my opinion. Slav should've recognized this at the time and reengineered our mentality. However I think his sense of pride in his Spanish style of play is what is preventing him from changing to the style more fitting for this Physical, direct league. If I were him I would swallow my pride and do as above, though I really can't see it happening. I think he'll continue to persist with the style, with the belief that enough wrongs will finally make a right. Should he go? Not yet. We've fired enough managers in the past few years to know that it just brings about instability and a bad reputation. But if things don't turn around sooner rather than later then I wouldn't be surprised to see him axed.

You make some very good observations, and I have to agree with most of what you say.

Cheers, Woolly.