watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (22.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 21, 2010, 10:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/7957727/Fulhams-Bobby-Zamora-is-a-top-class-striker-for-all-seasons.html

Fulham's Bobby Zamora is a top-class striker for all seasons

No matter which club you support, if you've had a season ticket for the last 10 years you will have seen Bobby Zamora play.

By Duncan White

Published: 11:00PM BST 21 Aug 2010

The Fulham striker takes on Manchester United on Sunday afternoon, flush with confidence after winning his first England cap, but it has not always been this glamorous: on his way to the top Zamora has played in every single division in his career and at practically every ground in league football.

"I truly loved getting here the long way round," he said. "There's probably not another player who has been to more grounds than me.

"It's changed a bit now because some of those that used to be in League Two have gone out of the league and new ones have come in.

"But I've played at probably every football league ground in the country – there's only a handful, maybe four or five, I haven't played at."

Zamora did his apprenticeship at Bristol Rovers before moving to Brighton, where he achieved successive promotions – from League Two to what became the Championship – and made his reputation by scoring 83 goals in just 136 appearances.

"To play in every division was brilliant. I wouldn't change it for the world – I'm glad I did it that way than just playing the Premier League the whole time. It was special to go to places like Torquay and up to Carlisle on the coach."

No better man, then, to extol the virtues of football up and down the country.

It is a testament to Zamora's increased profile that he has been one of the players chosen to help promote England's 2018 bid ahead of the Fifa inspectors' arrival on Tuesday.

He was down at Heathrow's Terminal Five on Friday afternoon, putting his signature on an electronic board that passengers can sign in support of the bid.

"It is about the bigger picture," he said. "I lived in Canary Wharf for many years and just seeing the difference that the Olympics has made to the area is massive.

"Obviously having another tournament on that scale would benefit all sorts of areas across the country."

Zamora was raised in West Ham and went to school in Barking. His father came to London from Trinidad, initially to work as a welder, and met Zamora's mother when working down in Bournemouth.

It is England's, and especially London's, diversity and cosmopolitanism that Zamora thinks will help the bid succeed.

"In London itself, there is every country represented, people living in this city from everywhere in the world. London in itself would reach out to every country in the tournament."

Those finals will come too late for Zamora, who turns 30 in January, but he is just revelling in his career's fine autumn.

Having made it to the Premier League the first time, Zamora's progress stalled. A move to Tottenham did not work out and he dropped back to the second tier, moving to West Ham, the club he supported growing up in East London.

In 2005 he scored the only goal in the play-off final, against Preston, to take West Ham back to the Premier League and to get his second chance at elite football.

Yet it was not until last season, with Fulham, that Zamora fulfilled on the promise of those free-scoring years at Brighton.

Under Roy Hodgson's intense coaching regime, Zamora flourished, scoring 19 goals as Fulham finished a comfortable 12th and reached the final of the Europa League, losing to Atletico Madrid in Hamburg.

"I think simply being able to play a lot of games was the key," he said. "The season before it was pretty much a newly formed team. Roy had been in for half a season and then had a season of laying the foundations.

"Then last season we did justice to all the hard work the players had been doing. For me it was great: everybody knew exactly what I wanted, how I wanted the ball played to me. I knew exactly the runs other players would make.

"There was a togetherness and a willingness to work hard for each other. The performances followed."

And there were many fine performances too.

Arguably Zamora's most impressive was the way he destroyed Italy's 2006 World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro in the Europa League, the Juventus defender getting sent off as his team lost 4-1 on the night and 5-4 overall.

Then there was last season's 3-0 defeat of United at Craven Cottage.

"I think we tend to play well against a lot of the bigger teams, teams that let you play," he said. "We're a team that likes to play.

"It's going to be tough. Obviously we did well last year but it's not going to be like that this year. We're going to have to go out and give our all just o get a point out of the game. We're realistic about what's coming."

Zamora's pragmatism stretches beyond Sunday afternoon. After the heroics of last season, Fulham fans might struggle to readjust their expectations to more prosaic goals.

"Survival is the bottom line. It's not about Europe, it's about 40-something points and survival.

"There are a number of teams now that have got big money and it just gets frightening. It narrows the field for everybody else."

There are greater ambitions in play for Zamora, though. He is optimistic of being called up for next month's Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland after making his debut against Hungary.

At 29 he is late coming to international football – he came very close to playing for Trinidad and Tobago – and is determined to play in a major tournament after missing out on the World Cup.

Fabio Capello had included Zamora in his provisional 30-man squad but had to pull out because of a persistent Achilles injury.

"I had the discussion with Franco Baldini [Capello's right-hand man] but I knew I wouldn't be able to do myself or my country justice," he said.

"I was devastated but there was no point in going. I wasn't training Monday to Friday for the last month of the season. I was just trying to settle it down for the games that were coming up."

There could be one final twist in Zamora's compelling career, once he decides his time at Fulham is done.

"I'd love to play abroad," he said. "I'm curious. Having played in Europe now and seen some different countries I'd definitely be interested."

He needs some new stadiums to play at, of course.

White Noise

Rooney blow for United: Troubled striker ruled out of Fulham clash

By Bob Cass

Last updated at 9:40 PM on 21st August 2010

Wayne Rooney will be a shock absentee from Manchester United's clash with Fulham after being struck down by stomach bug.

It could not have come at a worse time for the England striker, who has gone 13 games without a goal for club and country.

Rooney was desperate for the opportunity to end his 18-hour goal drought and even turned up for training yesterday, but he was withdrawn from the match by the club doctor, ordered home and told not to have any contact with any of the players or staff because of the risk of him passing on the gastro viral infection.

The news will come as a setback to England manager Fabio Capello as his star striker needs to hit form before England's crucial European Championship qualifier with Bulgaria at Wembley a week on Friday.

Capello will have to wait for Saturday evening's home game against West Ham to assess Rooney's well-being.

Sir Alex Ferguson had intended naming the same starting line-up which beat Newcastle 3-0, but Rooney's absence will mean a first start for Javier Hernandez.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1305098/Rooney-blow-United-Troubled-striker-ruled-Fulham-clash.html#ixzz0xHGe33rg

White Noise

Michael Owen given Fergie boost: United boss hands his fit-again striker seal of approval

By Bob Cass and Joe Bernstein

Last updated at 9:48 PM on 21st August 2010

Michael Owen will be welcomed back into the Manchester United fold against Fulham on Sunday afternoon, with an assurance from Sir Alex Ferguson that the former England striker does have a future at the club.

Owen seemed to have fallen behind United's Mexican World Cup star Javier Hernandez in Ferguson's affections after spending much of the build-up to the season insisting he could still play a role in United's search for silverware.

When Owen was not named in the 18-man squad for the club's opening Premier League game against Newcastle, it looked as though he would be left on the fringes.

But the 30-year-old will be on the bench at Craven Cottage today and will be included when Ferguson presents his compulsory 25-man squad to the Premier League a week today.

With a host of homegrown players and Under 21s, the United manager is in a better position than any of his title rivals as far as the new regulations are concerned.

Ferguson said: 'Michael has no worries about his situation. He is an important member of the first-team squad. The development of our young players means we'll have about 30 players available. I am very comfortable with the situation.'

With Brazilian midfielder Anderson back in full training after injury, Ferguson's only concerns are over Rio Ferdinand, who is expected to be out for at least another month, and Owen Hargreaves, whose return remains in some doubt.
Full support: Sir Alex Ferguson has given his backing to Owen
Owen, who scored only three Premier League goals as he missed the last three months of an injury-interrupted first season at Old Trafford, knows he will have to earn his place in the team, particularly with Hernandez showing such promise early in his United career.

The former Liverpool striker said: 'Obviously, the fans are really excited about the new signings, particularly Javier. It will be interesting to see how he settles down.

'It is difficult to come from foreign countries with the different food and weather, particularly around the turn of the year when it's freezing. But so far, so good.'

Ferguson believes Hernandez has already trebled in value since he was signed for £7million before the World Cup. The Mexican is an extra obstacle for Owen, who also has Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Federico Macheda for competition.

Owen said: 'The hardest thing from my view is not playing certain games and then all of a sudden being called up and you are meant to be ready.

'You can do lots of work in the gym but until you play you don't benefit from those movement patterns. I felt good in preseason in Ireland but not so sharp at Wembley.'

Another of Ferguson's veterans is more certain of his place. Long-serving Manchester United star Paul Scholes has been hailed as the best midfielder in England in the last 10 days, despite an accusation from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger that he has a 'dark side'.

Paul Scholes: Still pulling the strings in United's midfield at the age of 35
Scholes, 35, who has largely kept his thoughts to himself during a 17-year career at Old Trafford, said yesterday that his reputation for poor tackling 'did not bother him one little bit' and insisted he preferred being criticised to being praised.

The midfielder, who will be in action at Fulham today, said: 'I don't like compliments, I prefer criticism. I'd rather people have a go so I can prove them wrong. Criticism of my tackling doesn't bother me one little bit. Obviously I have missed a few tackles, but who hasn't?'

Unfortunately for Scholes, he has been showered with praise after a superlative start to the season, with Ferguson saying: 'He's just an incredible footballer. It's phenomenal that he can go out and perform like this approaching his 36th birthday.'
Wenger has been the one dissenting voice, praising Scholes as a performer but saying he has not always been the 'fairest' of players. The Arsenal manager said: 'For me, he was not a fair player. There's a little bit of a darker side in him, sometimes, that I did not like.'

Scholes has never been tempted to leave United. He said: 'It's a no-brainer. What is the point? I am from Manchester and Manchester United is the best club so why move?

'It is half an hour from home to the training ground and Old Trafford and we win trophies. I have never been bored or fancied a change.'

Scholes, who turned down the chance to play for England at the World Cup after he was given two hours by Fabio Capello to decide, said he would like to be a manager or coach when he retires.

'Hopefully, when I finish I will be offered a job somewhere. It would be nice if it was at United.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1305095/Michael-Owen-given-Fergie-boost-United-boss-hands-fit-striker-seal-approval.html#ixzz0xHIU8YB8

White Noise

Hughes: Sir Alex was right

Published 09:01 21/08/10

By Pa Sports

Fulham manager Mark Hughes admits the emergence of Paul Scholes proves Sir Alex Ferguson was right to bring to an end to his own career at Manchester United.

Ferguson sold Hughes to Chelsea in 1995 and the former Wales striker believes the emergence of Scholes, who remains a class act at 35, was the catalyst for his departure.

"I could see Paul's quality back then and I think he hastened my exit!" he said. "I left at the same time as Paul Ince and Andrei Kanchelskis because Alex had complete faith in the young players like Scholes, David Beckham and Nicky Butt."

He added: "They were the future and I was the past. Sir Alex always was and still is very good at making key decisions at the right time. He got that one right."

Hughes expects Ferguson to arrive at Craven Cottage for Sunday's clash intent on reminding a player he managed for seven years of the pecking order.

"I've never come up against a weakened Man Utd team and maybe he likes his former players to know our place!" he said.

"He's always competitive but has a lot of affection for guys who have played for him and taken the next step through to management.

"He's always supportive but always likes to beat you.

"My relationship with him now is probably better than when I was a player.

"As a player I was grateful he allowed me to play in his team and that was it, but now I'm a manager we're closer."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Hughes-Sir-Alex-was-right-article560047.html#ixzz0xHQHpwjQ

White Noise

Murphy keen to hold his hoodoo over Fergie's men

Published 23:00 20/08/10

By Mike Walters

Bogeyman Danny Murphy has been haunting Sir Alex Ferguson for a decade - and he hasn't given up the ghost yet.

Ever since his stranglehold over Liverpool was broken at Old Trafford 10 years ago, Fergie's domain has been at the mercy of Murphy's law.

And the Fulham skipper renews his love-hate affair with Manchester United at Craven Cottage tomorrow (he loves scoring against Fergie's lot, and they hate him for it), admitting: "Sir Alex must be sick of me by now."

Murphy, 33, scored the winner three times in four seasons for Liverpool at Old Trafford, and he was on the mark in each of Fulham's two Premier League wins against United at the Cottage.

American broadcaster Dorothy Thompson once observed: "Fear grows in darkness - if you think there's a bogeyman around, turn on the light." But it might take more than a few lightbulbs to keep Fergie's old bugbear at bay along the Thames towpath.

In 645 senior appearances, Murphy's strike rate from midfield - 111 goals in all competitions - is by no means sluggish, yet there are few opponents, if any, who have enjoyed such rich pickings at United's expense.

He said: "You can't dwell on the past - the first time we beat them at Cottage they had Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney sent off, and the second time they had three of the back four missing.

"In the Premier League, you kind of pick the teams you might beat, but Man United are never among them. Although we've beaten them two years on the spin, that doesn't mean you go into this one thinking it will be three in a row.

"But it's funny how players have teams they tend to do well against, and as well as scoring three winners for Liverpool at Old Trafford I've managed to score a couple here for Fulham.

"Maybe it's something ingrained in me, being brought up as a fan to love Liverpool and hate Man United. It's strange, and I can't fathom it out, but long may it continue.

"Old Trafford has always been a happy hunting ground for me - I made my England debut there and I can still remember my winners for Liverpool there clearly. The first one was a free-kick, the last one was a penalty and the other was best of the lot, a little chip.

"I don't know if United fans hate me, but I hope so. I've got a lot of friends who were season ticket holders at Old Trafford, but the general feeling from their crowd when I play there is one of hatred.

"I think that's a compliment, it means I've done something well against them. I smile about it, and it's cool that I grew up with some of the people abusing me now.

"After the first goal at Old Trafford, a mate of mine who has a season ticket and used to get the coach to Old Trafford every week from where he lived in Chester rang me to say well done after the game.

"Another United fan overheard him and gave him a little slap, which you have to laugh at, and that first one was the most relevant because it was the first time Liverpool had won there in 10 years."

Ferguson left Craven Cottage, decked in seasonal holly, shortly before Christmas last season chewing furiously on his gum and cursing a familiar nemesis.

To Murphy's surprise, however, His Fergieness bore no grudges when the pair crossed paths socially, adding: "I'm sure Sir Alex is getting a bit sick of me now and he would probably like to see me injured this weekend! I've met him a couple of times at charity functions over the years and I was pleasantly surprised by his jovial manner.

"But what can you say about him? He's probably one of the greatest managers of all time. He keeps shaping and building new teams, and the thing which amazes me, after all his years of success, is that he still has the same desire to win it again.

"Although his brilliance as a manager has caused me so much stress, as a player and fan, what he's done for that club is only to be admired. It's going to be a hard job for whoever replaces him, which is going to happen one day, but his successor will come in and inherit a wonderful club."

*Danny Murphy appears in EA SPORTS' FIFA 11. FIFA 11 is out October 1st on all formats.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-v-Manchester-United-preview-Danny-Murphy-is-keen-to-keep-up-his-scoring-record-against-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-s-men-article559759.html#ixzz0xHQe82qH

White Noise

Deadly Murphy is Dan United

By VIKKI ORVICE

Published: Today

DANNY MURPHY reckons Alex Ferguson would probably prefer him to be crocked tomorrow.

Manchester United travel to Craven Cottage, with Fulham's 33-year-old skipper boasting an impressive record against them.

His penalty set up a 2-0 home success in March 2009 and he again hit the opener in last December's 3-0 Cottage win.

Murphy has also helped Liverpool to glory at Old Trafford, grabbing the decider in three 1-0 triumphs in four seasons.

He joked: "I'm sure that Alex Ferguson is getting a bit sick of me now. He'd probably like to see me injured this weekend.

"My record against them is strange. Obviously, you have these teams you just do well against.

"Maybe it's something ingrained in me, being brought up to love Liverpool and hate Manchester United. I can't fathom it out but long may it continue.

"My mates back in Liverpool are always happy if I do them a favour. Old Trafford was a good place for me. I made my England debut there and have scored goals there.

"Do United fans hate me? I hope so! But it's all light-hearted banter really."

Chester-born Murphy, who spent seven years at Anfield and joined Fulham in 2007, added: "You pick the teams where you might win but United are never among them.

"Yet we know if we play well and they have an off day, we can beat them. We've done it two years on the spin.

"It will be difficult but the Cottage is a good place for us. We have a great record against them over the past two years and we will give it a go again."

United old boy Mark Hughes will also be aiming to make his mark as the new Fulham boss.

Murphy added: "We're on a new adventure under Mark Hughes and I'm hoping it will be positive, because he has a good track record."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3105277/Danny-Murphy-is-deadly-against-Manchester-United.html#ixzz0xHRE1D3R

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/915952/HODGSON-TARGETS-MEXICO-WORLD-CUP-STAR.html

HODGSON TARGETS MEXICO WORLD CUP STAR

Roy wants new left-back

By Aidan Magee, 21/08/2010

ROY HODGSON will move for PSV Eindhoven's Carlos Salcido if he fails to land Paul Konchesky.

The Liverpool boss remains hopeful of signing the Fulham defender but has the Mexico international up his sleeve as a back-up plan.

Salcido, 30, has 77 caps for his country and has twice won the Eredivisie title since arriving in Holland from Mexican side Guadalajara in 2006.

Hodgson needs an experienced first choice left-back despite re-signing Fabio Aurelio following his release from Anfield at the end of last season.

The Reds chief played Daniel Agger out of position in the role against Arsenal and is determined to bring in another specialist.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/915998/BEGOVIC-IS-TRANSFER-WINDOWS-MOST-WANTED.html

BEGOVIC IS TRANSFER WINDOW'S MOST WANTED

Quartet fancy Bosnian

By Dan King & Neil Ashton, 21/08/2010

STOKE goalkeeper Asmir Begovic is at the centre of a tug-of-war between a number of clubs as transfer deadline day looms.

Chelsea, Manchester City, Fulham and Middlesbrough are all in the hunt for the Bosnia international.

But Stoke boss Tony Pulis is playing hardball, blocking a loan move to Championship side Boro on Friday after the club had previously rejected a £4million offer from Chelsea. The Premier League champions are yet to receive an answer to an improved £4.5m bid for the 23-year-old keeper, who joined Stoke from Portsmouth for £3.25m only last January.

Begovic has started the season as understudy to Thomas Sorensen at the Britannia Stadium and his future may now depend on how Fulham resolve their goalkeeping dilemma.

Mark Schwarzer is determined to go to Arsenal and if Fulham receive an acceptable offer, their preferred replacement would be Manchester City's Shay Given. City would be interested in Begovic as a replacement for Given.

But the Republic of Ireland international has confided that he is not keen on the move, which would leave Begovic as the prime candidate to fill Schwarzer's shoes at Craven Cottage. Begovic is particularly attractive to the top clubs because his time at Portsmouth's academy means he qualifies as a homegrown player under the new rules.

A source close to Begovic said: "Asmir is really frustrated. He just wants to play football."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/916801/Incredible-42000-a-week-rise-planned-for-City-star.html

SWEET HART

£42,000-a-week rise for City star

By Aidan Magee, 21/08/2010

JOE HART will be given a mammoth £18million pay deal to recognise his new status as Manchester City's No 1.

The England keeper has three years left on his contract but is currently one of the lowest-paid members of the squad on a reported £28,000 a week.

Now the club want to up his money with a five-year deal worth £70,000 a week.

Hart, 23, appears to have won the battle with Shay Given for the starting place after the Republic of Ireland international was told he could leave.

The former Shrewsbury trainee played at Tottenham last week and turned in a man of the match display in the 0-0 draw.

Just three days earlier he had impressed for England in the 2-1 win over Hungary at Wembley and made a solid claim to be first choice for Fabio Capello's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

Now City will wait until the transfer window closes at the end of the month and then attempt to broker talks on a new five-year deal worth £70,000-a-week and get it signed before the end of the year.

The club also want to put Hart further off-limits by placing a £20m price tag on him even though his new status means he is very unlikely to seek a transfer.

Manager Roberto Mancini met Hart and Given at the training ground on Monday and explained his selection plans to both players.

Given, 34, has since been linked with moves to Arsenal, Fulham and Celtic.

Now City are thought to fancy Stoke's Asmir Begovic as back-up for Hart.

Hart's successful loan spell at Birmingham last season helped him return to Eastlands in the summer and take advantage of Given's shoulder injury.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/916325/ROONEY-OUT-OF-FULHAM-ENCOUNTER.html

ROONEY OUT OF FULHAM ENCOUNTER

Striker calls in sick

By Neil Ashton

WAYNE ROONEY is out of Manchester United's clash at Fulham on Sunday.

The United striker called in sick at United's Carrington training centre on Saturday morning and did not travel with the team to London.

Rooney has not scored for United since March and had been desperate to set the record straight at Craven Cottage.

He is now 1067 minutes without a goal for club or country, but has been backed to return to top form by Sir Alex Ferguson.

Rooney was sent off at Craven Cottage two years ago and was in the team soundly beaten 3-0 last season.

Ferguson claimed Rooney would not play until September after a poor World Cup, but he was pitched straight into the team for the Community Shield.

He set up Antonio Valencia's goal with a neat ball across the box, but is a shadow of the striker who was named PFA Player of the Year.

Rooney looked short of confidence in the 3-0 victory over Newcastle last Monday and Ferguson decided to take no chances yesterday.

Rooney scored 34 goals for United last season, but he has not scored since the Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich in the Allianz-Arena.

Although he returned to the United team for the second leg, he was forced off shortly after half-time with a recurrence of his ankle injury.

Despite Rooney's insistence that he was fully fit going into the World Cup, his performances at the tournament suggested otherwise.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/916354/THREE-SY-FOR-RED-DEVILS.html

THREE-SY FOR RED DEVILS

21/08/2010

MANCHESTER UNITED are looking to reach 1,500 total Premier League points at Fulham today and I can't see how the Cottagers are going to stop them.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already landed a trophy this season with the 3-1 Community Shield win against Chelsea and their league campaign started with a solid 3-0 victory over Newcastle.

Fulham fans will point to the fact they have beaten United on their last two visits - and a win today would make them only the third side in Premier League history to land three consecutive home wins against the Reds.

But don't let that fool you. United have won 10 of the last 12 meetings between the sides, notching 30 goals in the process.

Fulham have at least scored in eight of their last nine home games against United so a 3-1 away win appeals at 14-1 with skybet.com

And while a single on United at 8-13 is only really for big-hitters, backing them to lead at half-time and full-time makes sense at 8-5 with boylesports.com

United new boy Javier Hernandez may well get the nod to start up front today and if he does, the Mexican will be a decent bet at 11-2 with bet365.com to notch the opening goal.

White Noise

http://a-kick-in-the-grass.blogspot.com/2010/08/fulham-vs-united-reds-out-to-avenge.html

Fulham vs United: Reds out to avenge three nil mauling...

Manchester United travel to Craven Cottage this weekend looking to avenge two away defeats on the spin at Fulham. The Red Devils will be without long-term absentees, Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves and Anderson.

Ferguson has confirmed Anderson has been unhappy about being left out of the United starting line-up and there has been suggestions the player wanted to leave the club last season, it remains to be see what will happen when he returns to full fitness, because the Brazilian hasn't done enough to warrant a regular starting place having failed to live up to expectations.

Sunday's match will mark Mark Hughes first home game since taking charge of the West London club and the former City manager will be keen to get one over on his old boss and United in front of the home fans.

In the corresponding fixture last season amidst a defensive injury crisis, the trio of Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher and Ritchie De Laet were set the task of forming a experimental three-man back-line by Ferguson; the tactic backfired spectacularly as United's makeshift defence failed to deal with Bobby Zamora who led the Fulham attack superbly.

With Nemanja Vidic likely to partner Jonny Evans at the heart of the United back-four, Ferguson will be expecting an altogether more professional performance from his defenders.

Match facts
Sunday, 4pm kick-off.
Venue: Craven Cottage.
On the box: Sky Sports 1

Recent away history against Fulham:
2009/2010
Premier League
Fulham 3-0 Manchester United

2008/2009
Premier League
Fulham 2-0 Manchester United
FA Cup
Fulham 0-4 Manchester United

2007/2008
Premier League
Fulham 0-3 Manchester United

Recommended bets:

First goal-scorer: Dimitar Berbatov looks to be in red-hot form. Back United's Bulgarian striker to be first goal-scorer with odds of 6.50 (11/2) at Extrabet.com

Correct Score:
United to win 2-0 7.50 (13/2) at William Hill.com

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/20/squad-sheets-fulham-manchester-united

Squad sheets: Fulham v Manchester United   

(12)Tweet this (17)

guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 August 2010 19.14 BST Article history

Mark Hughes may find that Roy Hodgson is a very hard act to follow and never more so than on a day when Manchester United visit.

Under him, Fulham defeated these opponents 3-0 and 2-0 on their last two trips to Craven Cottage. United, all the same, have looked fresh and incisive so far in this campaign while beating Chelsea, in the Community Shield, and then Newcastle United in the Premier League, with half-a-dozen goals scored in total and veterans such as Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes looking in fine form. Kevin McCarra

Venue Craven Cottage, Sunday 4pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Fulham 3 Manchester United 0

Referee P Walton

This season's matches n/a

Odds Fulham 11-2 Manchester United 8-13 Draw 3-1

Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic Fulham
Subs from Stockdale, Zuberbühler, Baird, Kelly, Stoor, Riise, Dempsey, Milsom, Greening, Dikgacoi, E Johnson, Elm, Dembélé

Doubtful Konchesky (ankle), Schwarzer (back)

Injured A Johnson (knee, Oct), Kamara (foot, Oct), Senderos (achilles, Feb)

Suspended None

Form guide D

Disciplinary record Y3 R0

Leading scorer n/a

Manchester United
Subs from Kuszczak, Brown, Rafael, Gibson, Obertan, Park, Neville, Fábio, Hernández, Smalling, De Laet, Carrick, Owen, Berbatov, C Evans, Cleverley

Doubtful Evra (knee), Fábio (leg)

Injured Anderson (knee, 26 Sep), Ferdinand (knee, 26 Sep), Hargreaves (knee, unknown)

Suspended None

Form guide W

Disciplinary record Y2 R0

Leading scorers Berbatov, Fletcher, Giggs 1

Match pointers
• None of the last 11 league games between these sides has ended in a draw

• If Manchester United win they will become the first side to have collected 1,500 points in the Premier League era

• A win for Fulham would make them one of only three sides to have recorded three consecutive Premier League home victories against United

• During United's first match Paul Scholes made 104 passes – more than any other player

• Fulham have played United in August on three previous occasions and have lost all of those games

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/08/the_great_dempsey_debate.php

The Great Dempsey Debate

Posted by Phil Mison 6 hours, 25 minutes ago

Seems our American followers are galvanised into rushing to the defence of Team USA star Clint Dempsey whenever anyone posts reservations about his value to FFC.

My mailbag has not exactly been bulging, but nothing it seems currently quite polarises opinion more than discussions on Clint's potential future role under Hughes.

Let me say from the get-go I'm a big admirer of Clint's ability and attitude as a footballer. I think he's been a great asset to Fulham since arriving and I personally hold no grudge against him for that streaky goal that denied us a win in South Africa(!)

I'm neither a qualified coach, nor do I spend 5 days a week at Motspur Park with the lads out on the training ground. However, I can appreciate how Fulham managers past and present have sometimes scratched their heads over how best to fit Dempsey into the starting formation.

Lest we forget, when Hodgson kicked off the 2008 season Dempsey was in Woy's eyes seen as a fringe squad member. He forced his way back into the reckoning after coming on to grab a late equaliser at Portsmouth that Autumn.

Was he a striker? Whenever Fulham play Clint as the advanced striker - either as a sub or through injuries - he has to my mind invariably struggled. He is clearly not a recognised winger, though his control, skill on the ball and eye for goal do make him an attractive proposition offensively. He's also useful in the box with his head. But perhaps in tracking back and work rate overall the guys in the tracksuits see certain deficiences? Who knows.

I have yet to see the new boy in live action, but I sense Dembele has been acquired to be that quicksilver 'fox in the box' type of forward the side currently lacks. Again, untidy goals, tap ins and just being in the right place are not what Demps is all about. He's more likely to try his luck from range or go for the spectacular - viz away at Stoke and home to Juve last season.

It is as hard for many Fulham fanatics to contemplate Gera going back to the bench as it is for our American army to suggest Clint might be headed in the same direction. But I have a hunch Hughes is going to cast our Yank in the role of 'super-sub' in the weeks to come.

Unless Clint can persuade him otherwise through performances on the pitch. And for that priceless winner home to Liverpool in 2007 that saved our skins, Dempsey should always have a special place in our hearts.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/08/up-next-manchester-united-h-2/

Up next: Manchester United (h)

by Dan on August 21, 2010

Roy Hodgson might have raised the profile of one of English football's friendlier clubs in the past few years, but it when comes to Manchester United, Mark Hughes certainly won't be thanking him for the comparison. The new Fulham manager faces one of his former employers tomorrow afternoon knowing that, after two comprehensive home wins in the last two seasons at Craven Cottage, Hodgson has set the bar ridiculously high.

Given the way Sir Alex Ferguson's side swept past Chelsea in the Community Shield and dismantled Newcastle in their opening fixture of the league campaign, a third straight success seems like a tall order. Ferguson will face none of the headaches that troubled him in the build-up to last season's fixture, where he decided to play a back three (comprising of two midfielders and a promising youth-teamer) to try and make up for a host of defensive injuries. United are largely free of injury concerns and the main worry surrounds the form of Wayne Rooney, toasted only a few months ago as the man likely to rampage through the world's best defences – and now without a goal in more than 18 hours. What's the betting his barren run will end tomorrow afternoon? He surely won't batter the Putney End corner flag in frustration again, will he?

Murphy and Etuhu's midfield industry holds the key for Fulham tomorrow

Fulham's best chance of upsetting the applecart once again will come from discipline and endeavour in midfield. Whilst Ferguson's evergreen veterans, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, looked in sparkling form at Old Trafford on Monday night, they – like most of the United midfield – were afforded far too much room by Newcastle. Hughes won't allow Fulham to be quite as accomodating and the pressing of Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu was one of the main reasons why United were so unable to flourish down by the Thames during Hodgson's reign. The Nigerian enforcer will need to impose himself upon the contest early, ensuring that the likes of Scholes, Fletcher and Giggs don't have too much time to pick a pass, whilst Murphy always seems to raise his game against Ferguson's side. If they can dovetail effectively in the Fulham engine room, then that might allow the likes of Damien Duff and Zoltan Gera to provide Bobby Zamora, who starred in Fulham's 3-0 success last December, with the sort of service upon which he thrives.

Stubborn defence will also be vital if the home side are to prosper. Even if David Stockdale did impress having been handed a late call-up to the side that drew at Bolton last week, the presence of Mark Schwarzer in the home goal would be a big psychological boost. Paul Konchesky, who has been linked with a move to Liverpool ever since Roy Hodgson headed up to Merseyside, is still trying to shake off an ankle injury and Stephen Kelly could be called upon to deputise once again at left back. John Pantsil might not have Cristiano Ronaldo to frustrate any more, but he could have hands full with the dangerous running of Antonio Valencia or the peerless Park Ji-Sung, who remains one of the top flight's most underrated performers.

Hughes has spoken of a need for Fulham to improve upon their attacking play. The Whites were actually pretty adventurous at home last season, but with injuries still denying Hughes the services of potential partners for  Zamora – Andy Johnson isn't expected back from a knee injury for another month at best, whilst Diomansy Kamara's foot injury will leave him sidelined until October – they can still be a little predictable going forward. New signing Moussa Dembele has not yet received the neccessary international clearance to make his debut, so the trusted Gera-Zamora axis will get another go but you sense Hughes is still trying to work out just how to accomodate the most creative players in his squad.

Fulham looked toothless at times up at Bolton on the opening day and only really perked up when Clint Dempsey replaced Gera with a quarter of an hour to go. The American has the ability to take on opponents and produce something unexpected, but is likely to be only an option off the bench again tomorrow. With United likely to try and lay down a marker early on, Fulham will need to be defensively durable and take their chances. Another point would be a fantastic return.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu, Murphy, Duff, Davies; Gera; Zamora. Subs: Stockdale, Baird, Stoor, Greening, Riise, Dempsey, Elm.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6327284,00.html

Hughes - We can do it again

New Cottagers boss aiming for another upset

Last updated: 21st August 2010   

Mark Hughes is hoping to record his first win as Fulham boss against Manchester United and end a poor run against his former club.

As Manchester City boss Hughes suffered three consecutive defeats against Sir Alex Ferguson's men, but the former Wales manager reckons his side are up to the challenge after earning a hard-fought point at Bolton last weekend.

Hughes is determined to start life at Craven Cottage on a triumphant note, though he knows a United side fresh from Monday's 3-0 victory over Newcastle will be hard to topple.

"This is my first competitive home game so I've been looking forward to it," he said.

"The fact it's Manchester United makes it more difficult from a professional point of view and we know we're up against it.

"We have a good record against them at Craven Cottage and hopefully we'll build on it.

"It's a challenge because they have started very well, look fresh and have added younger players to the squad.

"But the old stagers are still having an impact and influence on the game. They have a good mix."

Upset
Fulham sprung one of the upsets of last season when they thrashed United 3-0 with the last 15 minutes played against the backdrop of home fans chanting "we want four, we want four".

"It was an important win because you have to have the knowledge that you can overcome the best," said Hughes.

"The players now know they have the ability to beat the top teams. We'll have to match that performance."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6327008,00.html

Tiene eyes Prem switch

African star linked with top flight clubs

Ivory Coast left-back Tiene Siaka has revealed he is confident of securing a switch to the Premier League from Valenciennes.

The 28-year-old defender, who can also play in midfield, currently plies his trade in the French top flight but could be allowed to leave for €1.5million (£1.2m).

English clubs West Ham, Fulham and Wolves are thought to be chasing his signature, and Tiene has revealed he has instructed his agent to begin negotiations.

He told skysports.com: "The club has given me a blessing for a transfer and I have told my agent based in England to find me a club there

"I have other contacts but my first priority is to play in the Premier League. I am looking forward to that.

"There is nothing concrete as yet but things might go quickly in the next 48 hours.

"I am confident. I have a contract here so I am relaxed. I hope to realise my dream of playing in the best league in the world."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3293498,00.html

Fulham v Man Utd preview

United out to avenge consecutive Craven Cottage defeats

By Jonathan Witty   

Manchester United will be looking to end an unwanted losing streak when they visit Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Sunday.

Two seasons ago nine-man United were humiliated 2-0 by Roy Hodgson's men and the Cottagers improved on the feat with a 3-0 success last term.

The two games represent the only two occasions when United have failed to score against Fulham in 11 meetings, but Sir Alex Ferguson insists there is a "score to settle".

Ferguson will attribute last December's defeat to a defensive crisis that saw midfield duo Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher play in the back four, and he is determined to stop the home side completing a hat-trick of wins.

Mark Hughes will be hoping to keep the run going in order to secure his first win in charge of Fulham.

Former United striker Hughes will be hoping to continue the Cottagers' excellent record against the Old Trafford side, instead of his personal record against his former club.

As Manchester City manager, Hughes faced United three times and lost all three games, the final one a particularly galling 4-3 defeat at Old Trafford last September.

With uncertainty over the future of in-demand goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, Hughes will be hoping his back-line can cope with the threat of Wayne Rooney and the rejuvenated Dimitar Berbatov.

Rooney has not scored for United since March, but will be determined to open his account on Sunday and help United to a long overdue victory in West London.

Fulham news
New Fulham signing Moussa Dembele could make his debut against United.

Dembele completed is move from Eredivisie side AZ Alkmaar this week and could feature.

Transfer target Schwarzer is a doubt after missing last weekend's goalless draw at Bolton with a back strain, so David Stockdale could continue.

Defender Paul Konchesky could make is first start of the season after missing the Reebok encounter with an ankle injury.

United news
Ferguson should be able to name the same squad that faced Newcastle on Monday.

Patrice Evra has shrugged off a knock and is set to continue at left-back, but long-term injury worries Anderson and Rio Ferdinand (both knee) will not be involved.

Anderson returned to training this week after suffering a cruciate ligament injury in February that ended his season and wrecked his hopes of appearing at the World Cup for Brazil.

Ferguson reckons Ferdinand could return next month after surgery following a medial ligament problem.

Possible starting XIs
Fulham: Schwarzer, Hughes, Hangeland, Pantsil, Kelly, Murphy, Etuhu, Davies, Zamora, Duff, Gera.

Manchester United: Van der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Fletcher, Scholes, Valencia, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov

White Noise

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/craven-cottage-defines-our-season/

Craven Cottage Defines Our Season

August 21, 2010

159 Comments

Craven Cottage has given us mixed memories over the past few years. As the final whistle has blown, it has given us a feeling that our season might have been defined.

2006-2007

Looking back, this season is one of my favourites. This season was full of insecurities. Despite leading all the way through, after going years without a title and seeing so much unsatisfactory football played by too many substandard players, I was almost waiting for us to mess up.

Our game at Craven Cottage felt like that day. We went a goal down after less than 20 minutes played and you had to wonder whether we going to blow our lead. It was only February which meant we had plenty of times to drop a few more points after today.

Giggsy drew us level before half-time but we weren't playing well and a draw wasn't good enough really.

To give a bit of context, we'd just beaten Lille away thanks to a dodgy Giggs freekick. Yeh, it was within the rules, the ref didn't say "on my whistle" and Giggs' quick thinking earnt us an away 1-0 win. But after this Fulham game, we had Reading away in the FA Cup, after a disappointing 1-1 draw at home. I was nervous that we weren't quite there mentally yet and were starting to show signs of crumbling.

But then, with just two minutes on the clock, Cristiano Ronaldo, who was on 15 league goals, sprinted down the left flank. He kept going and going, shrugging off players, before rifling the ball in to the net. God, how good did that feel?

He ran off towards the bench, pointing at Gabriel Heinze (remember when we liked him?) who had told him before kick-off he had a feeling that Ronaldo was going to make the difference that day. This was United returning to their old winning ways. The winning ways of 1999 and before. It felt loving brilliant.

We went 9 points clear and the following weekend we beat Liverpool at Anfield in injury time. Two months later we won the league again.

2008-2009

We had just got battered 4-1 by Liverpool at home. Ahead of kick-off against the dippers I had been fully anticipating us tearing away and then coasting to our third title. Worst case scenario we'd draw but essentially, it was in the bag.

This devastating result left us four points clear with a game in hand. We went to Craven Cottage at the end of March, just a few weeks left, desperate to get our title campaign back on track.

So, when Paul Scholes handled on the line, got sent off and conceded a penalty, you knew it was going to be a long day. They scored the penalty and we went in 1-0 down at half-time. Sir Alex Ferguson waited until half-time to bring on Rooney, who did change things, and United started to look like they could get something out of it.

But then they got us on the break, going 2-0 up just before the end of the game, then Rooney got sent off. Phil Dowd was his usual celeb-seeking self then gave Wazza his second yellow for the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

We were now just 1 point clear with a game in hand and had to wonder whether our title hopes were slipping away.

They weren't. We won our game in hand and won the league by 4 points.

2009-2010

We lost 1-0 to Villa at home and a fortnight later faced Fulham away. This game summed up our season. Our back five consisted of Tomasz Kuszczak, De Laet, Carrick, Fletcher and Evra. It was no surprise then when we got ripped to shreds.

Michael Carrick made Bobby Zamora look like Pele, as he shrugged him off time and again.

Two defeats in three league games. The Daily Mail wrote: "When Sir Alex Ferguson looks back on this draining, demanding season, he may decide that this was the day the title was lost."

2010-2011

A game so early on in the season can rarely define your season but there's no denying that this is a very important three points with more difficult fixtures on the horizon.

Come on United!

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/match/45986/fulham-vs-man-utd/preview

Premier League Preview: Fulham – Manchester United

By Gill Clark

Cottagers plot hat-trick of wins over United

Fulham manager Mark Hughes welcomes Manchester United to Craven Cottage as he takes charge of his new club for the first time at home in the Premier League.

Whilst the Cottagers have a good record against the Red Devils in recent seasons - they have beaten them twice in United's last two trips to west London (including last season's 3-0 demolition) - Hughes has only beaten his former club as a manager once.

Fulham will have to go one better than last weekend when they opened their new campaign with a goalless draw away to Bolton Wanderers, in a game that was most notable for stand-in goalkeeper David Stockdale's first class performance.

Stockdale could be called upon once again as Mark Schwarzer, whose future at the club remains unclear with Arsenal lurking, is still struggling with a back problem.

Golden oldies

The visitors, meanwhile, will hope to continue their perfect start to the season after following up their 3-1 win over Chelsea in the Community Shield with a 3-0 victory over Newcastle United at Old Trafford on Monday.

Once again it was 35-year-old Paul Scholes who inspired Sir Alex Ferguson's men to victory with fellow veteran Ryan Giggs supplying the third goal to ensure he has scored in every single Premier League season since its inception.

Both men are likely to be involved again but United will also be looking to Wayne Rooney to return to form after a quiet start to the season, on a ground where he was sent off in the 2-0 defeat in 2009.

Indeed Ferguson has this week admitted his side have had a "topsy-turvy time" on their last two visits to Craven Cottage, including last season's defeat when injuries forced him to field a back three of Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick and Richie de Laet, and he admits United have "a score to settle".

TEAM NEWS

Fulham

Mark Schwarzer is again a doubt and will have a late fitness test. Paul Konchesky could return to the starting line up having missed the opening day trip to Bolton.

Possible starting XI: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Duff; Gera; Zamora.

Manchester United

The visitors continue to miss Rio Ferdinand, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves through injury. However, Michael Owen should be part of the squad having missed out altogether against Newcastle. Patrice Evra is fit, despite a collision with some advertising hoardings on Monday night, whilst Ji-sung Park could also get a first start of the season.

Possible starting XI: Van der Sar; O'Shea, Vidic, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Scholes, Fletcher, Park; Rooney, Berbatov.