watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Standing

Started by BedsFFC, October 06, 2016, 12:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes White

I seem to remember the Hamburg Arena was a safe standing example and we all certainly stood up there with no probs!!

_Putney_

Quote from: westcliff white on October 06, 2016, 06:50:24 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on October 06, 2016, 02:44:22 PM
Should everyone remain seated when there's a goal out of fear of falling forward? 
Don't think anyone said that, I know I didn't.

I'm asking the question, aren't I?

As you seem to be concerned about people falling over when standing, I think the question is relevant.

toshes mate

Quote from: King_Crud on October 06, 2016, 11:34:19 PM
Tens of thousands do it safely in Germany every week

And in many leagues in the UK and other countries too.   Standing is as safe as you make it by correct use and placement of barriers.  Some comments have been made about crushes and disasters but almost all of these occurred because of breakdowns in control of people entering or leaving grounds.   Any one who has been in a road vehicle accident and still uses the road will know accidents happen whatever you do and however you do it.  You try to minimise risk and that is all you can do.

nose

Quote from: Lewes White on October 07, 2016, 06:50:10 AM
I seem to remember the Hamburg Arena was a safe standing example and we all certainly stood up there with no probs!!

except for masses of people that didn't want to stand and couldn't otherwise see.

nose

Quote from: toshes mate on October 07, 2016, 09:35:24 AM
Quote from: King_Crud on October 06, 2016, 11:34:19 PM
Tens of thousands do it safely in Germany every week

And in many leagues in the UK and other countries too.   Standing is as safe as you make it by correct use and placement of barriers.  Some comments have been made about crushes and disasters but almost all of these occurred because of breakdowns in control of people entering or leaving grounds.   Any one who has been in a road vehicle accident and still uses the road will know accidents happen whatever you do and however you do it.  You try to minimise risk and that is all you can do.

using barriers between every row of people is a good idea and I now have seen done in many german stadiums.... but i am still unsure if you are directed to a particular row and space. It is exactly the issue of crowd control that is fundamental. I did look at the stuff on line re the german experience and it is much better than I realised.

My only comment is if safe standing is allowed then hopefully everyone will sit in the seated areas, save for when a goal is scored or one thinks that however unlikey at our club one might be scored!!!!

Kent Cassandra

One issue there has always been at Fulham is that there are only two exits because of the river.
In the pre sitting days it was always a crush to get out of the ground especially at the Hammersmith end. Many a time especially when I was a kid I would get carried out of the ground without my feet touching the floor.I always felt it was just a matter of time before someone fell over and a disaster happened, thank God that never happened.
Seating seems to have taken care of that issue.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 06, 2016, 07:36:10 PM
I have no objection to a safe standing area, I am not sure if I would use it myself. Maybe or maybe not.
But if standing is so unsafe, then why do people sitting in seating area start standing when we are charging towards the opponents goal, because as you all know, when the row in front stands up, the row behind them stands up to see the action, and it then has a domino effect all the way up. So suddenly a whole stand that was sitting suddenly stands up. Why, why and thrice why.
If everybody stayed sat down everyone could still see as much action as if they had stood up. So what is the point of having an all seater stadium , if half the time the occupants are standing up, that is more dangerous than safe standing. Supporters standing in the back row are exempt as they are not blocking anyone's view.
What I am staying is, what is the point of having a seat if your going to stand up half the time, blocking other people's views. Absolute madness, how can you be one of these people who stand up blocking people's views, then poo poo safe standing, absolute madness.
As for me, I prefer to sit and stay sat, until we score, that's different to standing up everytime we cross the half way line.
So safe standing I may or may not use, I don't mind standing in the back row of a standing area, but please don't criticise it when your standing up in a seating area.
Thank you and Goodnight.

westcliff white

Quote from: _Putney_ on October 07, 2016, 08:41:52 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on October 06, 2016, 06:50:24 PM
Quote from: _Putney_ on October 06, 2016, 02:44:22 PM
Should everyone remain seated when there's a goal out of fear of falling forward? 
Don't think anyone said that, I know I didn't.

I'm asking the question, aren't I?

As you seem to be concerned about people falling over when standing, I think the question is relevant.
MY point was standing behind those that are seated could be dangerous if someone slips. But everyone celebrating a goal for two minutes is a lot different to standing the whole game behind seated people in my opinion, if someone were to sip the club could be in trouble, but who am I to show concern for fellow fans

For the 3rd time though I am not against standing areas if they are set up and stewarded correctly and safely, I just said they are not for me.
Every day is a Fulham day

Patrick

I will be standing at Brentford...four weeks tonight....

filham

I can remember those 40,000 gates at the Cottage with the majority of us standing on the terraces .At the time it never occurred to us that there was any safety risk.

Yes introduce some terracing at matches outside of the premiership but ensure that good safety regulations are in place and are monitored.