News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Greed Of Some Players(Will it Ever End)

Started by Mince n Tatties, October 07, 2016, 09:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

Personally, I'd probably be happy for half the £70G a week.  I haven't got the electrifying burst of pace any more being sixty bloody five but can just about catch my grandson over 6 paces at a push. He's three mind. 093.gif
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

YankeeJim

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 07, 2016, 03:59:02 PM
Xenophobic is just another adjective, one of many, when used by individuals who are losing the argument.

So, its ok to issue a stupid insult but not ok to respond?  :wow:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 08, 2016, 02:36:01 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on October 07, 2016, 09:15:44 PM
Xenophobic is just another adjective, one of many, when used by individuals who are losing the argument.

I do not recall anyone issuing any stupid insult recently.

So perhaps you consider this a clever insult?

Quote from: HatterDon on Today at 08:23:39 AM
How many on this board would turn down a pay raise of any amount?

From Mince n Taties
Definetly not you I shouldn't think,that's all you yanks
live for  isn't it?..
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Alexis

But the thing is that many of these footballers end up having to retire by their mid-thirties if they are lucky. Many have not even have had a proper education because of how academies work. There simply is no fallback option in case of a sudden major injury. Not all players who retire gets to be on MOTD or has a lifelong sponsorship. Singers and actors earn a lot more money compared to athletes in general, but you don't see anyone complaining about the millions that they earn per movie.
Fulham 来了!

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Alexis on October 08, 2016, 03:30:58 AM
But the thing is that many of these footballers end up having to retire by their mid-thirties if they are lucky. Many have not even have had a proper education because of how academies work. There simply is no fallback option in case of a sudden major injury. Not all players who retire gets to be on MOTD or has a lifelong sponsorship. Singers and actors earn a lot more money compared to athletes in general, but you don't see anyone complaining about the millions that they earn per movie.
That argument is old hat,people lose their jobs everyday
and they haven't been earning sickening amounts of money,and they get another job that's what they do.
Of course all players don't make these obscene sums,couple lads share a house round the corner from
me,they play for Cambridge Utd in league 2,a plumber
earns more a week than they do.
These players earning these 100,000+ a week wages
wouldn't need to work again after they retire with that
sort of money being saved every week.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: HatterDon on October 08, 2016, 02:58:30 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 08, 2016, 02:36:01 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on October 07, 2016, 09:15:44 PM

I do not recall anyone issuing any stupid insult recently.

So perhaps you consider this a clever insult?

Quote from: HatterDon on Today at 08:23:39 AM

From Mince n Taties
live for  isn't it?..

Didn't realise you were so soft centered Don,if you
don't know me by now I suppose you never will,the remark was tongue in cheek hence the question mark.
As our cousins north of the border would say,.....!Dinna
Tak It Ta Heart Laddie!.

Alexis

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 08, 2016, 07:13:35 AM
Quote from: Alexis on October 08, 2016, 03:30:58 AM
That argument is old hat,people lose their jobs everyday
and they haven't been earning sickening amounts of money,and they get another job that's what they do.
Of course all players don't make these obscene sums,couple lads share a house round the corner from
me,they play for Cambridge Utd in league 2,a plumber
earns more a week than they do.
These players earning these 100,000+ a week wages
wouldn't need to work again after they retire with that
sort of money being saved every week.
I understand your point, but footballers that earn 100k a week are such a minority that they don't even contribute to the national problem of inequality. They are simply the cream of the crop. Almost anyone with enough money and resources can become a doctor. There are over 280 thousand registered doctors in the UK alone. As petty as it is, the ability to kick a ball into the back of the net at an elite level (there are less than 100 of these type players worldwide) is a highly valued and rare skill that sponsors and fans are willing to dump obscene amounts of money on these players. To paraphrase a certain comedian, athletes are rich, but the businessman that gives them their cheques is wealthy. It's just basic economics: the more rare something is, the higher price it will fetch in the market. Won't anyone, regardless of his or her talent (especially knowing that you are exceptionally good at what you do) will want to get as much money as they could possible? Especially with an occupation where an injury as "small" as breaking one's leg has lifelong consequences. I don't know about you, but I want to save as much money as I can considering that one's athletic prime does not even span 2 decades. Call them greedy if you want, but as long as they are doing their job properly then they have the legal right to request for a raise if they deem so necessary.
Fulham 来了!

Slaphead in Qatar

And political correctness is another term people use when they are losing the arguement.

alfie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 07, 2016, 02:59:19 PM
Quote from: alfie on October 07, 2016, 02:22:18 PM
So i guess if you asked for 70grand payrise and your company was willing to do it, or another company was, would you not take that opportunity, i know i would.

For a start I wouldn't have ever been offered or asked for that sort of money.
And my life doesn't revolve round money like yours
obviously does.
The pleasures I get out of life like spending a few hours
a week helping out at my local animal rescue centre is worth more than anything.
But you wouldn't understand about that would you
living in the money orientated world that is London.

Wow how bloody rude are you, if you must know i work in the NHS and do very long hours for not much money, so before you go around making daft comments like that you perhaps needs to think before you type.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 07, 2016, 03:01:19 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on October 07, 2016, 02:23:39 PM

live for  isn't it?..

No that is not all the yanks are here for, remember what we said about all the American troops who were here in WW2.  "over here, over paid and over sexed". The American forces were paid a lot more than our own men but of course the differences fall into complete insignificance compared to the modern footballer.

There is just no reason at all why we should accept the ridiculous money that is being paid today to top players.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: alfie on October 08, 2016, 08:50:49 AM
So i guess if you asked for 70grand payrise and your company was willing to do it, or another company was, would you not take that opportunity, i know i would.

obviously does.
a week helping out at my local animal rescue centre is worth more than anything.

Wow how bloody rude are you, if you must know i work in the NHS and do very long hours for not much money, so before you go around making daft comments like that you perhaps needs to think before you type.

That's excellent that you work in the NHS Alfie,but you
could very well be one of the top dogs on half a million a year,only joking..lol.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions it wasn't a personal attack on you..Coyw.

alfie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 08, 2016, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: alfie on October 08, 2016, 08:50:49 AM

obviously does.

That's excellent that you work in the NHS Alfie,but you
could very well be one of the top dogs on half a million a year,only joking..lol.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions it wasn't a personal attack on you..Coyw.
Accepted with pleasure, but i guess we also need to think about the sort of money these top earners generate for the clubs concerned, players like Sanchez, Ozil, Beckham to name three, sell millions of pounds worth of merchandise around the world, if they were to get a percentage of the money generated they would probably be on a lot more than that, and yes i do think that the sort of money they earn is obscene for kicking a ball around, but i don't think anyone even you given the opportunity, would turn it down. Working in an animal rescue centre excellent, a proud and honourable thing to be doing.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

It's the market , though, isn't it?

The Prem generates a huge amount of money, and a top player is a priceless asset to clubs. if Sky and other TV companies withdrew its money tomorrow, then wages would go down. But they won't unless Prem football suddenly becomes les popular worldwide.

Doctor is an elite profession, which most are excluded from because of lack of elite education. Widening of potential candidates for the  job could mean less pay, but at the moment  the top doctors are very highly paid, while the junior doctors, with NHS cuts, and always  traditionally low paid - because they can make loads of money when they qualify-are complaining about pay and conditions, which they believe put patients at risk.

Not a good comparison for  football though, which is more like the  entertainment industry in the high pay available. But to keep getting the money, you have to keep  selling the product, or getting the results.

A pop star whose records stop selling, an actor no longer big box office, or a player who loses form or gets injured, will fail to make money, and  often ends up on the scrapheap at a young age.

Logicalman

Quote from: RaySmith on October 10, 2016, 02:23:11 PM

The Prem generates a huge amount of money, and a top player is a priceless asset to clubs. if Sky and other TV companies withdrew its money tomorrow, then wages would go down. But they won't unless Prem football suddenly becomes les popular worldwide.

Doctor is an elite profession, which most are excluded from because of lack of elite education. Widening of potential candidates for the  job could mean less pay, but at the moment  the top doctors are very highly paid, while the junior doctors, with NHS cuts, and always  traditionally low paid - because they can make loads of money when they qualify-are complaining about pay and conditions, which they believe put patients at risk.

Not a good comparison for  football though, which is more like the  entertainment industry in the high pay available. But to keep getting the money, you have to keep  selling the product, or getting the results.

A pop star whose records stop selling, an actor no longer big box office, or a player who loses form or gets injured, will fail to make money, and  often ends up on the scrapheap at a young age.

Very well put, and another profession we tend to ignore, but is on par with both those from the entertainment business is actors/TV Celebs. There are many, many grass roots and regional actors who get paid little to bugger all for their efforts, but then there are those that will demand huge amounts, here are just a few that are in that top bracket (all USD)
Angelina Jolie: 18M
Will Smith: 20M
Brad Pitt: 31M
Tom Hanks: 26M
Emma Watson: 34M
Oprah Winfrey: 82M
The average thespian (from salary.com) will earn in the region of 35K - 65K.

I guess you get for what you're willing to pay for in this world. Even after 18 years in my profession I get about 80% of my likely average  earnings, and I'm more than happy with that.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Logicalman on October 10, 2016, 03:01:09 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on October 10, 2016, 02:23:11 PM

Very well put, and another profession we tend to ignore, but is on par with both those from the entertainment business is actors/TV Celebs. There are many, many grass roots and regional actors who get paid little to bugger all for their efforts, but then there are those that will demand huge amounts, here are just a few that are in that top bracket (all USD)
Angelina Jolie: 18M
Will Smith: 20M
Brad Pitt: 31M
Tom Hanks: 26M
Emma Watson: 34M
Oprah Winfrey: 82M
The average thespian (from salary.com) will earn in the region of 35K - 65K.

I guess you get for what you're willing to pay for in this world. Even after 18 years in my profession I get about 80% of my likely average  earnings, and I'm more than happy with that.

I'm guessing those last figures are in a lifetime because most "actors/actresses" don't get paid at all. I feel sorry for talented people who just didn't get the break or are just not good enough to earn decent coin. I plumbed with two blokes who were out of this world at football but gave up because their heart was broken and they would rather earn a steady wage than the boom or bust professional football offers. One of them, smartest move he ever made, the other I think would walk into league one or maybe even our league right now. He is backpacking through South America with a georgious girl as we speak so I doubt he is thinking what might have been.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Statto on October 10, 2016, 03:14:44 PM
I sympathise with the people talking about free markets etc.because I generally believe in free markets and that people should be entitled to keep what they earn without feeling guilty about inequality etc.

But the OP was on about loyalty and he has a point. As a Fulham fan, if I was playing regularly with them on something like £50k/week, then Real Madrid come along and offer £300k/week, I'd stay at Fulham all day long.

People say, "none of us would turn down a pay rise" and, "players have a duty to earn as much as possible for their families"... sorry but you can't apply our standards to people earning upwards from 50x what we earn. £50k/week is about £40m over a 15-yr career. That's enough for pretty much anything any human could conceivably want. So would i say, sorry I'm going to spain because £40m isn't enough? no chance

I'm so with you but I don't blame patty Roberts for leaving because he wasn't playing. Cauley, lvc are getting just about enough game time to feel the club are being as loyal to them as they are expected to be to us. Hyndman wasnt. Can't blame the guy for leaving. Dembele.... That's a tough one. He got everything he could have hoped for from us apart from thinking he was better than us. He is a player for me that showed no loyalty. Not that he should but he never had Fulham in his mind.

alfie

Quote from: Statto on October 10, 2016, 03:14:44 PM
I sympathise with the people talking about free markets etc.because I generally believe in free markets and that people should be entitled to keep what they earn without feeling guilty about inequality etc.

But the OP was on about loyalty and he has a point. As a Fulham fan, if I was playing regularly with them on something like £50k/week, then Real Madrid come along and offer £300k/week, I'd stay at Fulham all day long.

People say, "none of us would turn down a pay rise" and, "players have a duty to earn as much as possible for their families"... sorry but you can't apply our standards to people earning upwards from 50x what we earn. £50k/week is about £40m over a 15-yr career. That's enough for pretty much anything any human could conceivably want. So would i say, sorry I'm going to spain because £40m isn't enough? no chance
Well then i can only admire you on 50K and turn down 300K, that would take some doing, as it is most unlikely to happen, we will never know    :54:
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

This is the real world.
What player is going to turn down a pay rise through loyalty these days. Every player knows his career could end tomorrow through injury, or maybe his club  could appoint a new manager with a  different style of play, and he's out the first team, put up for transfer, or his legs go.

Actually, I just heard on radio the moving story of a top Rugby League player, can't remember his name. Suffered a serious back injury  playing for Bradford Bulls, and the  team paid for his treatment, but when he broke down after his return to playing, the club abandoned him and stopped paying for his treatment, and he lost his house and couldn't support his family, and suffered severe depression.

OK, so not football , where top players can be set up for life in a season, but shows how sports clubs don't have much loyalty to their players, seeing them mainly as a financial asset, to be discarded when no longer of use.

And what about all the youngsters , who don't make it- their hope is built up, and then they are brutally discarded if  they're not seen to be good enough.