watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham chairman and what he thinks about promotion and demotion

Started by Friendsoffulham, October 11, 2016, 10:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Fulham chairman and what he thinks about promotion and demotion in the English game

Whites chairman and owner ponders the way a Premier and Football League club can be up one minute - and down the next

Up and down: Fulham owner Shahid Khan watches the Whites

In his other sporting world, Fulham chairman Shahid Khan is boss of the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars - a whole different ball game than English football.

As a result, the Craven Cottage landlord has revealed he's not sure about relegation and promotion in Premier and Football League.

That's because the only way a top club in America goes down is at the bank.

Clubs sell their franchise without a backward glance, so that one minute your St Louis team ends up in Phoenix, Arizona.

The one and only contentious comparison on this side of the pond is the arrival of MK Dons emerging from the old Wimbledon FC in 2003.

And even now 13 years after the fact, and with a different phoenix that was AFC Wimbledon arising from the flames, the disdain for Dons 'betrayal' still runs deep with fans.

After a season in which Fulham flirted with relegation, Khan is not so sure about the ups and downs of English football.

Does he like the drama of a battle to avoid the drop?

"You don't like it if it's happening to you" Khan said. "But it's history, and you've got to respect history.

"Relegation and promotion is a fact of life here, but leagues over there are closed."

Do you like the notion of relegation - even if it's happening to your team? Would love to know your thoughts below.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-chairman-what-thinks-promotion-12006398

Logicalman

OK, so we've established after 3 years he's managed to grasp the promotion/relegation concept (finally).

Now who says he knows nothing about footie then?  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

FFCAli

It's a shame no one managed/bothered to explain the facts of life to him 3 1/2 years ago.

Chutney

C O Y W

nose

I do suspect one problem is that many US based owners continue to think of this as a franchise which it is not
the clue is the word club
i do not think they grasp the psyche that a football club is more than just how much PR and glossy stuff you produce it is about emotion, place and heritage. a franchise is something else. mr khan speaks well but does not seem to undrstand what he has purchased and how to manage it. prehps if he would show up for a few games on the spin and not just have a handful of pics and vids taken at motspur he would get a btter feel for the thing.   MAF showed up and understood, this one does not show up and has not a clue what it is all about, sad but true.

cmg

This non-story adds absolutely nothing to our knowledge of our owner, nor does it provide any insight into his knowledge of, or attitude towards our game.

What he is quoted as saying (whenever it might have been said) is entirely factual and neutral. There is relegation in the English game and there isn't in the American one. It is unpleasant when it happens to you (us).

The paper has added some fairly irrelevant, although factual stuff about franchise movement.
The paper also adds the remark that Khan is 'not so sure about' relegation, which is at the very least misleading. Nothing quoted in the article expresses any doubt about relegation . It exists here. It doesn't over there. He doesn't like it when it happens.

Holders

I just couldn't envisage the justice of a situation where a team that succeeds in a  lower league should not reap the reward of success by being promoted. Likewise relegation, even if it happens to us (as it has often enough). What's the point of watching a game where there's nothing at stake except money. It just becomes theatre not a sporting contest.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Holders on October 11, 2016, 04:11:36 PM
It just becomes theatre not a sporting contest.
The way half of the 'Cast' drop and roll about without being touched, shows that 'Theatre' is closer to what it is becoming.
What would our great Jimmy Hill make of what has happened to Coventry City?  TBH that has nothing to do with bad owners.
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

H4usuallysitting

The one question I'd like to ask Mr Khant is...."had he ever watched a game of football (soccer), before purchasing Fulham"?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 11, 2016, 05:30:30 PM
The one question I'd like to ask Mr Khant is...."had he ever watched a game of football (soccer), before purchasing Fulham"?

Wow. I hope so. You'd think Mo would have invited him for a match prior to purchase at the very least.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

grandad

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 11, 2016, 05:30:30 PM

Go ahead & ask him via e-mail to Jim Woodcock. He does pass on all e-mails to Mr Khan.
Where there's a will there's a wife

love4ffc

Most Americans can't grasp the promotion/relegation system.  It just doesn't happen in American sports and no rich sports franchise owner is going to want his precious club to get relegated after a terrible season.  As has been said if that were to happen the owner would just pack up his club and move to a different city and start over.  Like a brat throwing his toys out of the pram. 

Personally think it would be great if there were a promotion/relegation system at least for the football (soccer) leagues of America.  Can't help but think it would help with the development of both players and clubs. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Logicalman

I just couldn't envisage the justice of a situation where a team that succeeds in a  lower league should not reap the reward of success by being promoted. Likewise relegation, even if it happens to us (as it has often enough). What's the point of watching a game where there's nothing at stake except money. It just becomes theatre not a sporting contest.

Welcome to American Sports!  :005:

Well, to be correct, welcome to the show about commercials during which the viewer might, or might not, see some sporting action of some kind, together with 50 replays of the same thing to pad out where the 'sponsors' didn't fill the gaps with more commercials. Only in the States can a game that actually lasts 60 minutes, has some sub-30 minutes of play and takes over 4 hours to complete in one sitting!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Logicalman on October 12, 2016, 07:02:34 PM

Well, to be correct, welcome to the show about commercials during which the viewer might, or might not, see some sporting action of some kind, together with 50 replays of the same thing to pad out where the 'sponsors' didn't fill the gaps with more commercials. Only in the States can a game that actually lasts 60 minutes, has some sub-30 minutes of play and takes over 4 hours to complete in one sitting!

You think football isn't about advertisement?? A football match's entirety is advertisement. It's just co-mingled with the game. There isn't a single second of a single match on Sky that doesn't contain advertisement. There isn't a moment sitting in a football stadium/ground watching a professional match where your brain isn't inundated with advertisement.

You're accurate in your description of most televised sports in The US but, you're kidding yourself if you think football isn't a show about commercials.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Logicalman on October 12, 2016, 07:02:34 PM

Dunno LT.   A five day Cricket match can end up a draw, Unfortunately for my team, Surrey, they now
have promotion relegation in the County league.
I think it's also the only sport that you can buy tickets for and are not even guarantee to see any of the game
because the match has finished by the 4/5 day.  (Rain taken into consideration: ie: Wimbledon)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

We have no idea when he had this Epiphany, it could easily have been 3 years ago and either it's an old quote,
or it's the first time he's been asked that question.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 13, 2016, 02:05:42 PM
We have no idea when he had this Epiphany, it could easily have been 3 years ago and either it's an old quote,

Or maybe he was asked the question 3 years ago, and just answered it

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on October 13, 2016, 02:30:42 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 13, 2016, 02:05:42 PM

Or maybe he was asked the question 3 years ago, and just answered it

:005:

hovewhite