watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

colonists needs advice

Started by YankeeJim, October 24, 2016, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

I have had an opportunity presented to me for next summer to take a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. Its 16 days and covers 4 countries with the bulk of it in Germany. Typical tourist things of course, but there are a number of days with free time in an assortment of places. Other than Russia, I've never been to Europe. I do love to walk around and explore. Do you lot think this is a good way to start what I hope to be any number of trips to the continent? any thoughts or advice? Do I need an adapter for my 110 volt doodads? The itinerary is listed as casual but as a good SoCal boy, casual means flip flops, shorts and tee shirts. I don't want to be an atypical ugly American. I can't help my physical appearance but I can effect my attitude. Thoughts?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

filham

Buy a pair of walking boots , read a couple of Bill Bryson books and plan a couple of weeks off road in England but remember to pack a waterproof.

UK power supply is 240v 50 hertz.

Texas White

No flip flops, beach pants or bandanas.

The Rock

I'd rather just go to Amsterdam then spend my money on following Fulham. And Fulham tv.

epsomraver

Quote from: filham on October 24, 2016, 07:23:49 PM
Buy a pair of walking boots , read a couple of Bill Bryson books and plan a couple of weeks off road in England but remember to pack a waterproof.

UK power supply is 240v 50 hertz.

Good advice for someone on a river cruise through Germany, don't mention the war!

bobbo

You'll get spotted as an American without even opening your mouth. So try hard to blend in , as stated no flip flops , loud shirts, or cameras round your neck. Sounds a great trip enjoy it Jim.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

YankeeJim

Forever Fulham

YankeeJim, is this a Viking River Cruise?  My wife and I keep talking about taking one of those eastern European river cruises.  It's an older crowd to be sure on the river cruises.  A common complaint I've heard is that they don't give you enough time to wander off the boat and see things.  Somebody told me this is a good site for info:  http://www.fodors.com/cruises/viking-river-cruises-712374 
I expect a full report when you get back. 

Roberty

Forget to 110 volt adaptor - they are expensive and don't work for very long

If you check the chargers for phone and laptop - they usually work over a range of voltages - so you would just need a plug adaptor from US to European (round two pin) - you can probably buy one online for less than you would pay in a shop.

If they do not supply a hair dryer - just buy a cheap one when you arrive - it will be half of the price for a voltage adaptor.

Also check if your equipment is dual voltage - some items have a switch to change from 110 to 220 volts
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Williams Tale

Also , whilst ln Germany , dont whistle or hum the dambusters tune !

Holders

You lucky so-and-so, that sounds wonderful. I always enjoy the little old German towns, they're so full of atmosphere. It's great to sample the local beers and food in the squares.

Please avoid checked shorts, socks with sandals or flip flops and baseball caps -all of which are such a give away!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Williams Tale

And saying    Have a nice day   all the time.

FFCAli

The cruise company will tell you what the on-board voltage is and type of plug.  They'll also give you more advice re clothes  -  like no shirts and flip flops at dinner maybe.  You'll see a bit of lots of places  -  ideal to give you an idea of where to return to but you'll wish you had more time in many places.

jarv

Budapest and Amsterdam are great places. I assume you will go through Vienna too, wonderful city. All have loads of cultural things to see. I was in Budapest during the communist era and it was awesome then (and very cheap but probably not so now).

It would be good if you have at least 2 days in each of the cities.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Jim,
A white hanky with a knot in each corner and a copy of any European newspaper which you can buy at your arrival airport,
try to change the paper every couple of days.

Either pretend you are deaf and dumb or occasionally shout out "absolutely splendid old chap" or "another cup of tea garcon" . On the other hand with Britain set to leave the EU !!!!!!!!!!
You could pretend to be a Walloonian and walk around saying "We don't want any Canadian goods here"  IN FRENCH

Absolutely no zoom lenses or "Texas beef is best" T-shirts
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

King_Crud

if you have trainers don't wear white sports socks pulled halfway to your knees

WayneKerrins

Definitely a trip to do Jim. As a previous poster said these cruises attract an older crowd 55 to retirees. Not sure if that bothers you or not.
Was in Budapest last week. Great city and one you should spend at least 2 days in.

YankeeJim

LOL
Thanks again one and all especially about the voltage adapter. I was looking at the normal temps and its pretty much a SoCal winter in July over there.
My first choice wasn't Germany but I was voted down by the rest of our crew. Don't know how I can get by without my camera, the one with a zoom lens. It is internal so not quite so obvious. I didn't ask about shorts. I'm sure they'd be nice for cruising days up on the sun deck. We are visiting several smaller cities and do get two days in Vienna, Budapest and Amsterdam. I was thinking trainers & jeans for the daytime strolls should be ok. I just don't want to "stick out like a sore thumb" over there anymore than necessary. I always seem to get a lot of people I've come across in Mexico and Central America that address me in Spanish so maybe I can fool a few. I suspect Nazi references should be avoided.  :005:

YankeeJim

Quote from: WayneKerrins on October 25, 2016, 07:55:40 PM
Definitely a trip to do Jim. As a previous poster said these cruises attract an older crowd 55 to retirees. Not sure if that bothers you or not.
Was in Budapest last week. Great city and one you should spend at least 2 days in.

If they attract an older crowd, I won't care since I'm a bit of an old fart myself. Surprisingly well preserved mind you, but old none the less. Must be the ale.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 26, 2016, 01:56:01 AM
Quote from: WayneKerrins on October 25, 2016, 07:55:40 PM

If they attract an older crowd, I won't care since I'm a bit of an old fart myself. Surprisingly well preserved mind you, but old none the less. Must be the ale.

You're right you are well preserved having met you.
Perhaps pickled would also be appropriate.
There are millions of refugees in Germany now, so you won't stand out.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES