watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why no Poppy shirts on Saturday ?

Started by Riversider, October 31, 2016, 03:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Every other home club wore them at the weekend but not us !
Most other clubs including QPR had a military presence including a bugler a path that we've never gone down , sadly in my opinion !
QPR even read out the names of all the QPR and Brentford players that had fallen during the Great War ,
We could and should do so much more.
If I missed anything from the weekend I will be absolutely delighted if somebody could point it out to me.

Roberty

As to why QPR & Brentford had poppies on their shirts - I have no idea

Are you sure all of the other clubs did?

A quick look at the Derby & Sheffield Wednesday photos shows that neither club had them on their shirt either

On the EFL website is the following announcement

The EFL and all 72 member clubs will unite to pay tribute to fallen servicemen, women and former players as part of Remembrance Sunday commemorations and the First World War Centenary.

Sky Bet League One and League Two clubs will honour those that lost their lives at war over the weekend of the 12-13th November, whilst the 24 Sky Bet Championship teams will pay their respects the following weekend on Saturday 19th November to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme which ended 100 years earlier on 18th November 1916.

Across all of the 72 member clubs between 12-19th November, there will be a minute's silence and an EFL wreath laid on the pitch prior to kick-off to remember and honour all of those that have fallen in battle. 

All 24 Sky Bet Championship teams will be wearing Poppy shirts and the matches will be played with a limited edition Poppy ball. To date, Sky Bet and EFL clubs have together raised nearly £250,000 for the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal from auctioning match-worn poppy shirts.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-remembers-remembrance-sunday-and-first-world-war-centenary-3386295.aspx
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Holders

Armistice day is 11th November, it's not even November yet. There'll be chrismas stuff in the shops next.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Riversider

Quote from: Roberty on October 31, 2016, 04:49:33 PM
As to why QPR & Brentford had poppies on their shirts - I have no idea

Are you sure all of the other clubs did?

A quick look at the Derby & Sheffield Wednesday photos shows that neither club had them on their shirt either

On the EFL website is the following announcement

The EFL and all 72 member clubs will unite to pay tribute to fallen servicemen, women and former players as part of Remembrance Sunday commemorations and the First World War Centenary.

Sky Bet League One and League Two clubs will honour those that lost their lives at war over the weekend of the 12-13th November, whilst the 24 Sky Bet Championship teams will pay their respects the following weekend on Saturday 19th November to mark the Centenary of the Battle of the Somme which ended 100 years earlier on 18th November 1916.

Across all of the 72 member clubs between 12-19th November, there will be a minute's silence and an EFL wreath laid on the pitch prior to kick-off to remember and honour all of those that have fallen in battle. 

All 24 Sky Bet Championship teams will be wearing Poppy shirts and the matches will be played with a limited edition Poppy ball. To date, Sky Bet and EFL clubs have together raised nearly £250,000 for the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal from auctioning match-worn poppy shirts.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-remembers-remembrance-sunday-and-first-world-war-centenary-3386295.aspx

Thanks for posting that, QPR and Sunderland made a very good tribute at the weekend hopefully we will do something similar against Sheffield Wednesday

Wolf

Some clubs use their Poppy shirts for more than one game. I know Aldershot Town wore Poppy shirts for two home matches both last season and the season before.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

ron

Quote from: Holders on October 31, 2016, 06:52:51 PM
Armistice day is 11th November, it's not even November yet. There'll be chrismas stuff in the shops next.

...although not for long....the Easter Egg manufacturers are beginning to get edgy.....

JHaynes Paperboy

Quote from: Wolf on November 01, 2016, 10:15:45 AM
Some clubs use their Poppy shirts for more than one game. I know Aldershot Town wore Poppy shirts for two home matches both last season and the season before.

Probably because it's a Barracks town.?

Holders

Quote from: ron on November 01, 2016, 11:31:26 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 31, 2016, 06:52:51 PM

...although not for long....the Easter Egg manufacturers are beginning to get edgy.....

I was in Tescos one chrismas eve when there was an announcement "would the customer who enquired about easter eggs please contact customer services". I thought it was a joke and laughed out loud but no-one else did. I asked later and apparently it was serious.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria