watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Celtic value Dembele at 40 million

Started by bobbo, October 31, 2016, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

Two or three big clubs looking at him so Celtic have done slapped that valuation on.

I know it's gone,past, dead and buried now but manipulation - cleverly no doubt - done us out of a big payday.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

The Road Less Travelled

We did pretty much the the same with PSG when getting Dembele as Celtic did to us.  Yes he was younger, but he was still one of the brightest striking prospects in Europe.  Hell, we signed Roberts from AFC Wimbledon for practically nothing and sold him for what could amount to £12million.  We do it to smaller clubs than us, and bigger clubs will do it to us.

hovewhite

VicHalomsLovechild

I think we did pretty well on the Smalling deal too.

cmg

We could have sold him with a year to go on his contract. We wouldn't have got much for him. He had only 2 goals in the League Cup to his name at that time. However we could then have had a sell-on clause.

Instead we chose to keep him, knowing that, unless he signed a new contract during the season, we would lose him at the end of the season for nothing more than statutory compensation. We were not able to convince him to stay (a number of supporters didn't want him to) but we did get 15 goals out of him.

With the benefit of hindsight we might have made a greater effort to get him to extend. Who knows what the details of any offer were? But those 15 goals may have saved us from relegation. How much would that be worth?   

Nero

I think him and his agent are smart cookies and wouldnt be surprised if he had a minimum release clause in his contract for champion league clubs and it wont be  40m.

Mince n Tatties

40 million, no way they will get near that for him..

Zendra

Has he done all that well anyway ?  He may  have scored a few for Celtic but  the standard of that league  is questionable.  I reckon you are taking a bit of a chance if you spend big bucks on him at the moment.

ron

...but Celtic are a very big fish, albeit in a very small pond, and that alone still adds authority to the overpriced....er..well,.. price.

gang

MJG

Quote from: cmg on October 31, 2016, 07:17:13 PM
We were not able to convince him to stay (a number of supporters didn't want him to)
Ain't it the truth?

toshes mate

We're never going to know what might have been had Dembele stayed at Craven Cottage, and so what's done is done.  Given the ridiculous amounts of money changing hands for pretty ordinary players I'd say Celtic will probably get what they are asking for.  I only hope, for the game's sake, he develops all the talent he has as he matures.  Time will tell.

RaySmith

He's look  great playing for Celtic, even if it is an easier league in many ways. It's very physical and competitive, but probably more space for a striker,  and less technically  capable  defenders.

Who can blame Celtic for cashing in - they probably need the money.

AS said, he wanted out, after doing an essential job for us with his goals, and  quite a few fans, it seemed, were glad to see him go.

I hope he continues to do well in his career.

cmg

And Celtic was an ideal move for him. High profile but less demanding than other top leagues.
Celtic are not renowned as lavish payers so I doubt that his wages are a great deal more than he might have got had he stayed with us, but, as they did not have to fork out to obtain him, no doubt he got a nice signing on package.
What he does get is to play in front of nigh-on 60,000 passionate fans in one of the great stadiums. Practically guaranteed silverware. European football. And a great  shop window for his next move which will be the big one for him. (Back to PSG?)

Southfield White

Quote from: The Road Less Travelled on October 31, 2016, 06:49:32 PM
We did pretty much the the same with PSG when getting Dembele as Celtic did to us.  Yes he was younger, but he was still one of the brightest striking prospects in Europe.  Hell, we signed Roberts from AFC Wimbledon for practically nothing and sold him for what could amount to £12million.  We do it to smaller clubs than us, and bigger clubs will do it to us.

We got Roberts for exactly nothing from AFC
Wimbledon
At the time Wimbledon didn't have an academy and their teams were just like any grass roots teams playing in the Surrey a Youth League

So poor old Wimbledon never got a penny for Roberts

Neil D

Smart move for him but that doesn't make it any easier to accept from our point of view. 

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: Southfield White on November 01, 2016, 11:59:47 AM

And some of them are incredibly bitter about it...!

Southfield White

Quote from: CottagersOnTour on November 02, 2016, 09:39:03 AM
Quote from: Southfield White on November 01, 2016, 11:59:47 AM

And some of them are incredibly bitter about it...!

Their fans maybe but not people at their academy.
They know they were unlucky, another year and their academy would of been in place and they may of got something from Fulham.

But Fulham were under no entitlement to give AFC anything.

Beamer

No sour grapes at all but you can't help thinking the system is flawed. Can't blame the player for getting the best he can for himself but when a side has nurtured a young talent over a number of years and he runs his contract down surely there should be some sell on clause in his new contract that enables the academy side to at least get a percentage of any sale fee within the same time period he was at the academy club. It would also stop a player feeling that he has let his previous club down knowing that if he gets sold on (and so many do now) within the 3 years or so he was at the academy club they would get some share in the profit. OK I know that assumes they give a toss but I'm sure many actually do appreciate what has been done for them.

Southfield White

Quote from: Beamer on November 02, 2016, 03:08:34 PM
No sour grapes at all but you can't help thinking the system is flawed. Can't blame the player for getting the best he can for himself but when a side has nurtured a young talent over a number of years and he runs his contract down surely there should be some sell on clause in his new contract that enables the academy side to at least get a percentage of any sale fee within the same time period he was at the academy club. It would also stop a player feeling that he has let his previous club down knowing that if he gets sold on (and so many do now) within the 3 years or so he was at the academy club they would get some share in the profit. OK I know that assumes they give a toss but I'm sure many actually do appreciate what has been done for them.

The club got compensation

No as much money as they would of got if they had realised earlier what a good player he would become and offered him a longer contract before he even made the first team

Only later did they offer him a decent contract but the damage was done