News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1/3 of the season gone, what do we think?

Started by BedsFFC, November 01, 2016, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Moussa Dembele is the best of the lot of them.  We would be better with him up front.

But, Chris Martin is doing fine and we are playing to his strengths. 

A third of the way through and I'd count four home games as Grade A belters.  Newcastle, Middlesborough, Norwich and Huddersfield.  QPR was one of the most surreal games I have ever seen, so I'll add that to my positives list.

Couple of stinkers too, but only the Birmingham game cheesed me off.  Bristol were just great and after a while, I try to enjoy football being played well even though we aren't the team doing it. Even Burton's bus parking masterclass had some merit.

Best surprise: Scott Malone.  Biggest disappointment:  Having to pay to listen to Gentleman Jim for away matches.  Sorry Jim, I'm a refusenik for now at least.  Not particularly interested in the TV stuff, but GJ on the radio doesn't seem much to ask given how much I fork over for the home games.

That's not a bad return on my season ticket investment.  Plenty more to come.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

1/3 of the season gone - already

Therefore 2/3 of the season left

All to play for & with us coming off the back of a 5-0 drubbing of a decent team to boot

Something we have been promising to do for some time now

Yes we have been there before, lots of promise but falling over, disappointing & failing to find consistency (of the right kind)

Can we push on?

Of course we can so this time let's have another 3 points against Brentford on Friday

Climb that table

We have what we have, others have gone, confined to history & the what if's & but's

Time to forget that & ustilise what we have

Possibly strengthening in January, we will see

Well done all & COYW!

WayneKerrins

Quote from: MJG on November 01, 2016, 02:29:43 PM
Have to disagree with the comment terrifically overrated. He will be a top player and I for one have never ever doubted that from first seeing him. He will be playing at a top team within two years if not sooner. I still believe people don't rate him based on his decision to not renew rather than his football skills.

I'm with you 100% and think this may be a thread that's dug out of the archives a few times over the next decade.

Overall very good thread. Whilst McCormack's creativity and flashes of brilliance are what I've seen too little of at the cottage over the last 40 years I think the sale was good business. I think he is a player who is great in 1 maybe 2 systems.

He's definitely not a 1 in a 4231, plus hasn't the pace to play wide in that system or a 4141 which we essentially played with the ball on Saturday.

In these 2 systems which are so prevalent these days his only real slot is the central of the 3. And I'd take Cairney over him in that slot any day.

Old school 442 with striking pair he'd walk into any team in this division but how many play that?

hongkongfulham

Quote from: mlangstrom on November 01, 2016, 11:27:58 AM
I'm optimistic - the longer we are within 6 point to playoffs the bigger is our chances given all of the transfers last summer...

Lets put it this way, where would you try to strengthen in January? Probably have to be starters as depth isn't really an issue.
Kalas and Sigurdsson looks solid, Madl and Ream as backup, and 2 fullbacks on each side
Johansen and McD backed up by Parker, Viggo and Tunni
Aluko, Cairney, Piazon, Azite, Kebano, Jozabed behind a lone strike
Martin, Smith, Woodrow

Would love a great keeper but I don't think any are around in January.
Maybe an all-round striker from the premiership with experience in the championship, Rhodes anyone...
I'm actually reasonable ok with the current squad, focus should probably be to cover any injuries and to try to get contracts with Sess, Kalas and Piazon, and maybe Woodrow and Tunnicliffe for depth.

+1

HatterDon

still 2/3rds more to go.
049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif 049:gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HectorWeso

Need to see more of Cauley. Shocking that he's been banished after missing a hatfull of chances and a pen against those Bristol mugs in the muggy EFL cup. Their keeper was a disgrace that day with his penalty shenanigans. Most football league thing Ive ever seen.

HectorWeso

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 01, 2016, 02:00:01 PM
Dembele was terrifically over rated and we miss the clinical finishing and clever football brain of Ross. Are we a better balanced side without them? Sometimes we look as if we are. Sometimes we look a bit confused and lacking in ideas. But on the whole the season so far has flattered and at other times disappointed. However we are showing signs of being closer to a better polished team. Not there yet by some way. But the rest of the season must set us up to put the finishing touches to the squad and push on to better things next season.

Now for a little consistency.

Over rated? lulz. You'll be saying next that Johansen should be playing holding mid when its blatantly obvious he's better going forward. Daft old Lighthouse.

Aaron

I'm really not sure..

We're 7 points from 3rd and 7 points from 3rd bottom right now with relatively little to choose between the 20 other teams in that particular mix..

We had a brilliant run in August, a bloody awful run in September and now something resembling consistency in October.  If we can keep up the decent performances there's no reason to think we couldn't be there or thereabouts when it comes time for a trip to Wembley at the end of the season but when the results from the fixtures in November alone could leave us anywhere between 5th and 19th it's very hard to draw conclusions.

ffccaz

Aluko started off great pre-season and on Saturday showed again what he is capable of. I never much liked Dembele or McCormacks body language and feel all round we are better with Martin and Aluko. The football is definitely more entertaining to watch and dare I say it we are looking like a team again. Villa fans are moaning about Ross and saying he is overweight .... Im sure he'll start scoring soon and they will be praising him...sound familiar?

Fulham Tup North

Got to believe that if we can continue some good form in Nov & Dec, we will be in a strong position to buy the 1 or 2 we will need after Christmas.  Another Striker would be good.  Maybe Defoe, as Sunderland will be down by then anyway!!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

BedsFFC

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 02, 2016, 04:49:46 PM
If that is the case, then after further research, my guess is that it means we have twice as many games left as we have played. So that means the best is yet to come. Three juicy points on Friday we all hope will take us to 24 pts x by 3 = 72pts. Will that be enough for a top six place then ?

A quick glance at the last 5 seasons would suggest...probably not. About 77 should do it.

MJG

A third of the season may have already gone. But by my mathematical calculation, after a recount, and further gathering of information. It probably means there are about two thirds left. If that is the case, then after further research, my guess is that it means we have twice as many games left as we have played. So that means the best is yet to come. Three juicy points on Friday we all hope will take us to 24 pts x by 3 = 72pts. Will that be enough for a top six place then ?
73 is average over last 15 years but last five it has got higher. At the moment I'd say it's going to have to be 74-76 to get 6th

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on November 02, 2016, 05:30:54 PM
A third of the season may have already gone. But by my mathematical calculation, after a recount, and further gathering of information. It probably means there are about two thirds left. If that is the case, then after further research, my guess is that it means we have twice as many games left as we have played. So that means the best is yet to come. Three juicy points on Friday we all hope will take us to 24 pts x by 3 = 72pts. Will that be enough for a top six place then ?
73 is average over last 15 years but last five it has got higher. At the moment I'd say it's going to have to be 74-76 to get 6th

It isn't exactly a third - can't divide forty six by three - and if we count out a recurrence of the decidedly poor patch we had between the International breaks then we may be looking at the two, three or more extra wins we need to get around the eighty point mark by end of season.  I would see SJ looking for a striker in January to play alongside Martin and to provide him with different formation options especially playing at home.   I have seen so much improvement performance wise over last season and as most people say it is consistency that wins the Championship.   I think we can do it.

davew

LOL, as an accountant (retired) I am looking for an assistant to take over my practice and you are definitely on the short list (lol)!

72 points enough, no not quite!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

ScalleysDad

For me the massive overhaul is still ticking along but has a very long way to go. Thoughts of the play offs or god forbid promotion are not even entering my head as imho we are nowhere near that level. A long term foundation in the team and not loanees better than what we have as our own is still a way off but if all the blocks take a year or two to put in place it will be for the better. The main issue there would be if everybody involved has the stomach and indeed the energy for the slightly longer haul as opposed to the quick fix.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 02, 2016, 09:31:03 PM
Quote from: davew on November 02, 2016, 09:01:40 PM
LOL, as an accountant (retired) I am looking for an assistant to take over my practice and you are definitely on the short list (lol)!

72 points enough, no not quite!!

I agree, and to Sum it up, i feel that my qualifications all Add up to me being an adequate assistant. Your overal turnover will Multiply, and I would be happy to Divide the profits, and to reasure you I would only want a Fraction or a small Percentage of the Total profits. Minus the overheads.  I am sure I could give a good Account of myself. Plus the good will I would generate, which would be lucrative to all and Sundry.
You will be on the subs bench at the next Board Meeting I have to attend! (LOL)

davew

Woolly, remember the word I used was retired which equals no income (except pensions), so please re-evaluate your calculations which I think result in no savings or increase in income to me and nothing for you! Will recheck my sums 2moro!