News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1/3 of the season gone, what do we think?

Started by BedsFFC, November 01, 2016, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Chris Martin & Sone Aluko or Ross McCormack & Moussa Dembele?

There was a minority on here who took a battering when we suggested that being without our two top scorers, we would actually be a better team.

I took a look on a Villa forum and over the 56 pages on our old talisman, I read a lot of recent posts saying that the only way he will work is if the team is set up around him.

Exactly right in my opinion.

Martin & Aluko add so much more for the overall team in my opinion. I think Ross and Moussa are very good players but I wouldn't want them back.

RaySmith

When we weren't scoring it's only natural that  people question Ross and Moussa's selling, although they wanted to go.
But if we keep up the scoring we've  had lately , then  people will agree with you.

colinwhite

Aluko and Martin both provide alot ,more than goals . Aluko wins lots of balls in the opponents half and Martins lay off s and positional sense offer something neither Ross nor Moussa gave us . I am happy with aluko and martin.

colinwhite

Thing is Beds its really the wrong question when we look at the last few games . We dont play with 2 up , but with one up ( martin) and three flexible inter changers in -behind who all work hard . Add to that Johansens box to box play and we are a very potent attacking force, a view I have had long before the QPR game.

Horsfield_No9

I found that Ross always dropped too deep so often wasn't that helpful despite being able to pull a goal out of thin air. Martin feels like much more of a team player and will get better. Apart from his first few games I've been very happy with him. Younger than Ross so we'd get a few more years good service. Aluko has been a surprise, we got a good deal here.

Bottomline is, I, like most supporters only want players here who want to play for Fulham, are happy and not looking to move on to "bigger" clubs. We have that in Aluko in Martin and should be happy. We still need to buy another striker in Jan as our options are v limited. Imagine if Martin gets injured!
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

RaySmith

Agree colinwhite -Aluko seems a terrific player, so hard working and  defending from the front, as well as his incredible pace and skill - add taking  his goal scoring chances to the mix, which I feel he will do more as he gains confidence in front of goal - look at the goal he scored at Barnsley,  he is an outstanding buy.

Martin is  also at last proving his worth as  powerful  front man, now he's settling into the team, who can hold the ball up and play  the likes of Aluko in, as well as scoring himself.

We Are Premier League

I'm optimistic - the longer we are within 6 point to playoffs the bigger is our chances given all of the transfers last summer...

Lets put it this way, where would you try to strengthen in January? Probably have to be starters as depth isn't really an issue.
Kalas and Sigurdsson looks solid, Madl and Ream as backup, and 2 fullbacks on each side
Johansen and McD backed up by Parker, Viggo and Tunni
Aluko, Cairney, Piazon, Azite, Kebano, Jozabed behind a lone strike
Martin, Smith, Woodrow

Would love a great keeper but I don't think any are around in January.
Maybe an all-round striker from the premiership with experience in the championship, Rhodes anyone...
I'm actually reasonable ok with the current squad, focus should probably be to cover any injuries and to try to get contracts with Sess, Kalas and Piazon, and maybe Woodrow and Tunnicliffe for depth.

SuffolkWhite

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

cmg

Keeping Ross and Moussa would have been a good idea - although I think the shackles would slow them down a bit.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: cmg on November 01, 2016, 01:10:53 PM
Keeping Ross and Moussa would have been a good idea - although I think the shackles would slow them down a bit.

Nogood "Brilliant that is, it is" Boyo

bog

I wonder if Villa fans wish Ross had have stayed here....

092.gif

Lighthouse

Dembele was terrifically over rated and we miss the clinical finishing and clever football brain of Ross. Are we a better balanced side without them? Sometimes we look as if we are. Sometimes we look a bit confused and lacking in ideas. But on the whole the season so far has flattered and at other times disappointed. However we are showing signs of being closer to a better polished team. Not there yet by some way. But the rest of the season must set us up to put the finishing touches to the squad and push on to better things next season.

Now for a little consistency.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Have to disagree with the comment terrifically overrated. He will be a top player and I for one have never ever doubted that from first seeing him. He will be playing at a top team within two years if not sooner. I still believe people don't rate him based on his decision to not renew rather than his football skills.

Old timer

Agree about Dembele but we now seem to have players who want to play for Fulham and that is hugely important, no matter the skill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toshes mate

Quote from: BedsFFC on November 01, 2016, 10:04:20 AM
Chris Martin & Sone Aluko or Ross McCormack & Moussa Dembele?

There was a minority on here who took a battering when we suggested that being without our two top scorers, we would actually be a better team.

I took a look on a Villa forum and over the 56 pages on our old talisman, I read a lot of recent posts saying that the only way he will work is if the team is set up around him.

Exactly right in my opinion.

Martin & Aluko add so much more for the overall team in my opinion. I think Ross and Moussa are very good players but I wouldn't want them back.

Strikers must be able to score goals in the team and formation they are playing for or they are worthless.  Last season we were able to survive courtesy of McCormack's and Dembele's contributions, but I believe SJ and his coaching staff were unconvinced the team would threaten the top six playing the style of football a player like McCormack demands.  Dembele will score goals wherever he plays and could become a very wanted player if he continues to show his gifts and talents.  Chris Martin is just beginning to show form but I believe it is in midfield where the major changes in tactics and personnel have made a really big difference on last season.  It is good to see players operating on the same wavelength in games.

JHaynes Paperboy

Quote from: MJG on November 01, 2016, 02:29:43 PM
Have to disagree with the comment terrifically overrated. He will be a top player and I for one have never ever doubted that from first seeing him. He will be playing at a top team within two years if not sooner. I still believe people don't rate him based on his decision to not renew rather than his football skills.

At the moment he is scoring goals for fun but it is the SPL for god sake!
If he ever plays in the Prem. it will be interesting to see how he gets on.
The new Thierry Henry he is NOT!
This is based on his footballing skills and not because he left FFC.

@jolslover

ahaha how is Dembele atall overrated, If anything he was underrated by our fans.

He is the complete striker, special player. Hes strong, Hes quick, He was good at dribbling and he could score goals. Usually a striker at this level is good at 1, maybe two of those things.
STH H3

General

I think Dembele has been a loss - he's done wonders up at Celtic and under Jokanovic I think he'd have done great too. Martin is doing well now, but early season when he wasn't I think Dembele would've been great. McCormack produced the goods, but he's getting on and Martin's doing well. Dembele has been something else since he moved north and I'd have loved to have seen him stay and do so for us. So many big clubs hovering for him and to think had we kept him that bit longer we could've made an absolute fortune off him.

colinwhite

Dembelle and Ross were both playing for themselves . Aluko and matin are playing for the team.

Burt

Last season showed that Dembele and McCormack were goal machines, and without those goals it's not that far a stretch to say we could well have ended up in the third tier. McCormack I suspect is at the peak of his powers. Dembele, if he keeps his head, will only get better and I've no doubt he'll be in the premier league in 2-3 seasons time.

We had a bit of a rebuild during the close season, and my concern was that we hadn't adequately replaced them and to a certain extent I still think that... We will be a much more serious proposition if we have a 20+ goals a season person in the team.

However, we're starting to click, I feel more optimistic now than I have done for ages, and am confident that we're going to be troubling the top 6 more than the bottom 6...  :dft011: