watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Let's imagine we get promoted..just for a bit of fun

Started by BedsFFC, November 02, 2016, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

What players from the current squad do we keep?

Its quite a scary thought as I am beginning to really like our squad but I'm not sure that more than 2 or maybe 3 would be first teamers. Button, Kalas and maybe Aluko...maybe Cairney

There may be an argument for keeping the bulk of the team and if you came back down, you'd be richer and stronger for the next push

davew

I think I will put a John Lennon record on instead....Imagine!!

BedsFFC don't get ahead of yourself, best to ask the question when we are 1/2 way through the season, too early now!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

BedsFFC

Quote from: davew on November 02, 2016, 08:54:09 PM
I think I will put a John Lennon record on instead....Imagine!!

BedsFFC don't get ahead of yourself, best to ask the question when we are 1/2 way through the season, too early now!!

Dave, you've gotta think big mate..

davew

I do and always have done since I was old enough to appreciate what supporting a football club (our FFC) was about!! Yes let's hope we can get back to the PL, we do have a squad capable of doing so but many slip ups this season, bad team selections and we are missing a few players in key positions! Anyway time for me to sign off, just checked the sell by date on the bottle of Gordons (Lol), laters as they say!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

..FOF..

First of all I would keep the coach that lead us to promotion.

Then I would look to replace only the current benchwarmers, reserves and returning loanees.

"Money" players rarely perform well at the start of the Premiership season, we still need our well gelled first 11 regulars to hold the fort for awhile.

MJG

I always say that no matter who you are in the championship, if yopu get promoted you will need at least 6 new players to walk stright into the starting XI and then another 6 to help improve the squad.
People go on about building in the championship a team that's good enough to last in the PL. That just cant be done. Change is required in the summer you get promoted. Even back in Tigana's promotion summer we spent big to improve the squad.,
IF we did go up and were able to sign Kalas then he would be the first of 5 signings we need for the defence and GK roles.
Midfield..Cairney maybe, Johansen maybe. But beyond that we need others. and at least one starting striker and could be argued another one at least IF we have signed Martin.

VicHalomsLovechild

I always feel for players who bust a gut for their team. Win promotion but don't get to play the next season.

MJG

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on November 03, 2016, 08:00:22 AM
I always feel for players who bust a gut for their team. Win promotion but don't get to play the next season.
I always look back at the rise from 4th Div under Adams and then Keegan then Tigana.
Players who you really liked and thought they are good suddenly look a bit out of their depth as you go up the leagues and they clearly get replaced by better players. We all liked  players like Rob Scott, Carpenter, Cusack, Cullip, Blake etc. But then they are replaced by the Colemans, Bracewell's, Hayward, Peschisolido. and so it goes on.
I always liked Chippy but when we went up a division you could see his limitations more and more. Same happens between Championship and PL

bencher

But then there are players like Sean Davis who prove they can cut it at a higher level when given a chance. In this highly theoretical and implausible discussion, I would definitely want to see how Cairney got on playing in the PL. SJ mentioned earlier this season that he had the potential to play at that level, and I would agree, as long as he learns to play the ball forward a bit quicker on occasion.

Holders

Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2016, 08:12:08 AM
I always look back at the rise from 4th Div under Adams and then Keegan then Tigana.
Players who you really liked and thought they are good suddenly look a bit out of their depth as you go up the leagues and they clearly get replaced by better players. We all liked  players like Rob Scott, Carpenter, Cusack, Cullip, Blake etc. But then they are replaced by the Colemans, Bracewell's, Hayward, Peschisolido. and so it goes on.
I always liked Chippy but when we went up a division you could see his limitations more and more. Same happens between Championship and PL

It was Morgan I really felt sorry for, I'd have loved to have seen him in the PL, even as a late sub. I'm pretty sure he never played.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffc2004

Quote from: Holders on November 03, 2016, 09:47:48 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2016, 08:12:08 AM

It was Morgan I really felt sorry for, I'd have loved to have seen him in the PL, even as a late sub. I'm pretty sure he never played.

Last game was that one he played about 15 mins and got MOTM in the promotion season wasn't it?

BedsFFC

You do eventually get used to it but having only really watched premiership football for many years, when we got relegated it really was a shock seeing the difference first hand. The things that really stood out were how vulnerable and unsure the defenders seemed, quickness of passing and the first touch.

But you get used to it and now I enjoy it more than the premiership and find it exciting. Mind you, I haven't for two years.

Dodger53

Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2016, 07:51:44 AM
I always say that no matter who you are in the championship, if yopu get promoted you will need at least 6 new players to walk stright into the starting XI and then another 6 to help improve the squad.
People go on about building in the championship a team that's good enough to last in the PL. That just cant be done. Change is required in the summer you get promoted. Even back in Tigana's promotion summer we spent big to improve the squad.,
IF we did go up and were able to sign Kalas then he would be the first of 5 signings we need for the defence and GK roles.
Midfield..Cairney maybe, Johansen maybe. But beyond that we need others. and at least one starting striker and could be argued another one at least IF we have signed Martin.
And this is why IMO some players lose all interest in going up during the play offs - They know they will be moved on if they go up. Every play-off season throws up some really unexpected results - those that want it and those that don't and I mean the players not the supporters or management, I think Brighton players did it last year. What do you think our players would do put in such a position, great club, good pay and managment, do they want to move on or go for another nearly year? assuming it isnt another nearly year at the other end of the table!

toshes mate

Football is all about one game at a time, the old cliches about 'you're only as good as your last game' or even 'your last pass'.  I believe the best managers are those who have the ability to take everything step by step, to almost slow time down so that preparation of players couldn't be better for the kick-off time.  In that way promotion and relegation just slot into the thought processes of how a team could be made to play better, be better.  Although the PL is much more difficult a step to take than the old Division 2 to Division 1 jump, the maxims are still the same - it is the team that matters and not the individuals.  There is always the possibility of a George Best, a Bobby Charlton, or a Johnny Haynes cropping up, but for the most part football players are in a much tighter distribution group - hence the stats man argument - and some players will astound you as their abilities seem to rise no matter the challenge.  Roy Hodgson seemed to have that sixth footballing sense and I am hoping SJ has it too.  Nothing he has done so far leads me to thinking he hasn't.  I have been impressed with him from day one when basically a motley crew of Symon upstarts had to be shaped into a team that could simply win enough games to survive, with a few loan players to back up the shambles.  SJ didn't so much create a team as create the platform of hope and salvation on a game by game basis.   He has carried on doing that and I hope that remains his philosophy for as long as he is in football.   The teams that do well in football apart from those who have the money to buy expensively are those who persist with a philosophy that works on a game by game basis.  Managers / coaches who do it well are few and far between and so Fulham need to let SJ do his job.  He may surprise a lot of people at Craven Cottage if he is allowed to do it as well as he can.

RaySmith

Quote from: Dodger53 on November 03, 2016, 10:41:03 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2016, 07:51:44 AM
And this is why IMO some players lose all interest in going up during the play offs - They know they will be moved on if they go up. Every play-off season throws up some really unexpected results - those that want it and those that don't and I mean the players not the supporters or management, I think Brighton players did it last year. What do you think our players would do put in such a position, great club, good pay and managment, do they want to move on or go for another nearly year? assuming it isnt another nearly year at the other end of the table!
I think that players hope that they will get to play in the Prem if they help get a team promoted.

Well, if their team is promoted, they at least have that on their cv's.
I don't think that players would ever not give their best efforts if they thought they would have to leave a club if promoted.

Surely any player worth his salt always wants to do well, and the club he's playing for to be as successful as possible.