watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Breaking news Wales bottle it

Started by epsomraver, November 10, 2016, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Wales will wear just plain black arm bands for their match this weekend in case they get hit with a penalty, Come on Chris Coleman, tell where to shove their banhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37941608

Neil D

The phrase 'poppy fascism' springs to mind.

bill taylors apprentice

The sort of fine that's likely would be loose change to the FA while crippling to the likes of the Welsh FA.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Neil D on November 10, 2016, 06:26:48 PM

I think you just found a name for my nephews group.
!Poppy Fascism!
They a blues band.

Mince n Tatties

Oh Wales you've done it now,I want be growing or
buying leeks anymore...Shame on you. :022:

bog

Where has the fire in their bellies gone? How weak.

092.gif

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Bowing to FIFA of all organisations especially given their track record

However, whilst not defending the Welsh FA, I heard on the radio to-night that as regards England v Scotland neither are likely or will complain if the poppy is worn

However, speculation that Serbia will complain?

I've no idea but that's doomed if you do & doomed if you don't?

Come on Chris C, get the decision overruled & "Up yours Delors" to FIFA

cmg

England u21 are wearing black armbands with poppies on in their friendly against Italy tonight.

...as did Ryan Sessegnon (who scored the second goal) and Tayo Edun for England u19.

westcliff white

I believ Northern Ireland doing the same, thise fa's cant afford a sizeable fine I guess
Every day is a Fulham day

alfie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 10, 2016, 07:53:13 PM

!Poppy Fascism!
They a blues band.
If they are blues band then I will like them, that's my music passion.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: alfie on November 11, 2016, 08:14:59 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 10, 2016, 07:53:13 PM

!Poppy Fascism!
They a blues band.
If they are blues band then I will like them, that's my music passion.

John Mayall influenced.

Fulham Tup North

Sometimes you have to have the strengths of your convictions. If it REALLY mattered to the Welsh FA they would just do it. Actions speak louder than words I afraid.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on November 11, 2016, 08:24:32 AM
Sometimes you have to have the strengths of your convictions. If it REALLY mattered to the Welsh FA they would just do it. Actions speak louder than words I'm afraid.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

FFCBerks

I'd be interested to hear what someone with a sound legal background has to say on this. Surely, if a symbol can be deemed by FIFA to have religious and/or political connotations, then swapping the symbol for another - in this case a black armband - for the exact same purpose (i.e. remeberance in this case) then the connotations are still fully reflected. Other than 'growa pair, FIFA' - which is my view here, does anyone have any insight to the legalities? Just curious.

H4usuallysitting

FIFA are happy to let big business spoil football....bit of compassion, no we can't make money out of it

VicHalomsLovechild

I might be alone on this one but I'd prefer to know that public figures (footballers included) brought their own poppy for all the right reasons. Understanding that many hundreds of thousands of people gave their lives so we could have a free life. Observed the silence and gave a thought for what people went through.
I don't need them to wear a poppy on their shirt. Which in all truth I'm not sure the reason it's on the shirt is purely as an act of remembrance.

Lighthouse

Is a badge featuring the emblem of a Country not a political statement?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Oakeshott

"I might be alone on this one but I'd prefer to know that public figures (footballers included) brought their own poppy for all the right reasons"

I agree with that, but it is also in my view quite proper that a team representing England (and any of the other three home countries) should be required by their authorities to mark what is a unique day in the calendar. It is of course not necessary to wear a poppy during the game to mark the day and what I understand is being planned for the Welsh match seems a suitable alternative. But wearing a poppy emblem is the most obvious way.

I think the issue is unfortunately being blown out of proportion. Proper observation of the occasion is appropriate, and can be achieved by a period of silence and what the Welsh are planning. We and the Scots can get away, essentially unsanctioned, with wearing the poppy if we choose - because we are playing each other.

None of the above detracts from the general view that FIFA remains an essentially corrupt and out of touch body, and that sense will only be partially eased if and when Blatter and others are in jail and we see more reasonable interpretations of the "no politics" injunction.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on November 11, 2016, 11:32:14 AM
I might be alone on this one but I'd prefer to know that public figures (footballers included) brought their own poppy for all the right reasons. Understanding that many hundreds of thousands of people gave their lives so we could have a free life. Observed the silence and gave a thought for what people went through.
I don't need them to wear a poppy on their shirt. Which in all truth I'm not sure the reason it's on the shirt is purely as an act of remembrance.

I tend to agree with what you say, except it seems to me an excellent way to show respect and help keep the act of remembrance at the forefront of peoples (maybe not needed for you or me) minds.

OxfordWhite

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 11, 2016, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on November 11, 2016, 11:32:14 AM

I tend to agree with what you say, except it seems to me an excellent way to show respect and keep the act of remembrance at the forefront of peoples (maybe not yours or mine) minds.

Surely the money spent arguing over all of this would be better donated to the Royal British Legion (or even a charity that serves to preserve peace around the word).

Also think it 100% needs to be a player's choice - there are some legitimate reasons for not wanting to wear a poppy.