more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (22/11/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 22, 2016, 07:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jokanovic heartened by Fulham's fighting spirit

Slavisa Jokanovic saw progress in his side's late fightback after Scott Malone's stoppage time equaliser earned Fulham a point.

Wednesday took the lead after ten minutes, Fernando Forestieri coolly finishing after sharp play on the edge of the box.

And Barry Bannan could have doubled the lead but fired over before the break as the visitors ended the half strongly.

A turgid second half burst into life late on, the Owls negotiating several goalmouth scrambles before Malone rifled home in added time.

But the Fulham boss was disappointed they didn't go on to win after creating pressure in a frantic final ten minutes.

"We were unhappy at the end, because the last five minutes we can score a second goal and win the game," Jokanovic said.

"We didn't play very well today, we didn't offer our best performance, but from another side I am very satisfied with some parts of the game.

"We made some steps in the sense of competing, we didn't surrender at any moment.

"They played a better game today, they were closer to winning the three points, but generally I'm very satisfied.

"If we played this game last season we would have lost 3-0."

Forestieri clinically finished a wonderful move after Gary Hooper played in his strike partner to break the deadlock.

http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/sport/14917946.Jokanovic_heartened_by_Fulham_s_fighting_spirit/?

WhiteJC

Norwich and Fulham interested as £8m Huddersfield striker rejects new contract

Norwich City and Fulham are ready to pounce after Huddersfield Town's Nahki Wells rejected a new contract according to a report from the Telegraph.

The Terriers have been keen to get Wells signed to a new contract to make sure that his long term future remains at the John Smith's Stadium but talks have broken down. Since he moved to the club in 2014 from Bradford City for a club record fee of £1.5m, he has been one of their star players and was their highest scorer last season after he netted 18 times. However while Huddersfield have certainly done brilliantly this season, they sit 4th in the Sky Bet Championship, Wells hasn't continued his goalscoring form and has only scored three times since August.

Despite that, Huddersfield wanted to keep one of their star assets and had offered him a new contract which would have made him the top earner at the John Smith's Stadium. But even with that proposed hike in wages, Wells has decided to turn down the new deal and that has raised the interest of their rival Championship clubs.

Norwich have had an interest in wells for a while now as they look to add a top quality striker so that they stay involved in the promotion race in the second half of the season. Fulham are also looking to sign a new forward to partner up with summer loan signing Chris Martin and they think that the Bermudan international would be the perfect partner for the Scot.

http://the72.co.uk/68603/norwich-and-fulham-interested-as-8m-huddersfield-striker-rejects-new-contract/?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with Wells move
by DAN on NOVEMBER 21, 2016

Fulham have been linked with a January move for Huddersfield Town striker Nakhi Wells after the Bermudan international rejected a new contract.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Wells, who scored in the 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage last season, turned down the opportunity to become the Yorkshire club's highest earner and that manager David Wagner is resigned to losing the 26 year-old for a fee of around £8m when the transfer window reopens in the new year. The newspaper suggests that Fulham will be joined by fellow promotion contenders Norwich City in the race to secure the pacey forward's signature.

Wells had been heavily linked with a move to Aston Villa during the summer but the recently relegated Midlands outfit opted to sign former Fulham forward Ross McCormack and Jonathan Kodija instead. The striker, who shot to prominence by scoring 53 goals in 112 appearances for Bradford City whom he helped to win promotion from League Two and reach the final of the League Cup, scored 18 goals in his first full season with Huddersfield as they surprised many by comfortably surviving in the Championship – and losing his services would represent a significant blow to Wagner's hopes of sustaining a promotion push.

Fulham, who have been heavily linked with a move for Wells in the past, will certainly be looking to supplement their striking resources in January, having signed Chris Martin on loan from Derby County at the end of the summer transfer window. The Whites have just Matt Smith and Cauley Woodrow as senior replacements for the Scotland international – and Wells' pedigree as a Championship goalscorer would make him an attractive acquisition.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/fulham-linked-with-wells-move/?

WhiteJC

Report: Norwich City and Fulham likely to pursue Huddersfield Town striker Nahki Wells in January; Aston Villa's interest wanes

A report claims that Aston Villa have cooled their interest in Wells, who is a potential Norwich City and Fulham target this winter.

Norwich City and Fulham are likely to pursue Huddersfield Town striker Nahki Wells in January, although Aston Villa's interest has waned, the Telegraph reports.

Wells, who has scored three goals this season, has reportedly rejected a new deal at the John Smith's Stadium and Huddersfield are said to be seeking £8 million for his services.

Aston Villa were listed as Wells suitors in the summer, although Jonathan Kodjia's arrival and subsequent fine form means they are unlikely to return for the Bermuda international, which could clear the way for one of Norwich or Fulham to pounce, with both sides seemingly keen to add to their attacking ranks this winter.

Norwich missed out on a new striker during the summer window's closing stages, while no Fulham player has broken the five-goal mark as yet.

Wells scored 18 times for the Terriers - who are currently above Villa, Norwich and Fulham in the Championship - last season.

However, the former Bradford City man, whose contract expires at the end of the 2017-18 campaign, has struggled despite David Wagner's side's collective exploits.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/11/21/report-norwich-city-and-fulham-likely-to-pursue-huddersfield-tow/?

WhiteJC

Ex Fulham and Crawley Town forward joins Margate

Charles Banya, right, is congratulated by Lewis Young after scoring for Crawley Town

Former Fulham and Crawley Town forward Charles Banya has signed for National League South side Margate.

The 23-year-old, who can play in midfield or as a striker, joins the Blues as a free agent after being released from Maidstone United at the end of last season after they won promotion to the National League.

Banya started his career at Fulham but never made a first team start, although did make the bench in the club's Premier League fixture against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium in 2012.

Banya has also featured for Woking, Crawley and Maidstone as well as spending a short time at Ryman League Premier Division side Billericay Town earlier this season.

The former Stones winger could make his Blues debut on Tuesday night as Margate face Eastbourne Borough in the National League South.

Read more at http://www.kentlive.news/ex-fulham-and-crawley-town-forward-joins-margate/story-29921971-detail/story.html?#G6Dio7JzLi4lr7ZU.99

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Head Coach Slaviša Jokanović was satisfied with grabbing a late leveller and a point against a resolute Sheffield Wednesday side on Saturday afternoon.

After trailing for close to the entirety of the encounter, a late strike from Scott Malone as the match entered the first minute of stoppage time saw the shares spoiled.

"We found many problems during the game," Jokanović reflected. "After Sheffield Wednesday scored their goal they made few chances.

"They are an experienced team and didn't give us many chances to play. There were lots of yellow cards and they wanted to finish the game with a point and in the last minute we had a chance to win the game.

"We expected to win the three points and in this moment one point can be small for us but we are going to go in to the end of the season with this point and see if it's worth something or not.

"If we played this game last season we would probably have lost 3-0 or something. We didn't play very good football today but we try and move forward step by step.

"Today was a very important day for us.

"It is where we weren't at our level and found problems we are only strong enough for one point. I have to be satisfied for the point but I can't be completely satisfied as we didn't win the game. I am satisfied with the progress we're making."

With the game meandering towards a 1-0 defeat Scott Malone slammed home at the back post following a period of dominance from the Whites.

After a run of games out of the side the left-back has cemented his place back in the side with some fine displays. He followed up his Man of the Match performance a fortnight ago against Brentford with another solid display.

The Head Coach was quick to praise the full-back and the determination and desire shown to battle back into the side.

"Scott Malone's goal was very important for us," he said. "I generally expect my players to keep pushing and fighting to get in to the starting eleven.

"For those who didn't participate in the game I expect them to push harder to fight to be in a better position for minutes.

"Scott Malone has Ryan Sessegnon behind him and he knows he needs to be at a high level to start.

"This is not a signal for other people to be relaxed and believe they don't have a chance to get in to the starting eleven. All my players need to be pushing hard for the best interests of the team and they have to be ready for this."

Despite the point and going unbeaten in three matches, Jokanović wants his side to continue to push themselves and remain focused on the near future.

"I am always positive but I am never satisfied," he stated. "We need to try and improve ourselves.

"There are many games in front of us. We know what the supporters expect of us but I don't want us thinking about what will happen in May.

"It's important that we only look at the next step and that we improve in our upcoming game against Brighton and put ourselves at the highest level and offer a better performance than we did here at Craven Cottage."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/19/head-coach-reaction?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney offers his services to Scotland manager Gordon Strachan to help revive faltering World Cup campaign
Tom Cairney has been in excellent form this season for Fulham
But the former Hull and Blackburn playmaker has not been called up
Cairney says he would love to play for Scotland under Gordon Strachan

One of the more curious aspects of Gordon Strachan's Scotland tenure has been his apparent obliviousness to the talents of Tom Cairney.

Fulham's consistently excellent playmaker has been in the form of his life this season but has received no communication from the SFA - a situation that has persisted since his eligibility for the Under-21 team expired.

A starter in Billy Stark's team that beat Holland in Nijmegen five years ago, Cairney earned eight caps at that level but has not managed to replicate the achievements of team mates like James Forrest and Leigh Griffiths in ascending to the senior ranks.

Tom Cairney has been in consistently excellent form so far this season for Fulham

Cairney made six appearances for Scotland's under 21s, but is yet to play for the senior side

He is in good company. Along with the likes of Ross McCormack, Matt Phillips, Charlie Adam and his former Blackburn and Under-21 team-mate Jordan Rhodes, Cairney is part of a talented group of English-based players whom the national coach has repeatedly deemed unworthy of selection.

On the surface, the news Strachan is to remain in situ would not appear to be good for the 25-year-old, yet there is a quite compelling case for his inclusion when a damaged World Cup qualifying campaign resumes against Slovenia in March.

As Fulham destroyed fellow promotion chasers Huddersfield 5-0 last month, although Chris Martin and Kevin McDonald played well (and have both received Scotland call-ups this term), it was Cairney who stood out with a purposeful, skilful performance in central midfield.

Craven Cottage regulars attest to his consistency, yet Strachan has never been sufficiently impressed and he has regularly been left behind while his team-mates go on international duty.

Cairney met with Sportsmail at Fulham's south-west London training base and comes across as a confident and, importantly, committed Scot, but he does admit to feeling let down over the past couple of years.

'I try not to think about it now,' he admits. 'Last season, when I was up for player-of-the-month awards, I thought it might happen. I was in good form and when it came round to squad announcements I hoped maybe an injury would help me get in.

'It was the same earlier this season - shortlisted for an award and thinking: "This time". It's probably not good for me. I just need to put it to the back of my head and whatever will be will be.

'I speak to Chris about Scotland and he loves going away. But it's Gordon Strachan's decision. Maybe the hardest thing is getting there. I feel like once I get there and train with the boys, I'd stay in.'

Born in Nottingham, Cairney qualifies through his father Ian, who hails from South Lanarkshire.

'My dad was young when his father moved south to work in the pit but he always stayed true to his roots,' explains Cairney.
'I had all the Scotland kits as a boy and on holiday we'd head up to Uddingston to stay with his family - big Celtic fans.'

Cairney may not be operating at the pinnacle of domestic football but he has played in the Premier League before, breaking into the Hull City team under Phil Brown in 2010.

He made 80 appearances then moved to Blackburn Rovers where he spent two seasons before transferring to Fulham for £3million last year.

Since pitching up in London he has thrived, scoring eight goals in his first season at Craven Cottage and adding another four this season. Recently he's been captaining Slavisa Jokanovic's team in favour of former England midfielder Scott Parker.

Cairney crowned his 200th senior appearance with a fine goal in Fulham's 2-0 win at Brentford earlier this month and credits his current excellent form to Jokanovic's decision to deploy him as the pivotal figure in a midfield three featuring McDonald and former Celtic man Stefan Johansen.

'I think this is the best form I've shown,' he said. 'I'm playing in my favoured position, which is in the middle of a three, rather than out wide on the right where I've been used in the past.

'I just try to make us play really. Johansen has lots of energy and Kev wins most of the balls. I just try to create and nick a goal if I can.

'I've got four this season but I want to beat last season's tally. When I'm in the right positions, I feel like I can finish and there are not too many of us like that. Goalscoring midfielders, we're a bit of a dying breed.'

If the return of Scott Brown from international retirement for the defeat to England at Wembley is to prove a one-off, then the fresh blood of Cairney would offer something different.

However Cairney's team mate at Fulham, Chris Martin, is in the Scotland manager's plans

The chances are Strachan would also find his personality agreeable. The midfielder recently mined some PR gold for his club by, at his own behest, staging a house visit to a young supporter who had supplemented a piece of fan mail with his pocket money.

That showcased his softer side but he long ago proved his mental toughness by bouncing back from rejection.

He said: 'I was released by Leeds United at 16 for being too small. It was crazy because two-and-a-half years later I made my Premier League debut with Hull.

'I'd been at Leeds from the age of seven and it felt like my whole world had ended. I knew I just needed the time. I was a late developer and once I matched everyone physically, it went back to football ability and I came through. The Hull first team did well and it all clicked into place.'

Although Cairney suspects he can do little more to influence Strachan's thought process, he will have a full say in whether Fulham are successful in their goal of making it out of the Championship this season.

'Everyone beats everyone in this league, it's horrendous,' he jokes. 'It's relentless but it's an exciting league and, if we can stick in around the top six, we'll have a chance.

'I want to play in the Premier League. That's everyone's dream, isn't it? I feel like I can play at that level and I think if I get there I will stay there.

'Personally, I'm very happy but I would love the chance to represent Scotland again at full level.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3957964/Fulham-midfielder-Tom-Cairney-offers-services-Scotland-manager-Gordon-Strachan.html#ixzz4QingyumH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Cairney keen to end Scotland struggles
by DAN on NOVEMBER 21, 2016

Scottish football writers have begun to find it surprising that Tom Cairney hasn't featured in the national team despite their recent struggles – and the Fulham midfielder has said he would love to earn a first senior call-up.

Cairney, who qualifies through his Scottish-born father, has been consistently ignored by beleaguered Scottish boss Gordon Strachan and says that he ignores the prospect of playing international football these days to mask the continual disappointment of being overlooked. The playmaker, who earned eight under-21 caps earlier in his career, told the Daily Mail:

I try not to think about it now. Last season, when I was up for player-of-the-month awards, I thought it might happen. I was in good form and when it came round to squad announcements I hoped maybe an injury would help me get in. It was the same earlier this season – shortlisted for an award and thinking: "This time". It's probably not good for me. I just need to put it to the back of my head and whatever will be will be.

I speak to [Fulham team-mate] Chris [Martin] about Scotland and he loves going away. But it's Gordon Strachan's decision. Maybe the hardest thing is getting there. I feel like once I get there and train with the boys, I'd stay in.'

My dad was young when his father moved south to work in the pit but he always stayed true to his roots. I had all the Scotland kits as a boy and on holiday we'd head up to Uddingston to stay with his family – big Celtic fans.

Cairney credits Slavisa Jokanovic's recent tactical switch – returning him to his preferred central midfield position – with his excellent form that has coincided with Fulham's march up the Championship table.

I think this is the best form I've shown,' he said. 'I'm playing in my favoured position, which is in the middle of a three, rather than out wide on the right where I've been used in the past. I just try to make us play really. [Stefan] Johansen has lots of energy and Kev[in McDonald] wins most of the balls. I just try to create and nick a goal if I can.

The former Hull and Blackburn midfielder has made scoring more goals a target as his manager had stressed that side of his game needed to improve if Fulham were to be more successful.

I've got four this season but I want to beat last season's tally. When I'm in the right positions, I feel like I can finish and there are not too many of us like that. Goalscoring midfielders, we're a bit of a dying breed.

Despite his silky skills, Cairney knows what it is like to battle through adversity. Leeds' decision to release him at sixteen on account of his small size seems baffling know but the midfielder used the disappointment as motivation to prove a professional career – and he has also had to overcome serious injuries to make it in the game.

I was released by Leeds United at 16 for being too small. It was crazy because two-and-a-half years later I made my Premier League debut with Hull. 'I'd been at Leeds from the age of seven and it felt like my whole world had ended. I knew I just needed the time. I was a late developer and once I matched everyone physically, it went back to football ability and I came through. The Hull first team did well and it all clicked into place.

He retains hopes of returning to the Premier League but has got used to the hustle and bustle of the Championship and knows the competitive nature of the league will make helping Fulham win promotion one of the toughest challenges of his career.

Everyone beats everyone in this league, it's horrendous. It's relentless but it's an exciting league and, if we can stick in around the top six, we'll have a chance. I want to play in the Premier League. That's everyone's dream, isn't it? I feel like I can play at that level and I think if I get there I will stay there. Personally, I'm very happy but I would love the chance to represent Scotland again at full level.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/cairney-keen-to-end-scotland-struggles/?

WhiteJC

We Have to Beat the Top Teams!

After decent wins against Huddersfield Town (h) and Brentford (a), home draw against Sheffield Wednesday wasn`t what we were hoping for.

But scoring in the last minute, to snatch a point, is always a wonderful feeling.

This weekend Fulham make the short trip to the south-coast to take on Brighton and Hove Albion.

Brighton are flying-high in the Championship and will provide Fulham with a stern test.

The scorer of our late equalizer, against Sheffield Wednesday, Scott Malone, has spoken to the media, with the quotes being reproduced in The Sun, reading,

"You need to beat the top teams if you want to get in the top six - so that`s our aim starting Saturday.

"It`s a tough challenge but it will be interesting.

"We can compete in the top six. We`re a good team and we can wear teams down."

Seven points out of the last nine available is promotion form, but we need to press on and get a result at the Amex Stadium to reinforce our promotion hopes.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=469022#ixzz4QioKudeh

WhiteJC

That Penalty Incident!

One incident that took place in the fixture against Sheffield Wednesday in my match report was left out for a reason.

I felt that it`d provide a suitable topic for a separate article.

The moment I`m relating to is when Stefan Johansen was clearly pulled back in the box by Jack Hunt in the first half.

Pre-season we were told that the referees were going to have a clampdown on such infringements and after the fixture Slavisa Jokanovic, as you`d imagine, had something to say about the incident, with the boss remarking,

"The rules say that is clearly a penalty. They explained the rules.

"If they talk about this situation and then they do not point to the penalty spot I didn`t hear very well!

"I don`t want to be funny but it is a big mistake in a very dangerous moment for us. Everyone in the stadium saw it."

Yes we did and Jokanovic has every reason to moan about it, not that it`ll change the result will it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=469024#ixzz4QioeaZD7