Scott Parker
14 (6.1%)
Ross McCormack
1 (0.4%)
Ray Lewington
3 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 230

dannyboi-ffc

3 votes each because there's so many. Did my best with a little help to include all captains/vice captains who wore the armband quite a lot from the 50s onwards.

Non members can also vote.

This poll was an idea from sunburywhite. Hopefully it gets a good debate going.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

snarks

Murphy is one of my 3 purely because he was captain for the europa league run. If it weren't for that then my third choice would have gone elsewhere. How much of the run was down to him rather than Roy I'm not sure, but the fact he was captain means you can't ignore it.

General

I only voted based on my age and time supporting Fulham, which in many ways seems unfair as it rules out a lot of players I haven't seen who could be better. Perhaps it'd be best to have a favourite captain per 10 years and then vote out of those. Just feel it may give a more accurate reflection over a potential bias to be more recent captains because that's the generation who are probably more internet savvy and will engage more. Plus they're more recent memories to draw upon.

Burt

Went with Murph, Roger Brown and Chris Coleman.

Long hard think about Hangeland, but in the end had to split out his contributions during his time here (impressive) from whether he was an effective leader (less impressive).

Fulham Tup North

I had to go for Mr Haynes (of Course), Danny Murphy and McBride.  I would have had Simon Morgan, but he still owes me £75 (+interest) so he misses out!!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Burt on November 23, 2016, 05:11:32 PM
Went with Murph, Roger Brown and Chris Coleman.

Long hard think about Hangeland, but in the end had to split out his contributions during his time here (impressive) from whether he was an effective leader (less impressive).

Went the same, Murphy was a class act and love how my childhood hero Roger Brown has got a few votes too

ron

Interesting question insofar as Johnny was a great captain in his era because he led by example, so I included him. More modern attitudes frown on public rollickings of team members, so Danny Murphy is included for his cool authority...and faultless penalty taking!......Jim Taylor went in because my grandad thought he was one of the finest players he had ever seen... And being a third generation supporter, why would I argue with the old, old man?......especially seeing in this season of remembrance, he went over the top at 0730 on July 1st 1916 on his way to Berlin from the Somme.

Tonywa

Wonderful player though he was , I don't think the Maestro was a particularly effective captain. In fact, unlike cricket where the role is of vital importance, I don't think that many football captains do much more than toss the coin before the game and clap their hands a bit.  I have gone for three who undoubtedly, in their different ways were true captains, inspired the team and really made a difference.  Roger Brown, Simon Morgan and Brede Hangeland.  Danny Murphy was up there as well, but when it comes to Berbatov and McCormack - well not as captains thank you.  Jim Taylor was well before my time and I suspect would be of almost everyone else on the board.   

dannyboi-ffc

I thought Lee Clark was a brilliant captain and I'm surprised with 3 votes he didn't get more votes.

It probably isn't fair on the older fans but anyone who voted Haynes must have been around for everyone bar Jim Taylor and he's got a good return on this poll. So the opportunity to vote for others was there.

I voted for Cookie, Clark and Murphy. Was very tempted to pick Morgan but it was a tough call with Murphy for my third. Love ya Morgs!!!!

Coleman imo was our best captain.

And my 2 favourite players ever are Boa and Brede. 2 special players for Fulham but they were both awful captains and seemed to get worse when given the armband. 
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

chiefo

mouse

Have put Johnny Haynes in but,although the maestro,not sure he was a great captain.

sunburywhite

In fairness I think Parker has done a very good job as club captain

I seem to remember him paying off from his own pocket a £20,000 fine that Mad Magath fined some of the youngsters
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

twang

Easy for me: Coleman, McBride and Murphy.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Bill2

Chris Coleman was a magnificent leader in his last season before he broke his leg.

Kent Cassandra

I went for the Maestro who was very authoritive  on the field as some have criticised but having read what players say about him he was very different in the dressing room. The is why this is a difficult question because only insiders know what a captain is like off the field and I would imagine  behaviour off the field is just as important. Bobby Moore is not on the list, can't believe he was never our captain he certainly played like one and would have got my vote. Captains IMO should come from central midfield or centre back, from experience I played at centre back and you are facing play and can talk to players in front of you. So my second choice is Jim Taylor who was intelligent, in charge and very cool under pressure.
Danny Murphy must be in everyone's list, he was worth his place if he had just stood there doing nothing in the centre of the park.  Alan Mullery, Simon Morgan, Chris coleman and Scott Parker are very much in my thoughts and the mind boggles that the club would make Berbatov captain and ignore Bobby Moore.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

General

So - now (I assume), the poll is closed and in order our best captains are..

1) Danny Murphy   108
2) Johnny Haynes   59
3) Chris Coleman    54
4) Simon Morgan    53
5) Allan Mullery       40
6) Roger Brown      23
7) Brian Mcbride      16
8) George Cohen     12
9) Brede Hangeland 11
10) Scott Parker         9
11) Lee Clarke            7
12) Luis Boa Morte      6

then all the rest have 1/2/0 votes...

Peabody

Jim Taylor was a very good player and skip. But I think that back then the role was more of a token and less important than it is now.

bill taylors apprentice

Haynes, Morgan and Coleman.

Haynes, due to his historic place in our history, although I only saw him post 62, he's a must.

Morgan, because there's only one Simon Morgan.

Coleman, was a leader of men.

filham

Difficult choice so many good captains but first of all take out Berbatov , he was not going to win in a moth of Sundays.

The winner of course should have been Haynes by a country mile, I guess though that a lot of those voting never saw him in action. It then becomes a close call but no one could quarrel with Simon Morgan and Brian McBride.