more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26/11/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 26, 2016, 07:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Improved Cottagers will provide tough Amex test

Having held Aston Villa to a 1-1 draw at home a week ago, Brighton are set for another testing game at the Amex this weekend as they play host to Fulham on Saturday.

Chris Hughton's side had to come from behind to earn a point in the Friday night clash, with Nathan Baker putting the Villans ahead after 20 minutes.

Glenn Murray equalised for Albion near the end of the first half with his tenth goal of the season, and the Seagulls had to withstand surmounting pressure from the visitors in the final 45 minutes.

Jonathan Kodjia went closest to winning it for Villa, hitting the crossbar with a header on 76 minutes.

While they remain unbeaten in 11 games, third-placed Reading have closed the gap between them and Albion in second to four points.

Hughton will want his side to avoid letting that gap get any narrower this weekend, as they square off with a Cottagers side who look to have come on leaps and bounds since being thrashed 5-0 at the Amex in April.

Having finished 20th in the league last season, an overhaul of the squad in the summer from manager Slavisa Jokanovic has seen the West London club competing at the other end of the table so far in the current campaign, sitting two points off the top six in eighth place.

One of the players who moved to Craven Cottage in the summer that Albion fans will be all too aware of is Chris Martin.

The 28-year old has four goals to his name so far this season and scored seven goals in seven appearances against Albion for his former club, Derby.

Read more at: http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/sport/football/improved-cottagers-will-provide-tough-amex-test-1-7695822?

WhiteJC

Cauley Woodrow reflects on his five years at Fulham
Forward moved to Craven Cottage in March 2011 from Luton Town, where he had made an appearance in the FA Cup

Job done: Cauley Woodrow of Fulham celebrates his second goal

Cauley Woodrow has been at Fulham for over five years now but it is easy to forget that the forward is still only 21.

He moved to Craven Cottage in March 2011 from Luton Town, where he had made an appearance in the FA Cup.

He made his debut in the Premier League just three years later, in the 3-1 defeat to Cardiff, before scoring his first goal for the club against Crystal Palace in their final top flight game to date.

Although he has been a bit part player for the Whites in recent years, he believes he has learnt a lot in his time at the club so far.

He said: "I think it's been good. I'm still only 21 but I think it's good. I made my debut quite young and it feels as if I've been around for a long time but I haven't.

"A lot of the lads at my age won't have played as often as I have at the level the club is at. I think it's been positive. I need to get back playing, whether it's here or elsewhere."

Best foot forward: Cauley Woodrow scores; Lee Camp looks on helpless

This season has been a frustrating one for Woodrow with the EFL Cup providing his only real first team opportunities and, were the rules still in place, he would have considered a loan move.

He added: "It's different. If I was in this position last year I'd have tried to speak to the manager and go out on loan but I can't do that until January.

"It's difficult just training and playing the U21s game here and there but I'm not going to write myself off. I'm going to try and get back in the team here."

Part of that involves learning off Chris Martin and Sone Aluko and both of them have impressed Woodrow with their performances.

"Chris and Sone have been around a long time. Sone has played in the Premier League. Chris has scored a lot of goals in this league. I'm young so I'm trying to learn from both of them," he explained.

"Sone has been on fire recently with three assists against Huddersfield and scored againt Brentford.

"He's playing really well and I'm pleased for him. He's a good guy and it's good for the club that one of our players have won that award."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cauley-woodrow-reflects-five-years-12226781?

WhiteJC

Youth Cup Date Confirmed

Fulham's FA Youth Cup campaign kicks off on Friday 16th December (4pm), when Mansfield Town visit Motspur Park in the Third Round.

Goals from Stephen Humphrys (2), Dennis Adeniran and Luca de la Torre earned the Under-18s a 4-2 win over Bury in Round Three last year, but a late flurry of goals saw them beaten by Aston Villa in the following stage.

Tickets will be available to buy on the door, priced at £3 for adults and £1 for concessions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/25/youth-cup-date-confirmed?

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic has this message for Fulham fans
While the Serbian isn't going to ask for time and patience, he did urge Fulham supporters to understand that it is a process and the club are working hard to go for promotion

Contemplation: Slavisa Jokanovic at Brentford

Slavisa Jokanovic has issues a confident message to the fans and is of the belief that Fulham are going to have a successful season.

That being said, he is not satisfied with the performances so far and is constantly striving for improvement with his full focus on Saturday's game with Brighton.

And, while the Serbian isn't going to ask for time and patience, he did urge Fulham supporters to understand that it is a process and the club are working hard to go for promotion.

Jokanovic asked GetWestLondon to convey the following: "There are many messages I want to put across to the fans.

"First of all, we are very happy with the support from the stands in home and away games. We know we are still owe them more things.

"We offer them something this season. It's not enough and we're not satisfied and we're not happy. We need to push hard and try and improve our level. We know we can not be satisfied.

Suits you, sir: Slavisa Jokanovic strolls out against Huddersfield

"We know it's not enough but at the same time in modern football you can't ask for the time. I don't want to justify myself or my players.

"We want to understand we are in some kind of process and we expect we'll be in our highest level soon.

"I don't want to promise many things. I want to promise that with the game in front of us we'll be giving 100 per cent desire, concentration on it.

"We are thinking step by step. I understand people observe us and are waiting for better performances.

"We are working this way and we can encourage our supporters in the game in front of us. I expect we are going to be successful."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-message-fulham-fans-12227008?

WhiteJC

Brighton & Hove Albion v Fulham

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Commentary on BBC Sussex, live updates on BBC Radio London, BBC Radio 5 live and Final Score, live text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Brighton manager Chris Hughton has no new injury worries as he looks to extend his side's unbeaten run to 12 league games.

Winger Kazenga LuaLua (knee) is close to a first-team comeback but defender Liam Rosenior and midfielder Beram Kayal (both ankle) are sidelined.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic could name the same starting XI for the fourth consecutive game.

The Whites are unbeaten in three games and are two points off the play-offs.

Analysis

BBC Sussex's Johnny Cantor: "It's an exciting game in prospect with two in-form sides, both of whom have recorded 5-0 wins in recent weeks, on show.

"Albion strikers Sam Baldock and Glenn Murray have built up a good understanding but Seagulls manager Chris Hughton is wary of the threat from Fulham pair Chris Martin and Sone Aluko.

"A 12th clean sheet of the league season may prove tricky but confidence is high, especially at home where Albion have lost only once in the league since January."

Match facts

Brighton have won their last three league games against Fulham, registering a 5-0 hammering at the Amex in this fixture last season.
In Fulham's last nine trips to Brighton in all competitions they have either scored twice or not at all, scoring twice four times and not at all on five occasions.
David Stockdale has kept more clean sheets than any other Championship goalkeeper this season (9).
No team has scored more 90th-minute goals this season in the Championship than Fulham (4). Their last two goals have come in the final minute or injury time.
Only Scunthorpe (2.1 points per game) have a better league record across the top four tiers (excl. play-offs) this calendar year than the Seagulls (2.05).
Fulham have lost just once in eight matches on their travels this season, to Aston Villa in October (W4 D3).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38035226

WhiteJC

Fulham Football Club Officially Open New Facilities

Fulham Football Club today welcomed visitors to its Motspur Park Training Ground, to showcase its new and much enhanced elite training centre, funded entirely by Chairman Shahid Khan. The improvements, in line with the Club's commitment to maintaining its crucial EPPP Category One status, are the result of an extensive build period and the collaboration of national and local governing bodies to achieve a state of the art complex, with amenities not only utilised by the First Team footballers and Academy, but also by the wider local community.

The Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) is the result of consultation between the Premier League and its clubs, representatives of the Football League, the Football Association and other key football stakeholders and is a long-term strategy with the aim of developing more and improved home-grown players.

An official plaque commemorating the occasion was revealed in the all-weather dome – a protected range of training pitches optimising year round use – by Richard Scudamore, Executive Chairman of the Premier League and Ged Roddy, its Director of Football Development.

Fulham Football Club Foundation is a leading community charity building better lives through sport by providing meaningful education, employability, health, inclusion, environmental and sport programmes; with a commitment to empowering the most vulnerable members of the communities in which it works, including: Lambeth, Merton, Kingston, Hammersmith & Fulham and Surrey.

Utilising the training ground facilities, the Foundation will deliver the practical element of its Football and Education programme, including, but not limited to:

Walking Football
FFCF Ladies team
Premier League Kicks (weekly inclusion activity targeting local young people).
Down Syndrome Team (DS Badgers)
Deaf Team
Girls Development Centre (targeting U12s and U14s)
Football Performance Centre (including Goal Keeper School)
Alistair Mackintosh, Chief Executive at Fulham Football Club, said: "It has taken a lot of hard work from many people to deliver on the master plan for the Motspur Park facility and they all deserve our thanks. However, the principal driver behind all of these improvements is our Chairman, Shahid Khan, whose commitment to the Football Club reaches far beyond First Team football, but into the very heart of what makes Fulham so special; its commitment to the past, the present and the future. By generously funding the extensive project of works, the Fulham team has a first class facility to train, our envied Academy can prosper, and the community will benefit from the excellent programmes our Foundation delivers. It is an accomplishment everyone involved with the Club should be proud of."

Huw Jennings, Academy Director, said: "Maintaining our Category One status has an immeasurable impact on the Fulham Academy and one that is vital to our future success. We boast many impressive accomplishments with player development at the Club over the seasons which would not have been possible without both financial support, but also the belief in our methods and values as an Academy, and these facilities and our Cat 1 status are integral to ensuring we continue to progress."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/25/new-facilities-officially-open?

WhiteJC

Fulham have no fear, says Sigurdsson
by DAN on NOVEMBER 25, 2016

Ragnar Sigurdsson insists tomorrow's trip to second-placed Brighton and Hove Albion holds no fears for Fulham after the Whites have built an impressive away record this term.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are the second best performers on their travels in the Championship and Sigurdsson, who has settled impressively into an encouraging partnership with Tomas Kalas in the centre of Fulham's defence, feels that they will be able to give Chris Hughton's side a real game. Speaking to FulhamTV in advance of the trip to the south coast, the Icelandic international side:

When we played Huddersfield, they were second I think, and we beat them 5-0, and we have lost some games this season where we were dominating the games, so anything can happen really. I don't really care if they are second or fifteenth, we just have to bring our game and be ready, which we weren't against Sheffield Wednesday. It depends on what we are doing.

It is kind of strange that we are performing better away but sometimes it is like that. I don't know what the reason is. I don't have the answer really – we try to win every game we play, so we are trying obviously to play better at home as well, but we are not afraid to play away games, we have shown that, so I think this [Saturday's game against Brighton and Hove Albion] will just be a good match.

Things like this take time. Obviously it's frustrating when you are not winning games but we know that we are building something good and positive. Sometimes, especially for away games, when you know the fans are travelling long distances to see us play and support us, obviously we want to give something back to them and sometimes, maybe if you're not feeling motivated or you are not feeling at the top of your game, you always have the fans to help motivate you, playing for them, because they are there supporting you, so it always counts.

Sigurdsson feels that Fulham will need to improve on what he felt was a poor showing at Craven Cottage against Sheffield Wednesday last weekend – even though a late equaliser from Scott Malone earned the Whites a precious point.

We didn't play a very good game in general [against Sheffield Wednesday], but at least we showed some character in the end and we were close to winning the game as well – so I think that's important for us as a team to show that character. I think they played with poor character, lying down and stalling the game – for almost 60 minutes or something. I was very relieved that we didn't lose against a team that plays like this.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/fulham-have-no-fear-says-sigurdsson/?

WhiteJC

Fulham's new training facilities unveiled

Fulham's new and improved training facilities at Motspur Park were officially unveiled today at a ceremony attended by leading Premier League figures.

The latest improvements, which are integral to retaining Fulham's coveted Category One academy status, were commemorated by a plaque in the newly-constructed all-weather dome which was revealed by Premier League chief executive Richard Scuadamore and director of football development Ged Roddy. The opening of the new facilities, which will used by the first team, youth teams and the club's foundation, is the culmination of an intensive period of design and lobbying work that saw planning permission granted and a quick build to ensure the new training pitches were ready for use as swiftly as possible.

Fulham's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said:

It has taken a lot of hard work from many people to deliver on the master plan for the Motspur Park facility and they all deserve our thanks. However, the principal driver behind all of these improvements is our Chairman, Shahid Khan, whose commitment to the Football Club reaches far beyond First Team football, but into the very heart of what makes Fulham so special; its commitment to the past, the present and the future. By generously funding the extensive project of works, the Fulham team has a first class facility to train, our envied Academy can prosper, and the community will benefit from the excellent programmes our Foundation delivers. It is an accomplishment everyone involved with the Club should be proud of.

Academy director Huw Jennings added:

Maintaining our Category One status has an immeasurable impact on the Fulham Academy and one that is vital to our future success. We boast many impressive accomplishments with player development at the Club over the seasons which would not have been possible without both financial support, but also the belief in our methods and values as an Academy, and these facilities and our Cat 1 status are integral to ensuring we continue to progress,

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/fulhams-new-training-facilities-unveiled/?

WhiteJC

Local Derby For Under-18s

Fulham Under-18s will be looking to make it two wins on the bounce when they host Chelsea at Motspur Park on Saturday (11am).

It will be no mean feat, though, with the Blues currently sitting atop the Premier League U18 South table, having won eight and drawn two of their 12 matches played so far. They are also the top scorers in the division with 32 goals.

They have won their last three, dispatching Southampton 4-1 most recently, although Steve Wigley's side have only been beaten once in five outings.

In the corresponding fixture last term, Chelsea earned a point with the last kick of the game in a 2-2 draw. Harvey St Clair's penalty had put them in front, but the Whites turned things around through Moritz Jenz and Dennis Adeniran efforts, only Richard Nartey to strike at the death.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/25/local-derby-for-under-18s?

WhiteJC

Fulham Showcase Enhanced Training Centre

Fulham Football Club has welcomed visitors to its Motspur Park Training Ground, showcasing its new and much enhanced elite training centre.

Improvements to the centre, funded entirely by chairman Shahid Khan, are in line with the club's commitment to maintaining its EPPP Category One status.

Following an extensive build period and the collaboration of national and local governing bodies to achieve a state of the art complex, the amenities will be utilised by the First Team and Academy, but also by the wider local community.

An official plaque commemorating the occasion was revealed in the all-weather dome – a protected range of training pitches optimising year round use – by Richard Scudamore, Executive Chairman of the Premier League and Ged Roddy, its Director of Football Development.

Alistair Mackintosh, Chief Executive at Fulham Football Club said: "It has taken a lot of hard work from many people to deliver on the master plan for the Motspur Park facility and they all deserve our thanks.

"However, the principal driver behind all of these improvements is our Chairman, Shahid Khan, whose commitment to the Football Club reaches far beyond First Team football, but into the very heart of what makes Fulham so special; its commitment to the past, the present and the future.

"By generously funding the extensive project of works, the Fulham team has a first class facility to train, our envied Academy can prosper, and the community will benefit from the excellent programmes our Foundation delivers. It is an accomplishment everyone involved with the Club should be proud of."

Huw Jennings, Fulham's Academy Director, said: "Maintaining our Category One status has an immeasurable impact on the Fulham Academy and one that is vital to our future success.

"We boast many impressive accomplishments with player development at the Club over the seasons which would not have been possible without both financial support, but also the belief in our methods and values as an Academy, and these facilities and our Category 1 status are integral to ensuring we continue to progress."

Utilising the training ground facilities, the club's Foundation will deliver the practical element of its Football and Education programme, including, but not limited to:

Walking Football
FFCF Ladies team
Premier League Kicks (weekly inclusion activity targeting local young people).
Down Syndrome Team (DS Badgers)
Deaf Team
Girls Development Centre (targeting U12s and U14s)
Football Performance Centre (including Goal Keeper School)

http://www.fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=4671/title=fulham+showcase+enhanced+training+centre?

WhiteJC

Brighton – A barometer of where Fulham stand

Fulham's season has gone through a few distinct stages so far. There was the euphoria of a flawless start – unexpected by all but the most optimistic of the Craven Cottage faithful – and the novelty of a side successful away from home. The expectation soon gave way to realism and frustration, especially when Queens Park Rangers burgled their first victory at the Cottage in more than 20 years, before a resurgence in belief was capped by the recent impressive win at Brentford. But, given the seriously competitive nature of the Championship, where pacesetters can be beaten by those bringing up the rear on a weekly basis, it remains fiendishly difficult to judge where Fulham stand.

Slavisa Jokanovic, who knows what it takes to get out of this league, certainly isn't getting carried away. You sense that champagne football and a six-month unbeaten run wouldn't shift the Serbian from his careful caution in each pre-match press conference: 'All we are focusing on is the next game'. This week's offering, ahead of arguably Fulham's trickiest test of the season so far at Brighton and Hove Albion, though was pretty instructive. Jokanovic admitted he was pleased with his side's progress since the summer and feels that he now has a host of options to pick from, given that his multitude of signings have settled in. He also felt optimistic about how his players were beginning to translate his instructions into a definitive style that is beginning to be seen on the pitch – but remained critical of Fulham's fitful home form.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that Jokanovic has seemingly begun to settle on something closest to his first-choice starting line-up. He has picked the same side for three games in a row now, a luxury that neither he or any of his recent predecessors have not been able to indulge in. The benefit of having a solid and dependable back four – witness Fulham's remarkably stingy defensive record compared to the last two seasons in the Championship – can also be seen in the tactical tweaks Jokanovic has made to his favoured 4-2-3-1 system. The Serbian has sacrificed the second holding midfielder, freeing up Tom Cairney to roam from a more suitable central midfield role, and allowing Sone Aluko to prowl from a wider position. Given that Chris Martin has clicked into gear up front, Fulham now look a promising proposition.

There's every chance Jokanovic will select the same eleven again tomorrow. The worry that Kevin McDonald, so imposing at the base of the midfield, would be overwhelmed against more offensive sides is balanced by the work ethic of Stefan Johansen, who has swiftly established himself as one of the first names on the Fulham team sheet. Such continuity of selection might seem harsh on those who have spent a considerable amount of time on the sidelines, especially the likes of Lasse Vigen Christensen who can't even find himself a spot in the match day eighteen at the moment, but it points to a strength in depth that all successful sides need. You can rest assured that Fulham's resources will be severely tested over the coming winter months.

Ragnar Sigurdsson struck a defiant tone in his interview earlier this afternoon, insisting that Fulham feared nobody. That confident will be severely tested tomorrow against a Brighton side who have once again established themselves as one of the sides to beat. Eleven league games without defeat have opened up a little gap between Albion and the chasing pack – which is nothing to sneezed at at this relatively early stage of the season – and Chris Hughton's know-how is invaluable for a team who might still be scarred by their near miss in the play-offs last year. While Brighton have potent attacking weapons, in the shape of former Leicester wide man Anthony Knockaert and evergreen forward Glenn Murphy, their defensive record is formidable. David Stockdale, whose surprise departure shortly after relegation seems even more of a mistake with each passing week, has kept more clean sheets than any other goalkeeper in the league – and Albion are the side statistically most likely to hold onto a lead.

The trip to the AMEX will be an interesting test of a Fulham side who have fared well on their travels this season. Last season's 5-0 hammering was one of the more insipid away displays that even that unbalanced team put together – and Albion will be confident of extending their three-game winning streak against the Whites. A hard-nosed team, in Jokanovic's image, will need to stand up to them and fight for every ball. Replicating the kind of gritty victory Fulham managed on the south coast almost exactly two years ago would be a serious statement. If the visitors can come away with a result, it will go a long way to saying that Fulham could seriously compete for a top six spot this year. That would prove progress even Slavisa can believe in.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/brighton-a-barometer-of-where-fulham-stand/?

WhiteJC

Match Preview – Brighton v Fulham

Fulham – the team
It's been a tough couple of years since Fulham tore down the statue of Michael Jackson from outside Craven Cottage. Down it came in September 2013. In May 2014 – just four years after contesting a UEFA Cup final against Atletico Madrid – they were relegated from the Premier League after 13 years, since when they have been stuck in the Championship. In the previous two campaigns they haven't looked likely to put in a promotion challenge – last season they finished 20th – but this year they hover just outside the play off positions in eighth spot, some 10 points behind the Albion.

Fulham – the place
Fulham is considered to be one of the prime London areas by estate agents with property prices making even those of Brighton look like crumbs. This is a far cry to it's reputation of 18th century when it was known for debauchery such as gambling, prostitution and drinking. Whilst away games against Fulham may already be a highlight of the calendar, imagine how much better they would be if those sort of activities were still going on as opposed to forking out £6 for a pint.

Fulham – the people
Fans of Fulham must go down as some of the friendliest in the country, as shown by the fact that Craven Cottage is the only stadium with a neutral section. Their list of famous fans is frankly astonishing, featuring as it does one James Bond (Pierce Brosnan), a man who in our opinion should have played Bond (Hugh Grant), Richard Osman, Margot Robbie and most impressive of all, Keith Chegwin. Keith. Bloody. Chegwin.

A good WeAreBrighton.com memory of Fulham at home?
Last year wasn't bad was it? A 5-0 win with a hat-trick from Tomer Hemed. Looked at that point like we were definitely going up as well...

A bad WeAreBrighton.com memory of Fulham at home?
Third tier Brighton faced fourth tier Fulham at home in an FA Cup second round replay in 1995. It was live on Sky to boot, which was a glorious opportunity to be embarassed in front of the nation which we duly took by drawing 0-0 in one of the dullest, coldest games known to man and being eliminated on penalties.

Familiar names
Given their star studded list of supporters, it is hardly surprising to see that Fulham have also put some greats from the world of entertainment in their squad. Former Doctor Who Matt Smith could be partnered up front by Coldplay frontman Chris Martin. They also have a Spanish midfielder called Jozabed which sounds like some strange alternative medicine a hippy would recommend if you had a bad back.

Dangermen
Despite being the lead singer of one of the worlds biggest bands, Martin does seem to love a goal against us in both his Crystal Palace and Derby County days. David Button has also proven to be a highly capable goalkeeper at Brentford and picking him up in the summer looks to be a superb bit of business from the Cottagers.

Betting
Fulham have lost just once on the road so far this season, conceding only six times along the way. That makes a draw at 13/5 appealing. The last three meetings have also all featured penalties and Paddy Power offer a 'To score a penalty' market with Brighton at 11/2.

http://wearebrighton.com/blog/2016/11/match-preview-brighton-v-fulham-2/?

WhiteJC

Up next: Brighton and Hove Albion (a)
by DAN on NOVEMBER 26, 2016

Fulham's fine away form faces one of its sternest tests of the new season when they come up against promotion chasing Brighton and Hove Albion this afternoon. The south coast side have picked up where they left off last term putting the crushing disappointment of defeat in the play-off semi-finals behind them to sit second in the Championship table, with a handy four point gap over the chasing pack. Facing Slavisa Jokanovic's side – even after the Serbian's successful summer revamp – will hold no fear for Chris Hughton's men, who have won their last three meetings with the Cottagers, and can extend their unbeaten run to twelve league matches at the AMEX Stadium later today.

There will be a familiar face in the Brighton dugout for the first time this afternoon as well. Former Fulham midfielder Paul Trollope has replaced Colin Calderwood as Hughton's number two, taking up the assistant manager's position after his first managerial role with Cardiff City ended in disappointment. The links between the two sides don't end there. David Stockdale, who has kept nine Championship clean sheets with Albion so far this term, left Craven Cottage for the Seagulls shortly after the Londoners were relegated from the top flight as part of Felix Magath's madcap fire sale and the goalkeeper has been joined on the south coast by midfielder Steve Sidwell, who is enjoying a fine Indian summer to his career, encapsulated by the incredible goal he scored from the halfway line at Bristol City recently. Former Fulham full-back Liam Rosenior is sidelined by injury.

Breaking down a Brighton side with one of the tightest defensive records in the division will be tricky. Jokanovic has called for focus and intensity from his team, both of which were lacking somewhat in the disappointing draw with Sheffield Wednesday last weekend – but he will also want his tactical approach to be clearly adopted by his players. Saturday's game arguably represents the toughest test of Fulham's new-found away supremacy since they travelled to Villa Park last month and the Whites carefree, expansive football was replaced by a gritty, safety-first approach which counted against them after a horrific error from David Button handed Steve Bruce's side the initiative. The lesson of the last few weeks has to be that the fluid football Fulham have played against the likes of Huddersfield and Brentford makes them a match for most sides in the league – and it could set the tone for a mouth-watering encounter with Albion not short of attacking talent [see Glenn Murphy's goals and Anthony Knockaert's pace and trickery down the wing].

The Serbian shouldn't take too long to consider tinkering with a line-up that has seen Fulham take seven points from their past three matches. With only Scott Parker missing through suspension, it is likely that Jokanovic will opt for the same side that has revived hopes of a top six finish. The only consideration will play whether to replace Lucas Piazon, who was largely anonymous against Wednesday last weekend, with the pace and potency of a fit-again Floyd Ayite after the Togolese winger added some much-needed verve in the final third when he came off the bench. Increasing the protection offered to the back four would also be an option but, considering that Jokanovic was happy to entrust a feisty west London derby to Kevin McDonald alone, you would expect not to dilute his attacking instincts ahead of this contest either.

Much was made of Fulham's resilience to grab a late equaliser against the Owls having trailed for much of the contest. There certainly seems to be greater character about this side than the previous two teams who have graced the Championship in the black and white. Brighton will be a good place to find out about Fulham's grit and determination after the 5-0 capitulation at the AMEX last year. Jokanovic publically questioned the commitment of some of his players that night – and it will be intriguing to see how Fulham match up this time around. A sizeable travelling contingent will be hoping for a much tighter affair, but Albion certainly have the capability to blow opponents away with the quality of some of their football.

Plenty will depend on the solidity of a Fulham defence that has so far stood up to the challenge on the road. The rugged Ragnar Sigurdsson, so bullish in his interview ahead of this game, has struck up an encouraging partnership with Tomas Kalas in central defence and shows signs of adjusting to the cut and thrust of Championship football. The attacking instincts of Fulham's full backs are well known, but the defensive capabilities of Ryan Fredericks, should he successfully shake off a hamstring concern, and Malone will be severely tested by Hughton's wingers from the first whistle. If the visitors can establish a solid base from the outset, they will have a great chance of achieving the kind of result that could mark themselves out as serious contenders for a top six berth.

MY FULHAM XI (4-1-2-3): Button; Fredericks, Malone, Kalas, Sigurdsson; McDonald; Johansen, Cairney; Aluko, Piazon, Cairney; Martin. Subs: Bettinelli, Odoi, Sessegnon, Madl, Christensen, Ayite, Smith.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/up-next-brighton-and-hove-albion-a/?