more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (30/11/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 30, 2016, 07:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Arsenal youngster Akpom set to go on loan, Cardiff, Fulham interested

Arsenal are set to send one of their young stars out on loan, according to the Daily Mirror.

The reliable sports website's sources claim that the Gunners want to farm out Chuba Akpom, the young Under-21 star having made just one appearance this season, and in the EFL to boot.

The Canning Town native made his mark at Hull City last season, scoring three times and helping the Yorkshire side return to the Premier League via the Championship playoffs, earning a winner's medal in the process.

Having injured his back in September, Akpom - who has been compared to Thierry Henry - is recovering well, but is unlikely to feature much for the Gunners this season.

Football League sides Cardiff, Brentford and Fulham are all interested in his services. The England Under-21 star has netted three goals in four caps.

Akpom is best remembered for smashing a hat-trick past Bury in FA Cup action this January.

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/arsenal-youngster-akpom-set-to-go-on-loan-cardiff-fulham-interes-30792

WhiteJC

3 EMERGING FULHAM ATTACKING TALENTS THAT SHOULD GET FANS EXCITED

As starts to the season go, it's been a slightly up and down one for Championship outfit Fulham, who are struggling to find consistency in the division.

Under Slavisa Jokanovic, the Cottagers have struggled to find the form that could take them in touch of the Championship play-offs.

They're a team full of quality and at times, have been far too much for some of their Championship opponents.

But it's the inconsistency that has blighted the side in recent weeks and seen them struggle to really keep pace with the chasing pack at the top.

But despite some games not going their way this campaign, a real bright spark has been some of the young talent coming through the ranks at Craven Cottage.

It's clear Jokanovic is doing a sterling job in bringing through some really hot, young talent which fans should be extremely optimistic about.

But when it comes to attacking talent, who should supporters be getting truly excited about?

FLW's Hayden Atkins takes us through three young Fulham forwards who should be getting the fans extremely excited.

STEPHEN HUMPHRYS

Not quite a first team regular just yet, but there is plenty of optimism that Stephen Humphrys really does have the potential to make it at the very top in London.

Humphrys signed from Bury at the start of the 2013/2014 season and he's a forward who has been a regular scorer at all levels in Fulham's academy and development squads.

Whether he's going to be trusted with first team opportunities right away is yet to be seen but going forward, there is no reason why he shouldn't be given a chance in the near future.

JOSHUA WALKER

Another young striker who is making waves at Fulham is Joshua Walker, who, like Stephen Humphrys, has been making plenty of headlines of his own this season.

Whilst he's not quite as prolific as his striking partner, he's got an abundance of pace and a real talented for getting past opposition defenders.

He really does have a young Wayne Rooney feel about his game and with the right development, this man could be absolutely fantastic.

ELIJAH ADEBAYO

Whilst Elijah Adebayo is currently on a loan spell with Slough Town, he's a player that is expected to be part of the first team picture sooner rather than later.

He's switched between being a centre half and a front man in recent years but now he's playing as a striker once again and scoring plenty of goals.

Like Walker, Adebayo has a wicked burst of pace and can beat defenders with ease.

Keep an eye on this young man.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-emerging-fulham-attacking-talents-that-should-get-fans-excited/

WhiteJC

Fulham youngsters thrash West Ham

Stephen Humphrys scored twice as Fulham's development side beat West Ham 4-1 on Monday evening.

Dennis Adeniran and Lasse Vigen Christensen netted as well in the Premier League 2 match at Craven Cottage, where the hosts fielded a strong side.

There were also outings for Cauley Woodrow, Jozabed, Ryan Tunnicliffe and keeper Marcus Bettinelli.

Humphrys opened the scoring with a curling shot from near the edge of the penalty area before Adeniran headed in from a corner.

It was 3-0 by half-time after Humphrys scored again, this time with a close-range finish after being set up by Marlon Fossey.

Toni Martinez pulled a goal from the penalty spot after being fouled in the area, before Tayo Edun won the ball and teed up Christensen for Fulham's fourth.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-youngsters-thrash-west-ham

WhiteJC

Grant: Thoroughly Deserved Victory

Peter Grant was delighted by his side's performance as Fulham ran out comprehensive 4-1 winners against West Ham United in the PL2 on Monday night.

On a bitterly cold evening down by the Thames a rampant Whites outfit featuring a number of First Team players put a young West Ham side to the sword and continued their surge up the PL2 table to third.

"I was very pleased," Grant reflected. "I thought West Ham started the game well. We had only got the group together on Sunday for the first time because we didn't know who would be playing out of the First Team.

"So once we got to grips with how we wanted to play and the style we wanted to achieve we got going. We were a wee bit unbalanced at the start and we slowly worked through it.

"We were clinical in our finishing but I would have liked to see us be better on the ball. At times we passed it really well but at others we were a little bit scrappy. But overall I was very pleased with the attitude shown by the senior players."

He continued: "It is difficult to come down when you play with the younger boys but I thought everyone worked really well and rubbed off on one another. The young boys' enthusiasm rubbed off on the senior lads.

"We thoroughly deserved the victory and we are going in the right direction with the young boys playing with a purpose now. Our one goal is to win the league and the way we are going about our business. We have an opportunity to do that."

Following a hat-trick against Middleborough in his last match, Stephen Humphrys continued on his fine goal-scoring run by bagging a first-half brace.

Brimming with confidence, the young striker opened the scoring with a smart finish from 20 yards, picking his spot and sending a low drive into the bottom corner. Then just before the interval he followed up with a crisp left-footed effort from five yards out after some tidy work from Marlon Fossey on the right wing.

Grant has been particularly satisfied with the attitude and execution showed by Humphrys on and off the field to elevate his game to the current standard he finds himself in.

"I've been very pleased with Stephen," Grant stated. "At the start of the season, Stephen would tell you we didn't think he was working hard enough.

"We know he is a talented boy who can score goals. But all the best strikers have to work hard in the final third, not only in the games but also in his training.

"He has knuckled down the last four or five weeks and I think he has been excellent. He is getting rewards for his hard work. He is the top goal scorer in the league now and he has to continue to keep doing it.

"He is strong, quick and he likes scoring goals. I am delighted how he has been doing and I hope he continues to do that up until Christmas, with the three games we have between now and then."

With the win Fulham leapfrogged the Hammers and climbed to third in the PL2 Division 2 standings.

Grant is pleased that the side is starting to string together a run of results and reiterated that their goal is to win the divisional title.

"We have got a group of boys here who are good enough to win the league, so to do that we have to maintain and play really well," he explained. "We are predominantly an Under-19 team with a lot of Under-18 players.

"Many of the other teams are a lot stronger, especially the Premier League teams. We have to play exceptionally well to win games because we are such a young group. We are not a physical as the rest.

"We always set goals for these boys. If we get everything together we can hopefully win the league."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/29/grant-reaction

WhiteJC

Fulham striker believes Whites need to be more 'savvy' as they bid to recover from Brighton loss

Back in the groove: Chris Martin

Chris Martin has urged his side to be more "savvy" in the future if they are too see out games and ensure they are not left empty handed.

The striker was referring to his side's lacklustre second 45 at Brighton which saw Fulham let their half-time lead slip and end up on the losing side as goals from Sam Baldock and Glenn Murray cancelled out Kevin McDonald's opener.

The Cottagers forward believes his side need to manage the game better if they are to reap the rewards for their efforts and ensure their levels don't drop as the game goes on.

Brighton scored within seven minutes of the restart through Sam Baldock and Martin feels his side needed to be more resilient in the early stages of the second-half: "Obviously we started the second half off poorly and conceded far too quickly after being one goal up

"If we manage the game a little bit better and stay in front longer I think Brighton will end up getting nervous.

"We can't rest on our laurels we played extremely well in the first-half but we can't go out their second-half and expect the same thing to happen. We need to keep the same mentality, effort and attitude and carry that on"

Fulham dominated the initial period of last Saturday's game at the Amex and deservedly took the lead through Kevin McDonald. They should have been out of sight at the half-time whistle but they allowed several guilt edge chances to go begging.

Reading will be the next side to visit Craven Cottage when the sides meet on Saturday and fans will hope their side can heed the words of their on-loan forward.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-believes-whites-need-12246384

WhiteJC

Festive Fixtures On Sale

Tickets for Fulham's final two matches of the calendar year are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members.

We're pleased to confirm that we are subsidising travel for each of these fixtures, so fans can buy a return coach ticket for just £5. Please note that no trains will be running on Boxing Day for the Ipswich match.

Tickets for that game at Portman Road (Monday 26th December, 3pm) are priced at £32.50 for adults and from £11.50 for concessions, while tickets for our trip to the Madejski four days later (Friday 30th December, 8pm) are available from £20/£5 for Season Ticket Holders and Members.

Tickets for each match will be sold on a block-by-block basis.

Buy your ticket today to back the boys as they look to end 2016 in style!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/29/festive-fixtures-on-sale

WhiteJC

McDonald: Give Everything

After a painful loss at Brighton on Saturday, Kevin McDonald is desperate for Fulham to set the record straight this weekend.

The Whites were the better team for the majority of the encounter at the Amex Stadium, but two second half goals saw the hosts come from behind to claim a 2-1 win.

"We felt in control for large parts of the game, especially in the first half, so to come away with no points is a hard one to take," he told fulhamfc.com. "For their goals, we've got to do much better.

"Firstly we've got to take our chances, and then we've got to defend much better at the other end. So it's a hard one to take but we've got to look at the positives from it.

"You know you've done well when a couple of their boys come up to you and say as much. A few said to me, 'you're the best team we've played so far, you absolutely dominated us, I don't know how we've won this game,' and stuff like that.

"So we'll take credit from that but at the end of the day we came away with no points, but we showed that we can compete with the best of them."

McDonald's third goal of the season had put Fulham in front in Falmer, and he admitted he was relieved that the eagle-eyed linesman had spotted that his header from the tightest of angles had crossed the line.

"Once I'd headed it, I'd ended up off the pitch so I could see it had gone over the line," he explained. "Sometimes these decisions don't get given so I wasn't too sure if they'd seen it, but thankfully they did and I got myself a goal."

Next up, the Whites entertain the Sky Bet Championship's form side Reading, whose run of five consecutive wins has catapulted them to third in the standings.

Jaap Stam has quickly implemented a flowing Dutch style of football since taking over at the club, but McDonald knows his team has enough quality to inflict a rare defeat on the Royals.

"Brighton's in the past now," he stated. "All the work this week is towards Reading, and we'll go again and try and give a similar performance to last time out, but hopefully this time come away with the three points.

"It's always hard to break down teams, especially at home. I'm sure Reading will come and play expansive football.

"I've seen them a couple of times and they play nice stuff, but it's really up to us how we approach the game and how we want to play. I'm sure if we go about it the right way then we'll get three points.

"We'll give it everything we possibly can and hopefully it'll be enough come the end of Saturday."

Tickets for Saturday's meeting with Reading are available for fans to buy on General Sale, priced from £25 for adults and from £15 for juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/29/kevin-mcdonald-give-everything

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Scott Parker talks West Ham heroics, Fulham's promotion chances and a potential future in coaching

"This is probably not the answer you are looking for but to start looking back on a career that I haven't quite finished might suggest that I should stop playing, which I certainly don't envisage doing immediately. Can you ask me again in a few years' time?"

When asked to recall the most memorable moment of his career to date, this was certainly not the answer expected of Fulham midfielder Scott Parker, who has enjoyed fruitful spells with Charlton Athletic, Norwich City, Chelsea, Newcastle United, West Ham United, Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham and England. Nonetheless, it is a response that embodies the spirit that the 36-year-old has shown throughout almost two decades in the game. An industrious midfielder, who has proven himself to be an ardent professional, this motivation to continue at the highest level is firmly in-line with the player's character.

A cultured midfielder, he who has clocked up the miles for both club and country, Parker has featured for the England National Team a total 18 times, while making over 400 league appearances across the Premier League and the Championship. Despite being a regular receiver of praise at domestic level, with sporadic appearances for his country, his increased involvement with The Three Lions came as a result of his breathtaking individual performances throughout his stay at Upton Park, with West Ham United.

In 2011, Parker found himself named Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers' Association. Despite being one of the closest run contests in recent memory, the then-30-year-old topped the journalist's poll ahead of Tottenham's Gareth Bale. Following in the footsteps of legendary England skipper Bobby Moore in 1964, as he became only the second West Ham recipient of the award. Humble, as ever, he told The Boot Room:

"It was great to be recognised by the football writers and it's an aware that means a lot to me though I have to be honest to say that I still feel some mixed emotions, the award came at the end of a season where we were relegated at West Ham."

This accolade came as testimony to Parker's excellent displays throughout the year with the Hammers, despite the club's eventual relegation from the Premier League. Having made 32 league appearances for the Upton Park outfit, his consistency of performance for a team residing in a lowly top flight position saw him force his way back into the England set-up, earning a highly-anticipated recall for a Euro Qualifier against Wales.

Just like Moore, Parker would then go on to captain his country, albeit just the once – a moment he highlights, alongside his Three Lions debut, as one of the proudest moments of his career to date: "I think my debut, coming on as a sub against Denmark, will always stick out in my mind as it's a great honour for any footballer to represent their country. I captained the side at Wembley against Holland too which was a great honour, the 2-0 win against Wales in the Euro 2012 qualifier at the Millennium stands out also."

Named West Ham's Player of the Year for three consecutive seasons, interest in Parker's services was unsurprisingly high following the club's demotion. After handing in a transfer request at Upton Park, he would soon secure his move to White Hart Lane with Tottenham, on a three year deal, under Harry Redknapp. A long-term target of the then-Spurs manager, the Englishman would quickly form a highly successful midfield partnership with Croatian international Luka Modric – a player he considers the best he has ever played alongside:

"There are many players to mention with different attributes that have made them great to play alongside as well as difficult opponents. I'd have to say that the two players that stand out are Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard who I played with at Spurs and England respectively. I have highlighted these two players as they have played alongside me in midfield it it's easy to see how much talent they have in their positioning, movement and ability to pick out a good pass."

Parker would go on to make 60 appearances for Tottenham, captaining the club on multiple occasions, with his committed style of play proving a revelation, particularly in his debut campaign. Nonetheless, when he opted to have surgery on his Achilles tendon in his second season at the Lane, he missed a long stretch of games which put him out of action until December. In his wake, the pairing of new signings Mousa Dembele and Sandro (who were seen as the players to replace Modric, who signed for Real Madrid in August 2012) were preferred by newly appointed manager André Villas-Boas. A tactical decision which would ultimately result in Parker's summer move to Fulham.

The midfielder's decision to move to Craven Cottage in August 2013 came as a surprise to many, and very few would have anticipated the Englishman decision to stay at the club following relegation at the end of the campaign. After all, only a season previously he had been playing in Europe for Spurs and driving the club's challenge for a top four Premier League place. He finished his debut campaign as the Lilywhite's Player of Year, before featuring heavily for the England National Team at Euro 2012. Nonetheless, determined to right the club's wrongs, he opted to stick it out at Fulham in the Championship, and there he remains.

"I think I owed this [staying beyond the summer] to the club. It's never great to be relegated and it's an experience where you analyse the season and try to figure out how you might have done things differently to avoid relegation.  It's part of football and something teams and players have to deal with."

It hasn't be all plain sailing for Fulham since relegation from the Premier League, despite supporters and pundits, alike, anticipating an almost instantaneous return to the top flight. Nonetheless, after a few campaigns flirting with relegation, the London outfit finally looks in a position to challenge for promotion and, at the very least, a spot in the play-offs. Revitalized under the stewardship of head coach Slavisa Jokanovic, who expertly steered Watford to the promised land two seasons previously, Parker believes the squad has learnt the lessons required to fulfil their potential this term:

"The last two campaigns have been below par in terms of where we finished in the table and it's a stark reminder of just how competitive the championship really is. Our ambitions have always been to try to get back into the Premier League and if we've learnt anything from the last two campaigns is that you have to be consistent and get a good run of form at key points in the season to stay in touching distance with the teams at the top. If we manage to do this, there is no reason why we cannot challenge for a play-off place. However, many other teams in this league will probably be thinking the same thing."

At the age of 36, Parker has seen his game time limited this season, making 12 starts in 16 appearances. In spite of this, he continues to play a pivotal role at the club, with his experience proving a tremendous asset. The midfielder recognises the unforgiving nature of the Championship and understands exactly what is required of Fulham in order for the club to fulfil their targets come May. Currently in 10th place, with 25 points after 18 matches, the club have shown signs of brilliance this term. However, these moments have been undermined by abject performances and failure to close out games, like against Queens Park Rangers, as Parker described:

"Our performances have been good and we've had chances to win some of the matches we've lost or drawn in; QPR at home springs to mind where we dominated for most of the match and had good chances to win, instead we conceded late, lost the game and we were left scratching our heads a little bit. There are still many games to play, this league is relentless and we have to keep ourselves focussed and motivated for every  challenge. The recent win at home against Huddersfield Town demonstrates just how good we can be on our day."

There is a certain romance in the direction Parker's career has progressed. Having, himself, enjoyed considerable success as a youngster, winning the 2004 PFA Young Player of the Year Award in the season he made the switch from Charlton to Chelsea – an accolade which would set him up for a very successful career in the upper echelons of the English game – he is now able to offer his experience and guidance to those who could one day follow in a similar path. Speaking with fondness, Parker described how he was able to pass on some of his experience to Ryan Sessegnon, when the 16-year-old made his senior debut for Fulham earlier this season:

"This certainly brought back memories of my first match [for Charlton under Alan Curbishley, also at the age of 16]. The advice I give to young players is to enjoy every moment, there are a lot of pressures associated with playing professionally and it's vital for a young player to possess mental strengths and the ability to come back stronger when faced with injuries or when things aren't going well."

When his playing days draw to a close, a career in coaching, or even management, appears to be the next step for the Fulham captain. Having completed his UEFA Pro licence during the summer, he has spent his time at Craven Cottage getting to grips with this side of the game through his work with the Fulham under-21 team. Playing just as big a role off the pitch, as on it, he we also seen assisting with first team affairs on the bench during the club's spell without a manager, last Christmas.

"Coaching certainly opens your eyes and ears," he said, "I take a lot of information in and I try to use all the best bits that I've learnt from managers and people that have coached me throughout my career.  It's no secret that it's an area of great interest to me and coaching would allow me to stay in the game I love when I finally decide to call it a day on the playing side."

"Ultimately a successful coach is judged by the results he or she produces and this comes down to the planning, preparation and work carried out on the pitch. I have coached at Fulham and at Spurs and you do recognise quite quickly that there is an art involved in getting your message across to the players and relaying the small things you have learnt."

Slavisa Jokanovic is a keen admirer of Parker's leadership qualities, and there is every chance that the Fulham head coach will have a place for the Englishman once he playing days are over. Having offered the 36-year-old a contract extension last May, Jokanovic clearly recognises his importance to the club, be it as a player or a coach. Speaking to Get West London earlier this season, he is quoted as saying:

"In the spring, when I'll be thinking about Scott Parker for next season or not and it's a question of when he wants to finish. He's a quality man and in front of him is his decision. He can play for a few years and he loves the beautiful game. I don't know what he'll do when he ends his playing career whether it will be coach or not but he'll be involved in the club 100 per cent."

Nonetheless, despite working towards his badges and a potential future in coaching, Parker appears reluctant to cut short his career early, in making the transition from player to backroom staff. As he previously alluded to, the former West Ham man stills sees himself very much as valued member of the playing squad, and there is no doubt that he remains a priceless asset to Jokanovic in this capacity. When asked if he will soon consider making the move upstairs, he responded with the following:

"I try not to give this too much thought which might seem a strange thing to say given that I've been taking my badges but whilst I'm still playing and enjoying it, I try to apply all of my concentration to my physical preparation and to the games which coincidentally come thick and fast so you don't really get too much time to think about anything else. I'm the type of person that doesn't want to attempt things at half measure, I want to be able to say that I'm well prepared and can coach to the best of my ability and I'm sure when the time finally comes, I will switch my attention but as I say, right now I enjoy playing."

At 36 years of age, and with just one year left on his current contract at Fulham, the long-term future is perhaps uncertain for the 2011 Football Writers' Player of the Year. For now, Parker's focus is evidently the London outfit's battle for promotion back to the Premier League. However, questions regarding the next step in his career are going to continue being asked.

Clearly enjoying his football under Cottagers boss Slaviša Jokanovic, he still has an important role to play, not least for the experience his brings. Be it next summer, or in two years time, Parker will retire as one of the nation's most individually decorated players. Having won the hearts of thousands throughout a career spanning just shy of two decades, his industrious playing style has made him a cult hero for both club and country.

http://tbrfootball.com/exclusive-scott-parker-talks-west-ham-heroics-fulhams-promotion-chances-and-coaching/

WhiteJC

How do Reading FC replace the suspended Liam Moore at Fulham? A look at Jaap Stam's options
Royals' impressive centre-back will be missing at Craven Cottage having picked up five bookings this season

iam Moore picked up his fifth booking of the season on Saturday against Bristol City - earning himself a one-match suspension.

The centre-back, signed in the summer from Leicester City, will now miss this weekend's trip to Fulham.

And his absence will come as big blow to Jaap Stam - with Moore and skipper Paul McShane having formed a formidable partnership at the heart of the Reading defence.

So what options does Stam have available when it comes to replacing Moore at Craven Cottage? We've taken a look.

Play Blackett and McShane in a flat back four
In recent weeks we've seen a slight shift in system with Jaap Stam using a centre back trio in a 5-3-2 formation.

Liam Moore, Paul McShane and Tyler Blackett have worked superbly together - with Blackett producing his best performances since arriving at the club.

But with Moore now absent - Stam could return to a flat back four and just pair Blackett and McShane together, either side of Jordan Obita and Chris Gunter.

It would seem the most likely option available to the manager.

Risk bringing Joey back early
Joey van den Berg was close to a return on Saturday - so it would seem logical that he has a good chance of featuring this weekend.

And with the Dutchman having already played at centre-back several times this season, he could be another option for Stam - especially if he wanted to play in a 5-3-2.

He could slot van den Berg between Blackett and McShane, something that would allow Obita and Gunter to continue in a wing-back role.

Bring Jake Cooper back into the fold
Jake Cooper has not made a senior appearances since August 23 due to an ankle injury.

But the young centre-back is now back at full fitness and has featured for the Under-23s recently in the games against Yeovil Town and Athletic Bilbao.

Interestingly he didn't play against Manchester United on Monday night - perhaps a sign that he could be in involved at Craven Cottage.

But the prospect of him starting against Fulham is slim, given his sketchy form before his injury and that he has not impressed for the U23s since his return.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-reading-fc-replace-suspended-12248348