2 - 1 Preston
Wigan
0 - 1 Derby
Leeds
2 - 0 Aston Villa

WhiteJC

Brilliant Fulham crush 10-man Reading

Fulham 5 Reading 0

Chris Martin scored twice as Fulham produced one of their best displays of the season to reinforce their play-off credentials.

In a repeat of the thrashing of Huddersfield in October, the Whites dismantled high-flying Reading, who had won their previous five matches and conceded only once.

Although they were aided by Danny Williams' sending off 11 minutes into the second half, the Whites were already 2-0 up at that stage having been dominant for much of the game.

Their opening goal was symptomatic of the anxiety within the Royals' defence, as Chris Gunter – under no real pressure – nodded Ryan Fredericks' cross into his own net.

That they were only a goal up at half-time might have raised fears of a repeat of a repeat of last weekend's defeat at Brighton, when Fulham also led 1-0 having squandered a number of chances.

But they were dispelled just four minutes after the break when Martin's crisply struck right-footed shot from the edge of the box doubled the lead.

Williams' dismissal, after a brief tussle with the prone Stefan Johansen on the byline, just allowed Slavisa Jokanovic's side even more space to wreak havoc.

Sone Aluko scored the third after a magical run saw him skip away from defenders on the right flank, cut inside and find the bottom corner.

The assistant referee initially raised his flag against Martin, sliding in the line as the shot came in, but the referee allowed the goal to stand.

A few minutes later, Johansen used the outside of his left boot to score the fourth and after Al Habsi had made a couple of saves to keep the score down, Martin struck with a free-kick late on to complete the rout.

Fulham: Button; Fredericks, Ream, Kalas, Malone; McDonald, Johansen (Parker 84); Aluko (Piazon 76), Cairney, Ayite (Kebano 87); Martin.
Subs not used: Bettinelli, Madl, Sessegnon, Smith.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/brilliant-fulham-crush-10-man-reading

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović described Fulham's 5-0 win over Reading as "the complete afternoon," but says his side are capable of more.

A Chris Gunter own goal had given the Whites a slender half-time lead, but clinical finishes from Chris Martin (2), Sone Aluko and Stefan Johansen after the break secured a comfortable victory.

"I can be very happy with this victory and the performance of the team," he said. "I am very satisfied because we offered a great afternoon for our supporters. It was the complete afternoon for us.

"We played a very good game, we tried to press them very high. This is one of the teams who has more possession in the Championship. But we moved the ball and didn't give them too much space to think and move without the ball.

"We won possession very often and created a lot of chances which led to many goals, and we showed how we can be strong when we believe in ourselves, believe in our style, and this is good news for us.

"I'm happy with the progress of my team. We tried to find our identity, our style. We want to dominate teams. We played today with less touches, our passing was with a good pace, and at the end we created many things and scored many goals.

"Normally I am never satisfied, but this afternoon I'll try to be satisfied. But we can still do better in the future."

Last time out, Fulham impressed at high-flying Brighton & Hove Albion only to leave empty handed, and Jokanović was pleased to see his team rewarded for sticking with their slick playing style against the Royals.

"We pushed hard, we continued at the same level," he explained. "My players and I were not thinking about the past. We had a bad defeat in the last game against Brighton where we played very good football for many minutes, but we didn't find the result.

"We didn't change the style [against Reading], we tried to move the ball, we dominated. It's important if we play against one of the top teams in this league that we believe in ourselves and push hard.

"We scored five goals but we still need to be more clinical in some moments. It's important in football that when your moment arrives, you kill the opposition team.

"Today our good moment was for 90 minutes – sometimes it's not possible, and we have to be clinical in the right moment in different games."

Martin's brace took his tally to six goals in 14 appearances for the Club, and his Head Coach was pleased with his all round play.

"He's a target man and we need to connect with him," Jokanović stated. "He scored the goals, he was our platform player. Apart from the goals he did very good work and pressed the opposition defenders very well.

"Credit to him, he's an experienced player and his numbers in the past show us that he can be a very important player for us. He's our top scorer and we have to believe in him." 

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/03/head-coach-reaction

WhiteJC

Five-star Fulham dismantle sorry wretched Reading

Ten-man Reading saw their winning run come to a shuddering halt as Fulham cruised to a 5-0 win at Craven Cottage.

Jaap Stam's side had won five successive games, but their promotion push suffered a major setback on Saturday.

An own goal from Chris Gunter helped Fulham on their way and there was no looking back once Chris Martin extended the lead.

Danny Williams was then sent off for Reading and it only got worse as goals from Sone Aluko, Stefan Johansen and Martin again made it an afternoon to forget.

Reading headed to west London as the form team of the second tier, but the build-up had been dominated by off-field events.

A takeover which would see a Chinese brother and sister seize control is reported to be close to completion and Stam revealed he feared for his job if the new owners decide to bring in their own man. This will do him no favours.

Stam has implemented an eye-catching passing game, but he would not have wanted Jordan Obita to gift Fulham a chance in the sixth minute.

Obita's 40-yard free-kick was cut out by Floyd Ayite, who advanced forward before stinging the palms of Reading goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi. It set the tone.

Reading were constantly playing themselves into trouble and Scott Malone's cross-shot again forced Al-Habsi into action as Fulham came charging out of the blocks.

It was no surprise when Fulham took a 15th-minute lead, albeit through Gunter's mistake.

No Fulham player was within yards of Gunter, but he got it all wrong and headed Ryan Fredericks' cross past his own goalkeeper.

Reading had been uncharacteristically sloppy with and without the ball and the own goal summed up their sluggish start. David Button in the Fulham goal was a virtual spectator.

When Reading did carve out a chance, Roy Beerens delayed his shot and the dominant home side cleared the danger.

Stam would surely have been into his players at half-time, but it not have the desired effect as Fulham extended their lead four minutes after the restart.

Ayite fed Martin and the on-loan striker galloped forward and, as Reading's defence retreated, fired beyond Al-Habsi from 25 yards out. Martin should have also been celebrating twice more just two minutes later.

First he headed Tom Cairney's free-kick over from close range.

Then Ayite's cross found him in space, but he blazed over from 12 yards out.

It went from bad to worse for Reading when Williams saw red for kicking out at Johansen after reacting to the midfielder's late challenge with 54 minutes on the clock.

Fulham were now in control, but in danger of taking their eye off the ball. Dominic Samuel bore down on goal, but was denied by Fredericks, while an unmarked George Evans headed straight at Button from close-range.

But it was game over when Aluko cut inside to curle home from the angle in the 68th minute.

Despite Reading's protests that Martin was offside, the goal rightfully stood. Reading had gone to pieces and within two minutes Johansen strode forward to pile on the misery with a fine finish with the outside of his left foot.

Martin's late free-kick added the gloss on a nightmare afternoon for Reading.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/five-star-fulham-dismantle-sorry-wretched-reading-1832945.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 5 - 0 Reading FC: Danny Williams red carded as Royals crash to heaviest defeat of the season

READING FC suffered another Craven Cottage nightmare as their five-match winning streak came to a painful end.

Royals fans thought it couldn't get worse than last year's 4-2 humbling in west London which sparked a dramatic slide down the table.

But this was every bit as disappointing as Jaap Stam's men crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season.

The ramifications will also be felt for weeks to come following a Danny Williams red card for violent conduct, ruling the USA midfielder out for the next three games.

Questions will also be asked of Reading's defence who were run ragged by the pacy Cottagers.

Stam's men had only conceded once in their previous five games, but here they were torn apart time and time and again and were in many ways flattered by the scoreline.

They could have fallen behind well before the sun got in Chris Gunter's eyes as he headed into his own net with 15 minutes gone.

Royals' goal led a charmed life until Chris Martin put Fulham 2-0 up in the 49th minute before goals from Sone Aluko on 68 minutes and Stefan Johansen three minutes later left the hosts in dreamland.

Hundreds of Reading fans had headed home long before Martin added a fifth in the 90th minute to compound the misery and secure Fulham's third straight league win against the Royals.

Yes, Liam Moore was out through suspesion, but Reading should not have missed the services of the talented centre-back this much.

Stam made one change from the side that beat Bristol City 2-1 at home a week earlier, with fit-again Joey van den Berg replacing Moore.

Fulham made two changes from the side that lost to Brighton as Ryan Fredericks and Tim Ream were recalled, while ex-Royals loanee Lucas Piazon had to settle for a place on the bench.

The Brazillian joined a packed Craven Cottage to observe a minute's silence for the Chapecoense football team, many of whom were among the 71 who lost their lives in the recent air disaster in Colombia.

Reading have been fast starters in recent weeks, but they were off the boil against the pumped-up Cottagers.

Their passing was sloppy, they were second best all over the pitch and their goal was immediately under threat.

The hosts went close in the sixth minute when Floyd Ayite's shot forced a decent save from Ali Al-Habsi after Stam's men had lost the ball in midfield.

Three minutes late Al-Habsi made an even better stop to keep the scores level, flying to his left to claw away Scott Malone's effort which had deflected off Gunter.

It was one-way traffic and another let-off followed when Ayite volleyed over from close range when he should have hit the target.

But Reading's luck ran out with 15 minutes on the clock.

Fulham were having plenty of joy down the flanks, and they worked their way past Jordan Obita before Fredricks whipped over a dangerous cross from the right.

All Gunter could do was head the ball past Al-Habsi from three yards out, the Welshman claiming he was blinded by the low, winter sun.

In truth, it was no more than Fulham deserved and they continued to push for a second.

It needed a crucial block by Tyler Blackett to deny Martin from inside the box. Then following a series of corners, Martin saw his header saved by the alert Al-Habsi.

Royals were a shadow of their themselves against a Fulham side who could have been out of sight.

They threatened in the 33rd minute, but Aluko blazed over on the angle when he should have passed to a team-mate.

The more the home side squandered their opportunities, the more hope it gave Royals.

Gradually, they began to play their way back into the game by maintaining better possession.

They even had a sniff at goal a minute before the break, though it was more in hope as van den Berg picked out Garath McCleary, who could only fire wide of the target from a long way out.

But things soon got worse after the interval when Fulham scored again four minutes into the second half.

Royals failed to deal with a routine long ball which Ayite flicked on to Martin. The former Derby man chested it down before racing towards goal unopposed and rifling the ball past Al-Habsi's right hand and into the far corner.

Stam's men were struggling to deal with Martin, who could have had a hat-trick within a few minutes only to head over from six yards then drag a free shot wide from 15 yards.

Royals also lost their discipline and their hopes went up in smoke in the 54th minute when Williams was red carded for kicking out at Johansen.

Yet they almost pulled one back in the 57th minute when Obita's volley deflected behind from a pin-point Gunter cross.

Then, after Stam had replaced Roy Beerens with Liam Kelly, they threatened again, but George Evans could only head straight at David Button from McCleary's corner.

Fulham regained control as Tom Cairney tested Al-Habsi with 65 minutes gone and then blazed wide a few minutes later.

But two goals in a three-minute blitz secured the points for the hosts.

Reading's defence was all at sea when Aluko charged into the area and slotted past Al-Habsi in the 68th minute.

Referee Oliver Langford appeared to rule it out for possible offside against Martin, then awarded the goal after consulting with his assistant.

Three minutes later it was four, as Paul McShane misjudged a cross and Johansen arrived in perfect time to poke the ball home.

It was damage limitation from there, with Royals firmly on the back foot and Fulham searching for a fifth.

It almost came 14 minutes from time when Martin's backpost header was expertly saved by Al-Habsi.

The hosts also saw a strong penalty claim turned down when Piazon went down under McShane's challenge.

But they did grab a fifth in the last minute when Martin's free-kick found its way past Al-Habsi.

The only crumb of comfort on a depressing day for the visitors is that Royals remain third in the table and three points ahead of Birmingham City, who lost 3-0 at home to Barnsley.

Just behind Birmingham on goal difference are Sheffield Wednesday, who beat Preston 2-1 and visit Madejski Stadium next Saturday (3pm ko).

Royals will need to play a whole lot better than this if they are to start another winning run against the Owls.

Fulham: Button, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone, Johansen (Parker 84), McDonald, Aluko (Piazon 76), Cairney, Ayité (Kebano 87), Martin. Subs not used: Bettinelli, Smith, Madl, Sessegnon. Booked: Aluko 40.

Reading: Al-Habsi, Gunter, Obita, McShane (c), Blackett, Van den Berg, Evans, Williams, Beerens (Kelly 57), McCleary (Harriott 77), Samuel (Meite 66). Subs not used: S.Moore, Cooper, Mendes, Watson. Booked: McShane 2, Obita 50, van den Berg 57, Evans 88. Red card: Williams 54.

Referee: Oliver Langford.

Attendance: 18,217.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/14944889.Fulham_5___0_Reading_FC__It_s_another_Craven_Cottage_mauling_as_10_man_Royals_collapse_in_west_London/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic: 'Confident' Fulham taking each game as it comes after thrashing Royals at Craven Cottage
The Whites romped to victory on Saturday against Reading thanks to four second half strikes

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic admits the 5-0 thrashing of Reading showed the confidence surging through his side.

The Whites won 5-0 against the ten men thanks to a double strike from Chris Martin, which sandwiched goals from Sone Aluko and Stefan Johansen.

It all came after opposing defender Chris Gunter put beyond his own goalkeeper in the first half.

And the Whites boss reckons his side put on a display to remember.

He told BBC London Sport: "We started very well, we played with confidence, the players understand what we expect and what they have to do on the field.

"We have completed one very good result and the performance. At the end, I can be really satisfied with what my team showed today at the Cottage.

"It is confidence, desire and energy. Generally we start very well, we continued to get better and finished even better.

"We have so many attempts at the end, we missed many chances.

Slavisa Jokanovic in good spirits before the Reading match

"We scored five goals, I have to be satisfied for my players and satisfied for the supporters. They deserved a victory like the one today."

The Fulham manager will be undoubtedly eyeing a place in the play-offs after another sensational victory against a side in the top three.

It follows October's smashing of Huddersfield by the same scoreline, when the Terriers were also in third place.

But Jokanovic has warned his side not to get too far ahead of themselves with a tricky festive period to come.

"At the end we showed how we can be strong when we are working with confidence," Jokanovic added. "We are in the process, we are going to try and be more competitive in the future.

"I am less confidence about my next steps. It is a busy period. For all the team. It's important to rest well and be ready for this busy period, but it's more important to see what is immediately in front of us.

"I cannot change my idea, I try looking in short steps is the best way for us."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-confident-fulham-taking-12269307

WhiteJC

Martin's future out of my hands – Jokanovic

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has admitted the future of Chris Martin is out of his hands.

Martin struck twice as the Whites thrashed Reading 5-0 to take his tally to six in 14 games since his loan move from Derby County.

The Scotland forward was brought in late on deadline day as one of Jokanovic's key targets.

But when asked if he wanted to make Martin's loan permanent, Jokanovic, who is not in sole control of Fulham's transfer policy, said: "Generally, this is not in my hands.

"I am happy with Chris Martin and the club know my opinion. But he's important for us now and for the rest of the season.

"He scored two goals, but apart from that he offered very good work and pressed the opponents very well.

"He's an experienced player and his numbers in the past show us he can be very important player for us."

Jokanovic was pleased with the dismantling of Reading, who had won five in a row before their visit to Craven Cottage.

He said: "I can be very happy with this victory and the performance of the team. I am very satisfied because we offered one great afternoon for our supporters.

"We showed how strong we can be if we believe in ourselves, if we believe in our style.

"I am happy with the progress of my team. This is more or less the style we wanted to find."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-loan-derby-county-mans-future-hands-says-fulham-boss

WhiteJC

Confidence flowing through Fulham after thrashing of Reading

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has told BBC Radio London via Get West London that confidence is flowing through his team after they battered Reading 5-0.

The Cottagers went into their match with Reading as the underdogs as the Royals had been on a good run of form and were in the play-off places. However they were shocked as Fulham had one of the best performances of their season as they ran out as 5-0 winners.

In the first half Fulham were able to edge the game after Chris Gunter headed the ball into his own net, but they were really able turn it on in the second half. Chris Martin doubled the lead with a shot from outside the box before Reading were reduced to ten man after Danny Williams was sent off for kicking out.

Fulham then took complete control and goals from Sone Aluko, Stefan Johansen and another from Martin confirmed what would be a great victory for the West London side.

In the post-match press conference, Jokanovic said: "We started very well, we played with confidence, the players understand what we expect and what they have to do on the field."

"We have completed one very good result and the performance. At the end, I can be really satisfied with what my team showed today at the Cottage."

"It is confidence, desire and energy. Generally we start very well, we continued to get better and finished even better."

"We have so many attempts at the end, we missed many chances."

"We scored five goals, I have to be satisfied for my players and satisfied for the supporters. They deserved a victory like the one today."

http://the72.co.uk/69010/confidence-flowing-through-fulham-after-thrashing-ofreading/

WhiteJC

Five-star Fulham bring Royals' run to a shuddering halt
by DAN on DECEMBER 3, 2016

Match report by Sam Holter

If Slavisa Jokanovic sought a reaction after the disappointing manner of Fulham's second-half capitulation at promotion challenging Brighton last weekend, this would have been what he had in mind. A rampant home side recorded the kind of victory that suggested Fulham have the quality to contend for a place in the Championship's top six this season and they ended Reading's five-match winning run in thumping style. It was the kind of defeat Jaap Stam had confidently insisted he wasn't worried about prior to the trip to west London – and it proved to be Fulham's most complete display of the year to date.

Fulham have become used to dominating opponents at Craven Cottage this term but failing to see such superiority reflected on the scoreboard. It looked as though that might be the case during a first half that Jokanovic's side controlled with surprising ease only to have a single goal to show for all their elegant football, with Chris Gunter beating his own goalkeeper with a majestic header after being flummoxed by Ryan Fredericks' cross. But Fulham were rampant in a second half that saw both Reading's defence and their discipline crumble. Danny Williams was sent off for kicking out at Stefan Johansen, a decision Stam questioned following the final whistle, and a brace from Chris Martin as well as strikes from Sone Aluko and Johansen put clear water between the Whites and their heavily-fancied promotion rivals.

Reading began nervously, with Ali Al-Habsi gifting the home side a sight of goal with a slack clearance just minutes in, and then Floyd Ayite intercepted a crazy crossfield pass from Jordan Obita and sprinted half the length of the field to fire in a shot that the Royals' goalkeeper pushed up into the air before claiming at the second attempt. Al Habsi produced a sensational save to keep out a goalbound drive from Scott Malone, who had been given plenty of encouragement to scamp forward from full-back, and Ayite should have done better than skying a glorious chance into the upper reaches of the Putney End after being picked out by Aluko.

Just when you were were wondering if another afternoon of frustration was on the cards, up popped Gunter to offer the Cottagers' a helping hand. The Welsh defender found himself in no-man's land when Fredericks' dangerous centre came across his six-yard box, heading an attempted clearance firmly into the ground – under little pressure at the far post – and leaving Al-Habsi with little chance. Fredericks nearly served up a second a minute later, but Johansen's near post effort was bravely blocked at source.

Fulham certainly should have taken a clearer lead into the half-time break with them, but Al-Habsi gathered Martin's intelligent flick at a corner and both Aluko, lifting an effort fractionally over the bar after being played in by Johansen, and Ayite spurned decent chances to give the home side breathing space. Reading attacked only spasmodically with their only real opening of the half falling to Garath McCleary, who hit a hopeful shot high and wide just before half time.

Any worries about a repeat of the AMEX second half surrender were extinguished early in the second half. Firstly, by a brilliant finish from Martin – who anticipated a flick on from David Button's long kick by Ayite perfectly, made the most of the half a yard of space he was criminally afforded by the Reading defence and lashed a lovely effort into the bottom corner from 20 yards out. The Scotland international would have been upset not to add immediately to his tally when he headed wastefully over from a Johansen free-kick and lost his footing after being picked out by Ayite, spooning his shot over the bar.

The visitors' hopes of regaining a foothold in the contest disappeared with Williams, who was shown a straight red card for lashing out at Johansen after the pair had contested a loose ball that refused to drift out of play by the byline. A sign of Reading's sudden lose of composure came moments later when Joey van der Berg was yellow carded for a rash lunge at Fredericks. Stam's side still throw everything they had at Fulham, though, with Obita almost levelling the contest when he was left unattended at the back post; his shot was deflected wide. Fredericks was also called upon to make a fine saving tackle when Dominic Samuel bore down on goal, while Button easily gathered a George Evans header from a free-kick.

Fulham quickly utilised their numerical advantage. Aluko capped another excellent performance with a fine solo goal, skipping away from tacklers down the right and sliding a composed finish underneath Al-Habsi and into the far corner. There was some confusion as the assistant referee raised an offside flag believing that Martin had got the final touch, but the goal was eventually given. Not to be outdone, Johansen added a fine goal of his own, too – deftly threading his way past three tacklers before finding the bottom corner with the outside of his left boot.

A fifth arrived in stoppage time when Martin, who might have a hat-trick but for a deflection, hauled him up off the floor after winning a free-kick to fire the set-piece beyond the despairing Al-Habsi and add the second goal that his tireless approach play certainly merited. Consistency has been a problem for the Cottagers so far this season – but such a comprehensive victory showed Jokanovic has more than enough quality at his disposal to aim for a play-off spot.

FULHAM (4-1-2-3): Button; Fredericks, Malone, Kalas, Ream; McDonald; Johansen (Parker 84); Aluko (Piazon 76), Ayite (Kebano 87), Cairney; Martin. Subs (not used): Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Madl, Smith.

BOOKED: Aluko.

GOALS: Gunter (o.g. 15), Martin (49, 90), Aluko (67), Johansen (70).

READING (4-3-3): Al Habsi; Gunter, Obita, McShane, Blackett; van der Berg, D. Williams, Evans; McCleary (Harriot 77), Beerens (Kelly 57), Samuel (Meite 66). Subs (not used): S. Moore, Cooper, Watson, Mendes.

BOOKED: McShane, Obita, van der Berg, Evans.

SENT OFF: D. Williams.

REFEREE: Oliver Langford (West Midlands).

ATTENDANCE: 18,217

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/five-star-fulham-bring-royals-run-to-a-shuddering-halt/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic delighted by Fulham's 'complete afternoon'
by DAN on DECEMBER 3, 2016

Slavisa Jokanovic is a notoriously hard man to please but even he could find little fault with his Fulham side after the Whites demolished promotion rivals Reading 5-0 at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Fulham head coach told his post-match press conference that he 'will try to be satisfied' after watching his side completely dismantle Jaap Stam's men, who began the day sitting third in the Championship table. The hosts took complete control of the contest shortly after a half time when Chris Martin lashed in a majestic second and they nearly looked likely to relinquish their commanding advantage after Danny Williams was dismissed for kicking out at Stefan Johansen.

Jokanovic, who has castigated his defence for making basic errors that have undermined his bid to turn Fulham into genuine promotion contenders, was a much happier man after the final whistle.

I can be very happy with this victory and the performance of the team. I am very satisfied because we offered a great afternoon for our supporters. It was the complete afternoon for us.

We played a very good game, we tried to press them very high. This is one of the teams who has more possession in the Championship. But we moved the ball and didn't give them too much space to think and move without the ball.

We won possession very often and created a lot of chances which led to many goals, and we showed how we can be strong when we believe in ourselves, believe in our style, and this is good news for us.

I'm happy with the progress of my team. We tried to find our identity, our style. We want to dominate teams. We played today with less touches, our passing was with a good pace, and at the end we created many things and scored many goals.

Normally I am never satisfied, but this afternoon I'll try to be satisfied. But we can still do better in the future.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/jokanovic-delighted-by-fulhams-complete-afternoon/

WhiteJC

Fulham 5-0 Reading:  Chris Martin bags brace as 10-man Royals suffer thrashing at Craven Cottage
Jaap Stam's side had won five successive games before Saturday's defeat
Midfielder Danny Williams was sent off for kicking out at Stefan Johansen
Fulham striker Chris Martin struck twice for rampant home side

Ten-man Reading saw their winning run come to a shuddering halt as Fulham cruised to a 5-0 win at Craven Cottage.

Jaap Stam's side had won five successive games, but their promotion push suffered a major setback on Saturday.

An own goal from Chris Gunter helped Fulham on their way and there was no looking back once Chris Martin extended the lead.

Fulham striker Chris Martin celebrates after making it 2-0 at Craven Cottage

Danny Williams was then sent off for Reading and it only got worse as goals from Sone Aluko, Stefan Johansen and Martin again made it an afternoon to forget.

Reading headed to west London as the form team of the second tier, but the build-up had been dominated by off-field events.

A takeover which would see a Chinese brother and sister seize control is reported to be close to completion and Stam revealed he feared for his job if the new owners decide to bring in their own man. This will do him no favours.

Stam has implemented an eye-catching passing game, but he would not have wanted Jordan Obita to gift Fulham a chance in the sixth minute.

Obita's 40-yard free-kick was cut out by Floyd Ayite, who advanced forward before stinging the palms of Reading goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi. It set the tone.

Reading were constantly playing themselves into trouble and Scott Malone's cross-shot again forced Al-Habsi into action as Fulham came charging out of the blocks.

It was no surprise when Fulham took a 15th-minute lead, albeit through Gunter's mistake.

No Fulham player was within yards of Gunter, but he got it all wrong and headed Ryan Fredericks' cross past his own goalkeeper.

Stefan Johansen's classy finish made it 4-0 as the home side ran riot against the Royals

Reading had been uncharacteristically sloppy with and without the ball and the own goal summed up their sluggish start.

David Button in the Fulham goal was a virtual spectator. When Reading did carve out a chance, Roy Beerens delayed his shot and the dominant home side cleared the danger.

Stam would surely have been into his players at half-time, but it not have the desired effect as Fulham extended their lead four minutes after the restart.

Ayite fed Martin and the on-loan striker galloped forward and, as Reading's defence retreated, fired beyond Al-Habsi from 25 yards out.

Martin should have also been celebrating twice more just two minutes later. First he headed Tom Cairney's free-kick over from close range.

Then Ayite's cross found him in space, but he blazed over from 12 yards out.

It went from bad to worse for Reading when Williams saw red for kicking out at Johansen after reacting to the midfielder's late challenge with 54 minutes on the clock.

Fulham were now in control, but in danger of taking their eye off the ball.

Dominic Samuel bore down on goal, but was denied by Fredericks, while an unmarked George Evans headed straight at Button from close-range.

But it was game over when Aluko cut inside to curle home from the angle in the 68th minute. Despite Reading's protests that Martin was offside, the goal rightfully stood.

Reading had gone to pieces and within two minutes Johansen strode forward to pile on the misery with a fine finish with the outside of his left foot.

Martin's late free-kick added the gloss on a nightmare afternoon for Reading.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3997866/Fulham-5-0-Reading-Chris-Martin-bags-brace-10-man-Royals-suffer-thrashing-Craven-Cottage.html#ixzz4RqxjgtQJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

YankeeJim

So whats with this thumb sucking thing after scoring? It has always struck as just plain stupid for a grown man to do such a thing.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.