News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Middlesbrough will make Scotland striker Jordan Rhodes, 26, available for transf

Started by Allestree andy, December 04, 2016, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allestree andy

What do you think of rhodes being martins partner up front, do you thiunk it would work, proven goal scorer in the championship.
To the limit and beyond

cmg

Only 26 and certainly a proven goalscorer but I can't help thinking we may have missed the boat on this one.

His year-by-year production is:
11/12(L1)    35 goals   @ 1/94'
12/13 (Ch)   28               1/141'
13/14 (Ch)   25               1/161'
14/15 (Ch)   21               1/167'
15/16 (Ch)   16               1/209'

Doesn't contribute much other than goals - which is fair enough for a player of his type. Might work well off Martin...but who would he replace?

Championship numbers:
Rhodes        189 games    91 goals    16 assists    164' per goal
McCormack  319              118            57              205'

MJG

Problem we have atm is that Martin is playing every minute of every game. Having Rhodes who is similar in some ways would make both interchangeable in my eyes and keep both fresh. Also if we do want a two man upto option I'm sure they could do it.

Lighthouse

Would think that we need a nippy second forward and not a Rhodes type.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ffc73

If we take Aluko, Ayite, Kebano and Piazon as the nippy wide second forward types with Martin up top then Rhodes over Smith or Woodrow works for me.

bobby01

Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

grandad

He would almost certainly want a near guaranteed start. Don´t think he would come as a bench warmer with an occasional start.
Where there's a will there's a wife

@jolslover

STH H3

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: MJG on December 04, 2016, 06:32:40 PM
Problem we have atm is that Martin is playing every minute of every game. Having Rhodes who is similar in some ways would make both interchangeable in my eyes and keep both fresh. Also if we do want a two man upto option I'm sure they could do it.

Makes sense to me.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

MJG

If we are to continue with one up top then surely to fit in with the system you want someone similar to Martin, and so the calls for a nippy forward change the dynamics of the team when Martin does not play.
As mentioned below the busy bee midfielders with pace are the nippy guys that Joka uses.

Fulham Tup North

I've said it before and I'll say it again..... DEFOE....
That is all :)
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

twang

I don't really see the need for Rhodes as long as we have Martin. Very similar players with the exception that Rhodes is a more natural goalscorer and Martin on the other hand adds more in the general play. And neither of them would accept being second choice. And for the record I'd choose Martin over Rhodes everytime.

I'd rather see us sign a striker that would add something different, preferably more threat in behind, but one that still has the abilities necessary to play as the lone striker. Someone like Assombalonga if the club is willing to spend. Otherwise I like the little I've seen of Omar Bogle. There's been so many strikers from the lower leagues tearing Championship defences apart lately that I think he would be well worth a shot. Even if it's wild card.

cmg

Whenever strikers are discussed Defoe's name crops up.

Have I missed something?
Defoe has a fine PL record and is in excellent form, especially for a 34 year old.
He is playing for a PL club, although, admittedly, a pretty poor one, with whom he is contracted until 2019 and who have handed him the captain's armband in recent games. He has scored 8 of the 14 goals they have amassed this season.
Why would they let him go?
...unless he's developed Lee Clark's taste in t-shirts.

RaySmith

We need a striker of similar ability to Martin to cover for Martin if injured - but should be the same type as Martin, to  fit in the with the current style of play - which seems  very successful and suited to our players.

But would Rhodes want to fill this role. Or maybe interchanging with martin, as MJG suggests , but would either of them be happy wit this?

We've been obsessed by Rhodes here for ages, but would he inevitably disappoint if he actually  arrives? has his time passed? Well, I'll leave the decision to SJ and  whoever decides on these matters.

Slaphead in Qatar

Definately we should go for in for him - if we get him scoring for us we would definately be play off or even auto promotion contenders.

BestOfBrede

Hmm, for me Defoe is a reasonable choice due his unbelievable scoring record where ever he's been, but he is now the wrong side of thirty for me.
As for Rhodes, I've personally never understood this luv'in with him.

Don't ask me who I'd go for as I don't watch many games other than the Super Whites and so have to, and do, trust in Slavisa.

All I will say is, in my view, I think we need a young, quick striker with the way we are playing. If only we had tied down Dembele! Or even better, we find another gem like Louise Saha!!

love4ffc

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 08, 2016, 11:49:35 PM
First and foremost we need a striker that can help get us back in the Premier. If he is young and quick all the better. But in the absence of quality forwards available, we may need to lower our expectations.

Its the great hunt.  Find a younger, still developing yet somewhat proven player that can can guarantee you 15 + goals a year.  Someone who is still young enough to develop with the team once promoted into transitioning to the premier league. 

Seems almost impossible  :023:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

cmg

Quote from: love4ffc on December 09, 2016, 04:18:51 AM

Its the great hunt.  Find a younger, still developing yet somewhat proven player that can can guarantee you 15 + goals a year.  Someone who is still young enough to develop with the team once promoted into transitioning to the premier league. 

Seems almost impossible  :023:

Yes. But you could still compile a reasonable short list based on these criteria.
But you have to add:
Would be willing to come.
Club would be willing to let him go.
Would be within our price range.

...it's then that you have to get Ethan Hunt on the case.