more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (16/12/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 16, 2016, 07:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham birthday boy reveals why it's good Whites are in tenth spot
Togo international turns 28 today - and is happy there is no immediate gift of a Championship play-off spot

Challenge: Floyd Ayite has Dwight Gayle breathing down his neck

Birthday boy Floyd Ayite believes Fulham as dark horses rather than play-off favourites will do the club a power of good.

Tuesday night's win over basement boys Rotherham, 2-1 kept the Cottagers on the heels of the current play-off pack with the midway point of the season approaching.

Their promotion credentials will be further tested by Saturday's visit of in-form Derby.

Togolese international Ayite, who joined the west Londoners from Ligue 1 Bastia in the summer, suggests staying under the radar where there is less pressure until the final push may be the way to go.

The winger said: "You may be right that it is sometimes better to do the chasing rather than be chased.

"At the end of the day we are all professional footballers and it is up to us to manage the pressure really – that is our job whether you are just outside or in the playoff positions.

"But it may be better not to be in the top six yet."

Heads: Newcastle's Daryl Janmaat (L) holds off Floyd Ayite

If Fulham as a whole are better off in the shadows, Ayite who is 28 today, is himself rapidly emerging from them, becoming something of a fans' favourite down at Craven Cottage.

He cranked that popularity up another notch with the winner against the Millers, his third for the club.

It might have been more if some outrageous skill from the French-born star in the first half not been thwarted by the legs of Rotherham keeper Lewis Price.

His own harshest critic, Ayite called it a missed opportunity, one he was happy to atone for later.

"We really pushed in the first half as we wanted to get a foothold in the game very quickly and I feel I slightly missed my chances," he added.

"Fortunately, in the second half I was able to get the important goal."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-birthday-boy-reveals-its-12324462

WhiteJC

Match Day Officials v Fulham (17/12/16)

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game against Fulham this Saturday.

Derby County travel to Fulham on Saturday December 17 for the game at Craven Cottage and the match carries a 3pm kick off.

Referee: Andy Woolmer
Linesmen: Akil Howson and Christopher Akers
Fourth Official: Dean Whitestone

Match Day referee Woolmer has officiated 22 games in 2016/17 with a return of 47 yellow cards and one red card.

His highest card count this season was the Leeds United v Norwich City game where he showed six yellow cards.

He took charge of 37 matches last season and in those games, across all competitions and Football divisions, he handed out a total of 109 yellow cards and two red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Boreham Wood and Northwick in the FA Cup on November 16 with a total of eight yellows shown.

Woolmer was appointed to the Referees List in 2004 and has refereed more than 300 EFL matches. Prior to that, he served as a Premier League assistant referee for three years and ran the line in the 2003 League Cup Final and the FA Community Shield in the same year. He was the referee for last season`s thrilling EFL Trophy Final between Barnsley and Oxford United.

Source - EFL.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of our players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.derby.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=472087#ixzz4Sz0bBoEY

WhiteJC

Ayité: Important Win

Floyd Ayité was pleased with Fulham's powers of recovery at Craven Cottage on Tuesday evening.

The Whites found themselves trailing to Rotherham United after Joe Newell netted from distance, but a goal in either half from Stefan Johansen and Ayité turned the tide.

"It was a game that we were expected to win," the Togo international stated. "At Wolves we dropped two points so we wanted to approach the game very well but we had a small error of concentration early on.

"It was important for us to keep our focus and before the break we got the equaliser and then we stepped it up in the second half and got the goal which won us the game.

"In the first half we really, really pushed because we wanted to get a foothold in the game very, very quickly. I missed some chances but fortunately in the second half I was able to get the important goal."

Ayité's goal was his third in two matches, and he admitted his delight at his current form in what he says is a very strong Fulham team.

"I came here to experience great feelings like this and to share that joy and the pleasure of playing in these games with our supporters," he explained. "I'm so happy that they make me feel really warmly welcomed here, and I'm equally happy that I'm able to give them something back.

"I think we're one of the best sides for playing very good football and I think we'll have a very good chance of reaching the top-six positions if we continue to work hard, score lots of goals, and maybe tighten up at the back."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/15/floyd-ayite-important-win

WhiteJC

Fulham forward targets promotion

Fulham's Floyd Ayite was delighted with the spirit his side showed to fight back against Rotherham and has targeted the top six.

Joe Newell gave Rotherham a lead at Craven Cottage on Tuesday but goals from Stefan Johansen and Ayite saw Fulham take all three points against the Championship's bottom club.

Ayite was pleased with the Cottagers' response to going behind and hopes they can make a push for the play-off places, with the west London outfit currently 10th and three points adrift of Leeds United in sixth spot.

"It was important for us to keep our focus and before the break we got the equaliser and then we stepped it up in the second half and got the goal which won us the game," he told the club's official website.

"In the first half we really, really pushed because we wanted to get a foothold in the game very, very quickly. I missed some chances but fortunately in the second half I was able to get the important goal."

He added: "I think we're one of the best sides for playing very good football and I think we'll have a very good chance of reaching the top-six positions if we continue to work hard, score lots of goals, and maybe tighten up at the back."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/fulham-forward-targets-promotion-1834149.html

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Fulham eye Hajduk Split midfielder
FULHAM are interested in Hajduk Split starlet Nicholas Llanos.

Fulham are interested in Hajduk Split midfielder Nicholas Llanos

The 20-year-old midfielder has failed to break into the Croatian club's first team and could be on the move.

Starsport have been told that Llanos' agent has received a tentative enquiry from a Whites official.

If Llanos were to join Fulham then he would, more than likely, link up with the club's development team.

First-team boss Slavisa Jokanovic has a host of central midfielders in his squad including Scott Parker, Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen.

Jokanovic revealed earlier this month that he is starting to think about the January transfer window.

Slavisa Jokanovic has a host of midfielders in his first-team squad

"We pretend it's in the shadow and are focused on what's immediately in front of us," he said. "The important thing is the next game.

"When we get to the transfer window, we'll be ready if we believe we need to protect or improve ourselves."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/570586/Fulham-Transfer-News-Hajduk-Split-Gossip

WhiteJC

Derby Tickets

Fulham take on Derby County this weekend at Craven Cottage (Saturday 17th December, 3pm) and you can be there to watch all of the action!

Join us on Saturday as Father Christmas himself pays a visit to SW6, as he joins Billy the Badger ahead of kick-off. We'll have a host of activities available for fans to enjoy, with giveaways at half-time!

Tickets for the match start from £25 for adults and £15 for juniors and available to purchase online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on 0843 208 1234 (opt.2) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Alternatively, supporters can kick-off Christmas in style with a place in The Clubhouse, Fulham's new gin bar. Enjoy sushi and sliders as well as signature gin cocktails prior to kick-off, and balcony seats to watch all the action unfold. Priced at £179 per person (+VAT), this package is available by calling 0208 336 7555 (9am-5:30pm), or by emailing [email protected].

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/15/derby-tickets

WhiteJC

Johansen In Team Of The Week (15/12/16)

Fulham are represented in the latest Football League team of the week that has been selected after this midweek's action.

The performance by Stefan Johansen in the two one victory over Rotherham United in midweek at Craven Cottage was enough to earn them a place in the side alongside the other most impressive performers in the Football League pyramid.

I think we'll already know ourselves, and not just based on the latest performance, why Johansen was selected as part of the team but explaining the choice - the FL blurb read.

'Johansen was at his creative best yet again, as Fulham recorded a 2-1 win against Sky Bet Championship basement side Rotherham United. The Norwegian controlled proceedings, and also netted a very tidy goal in the triumph.'

It's always good to see the club represented in this way, and well played to Johansen for his recognition, but the most important thing about the weekend was of course the win.

Full Team:

Daniel Bentley (Brentford), Charlie Taylor (Leeds United), Martin Cranie (Huddersfield Town), Alex Pearce (Derby County), Bruno Manga (Cardiff City), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City), Stefan Johansen (Fulham), Sam Hutchinson (Sheffield Wednesday), Mohamed Diame (Newcastle United), Graham Dorrans (Norwich City), Gary Madine (Bolton Wanderers).

Manager - Chris Hughton (Brighton).

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=472168#ixzz4Sz3JnMb3

WhiteJC

No new worries for Fulham

Fulham have no fresh injury concerns as they look to continue their decent run of Sky Bet Championship form at home to Derby.
Slavisa Jokanovic's side have lost just once in their last seven games and beat Rotherham 2-1 on Tuesday night to move into the top 10.
Given the build-up in fixtures around the festive period, Jokanovic could be tempted to rotate his squad for the visit of the Rams.
Veteran Scott Parker is pushing for his first start since October while the likes of Lucas Piazon and Denis Odoi will be eyeing a place in the starting XI.
Derby will check on Johnny Russell after the Scottish forward sat out Wednesday night's 1-0 victory over QPR due to a hip problem.
Russell was an unused substitute at Loftus Road with Rams boss Steve McClaren reluctant to risk him during the game.
Will Hughes will continue to play through the pain barrier after he broke a bone in his left hand in training last week. The central midfielder has played the last two games against Nottingham Forest and QPR wearing a protective cast.
Forward Ikechi Anya (knee) and left-back Max Lowe (hip/groin) will again be absent at Craven Cottage. Anya has not featured in the last six matches and has not started a first-team game since the goalless draw against Brentford on October 18 while Lowe has missed the last three games.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/preview?gameId=452955

WhiteJC

Chris Martin: Steve McClaren surprised by Derby striker's Fulham loan

Chris Martin (left) joined Derby County in 2013 after a loan spell

Derby County manager Steve McClaren is surprised that Chris Martin was allowed to join Fulham on a season-long loan.

The striker scored 43 goals in less than two seasons during McClaren's first spell in charge of the Rams.

But under Nigel Pearson the 28-year-old failed to earn a regular place and joined Fulham in August, where he has scored six goals in 16 games.

When asked if he felt letting Martin go was strange, McClaren told BBC Radio Derby he "thought it was at the time".

The former England boss added: "I wasn't the manager and managers have to make decisions."

The terms of the loan mean Scotland international Martin, who has a Derby contract until the summer of 2018, cannot feature against the Rams when the teams meet on Saturday.

"He doesn't play - thank goodness," McClaren said. "He is a goalscorer. I have the highest regard for Chris as everybody knows.

"He's doing a good job for Fulham and they are very pleased with him - I know that. We are just monitoring the situation to see what happens."

Derby are fifth in the Championship table, three points ahead of Fulham, who are in 10th place prior to Saturday's match at Craven Cottage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38331643

WhiteJC

Floyd Ayité: Keep Focus
Fulham's match winner gives his insight to The Whites 2-1 home victory against Rotherham United.

Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

In a game which Fulham hoped to comfortably won, left a sour taste of of inconsistency in the mouths of the fans, as the side fell behind from speculative effort by Joe Newell of Rotherham United.

However goals from Fulham's men of the moment, Stefan Johansen and Floyd Ayité, saw The Cottagers battle out a well thought home victory on Tuesday night.

"It was a game that we were expected to win", stated the match winner in an interview with the club's official website.

"At Wolves we dropped two points so we wanted to approach the game very well but we had a small error of concentration early on".

"It was important for us to keep our focus and before the break we got the equaliser and then we stepped it up in the second half and got the goal which won us the game".

The Togolese international managed to continue his goal scoring run, after netting his first goals for the club at the weekend.

Ayité continued to explain his delight at his current form in what he described as formidable Fulham squad.

"I came here to experience great feelings like this and to share that joy and the pleasure of playing in these games with our supporters," he said.

"I'm so happy that they make me feel really warmly welcomed here, and I'm equally happy that I'm able to give them something back".

"I think we're one of the best sides for playing very good football and I think we'll have a very good chance of reaching the top-six positions if we continue to work hard, score lots of goals, and maybe tighten up at the back."

The victory saw Fulham remain in 10th position, if the club are set to achieve their ambitions of a return to the Premier League are to be achieved, The Whites will need to find consistency in distributing

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2016/12/15/13971730/floyd-ayite-keep-focus

WhiteJC

Former Birmingham striker Geoff Horsfield opens up on his new venture ... and why he gets more kicks now than when he scored against Villa
Former striker Geoff Horsfield scored in each of England's top five divisions
Horsfield is best remembered for his goals for Birmingham against Aston Villa
He is now working to help vulnerable adults who have gone through difficulty
Seven months ago the 43-year-old founded the Geoff Horsfield Foundation
He admits the job satisfaction now outweighs the pleasure he got from playing

Geoff Horsfield is wearing scruffs, driving his van around Birmingham and, just as he did in his playing days, getting straight to the point.

From no-nonsense centre forward he now earns a living as maintenance man to homes housing dozens of residents from difficult backgrounds.

There are vulnerable adults, former homeless people and some with mental health issues, but Horsfield will be on call to unblock toilets or change lightbulbs, while always taking time for a cuppa and a chat.

Former Birmingham and West Brom striker Geoff Horsfield now helps vulnerable adults

He says he gets more enjoyment from what he does now than when he was scoring goals

One of his famous moments came when he scored for West Brom against Portsmouth in 2005

It is not a typical post-playing career, but Horsfield, 43, a bricklayer before he cracked professional football, is in his element.

'I did all my coaching under Micky Adams at Port Vale and became assistant manager but I fell out of love with it,' he explains.

'The aggression — that side I was known for — has come out of the game. I had a lot of contacts around the Sutton Coldfield area and started doing maintenance for them. Then a friend put me in touch with Kathy McIlroy as she needed work doing in one of these houses where people had mental health issues.

'Her husband is a big Blues fan, and he said after two days, 'No chance will he finish the week, an ex-footballer going into a house that's so chaotic, with alcohol and drug misuse'. But I absolutely love the job.

Horsfield was a bricklayer before he became a professional footballer and he is in a trade again

But this time he is working as a maintenance man doing what he can to help people in need

He says he is happy because he is making a positive impact on the lives of others

'I feel as I did three years ago. The job satisfaction — seeing these people happy — is tenfold to scoring at Villa Park. This can change their lives.'

Horsfield and McIlroy are now business partners, looking after 19 properties of between five and seven rooms in the Erdington area, owning some, renting or managing others.

As well as providing housing for people unable to live by themselves they also offer support, formal and informal, which is where the man who has a cult reputation at Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion comes in.

Horsfield scored in two derby wins for Birmingham over Aston Villa and also on the final day of West Brom's 2004-05 'great escape' season which kept them in the Premier League, but now he is happy to go along with jokes at his expense

'They'll say, "You can't have played football, you're too fat". I say, "All right, leave it alone!" I like a laugh with the residents because sometimes they are really down. They have had s*** cards dealt to them and life is hard. I try to bring a bit of enjoyment.'

We are inside his company's latest property in need of attention. The floorboards are bare but Horsfield, in his plain-speaking Yorkshire accent, insists his team will get it to the smartly finished spec of their others in three weeks.

'Sometimes if we see someone on the streets we'll ask if they need somewhere to stop,' Horsfield adds. 'But a lot don't want the board, believe it or not. No rules, no bills is all they know.'

He became a cult hero at Birmingham City where he scored 23 goals in 108 games

He was loved at Birmingham, particularly for scoring goals against rivals Aston Villa

Horsfield was a no-nonsense striker who never skipped a beat and would always work hard

Those who do sign up use government housing benefits but Horsfield does not want them trapped in a cycle of dependence and tries to help them find jobs and their own accommodation.

That is why, seven months ago, he formed the Geoff Horsfield Foundation and is aiming to raise funds for courses and days out to aid wellbeing. He hosted a charity comedy night with Brummie comic Joe Lycett performing for free, and is organising a celebrity poker night with former Blues midfielder Paul Devlin and Troy Deeney, the Birmingham-born Watford striker, having agreed to take part.

'Housing benefit can be stopped if some go on courses, so it becomes a revolving door,' says Horsfield. 'They can get in a bubble of depression. I'd like to take them to Blackpool or help out with a football course or cooking class. They are isolated. The Foundation is to try to break the cycle so they're not stuck here for the next 10 years.

But it was on May 15, 2005 when Horsfield's strike helped to keep West Brom in the top flight

Horsfield opened the scoring against Portsmouth after 58 minutes at The Hawthorns

The Baggies finished one point above the Premier League relegation places and survived

'We help them get job interviews, and work towards having a "normal" life, where they earn their own money and get their own place.'

Horsfield is tremendous company, shirking no questions, and the warmth he shows to the residents is clearly not put on. His Barnsley upbringing can explain much of this, as does his brush with cancer in 2008, when he had a testicle removed.

'I've looked at life a lot different to when I was 36 and had cancer,' he says. 'I was lucky. I got it early and I didn't have to have any radio or chemo. I am all clear.'

Horsfield is used to fronting up. 'When I played for Halifax in the Conference, no matter if I'd been sent off or scored a hat-trick, I always went in the bar with the fans because I'd want their opinion. I did that at Fulham too — and at Blues, in the Trevor Francis suite.

The former footballer set up The Geoff Horsfield Foundation just seven months ago

He wants to make life easier for those, for example, who have suffered from depression

The former striker's approach to life now is refreshing and he has already helped others

'I think that bond between the players and fans has gone now.'

Many of Horsfield's most memorable moments were followed by a celebratory session, especially after the final day of the 2004-05 season when he scored one and set up the other as Albion beat Portsmouth to escape relegation.

'That was a brilliant day,' he says. 'At Christmas we were dead and buried. Bryan Robson took us to America for nearly a week of bonding; not a lot of training and we had a really good time. A lot of players aren't brave enough to say things in the changing room, but when you've had a few drinks it all comes out.

'It helps. Look at Leicester going to Copenhagen last Christmas. We went to Universal Studios in Orlando and on all the rides.' His favourite might not surprise. 'The Hulk,' he chuckles.

This Christmas his youngest daughter will wear green to spread a little cheer. 'A girl in the office and my seven-year-old will get dressed up as elves and I'll be Santa Claus,' he says.

'We go round all the houses and hand out little presents. Gloves, a scarf and chocolates. I've got the glasses, the beard, everything. I look an absolute idiot — but it makes the residents smile.'

GEOFF HORSFIELD CV
1992-1994: Scarborough (one goal)
1994: Halifax
1994-96: Guiseley (N/A)
1996: Witton Albion (N/A)
1996-98: Halifax (46 goals)
1998-2000: Fulham (22 goals)
2000-2003: Birmingham  (23 goals)
2003: Wigan Athletic (seven goals)
2003-2006: West Brom (14 goals)
2006: Sheffield United (loan) (0 goals)
2006-2008: Sheffield United (0 goals)
2006-2007: Leeds United (loan) (two goals)
2007: Leicester City (loan) (two goals)
2008: Scunthorpe United (loan) (0 goals)
2009: Lincoln City (one goal)
2009-2010: Port Vale (0 goals)
2013: Alvechurch (N/A)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4038576/Former-Birmingham-striker-Geoff-Horsfield-opens-new-venture-gets-kicks-scored-against-Villa.html#ixzz4Sz7NrXsU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Ayite happy for Fulham to float under the radar
by DAN on DECEMBER 16, 2016

Floyd Ayite feels Fulham might benefit from sitting in mid-table at this stage of the season as they can float under the radar whilst building the momentum for a promotion push.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side go into Saturday's clash with Derby County in tenth place with the Championship's top section very congested after a full programme of matches in midweek. Ayite's goals have helped the Whites pick up four points in their last two games and he believes that being below the top six could count in Fulham's favour at the moment.

Speaking to GetWestLondon after his third Fulham goal clinched a tense victory over bottom of the table Rotherham United, the Togolese international said:

You may be right that it is sometimes better to do the chasing rather than be chased. At the end of the day we are all professional footballers and it is up to us to manage the pressure really – that is our job whether you are just outside or in the playoff positions.

The winger felt he should have scored just before half time when a sensational piece of skill took him away from a Millers defender, but Lewis Prize blocked his shot.

We really pushed in the first half as we wanted to get a foothold in the game very quickly and I feel I slightly missed my chances. Fortunately, in the second half I was able to get the important goal.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/ayite-happy-for-fulham-to-float-under-the-radar/

WhiteJC

Fulham eye up Hajduk Split midfielder
by DAN on DECEMBER 16, 2016

Fulham have made an initial inquiry about the availability of Hajduk Split midfielder Nicholas Llanos, according to a report in the Daily Star.

The 20 year-old central midfielder has struggled to feature for Hajduk's first team this season and could be tempted by a move away from the club. The former Croatian Under-17 side international has been the subject of a tentative approach from Fulham to the Bili and comes with some reputation having starred in junior football.

Jokanovic certainly isn't short of midfield options having bought in a number of new signings over the summer including Stefan Johansen, Kevin McDonald and Jozabed. It remains to be seen if Fulham will table an official officer for Llanos.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/fulham-eye-up-hajduk-split-midfielder/