watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Playoffs are just so ellusive

Started by ChesterTheTabby, December 17, 2016, 05:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Please do not take this post/rant as a negative or demeaning one, however, we continue to throw 2 points away. In recent memory the Wolves game and the Derby match today total 4 points that we just threw away. If you had asked me before the game if I would have been okay with a point against Derby I would have said yes, but we simply gifted them that second goal. We were by far the better team today and deserved the 3 points. 4 points off of 6th place and 5 points off of 5th.

We are at the half way point in the season now, and I am so incredibly proud of our club and the lads for having such a resurgent year. Going from 17th and 20th place finishes to being seated 9th and within reach of the playoffs. If we can go into the second half of the season with the confidence, skill, and unity that we've shown since November and onwards, I think we will be one of the most dominant teams in the league. If we can get our defensive frailties figured out and continue with our prolific goal scoring, we will be in the playoffs.

I still think we will sneak into 6th come last game of the season.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Lighthouse

Having lost both centre halves and played the entire second half with a make shift defence. I think not losing to a team that have won their last seven matches and are on a great run is something we can take as a positive. Without a proper centre forward as well.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

grandad

I said in another thread that I would coach Smith to become a central defender. We have seen how useful he is at defending set pieces & clearing corners. He would also be useful at the other end at corners etc. He does not look as if he will play as a striker. Roy Bentley & John Charles made the change at the highest level.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 17, 2016, 05:10:52 PM
Having lost both centre halves and played the entire second half with a make shift defence. I think not losing to a team that have won their last seven matches and are on a great run is something we can take as a positive. Without a proper centre forward as well.

Absolutely agree - the only really upsetting for me was how lackluster we were when we gave up that second goal. Not a single player challenged for the ball as the Derby player turned Boeing 747 flew threw and fired home.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

NJFulham

Quote from: maoconnor on December 17, 2016, 05:14:47 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on December 17, 2016, 05:10:52 PM

this is why madl is 3rd choice.

Absolutely agree - the only really upsetting for me was how lackluster we were when we gave up that second goal. Not a single player challenged for the ball as the Derby player turned Boeing 747 flew threw and fired home.

alfie

I am not going to have a go at any player, because that was a bloody good game of football, ok we did not win and that is disappointing but hey ho, that's the game both teams played some good stuff.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Carborundum

Quote from: alfie on December 17, 2016, 05:32:20 PM
I am not going to have a go at any player, because that was a bloody good game of football, ok we did not win and that is disappointing but hey ho, that's the game both teams played some good stuff.

Well said

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 17, 2016, 05:39:57 PM
Half way through the season, The club should know what it takes by now to achieve a play off place, and should back the manager if he requires new targets providing they are the right targets, certain injuries may force their hand. But we have an opportunity to strengthen in the window if the right players become available. Otherwise as we have had too many draws already, it may be a bridge too far. 

Fraid so, up to 9th (good) but 4 pts off 6th (bad). As you say too many draws when wins are needed, usually due to a moment of sloppy defending or bang average goalkeeping.

F(f)CUK

Just watched the last goal and assume that our lack of central defenders must have contributed to it. Was that Ayite not marking the scorer?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: alfie on December 17, 2016, 05:32:20 PM

Correct.

filham

We played well but at the end of the day we are further away from the top six than we were this morning, to get into the top six we really have to have a run of wins. Attractive as we looked today we are not the solid unit needed to make a promotion bid, we are still not good enough at scoring goals and defensive errors are creeping back into our play.

However the team is improving and hopefully Jocanoviccan get thing working better soon.

dannyboi-ffc

I think you have a very good case for feeling this way with the last minute equaliser from Leeds and the way we threw it away at Wolves. Those games have really cost us. But I disagree about today. They'd gone 7 games in a row winning and we played the whole second half with 1 backup centre half who hasn't played much football in weeks.

Today was a well earned point. We just need to make sure we kill the game off against Ipswich and don't allow the same to happen again.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Jonaldiniho 88

Unfortunately I feel that will play football that deserves a top four finish but the rub of the green and a few errors will cost us a playoff place. We are easily good enough to be top two. I think Brighton aren't as good as us but results that we deserve have slipped through our grasps and they have picked up points in those games. I hope we can get into the playoffs as I genuinely believe we are in the top three or four of this league. If we don't I hope we keep our players, get a premier league keeper (no slight on button or betts) and own the league next year. I think we need another striker with pace but we can't expect a top player if they know we only play one up top.