more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (19/12/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 19, 2016, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Pearce: 'We Stood Up To Fulham's Heavy Pressure'

Goalscorer Alex Pearce says Derby County's determination to not 'cave in' under heavy Fulham pressure was on full display as they battled to a hard earned 2-2 draw in the Capital.

Tom Ince opened the scoring with his seventh goal in as many games for the Rams, but the Cottagers turned the game on its head with a goal apiece from Floyd Ayité and Stefan Johansen to lead after the hour mark.

They were the first goals that Steve McClaren's side had conceded in six outings and after holding firm, Pearce scored his second goal of the season – heading in Ince's corner – to claim a share of the spoils in SW6.

The draw brought to an end Derby's seven-game winning streak, but also saw them extend their unbeaten run going into Christmas to eight matches.

Assessing the game, Pearce, the 28-year-old Republic of Ireland international, felt the point will prove to be a valuable in the long run, considering the Rams took it from a side which he rates as the best the Rams have faced this campaign.

He told RamsTV: "I think it's a good point for us. They are a very, very, good team – probably the best that we have faced this season in my opinion – and they put us under a lot of pressure and passed the ball really well.

"I thought we defended really well as a team and the result shows the character that is in the squad and it moves us to eight games unbeaten now.

"It's been a tough three-game week. Those sorts of weeks always are in the Championship, there's been a lot of travelling involved as well and that makes it difficult. It was heavy on the legs and heavy on the bodies, but I felt we stood up to that well and I'll take seven points from that."

On Derby's defensive showing and scoring his goal in front of the 3,000+ travelling contingent, Pearce added: "Good teams don't cave in. We stayed in the game and the message across the whole team was to make sure that was the case.

"When you have got players like Darren Bent, you know you are going to get a chance. Thankfully, we got one.

"It was an great ball from Incey (Tom Ince) and I was there to just nod it in. It was a great feeling to get the point in the end because it was a very tough game.

"It was an enjoyable moment. They don't come around too often for me, but when they do I make sure that I enjoy it."

The trip to Craven Cottage represented Derby's final Sky Bet Championship before Christmas.

McClaren's men now have a 10 day gap, before they return to action with back-to-back home games against Birmingham City (27 December) and Wigan Athletic (31 December).

Looking ahead, Pearce has only got one thought of what the Rams should be looking to achieve in their next two fixtures.

He added: "If you had asked before the game if we had taken a point I think we would have done – certainly against a top side like Fulham.

"We have got a bit of break now – 10 days before we next play – and we have to use that to our advantage by resting up and recovering for two big home games coming up. We will be looking to take maximum points from them."

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/pearce-we-stood-up-to-fulhams-heavy-pressure-3474867.aspx#REF7z24GC13EIsUq.99

WhiteJC

Pearce pinches a point for Derby
by DAN on DECEMBER 17, 2016

There's a way to view this point as an encouraging one for Fulham. Derby, the form side in the division, had won their last seven matches, not conceded for six games, returned to west London full of confidence after snatching a late victory at QPR and were flying up the table under Steve McClaren. Despite conceding the opening goal, Fulham showed plenty of resilience to overturn the deficit and played some excellent football during the second half, putting the Rams under pressure. But, leaving Craven Cottage, the palpable feeling was that this represented a missed opportunity, with Alex Pearce's header fifteen minutes from time reminding Slavisa Jokanovic's side just how unforgiving the Championship can be.

Fulham's cause wasn't helped by an untimely injury to their most impressive centre back. Tomas Kalas, so imperious since moving along the King's Road on loan, could be sidelined for more than two weeks with a hamstring strain and his partner in the first half, Ragnar Sigurdsson, was withdrawn at the break. The Icelandic international made a horrific mistake for Derby's opening goal, mistiming his slide to intercept Johnny Russell's through ball, allowing Tom Ince to race clear and slip a low finish past David Button. Fulham finished the match with Kevin McDonald as a makeshift centre back, which might have contributed to the defensive disorganisation that afforded Pearce a free header at the near post from a corner.

For much of the contest, a neutral observer might have thought the home side were the Championship's form team. Fulham began with pace and purpose and Lucas Piazon, deployed puzzlingly on the left wing when his physical presence might have made him a more natural replacement for the missing Chris Martin, slammed a powerful shot straight into Pearce after a flowing more. Tom Cairney, who was quieter than in recent weeks at the heart of the Fulham midfield, sent two ambitious efforts over the bar from distance before the Rams began to grow into the game.

The returning Chris Baird, who had a solid afternoon at right back, almost picked out Johnny Russell with a dangerous cross before Ince slashed at a shot and send it wide. Fulham's reprieve was merely temporary as the former Hull and Blackpool winger scored his seventh goal in as many games by clinically capitalising on Sigurdsson's awful error. The goal only seemed to galvanise Fulham with Ryan Fredericks proving a potent threat down their right side. The full-back drove a shot straight at Scott Carson and sent a low cross scuttling across the face of goal before, in the first minute of stoppage time, he surged into the penalty area and threaded a cross into six yard box so inviting that Floyd Ayite had the simplest of tasks to convert from close range.

The home side began the second half on the front foot as well. Sone Aluko, whose pace and power might have posed more a problem to Baird in the wide left position, swerved an effort fractionally wide of the far post and Madl might have done better than to divert Stefan Johansen's dangerous corner wide of goal. The Norwegian took things into his own hands just after the hour mark, stroking him his fourth goal in four matches after excellent approach play from Aluko, although Carson was left hapless by a deflection off Richard Keogh.

Derby upped the tempo in search of an equaliser as McClaren introduced former Fulham forward Darren Bent from the bench with Button, who had earlier almost single-handedly restored the Rams' lead when he tried to feint his away around a Derby attacker and nearly sent the ball ricocheting into his own net, making a strong save to deny Russell at his near post. But the goalkeeper was at fault when the visitors did restore parity, failing to come and collect Ince's inswinging corner – allowing the unmarked Pearce to power home a header at the near post.

Fulham had chances to regain the lead when Aluko drilled a shot too close to Carson after fine work from Scott Malone down the Fulham left and Lucas Piazon rattled the Hammersmith End crossbar with a venomous free-kick. There were a couple of encouraging touches for teenager Stevie Humphreys, who made his senior debut with an eye-catching cameo, but Derby could – and perhaps should – have clinched the points when Bradley Johnson appeared to go clean through despite being held back by Madl. Referee Andy Woolmer opted to stop the game and caution the Austrian and an intriguing contest ended all square.

FULHAM (4-1-2-3): Button; Fredericks, Malone, Kalas (Madl 31), Sigurdsson (Parker 45); McDonald; Cairney, Johansen; Ayite, Piazon, Aluko (Humphreys 86). Subs (not used): Bettinelli, Odoi, Kebano, Smith.

BOOKED: Fredericks, Johansen, Madl.

DERBY COUNTY (4-2-3-1): Carson; Baird, Olsson, Pearce, Keogh; Butterfield, Johnson, Bryson; Ince (Weiman 90), Russell (Camara 65), Vydra (Bent 65). Subs (not used): Mitchell, Shackell, Hanson, Hughes.

BOOKED: Bryson.

REFEREE: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire).

ATTENDANCE: 18,748

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/pearce-pinches-a-point-for-derby/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic laments Fulham's defensive mistakes
by DAN on DECEMBER 17, 2016

Slavisa Jokanovic was left ruing two defensive mistakes which left saw Fulham drop two points against in-form Derby County at Craven Cottage this afternoon.

The Serbian coach was happy with the way his side took the game to the Championship's form team, but lamented the basic defensive lapses that cost them the chance to climb closer to the play-off positions. A horrible error from Ragnar Sigurdsson handed Tom Ince his seventh goal in as many matches and Alex Pearce buried a free header after Fulham had rallied impressively to lead.

Jokanovic told his post-match press conference:

I cannot be completely satisfied. My team offered many interesting things but we paid a very expensive price after some mistakes. They didn't put us under stress, and scored two goals so easily. We played all the football, we were the dominant team, we created many chances and scored two goals, but it wasn't enough to win this game.

It's not the first time, and we need to think about this problem and try and improve ourselves and be more solid and more competitive. So many times we [have] paid an expensive price. We have to be stronger.

Fulham opted to play Sone Aluko as a makeshift forward in the absence of the ineligible Chris Martin and Jokanovic was encouraged by the way they penned Derby back for long periods.

We went with Floyd Ayité and Sone Aluko in this area. Floyd scored the goal, we created many, many chances and we offered the better football.

My side must be clinical after their mistakes, and this was the situation that we found today in the game. But from another side, I can be satisfied. In my opinion we played very good football. When we start being more solid and cut out these mistakes, we are going to be higher in the table, and we're going to be more competitive.

Jokanovic also revealed that Tomas Kalas will miss the remainder of the calendar year after injuring his hamstring during the first half.

It's a hamstring and at this moment I don't know exactly what happened with him. Guaranteed it will be two weeks he'll be out of the squad, but I don't have more information than that at the moment.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/jokanovic-laments-fulhams-defensive-mistakes/

WhiteJC

Will Slavisa press the panic Button?
by DAN on DECEMBER 18, 2016

When David Button completed his summer switch from local rivals Brentford, the rationale for bringing him in was clear. Slavisa Jokanovic wanted an experienced goalkeeper who had a track record of success in the Championship, someone who was comfortable with the ball at his feet and who could instill confidence in his defence. Button, one of the key fixtures in the Bees' eye-catching rise under Mark Warburton, fitted the bill and also appeared to be good value for money as a pre-season acquisition.

After he had established as Fulham's new number one, it seemed a little harsh on Marcus Bettinelli, an academy graduate, who had signed a new deal instead of joining Chelsea the season before, and whose potential had earned him an England under-21 call-up. Now, with Button almost out of reserves of confidence after a shaky few weeks and arguably responsible for at least five of the last six goals the Whites have conceded, it looks as though Bettinelli would be the safer option in goal to shore up the defence as we enter a crucial run of fixtures. Whether Jokanovic, who will certainly be eyeing up potential replacements – the Czech Republic international Tomas Koubek watched the game from the Cottage balcony yesterday – during the summer transfer window, will have lost enough faith in Button's current frame of mind to make the switch for Boxing Day's trip to Portman Road, is an intriguing question.

Button, who made a series of excellent saves as Fulham began the campaign in such fine fettle, is now jittery and those nerves are being passed onto his back four. The signs of a little bit of overconfidence in his ability to play out from the back were there when Fulham played themselves into trouble against Birmingham twice – and the second time saw Michael Madl forced into a reckless challenge in the box that proved fatal. Then, there was the disastrous clearance at Villa Park that cost the Whites so heavily, and you could make the cause for Button being responsible for at least three of goals conceded on that crazy afternoon at Molinuex.

He should have kept out Kortney Hause's downward header at the far post, failing to get his body behind it having got himself in position, and then failed to assert himself as Matt Doherty bundled the Wolves second that triggered their second half comeback. Button was far from convincing in allowing Ivan Caveleiro's equaliser through his hands, but his most glaring mistake saw him spill Tim Ream's back header, into the path of Nouha Dicko and only be reprieved by the Frenchman's pathetic finish that could have put the home side two goals to the good. There was even an argument that Grant Ward's long-range effort that put Rotherham ahead in the week had seen the goalkeeper catch a case of Andy Lonergan-itis, i.e. a fallibility to potshots from beyond 20 yards.

But the true measure of how dangerously low Button's confidence has dipped came in yesterday's draw with high-flying Derby. The visitors' opening goal was caused by Ragnar Sigurdsson's disastrous decision to go ground in trying to clear Johnny Russell's attempted through ball, but once Tom Ince was baring down on goal, Button was far too static in trying to narrow the angle. His second half performance spread anxiety right throughout the stadium. First, there was the decision to try and drag the ball away from the onrushing Ince, that almost saw him put through his own net, as the ball bounced off his trailing like. And, then, after failing to set up his defence correctly as Ince prepared to swing in a corner, he stayed rooted to his line before Alex Pearce powered in a free header from six yards to bring Derby back into the contest.

The sight of Tom Cairney bellowing at his keeper after the concession of goal showed that his team-mates felt it was a soft one to concede and suggests that there might be widespread weariness setting in about the custodian. Bettinelli might not be the long-term solution as a much younger man he has time on his side to develop into a better goalkeeper and, having been jettisoned after a tough season behind a woeful defence, he probably deserves the chance to perform in front of this revamped back four. In an unforgiving league like the Championship, where the margins between success and failure are so small and every mistake could be punished, Fulham can't afford to allow the opposition to score from their only two shots on target – as Derby did yesterday and the defence may benefit from having a more vocal organiser behind them.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/will-slavisa-press-the-panic-button/

WhiteJC

We dominated and played all the football against Derby County, says Fulham boss

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic felt his side dominated the game against Derby County and "played all the football".

The two teams played out a 2-2 draw in Saturday's Sky Bet Championship encounter at Craven Cottage.

Tom Ince put the Rams ahead before Floyd Ayite levelled on the stroke of half-time.

Stefan Johansen's deflected effort gave Fulham the lead just after the hour but Alex Pearce's 75th-minute header earned Steve McClaren's men a share of the spoils.

Jokanovic was not happy with Fulham's defending but felt his team had the better of the match.

Slavisa Jokanovic

"I cannot be completely satisfied," he said. "We paid a heavy price for making a mistake. We played all the football, dominated the game and created chances.

"But it wasn't enough to win the game and this isn't the first time it's happened.

"We must work to improve ourselves and make ourselves more solid and competitive.

"They scored twice after our mistakes and in this competition that's not acceptable."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/we-dominated-and-played-all-the-football-against-derby-county-says-fulham-boss/story-29990988-detail/story.html#zI6eOYrtAc1AUwpG.99

WhiteJC

Johansen 'disappointed with Derby draw'

Stefan Johansen says Fulham have to root out the 'little mistakes' that are undermining their promotion push after the Whites squandered a late lead to draw against in-form Derby County yesterday.

The Norwegian midfielder felt the Rams' equaliser – a free header by centre back Alex Pearce from a corner – was a 'cheap' goal to concede and Johansen's comments echoed that of his head coach after the frustrating draw. Speaking after the game, Johansen told FulhamTV:

We conceded again in a cheap set play. We did well to fight [our way] back in the game, but it was a bit disappointing that we didn't get the three points in the end. All credit to Derby. There are an experienced team and they know how to get the results. I think we did well in part of the game but the most important thing is that we can't concede easy goals and that's something we need to work on.

The former Celtic midfielder was also dismayed that Fulham failed to make the most of their dominant passages of play or the fact that they enjoyed 80% of possession against the division's in-form side.

I felt like – I've said it before – that we didn't kill the game and then you know, obviously, this league is tight so we just need to be better at that and keep going. I think we play some really good football and we just need to keep going and be confident. In the end, the three points will come.

Johansen modestly played down his fine run of goalscoring form – the goal that put Fulham in front was his fourth in as many matches – and preferred to redirect the focus onto his team-mates and the overall result.

I just try to work hard for the team and if I can put some goals in and assists I'm happy for that but, as long as we don't win, I'm not too happy.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/johansen-disappointed-with-derby-draw/

WhiteJC

What I.Saw: You Just Can't Hate Fulham!

There's only one "F" in Fulham. So went the title of the fanzine. Which rumour has it is still going, if not strong, then well, still "going" at least.

And that is some achievement even if we couldn't find a copy outside Craven Cottage yesterday.

There's only one F in Fulham, except there's not. There's many "F's" currently in Fulham. When looking for them you could start with the Food, the exceptional Putney Pies, the best Football Fare in England, narrowly beaten by the Legendary Killie Pie which takes the best in Britain award (in my eyes anyway).

On the pitch, there's Flair, Fulham play fantastic football, the sort you would gladly pay money to watch, Fast, Furious and with skill.

There's Fight, going a goal down coming back to take a 2-1 lead before being pegged back by an Alex Pearce headed goal from a corner.

And there's the Fans too. Where else would you have home and away fans mixing on the concourse? A "neutrals" section I believe you might call it. It works because you just can't hate Fulham.

How could you hate a team founded before the Rams, whose only honour is being crowned Champions of the level both teams currently play at?

How could you hate a club that has produced the likes of Johnny Haynes, George Cohen, Rodney Marsh, Alan Mullery and Ray Lewington? A club that would accommodate George Best, Alan Mullery and Bobby Moore.

How could you hate a team that play in white shirts and black shorts?

You can't.

Even if your record at Craven Cottage shows that the last time you won in the League at Craven Cottage was back in our "Championship" winning year of '68/69, Frank Wignall coming off the bench to score in our 1-0 victory.

So Fulham is always one of those days out that are a must. After a couple of obligatory beers in Putney it's to the match.

Steve McClaren makes three changes, in come Matej Vydra, Craig Bryson and Johnny Russell for Darren Bent, Hughes and Weimann. So pace and on the deck it has to be. In theory anyway.

Fulham though play the early football, Floyd Ayite feeds Lucas Piazon only for Alex Pearce to block and Scott Carson to collect the low shot.

Our defence was the busier and Scott Carson was called on to make a couple more saves which he handles confidently.

Despite seeing little of the possession, we have an air of solidarity at the back. Shots blaze over the bar from long range, we don't care, our keeper nonchalant.

We care more when Russell bashes the ball forward from the half way line; there is no danger, a bread and butter clearance for the centre half. But rather than head it the defender attempts a kick, it fails spectacularly and the ball runs to Tom Ince.

Ince is through. One on one with the keeper. In the box. And cool as a Cornetto our hero slots the ball past David Button in the Cottagers goal.

Thirty five gone and the stand bounces.

Our lead though lasts but ten minutes, their No 2, Ryan Fredericks bursts into the Derby penalty area, Marcus Olsson isn't tight, we are narrow, Fredericks reaches the goal line and two yards out drives a low cross into the centre, Carson elects to stick out a foot, it misses and Ayite has a simple tap in to level the scores.

In truth 1-1 as the half time whistle blows is a fair reflection of the first forty five.

On the hour mark the Rams concede again, a straight shot which seems to go through Pearce with Carson unmoving on the line, a sucker punch from Stefan Johansen.

Trailing we gamble, on come Bent and Abdoul Camara, off go Vydra and Russell.

A corner to our left, in the centre Pearce and Richard Keogh speak; Pearce hand over mouth hatches a plan. Both our centre halves stand together and as the ball is floated in Pearce attacks it whilst Keogh stays stationary and blocks two markers, his own and Pearce's.

The ball is inch perfect near the front post and Pearce heads firmly down and into the net to make it two all. Derby County have finally scored from a corner is the buzz in the stands!

Fifteen minutes left, the home side press for a winner, it leaves space and in the dying minutes Bradley Johnson in the centre circle is hacked at by Michael Madl, he stumbles, he's through, a long way to go but only the keeper to beat.

The keeper... and the referees whistle. The latter stopping any thoughts of the former.

Too quick to blow the game is called back, Andy Woolmer the ref compounds his lack of judgement by only issuing a yellow when a red, last man, goal scoring opportunity and all that was deserved.

The game restarts and from having just one player in front of the ball, Fulham now have eleven. Where's the justice in that? There's not much in ten, but at least it's fair play.

It ended 2-2, a fair result, the home side dominated possession and had more shots on target whilst the Rams winning seven game streak came to an end but we are still unbeaten.

Performance wise we were better today than on Wednesday and when we have our strongest team fit and on the field, we look capable of beating anybody, take a few players out though and our options become limited.

Still a good day out and a deserved result.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/news/44528/

WhiteJC

Ref denied us chance to nick late winner at Fulham, argues Derby County boss Steve McClaren

Derby County felt referee Andy Woolmer's controversial decision in added time at the end of Saturday's game at Fulham denied them a possible third and winning goal.

The teams were locked at 2-2 when Bradley Johnson won possession in the middle of the pitch.

Fulham substitute Michael Madl tried to bring down Johnson but the Rams midfielder was able to get back on his feet, retain possession and keep moving forward.

With substitute Darren Bent to Johnson's left, Derby had a promising two-on-one attack but referee Andy Woolmer decided to blow for the foul rather than play advantage.

The decision left Derby's players, manager and coaching staff perplexed.

"I told him (the referee) at the end I thought it was the worst decision I had seen all afternoon, and for a long time," said McClaren.

"He nearly agreed with me! He accepted he should have waited another two or three seconds and that he blew too soon."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/ref-denied-us-chance-to-nick-late-winner-at-fulham-argues-derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren/story-29992301-detail/story.html#pufTsyUHUekqZLmA.99

WhiteJC

Ayite: Fulham are one of the best sides to watch

Fulham are one of the best sides to watch in the country according to Floyd Ayite, but need to tighten up at the back in order to keep pace with the Championship's top six.

The Togolese winger scored his fourth goal for the Whites in a pulsating 2-2 draw with Derby County yesterday, but speaking before that match to the Football League Paper, Ayite insisted the Londoners can return to the top flight by continuing the excellent form that has seen them move closer towards the play-off places. The former Bastia man is convinced that they need to become more miserly in defence, however, if they are to achieve Slavisa Jokanovic's ultimate goal of promotion.

The 28 year-old, speaking through a translator, said:

We are the second highest scores in the division. We score a lot of goals and this shows we play good football. Sometimes, though, we are a little bit open and that is something we need to consider. We concede a lot of goals and now we have to find the right balance between attacking and defending. If we can, this will show we are an effective side.

Once we have worked on this problems, we can look ahead and be positive about the future and the rest of the season. I think we are one of the best sides who plays really good football and I think we have a very good chance of reaching the top six. If we can continue to attack like we did, we have a very good chance.

Ayite admits that he has been surprised with how easily he has settled in London, although he is still wrestling with the language.

I am making progress with my English every day. It isn't easy. There are certain codes which you understand on the pitch and I still prefer to do interviews in French at the moment, so I can explain properly. I came here to experience this great thing [English football] and I am so happy I have been so warmly welcomed by the fans since I arrived.

I am equally as happy that I have been able to give something back to them. My goal is to take the team back to the Premier League. It's where I want to play and it's where Fulham want to play.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/ayite-fulham-are-one-of-the-best-sides-to-watch/