watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Halifax 0 Fulham 8

Started by f321ffc, December 22, 2016, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Going back to earlier comments we had a newspaper seller called 'Old Charlie' and on a Saturday evening he would walk his route from Fulham Road, down Parsons Green Lane, and over Parsons Green to the corner of my road, Peterborough Road.
With his loud voice you could hear him coming from quite a distance, but by the time he had reached my road he had very often sold out of the Evening Standard.
It was not be chance that his route passed several pubs!

cmg

The Saturday 'Classified' (News, Standard and, up to 1960, Star) was something of a marvel.
Leave the ground at full-time and without undue hanging about (pubs didn't open until 5.30 anyway) you could buy a classified at Wimbledon station. It contained all the results, league tables and a full(-ish) report of the match you had just been watching.

b+w geezer

Quote from: cmg on December 23, 2016, 11:44:14 AM
The Saturday 'Classified' (News, Standard and, up to 1960, Star) was something of a marvel.
It contained all the results, league tables and a full(-ish) report of the match you had just been watching.
As you say, detailed about the first first and then increasingly rushed. Extraordinary feats of compilation, production and distribution. Believe they lasted longer in some provincial cities than in London. When we won at Villa in the cup under Keegan, there was certainly such a paper available to gloat over by the time we'd got back to Birmingham New Street.

bog

I went to the next away game. 'We' won 4-1 at Stockport and Steve scored another 3. He could have had another 5 but for their keeper...Alan Ogley...he was outstanding that long gone day.

092.gif

bog

I bid for that prog but stopped at £5...cos my wife was about.... :022: :023: :dft001:

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: b+w geezer on December 23, 2016, 12:17:36 PM
Quote from: cmg on December 23, 2016, 11:44:14 AM
It contained all the results, league tables and a full(-ish) report of the match you had just been watching.
As you say, detailed about the first first and then increasingly rushed. Extraordinary feats of compilation, production and distribution. Believe they lasted longer in some provincial cities than in London. When we won at Villa in the cup under Keegan, there was certainly such a paper available to gloat over by the time we'd got back to Birmingham New Street.

Happy memories of waiting at Ealing Broadway station with my grandfather on a Saturday evening waiting to see which van would arrive first, News or Standard, and fling their pile of papers at the seller. Simpler times!

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: The Old Count on December 22, 2016, 10:16:45 PM
Quote from: Jem on December 22, 2016, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: GloucesterWhite on December 22, 2016, 08:29:08 PM
If I remember correctly Steve Earle got 5 and they wouldn't give him the ball after the game.
As I remember it he got five and took the ball into the Halifax changing room and asked the players to sign it. This may, of course, be folk law as I was "very young" at the time!

Not too young to be in the pub the next day celebrating the win with yours truly
E for B and Stevie Earle.

Jem

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 23, 2016, 12:42:30 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on December 22, 2016, 10:16:45 PM
Quote from: Jem on December 22, 2016, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: GloucesterWhite on December 22, 2016, 08:29:08 PM
If I remember correctly Steve Earle got 5 and they wouldn't give him the ball after the game.
As I remember it he got five and took the ball into the Halifax changing room and asked the players to sign it. This may, of course, be folk law as I was "very young" at the time!

Not too young to be in the pub the next day celebrating the win with yours truly
E for B and Stevie Earle.
You were there too!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

bog

I bid for that programme and just found out that I already have an immaculate one....it must be an age thing.... :doh: :dft001:

092.gif

sunburywhite

You used to have a news seller who sold the Standard and one who sold the News

I loved asking the Standard man if he had the News and vice versa
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me