watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Today's Mail

Started by bog, December 24, 2016, 04:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

In today's Mail there is an article by Jimmy Armfield about how they used to play on both Christmas and Boxing days. They show 3 atmospheric black and white photos from the long gone past (always the best in my mind) and one of them is from a game at Craven Cottage. I think the Fulham keeper may be Ian Black or Doug Flack...anyone seen this?

092.gif   

HatterDon

as I remember, the only matches on Christmas Day used to be north of the border. It was a full load on Christmas Eve and a full load on Boxing Day.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bog

I recall games on Christmas Day. The photo looks to be early '50's.

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Yes bog, I saw that article in The Mail. Absolutely right. We played Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. I think the Goalkeeper was Ian Black, but the memory fades. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

According to the record book, the last time we played on Christmas Day was at Lincoln in 1957. Roy Dwight's goal secured the (then) 2 points.
Lincoln must have traveled back with us as we beat them 4-1 at the Cottage the next day (Haynes 2, Chamberlain, Hill).

Trains ran in England on Christmas Day until the mid 60s. I remember my railwaymen uncles going off to work at 4.30 Christmas morning.

The Manchester United picture must have been from the Boxing Day 1951 fixture when we drew 3-3 having lost 2-3 up there on Christmas Day.

HatterDon

Quote from: cmg on December 24, 2016, 07:36:00 PM
According to the record book, the last time we played on Christmas Day was at Lincoln in 1957. Roy Dwight's goal secured the (then) 2 points.
Lincoln must have traveled back with us as we beat them 4-1 at the Cottage the next day (Haynes 2, Chamberlain, Hill).

Trains ran in England on Christmas Day until the mid 60s. I remember my railwaymen uncles going off to work at 4.30 Christmas morning.

The Manchester United picture must have been from the Boxing Day 1951 fixture when we drew 3-3 having lost 2-3 up there on Christmas Day.

That would explain why our memories differ, Mr. Bog. I first got to England in the Summer of 1966.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bog

Hatter I think that does explain it! Cmg and Woolly, great days they where....Roy Dwight.... what a player he was for us. Was really upset when he was transferred to Forest. His scoring record was phenomenal. His cousin Reg used to watch him play for us....

092.gif