WhiteJC

Results

Thursday 29th
Aston Villa
1 - 1 Leeds
Rotherham
1 - 2 Burton

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic admits 'anything is possible' in January for out-of-favour striker
Following the loan signing of Chris Martin, opportunities have been limited and he now appears firmly out of favour

Matt Smith looks likely to leave Fulham in January with Slavisa Jokanovic admitting 'anything is possible' when quizzed about the striker's future.

The former Leeds United forward began August as the team's spearhead and was in fine fettle during the opening few matches of the season, netting against Newcastle and Preston.

However, following the loan signing of Chris Martin, Smith's opportunities have been limited and he now appears firmly out of favour.

The Fulham boss said: ''Matt Smith is a good professional and working hard. I've preferred to use different people in the position he plays in general.

Matt Smith shows his frustration (Photo: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

"Anything is possible in the transfer window and we'll try and make the best decision for ourselves.''

Meanwhile, Stevie Humphrys can expect more minutes in the first-team. The 19-year-old came on for Sone Aluko during the closing stages of Saturday's draw with Derby having scored 12 goals in 11 PL2 games this term.

His boss believes that the youngster has a bright future ahead of him and has challenged Humphrys to continue his rapid improvement.

"In front of him is a huge space and time to improve. We have been following his progress in games for the U23s.

"He's in great form and everything will now depend on him. It's simple. He needs to improve himself, work hard and fight to get closer to the starting XI.''

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-admits-12380280

WhiteJC

SWANSEA & CHRIS COLEMAN – A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN?

Now that Bob Bradley has become the latest managerial casualty in the Premier League after being relieved of his post earlier this month by Swansea City, the question is who will replace him as we go into the second half of the season.  The highest profile football club in Wales is aiming fairly high with Wales manager Chris Coleman emerging as an early favourite to take over.

Since taking over the Welsh national side Chris Coleman has emerged onto the world stage with great credit after taking a side that had not qualified for a  major tournament in nearly sixty years to the semi-finals of Euro 2016.  The fact that they lost to eventual winners Portugal only added to the achievement.  Since then Coleman has been linked to a great many jobs, some appealing and some not so appealing.  You would have to think that he would consider Swansea as a viable option though.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first, Coleman is Welsh as are Swansea.  This is more noteworthy say than Eddie Howe (an Englishman) managing Bournemouth (an English club) as having a Welsh manager of a Welsh club in the English Premier League is something unheard of in the modern era.  A curiosity in itself.

Next we have the club itself.  It is the highest profile Welsh club.  It has a strong infrastructure and a fairly successful recent history.  They won the League Cup in 2013 after battering Bradford City 5-0 and have maintained a strong showing in England's top flight since then.  At the moment they are struggling but this is something Coleman has experienced before, albeit unsuccessfully as he was sacked by Fulham when they were in trouble, so you would think this wouldn't be too much of a problem for him.  As a club though they are an established Premier League side who can kick on with the right management and investment.

This leads into the man himself.  Chris Coleman is an ambitious manager.  He had never made a secret of his desire to win trophies and contend amongst the best.  In his very first managerial role at Fulham he went toe-to-toe with the great Sir Alex Ferguson over the signing of Louis Saha and has kept this tenacity and single-mindedness as a strong part of his character.  He wants to manage at the top level and to compete for trophies so, in my opinion, Swansea would be the perfect fit.  Coleman will know he has taken the Welsh team as far as he can with the players available, so a return to club management is the next logical step.  Where better to do this than the Premier League?

Swansea are actively pursuing Coleman, amongst others it has to be said, so I would be surprised if they weren't putting together an attractive package to entice him to the Liberty Stadium.  This will have to include a decent transfer kitty so he can take immediate steps to putting his own stamp on the first team.  If you were a Swansea City fan then you have to look at this match with anticipation.  A strong and ambitious club with a young (ish) and dynamic manager at the helm playing the kind of football we have seen them play over the last four or five years looks a match made in heaven.

http://www.footballfan.zone/blogs/swansea-chris-coleman-a-match-made-in-heaven/

WhiteJC

Smith set for Fulham exit?
by DAN on DECEMBER 29, 2016

Matt Smith could be poised to leave Fulham during the January transfer window – after Slavisa Jokanovic admitted 'anything is possible' over the next month when it comes to the out-of-favour forward.

The Serbian head coach praised Smith's professional attitude as he has dealt well with being replaced by on-loan striker Chris Martin, but hinted that his future could lie elsewhere. The former Leeds forward started the season well – scoring winners against Newcastle and Preston, but has since largely had to be content with substitutes appearances, and was overlooked for a starting place when Martin was ineligible to face Derby last week.

Jokanovic told journalists ahead of Friday's clash with Reading:

Matt Smith is a good professional and working hard. I've preferred to use different people in the position he plays in general. Anything is possible in the transfer window and we'll try and make the best decision for ourselves.

The Fulham boss also praised teenage striker Stevie Humphrys and suggested that there is more game time on the horizon for the youngster after he made his senior debut as a substitute against Derby.

In front of him is a huge space and time to improve. We have been following his progress in games for the U23s. He's in great form and everything will now depend on him. It's simple. He needs to improve himself, work hard and fight to get closer to the starting XI.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/smith-set-for-fulham-exit/

WhiteJC

Three points more important than revenge for Kermorgant

Forward previews visit of Cottagers

Royals forward Yann Kermorgant insists that the biggest motivation against Fulham this Friday is the three points on offer, which would see the Royals into 2017 in third position in the league table.

Kermorgant was an injury absentee in the 5-0 defeat at Craven Cottage, while John Swift – who returned against Norwich – was also missing with injury and Liam Moore sat out through suspension.

"Fulham will be a tough one again," said Kermorgant.  "I wasn't playing in the away game when we got beaten 5-0, but it was a tough one to watch.

"I wouldn't say that we're after revenge, but it's another tough game and another important game.

"It's another game at home, so we want to be strong like we were against Norwich and we'll go into it with confidence."

Kermorgant made his return to the starting XI against Norwich on Boxing Day, and got a goal and an assist on his return – our fifth successive home win.

His opener was a well-won header; his assist was somewhat accidental, as his spot-kick struck the bar and allowed Garath McCleary to power in on the rebound!

"I'm fully recovered, and that was my first 90 minutes against Norwich and I'm really pleased with my game, as well as the lads' performance and the three points," he continued.

"It was a great ball from Liam Kelly and a good header, and getting a goal is always a good thing.  We did have some chances to score a second, but eventually we got the win and it was a great performance from the lads today.

"For the penalty, I was ready to shoot hard to the left – but the goalkeeper is huge, and I knew I'd have to hit it hard. 

"When I saw him dive the right way, I changed my mind and wanted to put it down the middle – but it had a bit too much power and hit the hard.  But G came from nowhere and put it in with a great header!

"And then the third goal was a big relief because there wasn't much time remaining.  We knew that would be game over, so there was a big sigh of relief when Callum hit that one!"

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/3-points-reading-fulham-madejski-stadium-yann-kermorgant-3489574.aspx#lox7FiDIVdtASGRq.99

WhiteJC

Kalas ruled out of Fulham's trip to Reading

Fulham will again be without centre-back Tomas Kalas for their trip to Reading on Friday night.

The on-loan Chelsea defender is still struggling with a hamstring injury picked up in the 2-2 draw with Derby earlier this month.

Kalas was forced to miss the Boxing Day win at Ipswich and will also sit out the visit to the Madejski Stadium.

It is his second spell on the sidelines after a similar injury saw him miss six matches during September and October, when Fulham failed to keep a clean sheet.

Slavisa Jokanovic otherwise has a full squad to choose from, and hinted at changes to his line-up to keep his squad fresh during the busy Christmas period.

Third-placed Reading could restore former Brentford man John Swift to their line-up, after he made his return from injury as a substitute on Boxing Day.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-fulham-man-miss-reading-game

WhiteJC

Jokanovic excited by 'great test'
by DAN on DECEMBER 29, 2016

Slavisa Jokanovic says Friday night's trip to Reading represents a stern test of Fulham's promotion ambitions.

The Serbian head coach takes his side to the Madjeski Stadium with the Whites just four points off the play-off places and in the midst of a five-match unbeaten run. He feels the next two league fixtures, against third placed Reading and current Championship pacesetters Brighton and Albion, will show just how strong Fulham's promotion credentials really are.

Jokanovic told his pre-match press conference at Motspur Park:

We are going to play against third and first in the league. It is a great chance to test ourselves. We go into this match full of confidence after the match against Ipswich.

They (Reading) have not changed their style after they played us. But we have to be ready for any changes they may make.

The Fulham boss played down immediate talk of a promotion challenge, preferring to focus on the immediate priority of preparing to face the Royals, who will be eager for revenge after being on the receiving end of a 5-0 hammering at Craven Cottage earlier this month.

I am not thinking about May. I am thinking about tomorrow night and the next step. The next step is Reading.

Jokanovic, who confirmed that Tomas Kalas is the only member of the first team squad unavailable, admitted he pays little attention to the comments of other managers. Mick McCarthy became the latest Championship boss to laud Fulham's style of play – but the Serbian reiterated that his focus is on achieving the results to close the gap on the sides leading the way.

It's nice if some managers say we play nice football. But we haven't done our job. We push harder to make ourselves better.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/jokanovic-excited-by-great-test/

WhiteJC

Fulham Look To End Reading Home Run

Reading will be looking to extend their home winning run to six games on Friday night at the Madejski Stadium. The Royals face play-off rivals Fulham, for an 8pm kick-off, after making it five consecutive home wins with a 3-1 Boxing Day victory over Norwich City. That victory saw Reading close the gap on second place to six points at the midway point of the season. The Canaries were a team expecting big things this season, but arrived at Reading out of form and on a dramatic slide down the Championship table. Fulham will be an entirely different test after hitting form as they continue their climb up the table. Fulham are four points away from the play-off positions after an impressive 2-0 away win at Ipswich on Boxing Day.

The Cottagers are unbeaten in five games - a run that began with their 5-0 thrashing of the Royals at their place at the start of December. Reading were very much second best that Saturday afternoon and were already looking a beaten side before Danny Williams was sent off just nine minutes into the second half. The Royals have won 3 out of 4 since the collapse at Craven Cottage, and will be looking for revenge, and more importantly more points to keep pace with the top two. Danny Williams will be hoping for a longer stay on the pitch. Meanwhile John Swift will be pushing for more match time after making his return from injury on Monday afternoon. Swift came on to play the last 13 minutes and looked fully recovered and will be hopeful for a place in the starting eleven. Kermorgant scored before embarrassing himself from the penalty spot but will be looking to keep hold of his place as manager Jaap Stam looks to have options in all departments again.

Fulham are favouries for an away win with Ladbrokes - probably after their recent 5-0 demolition job on the Royals:

Reading win: 15/8
The draw: 12/5
Fulham win: 11/8

That big defeat for Reading against Fulham made it three defeats out of four in our recent meetings. Our last win was a 3-0 victory at the Madejski Stadium in September 2014 with two goals from Glenn Murray and one from Nick Blackman. Since then we've conceeded 13 goals in 4 games to Fulham - with three defeats and a home draw that came last season. Reading will be looking to make the most of home advantage and improve their recent form against the visitors.

Recent Meetings With FULHAM
DATE   COMPETITION   OPPOSITION   SCORE   REPORT
03 December 2016   Championship   Fulham (Away)   L: 0-5   Read report...
05 March 2016   Championship   Fulham (HOME)   D: 2-2   Read report...
24 October 2015   Championship   Fulham (Away)   L: 2-4   Read report...
17 January 2015   Championship   Fulham (Away)   L: 1-2   Read report...
13 September 2014   Championship   Fulham (HOME)   W: 3-0   Read report...
04 May 2013   Premier League   Fulham (Away)   W: 4-2   Read report...
27 October 2012   Premier League   Fulham (HOME)   D: 3-3   Read report...
12 April 2008   Premiership   Fulham (HOME)   L: 0-2   Read report...
03 November 2007   Premiership   Fulham (Away)   L: 1-3   Read report...
14 April 2007   Premiership   Fulham (HOME)   W: 1-0   Read report...
25 November 2006   Premiership   Fulham (Away)   W: 1-0   Read report...
05 April 1999   Division Two   Fulham (HOME)   L: 0-1   Read report...
23 February 1999   Division Two   Fulham (Away)   L: 1-3   Read report...

- See more at: http://www.royals.org/news/610/Fulham_Look_To_End_Reading_Home_Run#sthash.r5hNilz7.dpuf

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham

FRI, 30 DEC 2016CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Madejski Stadium

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Reading host Fulham just four weeks after the Royals suffered a 5-0 defeat at Craven Cottage.

Midfielder John Swift is in contention to start after returning from injury as a substitute on Boxing Day.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic remains without on-loan centre-back Tomas Kalas (hamstring), who was forced off during the 2-2 draw with Derby on 17 December.

The Serb has no other injury worries, as he looks to extend the west London club's unbeaten run to six matches.

Jaap Stam's Reading have won eight of their last 10 Championship games and are six points off the automatic promotion places.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic told BBC Radio London:

"It is a great opportunity to test ourselves with where we are. We are full of confidence and are in good form.

"We beat them a month ago but I don't expect similar things. We have to open the mind and be ready for everything.

"We will always be under some kind of pressure. Thinking short-term is the best thing for us."

Match facts
Reading are unbeaten in their last three home league games against Fulham, scoring eight goals in the process (W1 D2).
The last Fulham goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet away to Reading was Kasey Keller in April 2008 (2-0).
The Royals have won eight and lost two of their last 10 Championship contests.
Fulham are unbeaten in their last five league games (W3 D2), netting at least two goals in each match (15 scored in total).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38412159

WhiteJC

The Oppo: Fulham FC (Home)
Handbags previews the Cottagers' visit to the Mad Stad, Reading's last game of 2016.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, and what better way to serve it up than on a cold, wintery Friday evening in front of the home support? Less than a month ago the Royals put on a display that is amongst the worst ever at second tier level.

Make no mistake though, Fulham are one of the most accomplished attacking teams in the Championship and are capable of wiping the floor with any side on their day. They potentially present the toughest test we'll have had so far at the Madejski this season.

Head to Head
Fulham possess the marginally better record over the years, although during the Madejski years the Cottagers have tended to have the better of proceedings with seven wins from 13.

Reading on the other hand have taken three points on just four occasions in that time. With just one win in the five meetings since the west Londoners were relegated from the Premier League, the Royals are well due a victory.

Memorable match
In the corresponding article earlier in the month I indulged myself somewhat with a regaling of my first ever away match in March 1993. This time around I recall my memories of my first ever Reading defeat.

Saturday 15 February 1992, and Reading sat distinctly midtable with just nine wins from their 27 matches so far, the threat of a relegation battle staved off with enough quality over the season to be well clear of the trap door, but never near enough to the top six to ever threaten. Fulham arrived in town with a similar record, also distinctly midtable and so the hope was for a solid performance yielding three welcome points on a fair day at Elm Park.

Memories of the match are somewhat sketchy (I was only nine when played), but what I recall is the match being thoroughly uneventful until two quickfire goals midway through the second half from Fulham's Jeff Eckhardt and Sean Farrell, both tucking tidy efforts past on-loan goalkeeper John Keeley in the Reading goal in front of the Town End.

Reading struggled to find any penetration to their play which was undoubtedly frustrating for the majority of the 4,838 in attendance, and indeed I distinctly recall the local press stating Fulham goalkeeper Jim Stannard was a mere spectator throughout as Mark McGhee's men put in one of the worst performances under him.

Of course, the season was very much one of transition in a time when supporters displayed far greater patience, allowing McGhee and John Madejski the time to build, both being in their first full seasons in their respective positions at the club.

Two summers of progressive of rebuilding displayed what a good manager can do with time and adequate resources, seeing out the old guard such as Trevor Senior, Steve Richardson and Linden Jones, and bringing in quality replacements in the form of Dylan Kerr, Ray Ranson, Phil Parkinson and Jimmy Quinn to supplement the obvious qualities already possessed by Stuart Lovell, Michael Gilkes and Adrian Williams.

The new breed of supporter today could learn a thing or two from such qualities.

Lineups
Reading
John Keeley, Linden Jones, Steve Richardson, Keith McPherson, Adrian Williams, Floyd Streete, Scott Taylor, Danny Bailey, Mick Gooding, Trevor Senior, Craig Maskell.

Sub: Aaron Giametti.

Fulham
Jim Stannard, John Marshall, Martin Pike, Peter Scott, Jeff Eckhardt, Glen Thomas, Simon Morgan, Julian Hails, Sean Farrell, Gary Brazil, Mark Kelly.

No subs used.

Grudge Moment
It has to be said I'm getting a little tired of Fulham. Since relegation from the Premier League just over two seasons ago the Royals have played at Craven Cottage three times and lost on each occasion.

The 2-1 defeat in January 2015 was particularly galling as the performance put in by Reading was so dominant it wouldn't have been out of place in a BDSM club, but it was ultimately rendered pointless thanks to a last minute header from Bryan Ruiz. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Fact, Interesting or Otherwise
Michael Jackson – despite only ever stepping foot inside Craven Cottage once the legendary singer had a statue outside the Stevenage Road Stand at Craven Cottage, a bizarre tribute from Mohamed Al-Fayed who commissioned the 7.5 feet high monolith to place inside his Harrods store four miles away in Knightsbridge.

As it was, Al-Fayed sold Harrods to a new Qatari owner who decided the statue wasn't for him, and with nowhere else to site it Al-Fayed decided to place it outside Fulham Football Club, making the club a laughing stock (and based on Al-Fayed's comments after its unveiling it looks like I'm going to hell). Thankfully the dreadful piece only lasted two years outside the Cottage, Shahid Khan also deciding it wasn't for him and the piece now sits, again somewhat bizarrely, in the National Football Museum in Manchester.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2016/12/29/14117818/the-oppo-fulham-fc-reading-fc

WhiteJC

Inverness boss Richie Foran fears losing Larnell Cole as parent club Fulham ignore the Highlanders
The Championship club have failed to respond to Caley Thistle's approach to hammer out a loan extension.

Inverness boss Richie Foran fears his bid to keep Larnell Cole until the end of the season could hit a brick wall – after silence from Fulham.

The Championship club have failed to respond to Caley Thistle's approach to hammer out a loan extension.

With the current deal set to expire early in the New Year, Foran is puzzled and concerned by the lack of contact from the Craven Cottage side.

Former Manchester United kid Cole initially struggled to win a place in the team after joining Inverness in late August but has made an attacking midfield slot his own since mid-November, drawing plaudits for his performances.

Gaffer Foran, who is eager to keep the 23-year-old until the end of May, said: "There's no positive news on Larnell. We've had one text message from the Fulham secretary saying they would get back to us by yesterday and they didn't, which is disappointing.

"We've contacted them and contacted them. I'm going to have a chat to Larnell again to make sure this is where he sees himself for the rest of the season. I spoke to him two or three weeks ago and he told me this is where he wants to be until May but I need to hear it from him again.

"I'll now need to get Larnell to contact Fulham and it's disappointing not to hear anything back.

"The current loan is up on January 7 and we contacted them three weeks ago. We've phoned and emailed them. They're slow getting back and it worries me to be honest.

"I told Larnell I wanted to keep him here and he said he wanted to stay because he was getting game time. I told him he'd keep getting game time if he kept performing – and he has been.

"He's a player who brings a lot to the team and I feel him staying could be mutually beneficial. Hopefully there will be movement soon."

Foran, preparing for a resumption of Highland derby hostilities tomorrow, remains upbeat in the face of poor results, with bottom-of-the-table Inverness having grabbed just one win in 13 games.

But Dingwall has been a happy hunting ground – with five wins from the last five visits for Caley Thistle – and the Irishman said: "I expect a battle, a fight – a really tough game.

"It's just the norm in this fixture. It will be a fantastic atmosphere as always. It will come down to who can take their chances.

"We're sitting bottom and we deserve to be but we're playing quite well.

"We're the better team and dominating most games but we're losing them, so I'll take a poor performance and a 1-0 win.

"It's too early to talk about pressure. If we win this game, we can jump two or three places and would be just a point behind Ross County heading into the break.

"It's one we want to win badly. I still believe we'll finish in the top six but we need to turn these performances by what we do in front of goal.

"You can talk about luck but we have to go and make our luck. There's no excuses now – it's down to us all to get results and I believe we will."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inverness-boss-richie-foran-fears-9534121

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham - Early Team News

Tonight Fulham make the short trip down the M4 to take on Reading in the second fixture of their festive programme.

The fixture comes a month after the sides met at Craven Cottage, a fixture that saw Fulham run out 5-0 winners.

However, we`re pretty certain that the game won`t be so one sided this time. Jaap Stam, the former Manchester United defender, has guided the Berkshire club to within six points of an automatic promotion place with 8 wins out of their last 10 Championship games.

With the kick-off still a fair way off we have some early team news for you to mull over:

Starting with our hosts Reading:

Jaap Stam is able to welcome back his midfielder, John Swift, to his squad after the player made a substitute appearance on Boxing day.

Reading have no new injury problems.

Continuing with Fulham:

Still side-lined with a hamstring injury is Tomas Kalas, our on-loan centre-back is still troubled by a hamstring problem.

Apart from Kalas, Slavisa Jokanovic has no new injury problems following the fine 2-0 win away to Ipswich, on Boxing Day.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=473832#ixzz4UJZeumtM

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham - Jokanovic Speaks

The next two fixtures, in the Championship, will test Fulham`s promotion aspirations.

An away trip to take on Reading this evening is followed by a home game against Brighton and Hove Albion early next week. Two wins and six points would surely show our rivals we are ready for the challenge ahead.

But first Fulham have to deal with a Jaap Stam inspired Reading side who have won 8 out of their last 10 Championship games.

Talking to the media, ahead of the game, Slavisa Jokanovic had this to say about the difficult looking fixture, remarking,

'It is a great opportunity to test ourselves with where we are. We are full of confidence and are in good form.

'We beat them a month ago but I don't expect similar things. We have to open the mind and be ready for everything.

'We will always be under some kind of pressure. Thinking short-term is the best thing for us.'

Exactly, let`s take each game as it comes and see where it leads us.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=473833#ixzz4UJa4ox7P

WhiteJC

Harriott hopes to continue winning ways against Cottagers

Callum Harriott says Royals are targeting another solid performance against Fulham...

Royals winger Callum Harriott is hoping for another strong performance from Reading when they face Fulham under the floodlights this evening at Madejski Stadium.

The forward says the solid defensive display from the Reading back line was reflected throughout the team against a good Norwich side on Monday, and is something Harriott hopes the Royals will build on against the Cottagers. 

"We've been working hard and are looking forward to the Fulham game," said Harriott.

"Our defence against Norwich was very good, Liam Moore and Paul McShane were very solid at the back and when you have that is spreads through the team and goes all the way through to the front."

The 22-year-old came off the bench on Boxing Day to slam home a stunning third goal for the Royals, all but sealing the points for Jaap Stam's side.

Despite being keen to earn a starting place for the Royals, Harriott realises the importance of the role he played coming on as a substitute for the team in helping secure the win.

"All I can do is continue to train hard," said the winger. "Hopefully when I get the opportunity to start I can keep my place, but that is the good thing and one of the strengths of the team we've got.

"We've got a lot of competition because we've got a lot of good players which is a good thing.

"It's important that when you're not starting you need to stay ready because situations like Norwich can happen," he continued. "When you're 2-1 up but under pressure and you need to go on and do the job for the team.

"It was important for me that I scored so that was good. Norwich were a good side and put up a good fight, it's good to come on whilst we were under the cosh and get that goal, so we're looking forward to Fulham now to try and continue what we've been doing."

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/fulham-callum-harriott-madejski-stadium-3491132.aspx#dQma6crQ9wPUHWSi.99

WhiteJC

Up next: Reading (a)
by DAN on DECEMBER 30, 2016

Slavisa Jokanovic has been quite categorical in saying that both the last match of 2016 and the first of the new year will show just where his Fulham side stand in terms of mounting a promotion push. The Whites face two of the form sides, Reading and Brighton, in quick succession and need to pick up points to prevent the top six from pulling away from the chasing pack. Tonight's trip to the Madjeski Stadium offers the opportunity to lay down a marker – Fulham are five games unbeaten and will be roared on by a strong away support, but third placed Reading are in the middle of a good run of form themselves and will want to take revenge for their 5-0 hammering at Craven Cottage back at the start of the month,

The Royals have been particular difficult to beat on their own patch. Their 3-1 dismantling of Norwich City, who are sinking quite alarmingly away from their previous position as one of the promotion favourites, on Boxing Day represented a fifth straight home win and closed the gap on the automatic promotion places to six points. Jaap Stam's footballing philosophy, honed in his native Holland and not far removed from the total football that swept the continent in the eighties, means Reading play an attractive and adventurous brand of football, prioritising possession – although Fulham have fared far better against sides who aim to keep the ball this season.

Stam has build a side that can put together a realistic promotion challenge based on a mix of know-how and youthful exuberance. Although Chris Gunter might have put through his own net to start the rout at Craven Cottage, the Welsh international remains one of the division's most reliable full-back and the ex-Manchester United combination of Paul McShane and Tyler Blackett deliver more defensive solidity. Joey van der Berg, the experienced Dutch holding midfielder, looks an excellent pick up on a Bosman from Heerenveen, whilst the likes of Garath McCleary, who has a record of scoring against Fulham and the former Chelsea midfielder John Swift, who could make a return to the starting line-up tonight, offer plenty of guile to unlock stubborn defences. With a proven Championship goalscorer in Yann Kermogant, the Royals look a formidable proposition.

Although Fulham's record has improved against Reading recently, you still have to go back to April 2008 for their last win at the Madjeski. The famous day when goals from Brian McBride and Erik Nevland delivered the Whites' first away league win in fifteen months – and Kasey Keller kept a vital clean sheet – gave Roy Hodgson's survival hopes a real shot in the arm. Repeating the trick has proven difficult for Fulham since then, a couple of goal-filled draws in the Premier League years, were followed by a dismal defeat under Felix Magath, when the visitors slumped to a 3-0 reverse following Matt Smith's early red card on his debut, and a 2-2 draw last season.

Fulham are a much more streetwise side on the road this season but maintaining the composure that delivered another clean sheet at Portman Road on Boxing Day will prove difficult against significantly superior opposition. Doing so in the continued absence of commanding centre back Tomas Kalas, who is still sidelined by his hamstring injury, will be a real challenge. Jokanovic will have to decide whether to continue with Tim Ream and Michael Madl, who dovetailed effectively against Ipswich or turn to Ragnar Sigurdsson, who came off the bench to head home his first goal for the club.

The head coach has also hinted at further means of freshening up his side. Ryan Fredericks, who won a penalty against Reading with one of his typical barnstorming runs last season, could return to the side although that might be harsh on Denis Odoi, who proved particularly dangerous in the final third himself against Ipswich. Scott Parker has not started a league game since October – but you suspect Jokanovic will be loathe to break up the midfield triumvirate of Kevin McDonald, Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney, especially when they are gelling so effectively. Brazilian forward Lucas Piazon, who has largely had to make do with contributions from the bench of late, will be particularly keen to impress against one of his former sides.

The margins of success in the Championship are so small. Reading have won eight of their last ten league fixtures as they have cemented their position as the most likely challengers to Newcastle and Brighton at the top – and will be smarting from that hiding at the Cottage. Stam has insisted that he won't adapt his approach to prevent teams from pressing them high up the pitch and perhaps a fast, high tempo start will be the best way to establish an advantage in what looks like an intriguing contest.

MY FULHAM XI (4-1-2-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Malone, Madl, Sigurdsson; McDonald; Johansen, Cairney; Ayite, Aluko, Martin. Subs: Button, Sessegnon, Ream, Parker, Christensen, Piazon, Smith.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/up-next-reading-a/

WhiteJC

Ream issues Reading rallying cry
by DAN on DECEMBER 30, 2016

Tim Ream has called on his Fulham team-mates to prove that they are worth a top six spot in the Championship by beating Reading at the Madjeski Stadium tonight.

The American centre back, who could deputise again for the injured Tomas Kalas in the crunch clash this evening, wants Fulham to build on their Boxing Day victory at Ipswich and lay down a marker to the rest of the league by doing the double over the Royals. Speaking to FulhamTV ahead of the trip to Berkshire, the former Bolton defender was in no doubt as to the importance of the contest coming so quickly on the heels of Boxing Day success against Ipswich:

You can't ask for much better than what we got [at Ipswich], maybe a few goals would have been nice and a little bit more comfortable but a 2-0 away day victory at Boxing Day, it doesn't get much better does it? For whatever reason, we haven't put together two halves of confident football and, save for the first ten minutes of that second half where they really tried to push it a bit, we made a little tactical switch and it worked wonders. Just overall from start to finish, it was a very confident display.

We knew from the kick off that if we got on top of them, their fans would give it to them a bit and I was surprised that it started as soon as it did, but with the amount of possession we had from the very beginning it was bound to happen.

Ream knows that the 5-0 success over Reading at Craven Cottage earlier this month will have very little bearing on tonight's fixture.

It is a completely different match. It doesn't matter if we beat them 5-0 at our place, they obviously had a man sent off pretty early in that second half. It is an away fixture now, a complete change. They are going to come out with a little bit of revenge and we have to be prepared for that from our point of view. I don't necessarily think we're slipping under the radar.

We're playing so well for large periods of every match that every team gets video clips and watches our games, so I don't think it's necessarily slipping under the radar. I think everyone knows that we're right there and it is just a matter of us getting a result and the teams around us not. For whatever reasons, the teams around us are picking up results on the same weekends and match days as we are.

We've got Brighton and Reading in quick succession – just like the last time we played them, it's the same this time round. Two of the top teams in the league. It's a good benchmark. Both teams will be a good test and we have to come out and prove that we are worthy of being in the top six with those teams.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/ream-issues-reading-rallying-cry/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic in contract talks as Malaga eye Fulham boss

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic is wanted by Spanish club Malaga.

Jokanovic, 48, is in discussions over a new contract at Craven Cottage, where his current deal is due to expire at the end of the season.

Malaga this week placed Marcelo Romero at the helm following the departure of former Tottenham boss Juande Ramos.

But the La Liga outfit have Jokanovic in their sights to take over in the summer.

The former Watford boss left Maccabi Tel Aviv for west London a year ago, when Fulham were 18th in the Championship table.

They initially continued to struggle, finishing in 20th place, and West London Sport revealed in August that Jokanovic was at odds with the Fulham hierarchy over the club's transfer policy, which he later confirmed.

But the Whites have enjoyed an encouraging season under him so far, seemingly strengthening his position.

Jokanovic's side are eighth in the table ahead of Friday evening's game against Reading, just four points away from the play-off places.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-contract-talks-malaga-eye-fulham-boss

WhiteJC

The Tilehurst End Prediction League: Matchday 24 - Fulham (H)

Can Reading end 2016 with a win? It's time to guess the score of tonight's clash with Fulham in our Prediction League!

Stephen Pond/Getty Images

Reading won on Boxing Day for the first time since 2011 as they defeated Norwich City 3-1 to make it eight wins in ten games. The result meant 22 of you won points for the Royals win, with Joe_Evening and RiskAverse picking up two points for getting the scoreline spot on. No one predicted Yann Kermorgant to score the game's first goal, which shows how much faith we have in the French striker!

Fulham, who beat Reading 5-0 earlier this month, visit the Madejski Stadium for the final game of 2016 tonight. All you have to do is guess the score of the game and say who you think will score the first goal in the comments below. A correct score earns two points, a correct result earns one point as does a correct first goalscorer.

I think the score will be 2-2, with Floyd Ayite being the first goalscorer. This series is of course done alongside Reading FC Away Days, and by watching their video which below, you can find out what James and Adam think will happen.

Good luck!

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2016/12/30/14123666/prediction-league-matchday-24-reading-fc-vs-fulham-efl-championship-30-december-2016

WhiteJC

Martin reportedly wants to end Fulham loan

Chris Martin has pulled out of Fulham's game against Reading and wants to return to Derby County, The Sun reports.

Martin is reported to have told Fulham he wants to end his season-long loan at Craven Cottage and go back to the East Midlands.

He was allowed to leave by former Rams boss Nigel Pearson, but is said to be keen to return for family reasons and play under Pearson's successor Steve McClaren.

Martin, 28, has scored seven goals in 11 matches after initially struggling for the Whites.

Both clubs would need to agree to his loan being terminated in order for him to go back to Derby.

The Sun say Fulham have refused to do so and that Martin is now trying to force the issue.

Slavisa Jokanovic battled to sign Martin in August, when the Fulham head coach was at odds with the club's hierarchy over transfer policy.

West London Sport revealed that Jokanovic was keen to sign the former Norwich forward amid behind-the-scenes tensions at the Cottage.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/martin-fulham-squad-demands-return-derby-county-report

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

It was good of the boys to give us the perfect Christmas present at Ipswich. We've not beaten them since 1963 and, while they're not setting the world alight, it's still a tough place to go on Boxing Day. So to keep a clean sheet and manage the game and see it out, while not making any silly mistakes, was good to see. 1-0 is always a bit precarious so it was important we continued to defend as a team. When you keep missing chances you worry that they might equalise with their one shot, but thankfully we got the second goal to help us claim the win. Our away form this season has been second to none and is probably one of the best in the division, which hasn't been the case for a fair while.

Our final match of the calendar year sees us travel to Reading, and they'll be out for a bit of revenge after our 5-0 win earlier in the season. It's always important to start a game well, but especially away from home as it can quieten the crowd and give you a foothold in the match. Then it's important that we continue to create chances, as we have been doing, and put some of them away. Like us, Reading are one of those teams fighting for a Play-Off place, so you'd have to consider this game a six-pointer.

They are a good side who play some nice tiki-taka football. I think if we can go about it in the same way we did for the home game, press high up the pitch and try and win the ball in their half, then we'll be straight at their back-four. I think that will be the gameplan. The lads will have taken a lot of confidence from Ipswich and they'll be keen to keep the run going. There are so many games over the Christmas period that you need to keep the consistency levels up and get as many points as possible to ensure you stay in the pack.

It seems that whenever we win a match, so does every side above us! It's frustrating that we're not really making up much ground, but it's so important that we stay in the hunt and keep breathing down their necks. At this point in the season in the last couple of years we've been looking over our shoulders, so it's a good frustration to have when you look at it from that standpoint. I watched the game between Leeds and Villa last night and 1-1 was probably a good result for us. Those are two teams that are going to be up there at the end of the season. So it's important we keep winning so that when the other teams do slip we've still got our foot on the pedal and are still grabbing points.

After Reading we're hosting Brighton in the New Year, and playing third and first in the standings will be a good benchmark to see where we're at. Even if we draw tonight and then beat Brighton, it's seven points out of a possible nine over the festive period, which is nothing to be sniffed at. If we want to build on the Ipswich result the lads are going to have to make sure they get something out of each of these upcoming fixtures. Six points from the next two outings would obviously be the target, and that would send out a real statement. However, Brighton look like they're going to be fighting Newcastle for the title and they'll be desperate to keep their top spot, so we know we're in for a tough one on Monday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/30/the-sean-davis-column