P - P Cardiff
Newcastle
3 - 1 Nottm Forest
Ipswich
2 - 1 Bristol City
Reading
A - A Fulham

WhiteJC

Chris Martin refuses to play for Fulham at Reading - a look at other striking players
The Derby loanee wants to return to the Midlands to be nearer his family as well as link up with Steve McClaren again

Chris Martin earned the ire of Fulham fans when he told manager Slavisa Jokanovic he did not wish to be selected for Fulham's game at Reading on Friday night.

The Derby loanee wants to return to the Midlands to be nearer his family as well as link up with Steve McClaren again and elected to down tools instead of playing at the Mad Stad.

But Martin is not the first player to refuse to play for his club – and he joins this unfortunate rogues' gallery of striking stars.

From George Eastham and George Best in football's so-called golden ages, to this bunch of modern moaners, it is certainly nothing new to the game.

1. Pierre van Hooijdonk

The original and the most prolific striking footballer, the Dutchman downed tools in 1998 when Nottingham Forest sold strike partner Kevin Campbell following promotion to the Premier League, and stayed on strike until November due to 'broken promises'. Upon his return to the side, van Hooijdonk's team-mates refused to celebrate with him when he scored. Forest were relegated at the end of the season and Van Hooijdonk left for Vitesse Arnhem.

2. Chris Sutton

Six months before van Hooijdonk's hissy fit, Blackburn Rovers striker Chris Sutton made himself a pariah to football fans across the country when he refused to play for England B. Having made his full debut the previous year, Sutton was left out of England's World Cup squad, but after deciding the B team was not for him, his international career was over after just 11 minutes of action.

3. Alex Kolinko

Crystal Palace fans should not have been surprised when their reserve keeper refused to play in a Championship match against Leicester in February 2003, earning him a fine of two weeks wages. Just six months earlier, the Larvian international claimed he was punched by manager Trevor Francis for laughing on the bench when Palace conceded a goal against Bradford.

4. Paul Scholes

Although he may have been a dedicated pro for the most part, Scholes refused to turn out for Manchester United's second-string in a League Cup tie against Arsenal in 2001 after being dropped for the previous league game against Liverpool.

5. Kieron Dyer

The Newcastle United midfielder was dropped by Sir Bobby Robson after refusing to play on the right wing against Middlesbrough in 2004. Robson covered for his player at the time by saying he had a tight hamstring, and was sacked soon after.

6. Sebastien Squillaci

The French international defender, subject of interest from Arsenal, refused to play in Sevilla's Champions League qualifier against Braga in August 2010 to avoid being cup-tied for his potential move to the Gunners – despite having already been picked in the side. Squillaci got his move, but was a flop at the Emirates and signed for Bastia after just 23 games in three years.

7. Dimitar Berbatov

Having initially refused to come off the bench as a sub in a game for Spurs against Newcastle the previous season before reluctantly taking to the pitch, Berbatov went one step further in the summer of 2008 when he said he would not play in a pre-season friendly against Norwich, in an attempt to force through a move to Manchester United. He got his wish on transfer deadline day.

8. Carlos Tevez

The Argentina international refused to come on as a substitute in the second-half of Manchester City's 2-0 defeat at Bayern Munich in the Champions League in 2011, with City manager Roberto Mancini claiming he is finished with the striker. This just three months after telling a chat show in his native Argentina that he would not be returning to Manchester 'even on vacation'. Tevez was placed on gardening leave before returning to the City side six months later.

9. Clint Dempsey

Amidst rumours of interest from Liverpool in the summer of 2012, Dempsey decided to go on strike at Fulham, quickly going from hero to zero at Craven Cottage. However, the Liverpool move never materialised, and Dempsey ultimately moved to Spurs on deadline day instead.

10. James Tarkowski

Lucas Piazon takes on James Tarkowski

Earlier this year, James Tarkowski refused to play for Brentford against Burnley as he was keen to sign for the Clarets. He was omitted from the squad and never played for the Bees again, getting his move on transfer deadline day.

And finally...

William Gallas

The French defender was involved in a long-running contract dispute at Chelsea in 2006, during which the Blues claimed Gallas had threatened to score an own goal if he played for them again, something which was strongly refuted by the player. Given that Tarkowski has put three through his own net over the past two season, it would be difficult to tell if he tried that particular tactic!

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chris-martin-refuses-play-fulham-12388274

WhiteJC

Chris Martin returning to Derby County? Here's what we know so far

Chris Martin has told Fulham that he has played his last game for them, the Derby Telegraph understands.

Martin has informed the West London club that he wishes to end his loan spell at Craven Cottage and return to Derby County.

He was not involved in Fulham's Sky Bet Championship clash with Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

Martin is on a season-long loan after being allowed to leave Derby at the end of the summer transfer window by previous manager Nigel Pearson.

The striker has scored seven goals in 17 appearances for Fulham this term.

Now, though, the Rams are keen to recall him, with Steve McClaren back at the helm.

Derby are now waiting to hear if Fulham are happy for him to rejoin his parent club.

Under the terms of the loan deal, all parties must agree for the player to be recalled in January.

Bearing in mind that Martin has made his feelings clear and Fulham are believed to be due to make a substantial loan fee payment shortly, a return to Derby is now looking much more likely.

Before the Rams' recent match against Fulham, which Martin was not allowed to play in, McClaren was asked if he could see Martin coming back.

"Unless Fulham have had enough of him or he has had enough of Fulham, I really don't know how it is possible," said the former England manager.

"He is doing a good job for them and they are very pleased with him, so he is going to be a big player for Fulham.

"We are just monitoring the situation and we'll see what happens.

"The loan is something that happened at the beginning of the season but it is strange that he is still our player and yet he is playing for a rival."

Asked if he thought it strange that Martin was allowed to go out on loan, McClaren replied: "I thought it at the time, but I wasn't the manager.

"Managers have to make decisions and, probably, it was understandable at that time but I have the highest regard for Chrissy, as everybody knows."

Martin has been Derby's leading scorer for the past three seasons, netting 61 goals in the process.

Fulham's match at Reading was abandoned at half-time due to fog, with the score still 0-0.

Asked about Martin afterwards, Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic said: "He made himself unavailable for today's game.

"He stopped in training but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

"We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger.

"I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract.

"We are not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham - but he's not going to play for Derby."

The Cottagers are back in action on Monday (January 2) when they play host to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/chris-martin-returning-to-derby-county-here-s-what-we-know-so-far/story-30020916-detail/story.html#xztsD6tBGZSzWCaP.99

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović sympathised with the Fulham fans who made the trip to the Madejski Stadium, after the game was called off at half-time.

Heavy fog had hampered vision in the goalless draw with Reading, and the decision was made after the linesmen were apparently unable to see the full width of the pitch.

"It's a shame for our supporters who travelled to watch the game, but in the end I can understand this decision," he explained. "They said they couldn't see the opposite side, and they decided to cancel the game.

"It's not in my hands. I'm not the guy who can stop the game, who can make this kind of decision.

"I'm not involved in this but, like I say, I'm so sorry for our supporters. We play football for them. The linesmen explained to us that they could not do their job. So we're going to play another day, and that's it."

A talking point prior to kick-off was the absence of Chris Martin in the matchday squad, and our Head Coach gave the following statement with regards to the Derby County loanee: "He made himself unavailable for today's game.

"He stopped in training, but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

"We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract.

"We are not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham, but he's not going to play for Derby.

"We are London's oldest Club. We need to be treated with respect."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/30/head-coach-reaction

WhiteJC

Match Abandoned

Fulham's match at Reading's Madejski Stadium on Friday 30th December was called off at half-time due to thick fog.

The decision was made due to the fact that neither linesman could see the full width of the pitch. The game was goalless at the time.

Full details regarding the rearranged fixture will be detailed on fulhamfc.com in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/30/match-abandoned

WhiteJC

Chris Martin refuses to play for Fulham as referee decides to abandon clash at Reading
Martin pulls out before the game as ref decides he doesn't want to play on at half time

Chris Martin's exodus from the matchday squad for refusing to play wasn't able to manifest itself as Fulham's clash with Reading was abandoned at half-time due to fog.

Although at the fog filled Madejski stadium the Scottish striker may have found himself to be as trivial to viewing supporters had he started as he will soon be to the west London outfit he still represents – for now.

The Fulham loanee signalled his intent to return to his parent club Derby County this morning and, in an attempt to speed up the process, made himself unavailable for the Whites trip to Berkshire.

Fulham were looking to build on their 2-0 victory over Ipswich Town last time out and started the game brightly although Ryan Fredericks will be disappointed that his early excursion down the right lacked a final ball after an initial burst of pace had put him clear.

Yann Kermorgant's through ball then presented Garath McCleary with a golden opportunity to open the scoring but the Reading forward took too much time before his shot was deflected off David Button for a corner.

As the half developed it became clear that viewing, playing and officiating the game was becoming challenging and twice referee James Linington was seen discussing the state of play with both managers. Interesting the Whites captain Tom Cairney remained absent from any conversation suggesting that, perhaps, the midfielder was keen to get on with proceedings.

In first-half stoppage time Callum Harriott burst through a gap in the Fulham defence to hit a powerful shot from 20 yards that Button had to palm behind in order to keep the game goalless.

However, despite seeing the game through and allowing both sets of players to emerge for the second half with the conditions improving, the referee made the decision to call the game off although conditions seemed to have improved.

Both sets of fans made their anger clear, but their frustrations would have to travel back with them to west London.

Fulham: Button, Fredericks, Ream, Madl, Malone, McDonald, Cairney, Johansen, Piazon, Aluko, Ayite

Subs (not used): Bettinelli, Odoi, Parker, Smith, Sigurdsson, Christensen, Sessegnon

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/chris-martin-refuses-play-fulham-12388434

WhiteJC

Martin told to 'respect the contract'

Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted that Fulham will not agree to terminate Chris Martin's season-long loan and allow the striker to return to Derby County.

Martin pulled out of the Whites squad for Friday's game at Reading – which was abandoned at half-time because of fog – and has made it clear he wants to leave Craven Cottage and return to the East Midlands.

But Fulham head coach Jokanovic says his club expect Martin, who was brought in from Derby in August, to honour his loan contract.

The loan cannot be ended without the agreement of both clubs.

"I am not going to send him back to Derby. He is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract," Jokanovic said.

"We are not a train station. You can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves.

"I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham – but he's not going to play for Derby."

Jokanovic battled to sign Martin, 28, when the Serb was at odds with the Fulham hierarchy over the club's transfer policy.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-chris-martin-derby-county-jokanovic-row

WhiteJC

Mr Khan: Thank You

A statement from Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan following the abandonment of the Reading fixture.

"The decision to abandon tonight's match at halftime was perhaps disappointing but ultimately the right call. The safety of the players, officials and supporters from both sides is all that matters.

"To our Fulham supporters who bought our entire allotment of 3,000 tickets and made the journey despite the extreme conditions, I cannot thank you enough. I understand many of you encountered difficulty getting to Reading due to the fog, but pressed on and arrived in time for the start of the match. We all wanted to return with three points, but the main thing is a safe trip home.

"Again, my personal thanks. Your loyalty to Fulham is amazing."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/december/30/mr-khan-thank-you

WhiteJC

Chris Martin latest: See what the Fulham boss had to say about the Derby County striker

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted that Chris Martin will not be returning to Derby County in January.

Martin is on a season-long loan at Craven Cottage but has asked to return to the Rams.

The striker pulled out of Friday night's Sky Bet Championship fixture against Reading and told Fulham he had played his last game for the club, the Derby Telegraph understands.

The match at the Madejski Stadium was abandoned at half-time due to fog, with the score still 0-0.

Asked about Martin afterwards, Jokanovic said: "He made himself unavailable for today's game.

"He stopped in training but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

"We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger.

"I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract.

"We are not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham - but he's not going to play for Derby."

Martin was allowed to leave Derby by then-manager Nigel Pearson at the end of the summer transfer window.

Fulham have an option to buy the player, either in January or at the end of the campaign.

They are keen to keep hold of Martin but the Scotland international has now made his feelings clear.

It is understood that all three parties - the two clubs and the player - must agree if the 26-year-old is to be recalled.

Martin scored 61 goals in three seasons for the Rams after joining on a free transfer from Norwich.

During that time, he enjoyed success under Steve McClaren, who is now back for a second spell in charge of Derby.

Martin has netted seven times in 17 appearances for Fulham this term.

The Cottagers are back in action on Monday (January 2) when they play host to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/chris-martin-latest-see-what-the-fulham-boss-had-to-say-about-the-derby-county-striker/story-30020938-detail/story.html#pH4x5A4kp2XWRLfU.99

WhiteJC

Fulham striker on collision course with boss ahead of Albion clash

Chris Martin (red shirt) might not face Albion on Monday

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is at loggerheads with on-loan striker Chris Martin as they prepare to face Albion.

Jokanovic tonight accused Martin of giving himself an unscheduled day-off when his team had a match.

But he has told the Derby man there is no easy exit back to Pride Park.

The Seagulls visit Craven Cottage on Monday.

Martin missed the game at Reading, which was abandoned at half-time due to fog with the score still 0-0.

A media report earlier in the day suggested Martin wanted to return to parent club Derby.

Jokanovic said: "He made himself unavailable for today's game.

"We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us and he is going to respect the contract.

"We are not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham, but he's not going to play for Derby."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14995700.Fulham_striker_on_collision_course_with_boss_ahead_of_Albion_clash/

WhiteJC

Chris Martin: On-loan Fulham striker will not return to Derby early - Jokanovic

Chris Martin was not in Fulham's 18-man squad for Friday's trip to Reading

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has dismissed reports that striker Chris Martin could return early to Derby from his season-long loan at Craven Cottage.

Martin, 28, has scored seven goals in 17 appearances for Fulham in the Championship this term.

He "made himself unavailable" for Friday's abandoned game at Reading, but Jokanovic insisted he would stay.

"I'm not going to send him back to Derby - he's going to stay with us and respect the contract," said Jokanovic.

"He stopped in training, but I have information from the medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

He continued to BBC Radio London: "We're not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, we are the oldest London club.

"I don't know if he will play for Fulham, but I'm sure he's not going to play for Derby."

Earlier this month, Derby manager Steve McClaren said he was surprised Martin was allowed to leave the club under previous boss Nigel Pearson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38471921