Preston
1 - 1 Sheff Wed
Wolves
1 - 2 QPR
Brentford
0 - 0 Norwich

WhiteJC

Steve McClaren: Derby County boss wants Chris Martin back from Fulham loan

Chris Martin made six appearances under previous boss Nigel Pearson at Derby County this season before joining Fulham on loan in August

Derby manager Steve McClaren has said he wants Chris Martin to return early from his season-long loan with Fulham.

It comes after Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic dismissed reports that the striker would be released early, saying the club is "not a train station".

Jokanovic said Martin, 28, "made himself unavailable" for Friday's abandoned game at Reading

"If there is any possibility of getting him back, that would be great," McClaren told BBC Radio Derby.

"But that is between the two clubs. They have an agreement so we will have to wait and see. It is for the clubs to sort and for us managers to leave it well alone."

The Scotland international scored 43 goals in less than two seasons during McClaren's first spell in charge of the Rams. And the former England boss admits to being surprised that the player was allowed to leave under pervious boss Nigel Pearson.

"I've made it clear how I like Chris Martin," said McClaren. "If I had my choice when I first came in, he would still be here,"

Martin has scored seven goals in 17 appearances for Fulham in the Championship this term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38480749

WhiteJC

Fulham captain hopes fans get free travel to rearranged Reading game after match abandoned due to fog
The first half was played in difficult conditions and it was almost impossible to see the Eamonn Dolan stand from the opposite end of the pitch

Tom Cairney can understand the Fulham fans' frustration after their game at Reading was abandoned due to fog and hopes they can get to the Madejski Stadium for free for the rearranged game.

The first half was played in difficult conditions and it was almost impossible to see the Eamonn Dolan stand from the opposite end of the pitch.

The fog cleared at half time and, as of 10pm is perfectly visible, but referee James Linington, after consultation with his linesmen, decided he had seen enough and abandoned the contest.

Both sets of fans reacted with fury at the decision and Cairney has sympathy with the fans that travelled and the vast majority of Fulham's squad disagreed with the decision.

'Unplayable': Madejski Stadium pitch at 10pm

Cairney said: "I think it was something to do with the linesman not being able to see from one side of the pitch to the other.

"I can understand the fans' frustration and the players. It happens in football. It's one of those things that we've got to come here again and hopefully the fans can come back for free next time."

No date has yet been set for the rearranged game.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-captain-hopes-fans-free-12388601

WhiteJC

Fulham play hard-ball with Derby as Chris Martin attempts to cut short loan deal

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has vowed that Scotland striker Chris Martin will not be leaving the London club during the January transfer window.

The Beccles-born former Norwich City forward, 28, has reportedly said that he wants to cut short his season-long loan at Craven Cottage to return to parent club Derby.

He did not appear in this evening's Championship match at Reading, which was abandoned at half-time due to fog with the score at 0-0.

But Jokanovic said that Martin, scorer of seven goals in 23 appearances for Fulham this season, is going nowhere.

"He made himself unavailable for today's game," Jokanovic said. "He stopped in training but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

"We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby. He is going to stay with us and he is going to respect the contract.

"We are not a train station. You can't come in and out when you want. I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham but he's not going to play for Derby."

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/fulham_play_hard_ball_with_derby_as_chris_martin_attempts_to_cut_short_loan_deal_1_4833473

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic tells Chris Martin to 'respect contract' after refusing to travel to face Reading
Fulham striker Chris Martin is desperate for a move back to Derby County
28-year-old refused to travel to Reading for abandoned Championship game
Manager Slavisa Jokanovic has warned the striker Fulham are 'not a train station'
Friday's game at the Madejski Stadium was abandoned at half time due to fog

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has told Chris Martin to 'respect the contract' after the striker refused to travel to Reading and demanded his season-long loan be terminated.

The 28-year-old is desperate to go back to Derby and stayed at home as the Championship tie was abandoned at half-time due to thick fog at the Madejski Stadium.

Jokanovic told Martin, who is their top scorer with seven goals in 11 games, that Fulham are 'not a train station' and he cannot come and go as he pleases.

Slavisa Jokanovic instructs his Fulham players during the abandoned game with Reading

Martin has scored seven goals in 11 matches this season but he snubbed his team-mates

The officials decided that the conditions were not good enough to continue at half-time

Lucas Piazon was back at the Madejski Stadium for Fulham after a loan spell with Reading

'He made himself unavailable for today's game,' Jokanovic said. 'He stopped in training, but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

'We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract.

'We are not a train station, you cannot come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham, but he' s not going to play for Derby.'

It was 0-0 at half-time between Reading and Fulham on Friday night when the officials decided that the conditions were not good enough to continue.

Jokanovic is unhappy at the behaviour of Chris Martin following his decision to stay at home

Yann Kermorgant battles with Fulham's Tim Ream in a game that will need to be rearranged

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4077500/Fulham-manager-Slavisa-Jokanovic-tells-Chris-Martin-respect-contract-refusing-travel-face-Reading.html#ixzz4UUsIBOk8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham Match Abandoned As Fog Clears

A moment of crass stupidity and gross incompetence by referee James Linington ruined an evening's entertainment for thousands of football fans at the Madejski Stadium this evening. Before setting off on my sixty mile journey to this evening's game I took the precaution of checking the weather forecast. The BBC website predicted thick fog around 8.00 p.m. clearing quickly around 9.00 p.m. It would appear referee Linington failed to consider the weather forecast as an indicator of how the weather might change during the course of the game. Regardless of this oversight he allowed the game to begin as the fog rolled in. Conditions worsened as the game progressed, but not sufficiently to warrant abandonment. As half time approached, as predicted, the fog began to lift, and when the second half was due to begin there was little evidence of any fog anywhere - apart from in the space between Mr Linington's ears!

Without bothering to step out onto pitch he decided to abandon the game on the basis of his assistants' opinion that the other side of the pitch was not visible thereby making it difficult to make accurate decisions. (They seemed to be having just as much difficulty spotting incidents, such as a blatant tug on Kermorgant's arm in the penalty area as he moved towards the ball, occurring right under their nose. As far as I was aware the referee should allow the game to continue as long as he is able to see both goals from the centre of the pitch. Had he bothered to check before he made his absurd decision, he would have found visibility more than adequate to see across the pitch as thousands of spectators would verify. The stadium announcer declared the fog to be "worse outside the ground" which made all the more galling as we all queued in perfect visibility to leave the car park which for some reason took much linger that usual. The decision to abandon the game after everyone had purchased their half time refreshment and had settled down in their seats for the second half. As Mr Linington is employed by the Football League they should compensate the spectators (liable due to referee's error!)

In spite of the conditions the first half was keenly contested. Fulham may have had slightly more possession but Reading created the two best chances. McCleary beat the offside trap with a superbly timed run but a poor touch hampered his chances of making the most of the opportunity. He still managed to get his shot away but by then Bettinelli had set himself and turned the ball wide for a corner. McCleary should have scored but he usually finishes more convincingly when he does not have some much time to make his decision about how to beat the 'keeper. There second effort came in stoppage time and was a brilliant solo effort from Harriot who wriggled past lunging defenders to unleash a thunderbolt which Bettinelli saved at full stretch. Sadly he put so much into his shot he appeared to have torn his hamstring and limped off for what looks like being a lengthy lay off.

Both teams played well in spite of being closed down very quickly all over the pitch with Fulham edging control of midfield. Kelly in no way shirked a challenge but was simply overpowered by the Fulham's physical presence. In view of the recent drubbing at Craven Cottage Jaap Stam's team had a much more secure look about them - apart the left side where the visitors seemed to get behind the defence with alarming regularity. (This also happened in the game on Boxing Day.) Also worth noting the absence of Moore in the heavy away defeat was significant. He was excellent again this evening. His full blooded challenge on Aluko was worthy of a Tackle of the Season Award.

It is hard to say which way the result might have gone but it was cracking first half with two very good sides going at each other with some intensity. It promised to be an even better second half but thanks to Mr Linington it did not happen. Fulham looked as good as any team I have seen in this league this season and I am looking forward to the re-arranged fixture whenever that may be. So at the mid-point in the season the Royals find themselves in third place in the table. It looks like being a happy new year for their fans.

- See more at: http://www.royals.org/news/611/Fulham_Match_Abandoned_As_Fog_Clears#sthash.KFVB61eO.dpuf

WhiteJC

Could Fulham Lose Jokanovic?

The answer is yes if the Spanish side Malaga have their way.

Our good friends over at Sky Sports, are suggesting that Malaga view Jokanovic as the perfect replacement for the axed Juande Ramos.

Ramos, the former Tottenham Hotspur manager, was axed after Malaga went five games without a win and crashed out of the Copa del Rey to a second division side.

With Jokanovic`s contract expiring in May, the Spanish club are hoping to snare their man.

With our source also reporting that Fulham and Jokanovic are set to engage in contract talks, we can only hope an agreement is reached that keeps Jokanovic at Craven Cottage and the club heading in the right direction.

Here at Vital Fulham we`d be delighted to hear your thoughts on the subject matter of this article.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=473990#ixzz4UUtArJBC

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Looking Up - Top Six & What's to come in January

A lot has happened since my last article as Fulham look to push on for a top six finish.

Despite dropping points against Wolves, Fulham have been relatively successful in the last month and with their performances improving every week, they are slowly being recognised as potential promotion candidates this season.

First of all, we have seen a huge improvement in our midfield with Kevin McDonald, Stefan Johansen and Tom Cairney operating incredibly well together. By having McDonald and Johansen paired together, it allows Cairney the freedom to operate more centrally and play a more advanced role - a position he has flourished in. Many of the players should look up Stefan Johansen for how much he has achieved in such a short time, and is an inspiration to anyone on the fringe of the starting eleven. Despite the Norwegian being substituted in the first half of his debut at Fulham, he has adapted his game to suit the needs of Head Coach, Slavisa Jokanovic and has cemented his place in the starting eleven, picking up a number of man of the match awards along the way too.

Johansen's emergence is the same journey that the likes of Jozabed and Neeskens Kebano will embark on shortly – both of which have failed to make an impact since joining. With the January transfer window around the corner, I'm hoping Jozabed and Kebano prove their worth as their combined fees were around £8m – a hefty percentage of our total spend this summer and the fans still have high hopes for both midfielders.

But, with the January transfer window just around the corner it seems that the rumour mill is in full flow and will cause more disruption than benefit to Jokanovic's men, with loanee Chris Martin taking the headlines already. The Scottish forward pulled out of the match-day squad this evening for our fixture again Reading, despite being fit enough to play. It seems the player is/was reportedly demanding a return to Derby County next month.

While this certainly shocked many fans, it appears that Derby County have offered the forward a new contract – a bizarre set of events for sure. It's no secret that McClaren disapproved of the loan deal to bring Martin to the Cottage, but to offer a player who is out on loan (with a view to permanent) a new long-term deal is surprising, and more of disruptive act than anything else. Interestingly so, Martin had previously spoken highly of his time at Fulham and playing under Slavisa Jokanovic, so wanting to suddenly leave the club and return to Derby has been a bombshell for everyone. I'd expect this fiasco to be wrapped up in the next two weeks, as I'd believe this is more his agent trying to force Fulham to activate the permanent transfer option in January rather than waiting until next summer, so the player has more stability in his personal life and can make long-term arrangements about moving his family to the capital or not. Slavisa hasn't hidden his admiration of the forward and now that Mike Rigg has left the club, the Serbian may attempt to force the board into securing a permanent move for Martin next month rather than at the end of the season.

Personally, I'd like to see Martin stay at the club and I feel that after a short time settling in at the club, he's proved to be the missing ingredient for Slav's eleven. I'd like to see Martin as a stronger version of Ross McCormack, due to his ability to create goals for others as well as being a clinical finisher, but he has a bigger and more physical side to the game that McCormack lacked in order to play the lone striker role. While it remains uncertain as to what the future holds for the club and player, it will be interesting to see how this pans out, especially as Martin was not wanted by the previous Derby manager, Nigel Pearson and Slavisa put his faith in him and gave him a chance to play regularly.

On the other hand, if Martin is banished to the reserves or returns to Derby, Fulham will be in the market for another forward. There has already been talk of Cauley Woodrow joining Ipswich Town on loan, while a loan exit seems possible for Matt Smith too. Fulham have continued to track the progress of Eibar forward, Sergi Enrich who would be a like for like replacement for Martin should his time at the Cottage end sourly. Sergi Enrich would still be a risk at around £4.5m, considering he hasn't played in this division before, but he is a player that Slavisa wanted in the summer, and with the club still interested in a deal I wouldn't be too surprised if Enrich was the plan B to Martin after all. Fulham have also been linked with a move for Grimsby Town forward, Omar Bogle. The free-scoring striker seems to be the complete package in terms of size and speed, but it would be a huge jump up in competition if the Grimsby Town hot-shot was expected to fit straight into the side in the Championship. Not only that, but Nottingham Forest have tracked the forward heavily in recent weeks and an approach from them is more than likely when the window opens.

Personally, I was hoping for Marcus Bettinelli to be recalled to the side over the last few weeks, but this has materialised with Slavisa sticking with David Button, despite a number of mistakes. This suggests that Button will be the number one goalkeeper for the season and I'd assume Bettinelli or Joronen will leave the club on loan for the second half of the season to stay match-fit.

There has been some interest in securing some defensive reinforcements after Tomas Kalas suffered an injury, but no names have been mentioned. But, in attack there has been talk of an extension to the loan spell of Chelsea loanee, Lucas Piazon until the end of the season, which I'd expect to be done early in January. In an ideal world, Fulham would be able to sign both Piazon and Kalas on a permanent deal in the summer, but Chelsea signed Kalas for £5m a number of years ago, and after his development in English football, they would be looking for a sizeable profit which could force him out of our price-range. Nevertheless, both players are looking for a permanent club, and with Fulham just a stone's throw away from their current clubs, we could be the preferred option.

While the focus will be on player recruitment next month, it must be noted that the club have opened contract talks with manager, Slavisa Jokanovic and his coaches. Over the past 12 months with him in charge, Fulham have been revitalised and have slowly gained an identity. With Malaga looking to hire Slavisa for next season, signing Slavisa to a long-term deal in January could be our best business mid-season for a very long time. Now that Mike Rigg has left the club, I'd hope that Slavisa gets the power in the transfer market that he desires and signs a new deal. With talks already starting over a new deal, let's hope we hear good news about an extension very soon.

Finally, I'd just like to thank everyone for their ongoing support of the Craven Corner and I honestly cannot believe how much it has grown in 2016. I honestly couldn't have done it without you and the opportunity to blog and write about the team I support is a true honour.

The next article of 'The Craven Corner' will appear in the match-day programme against Brighton. For those attending, please make your voices heard and back the players as much as you can. If we can secure 3 points against Brighton, our push for the top six could become even stronger.

Let's hope 2017 is a successful year, and Fulham can mount a serious promotion push.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2016/12/31/14132248/the-craven-corner-looking-up-top-six-whats-to-come-in-january

WhiteJC

Derby boss likely to anger Fulham over latest Chris Martin comments
Rams boss believes there is a chance of getting Whites hitman back - even after Craven Cottage makes it plain he's going nowhere

Derby boss Steve McClaren has stoked the fires over the Chris Martin row.

The on-loan Fulham forward downed tools before the abandoned game at Reading last night when all was made plain he wanted a return to his parent club.

Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic responded by suggesting the Scotland international will twiddle his thumbs in west London rather than get his own way.

All three parties, Derby, Fulham and Martin, agreed a watertight deal at the beginning of the season the player would only return to the Rams if all three agreed.

Refusal: Chris Martin

Fulham do not, but McClaren has pushed the envelope when he spoke to BBC Radio Derby about the 'possibility' of seeing in-form Martin back at Pride Park.

"I've made it clear that I like Chris Martin and if there's any possibility that we can get him back, then that's great. We just have to wait and see," McClaren said.

"From day one I've made my feelings on Chrissy clear. It's now up to the two clubs to sort that one out and for us managers to stay out of.

"The (transfer) window isn't open yet. There is a lot of speculation and people don't know the full extent of what is about to happen."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-boss-set-anger-fulham-12390570

WhiteJC

Ipswich Town reportedly close to signing strikers Danny Ward and Cauley Woodrow from Rotherham and Fulham

Ipswich Town are reportedly close to signing strikers Danny Ward and Cauley Woodrow from fellow Championship clubs Rotherham and Fulham respectively ahead of the transfer window opening tomorrow.

Fulham's Cauley Woodrow (right) holds off Derby's Ryan Shotton (left)

Ward, 26, has scored nine goals for the rock-bottom Millers so far this season – including two in the 2-2 draw at Portman Road back in October. He is set to be out-of-contract in the summer and it's understood a fee of around £500,000 will land him mid-season.

The Bradford-born failed to make a breakthrough at Bolton before completing a £1m switch to Huddersfield in 2011. A strong, left-sided centre-forward who has been targeted by Mick McCarthy before, he will be seen as an ideal replacement for the recently sold target man Daryl Murphy.

Town are also believed to be keen on signing Woodrow, 22, on a permanent basis rather than a loan. The former England Under-21 international dropped into non-league football with Buckhurst Hill and Luton after being released by Tottenham before joining Fulham for a six-figure fee in 2011.

The 6ft 3in striker has scored 12 goals in 28 starts and 37 substitute appearances for the Cottagers. Currently out-of-favour, his last start was in an EFL Cup tie against Bristol City back in September.

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/ipswich_town_reportedly_close_to_signing_strikers_danny_ward_and_cauley_woodrow_from_rotherham_and_fulham_1_4833738

WhiteJC

Why Jokanovic should stand firm on Chris Martin
by DAN on DECEMBER 31, 2016

Just when Fulham's season was starting to click into gear, along comes a striking striker to threaten Slavisa Jokanovic's best laid plans. The news that Chris Martin, who only a few weeks ago was making encouraging noises about turning his loan from Derby into a permanent move, has made himself unavailable for selection as he wants to return to his parent club was not what Fulham would have wanted heading into arguably their two most important matches of the season.

After a slow start at Craven Cottage, Martin's importance to the team that Jokanovic has been gradually building can't be overstated. He has contributed goals but, more importantly, has offered a physical presence to occupy defenders and bring his team-mates into play. Rather like Bobby Zamora in 2010, the Scottish international has become a focal point the team can depend on – and the way he has popped up with crucial goals has sparked Fulham's push towards the play-off places.

The sorry saga illustrates the extent of player power in the modern game. Martin clearly thinks that by downing tools he can succeed in riding himself of what he now feels is a burdensome contract – and return to Derby, thereby boosting one of Fulham's promotion rivals and breaching the terms of a deal agreed back in August by all three parties. Just because he doesn't feel like staying in London – for whatever reason – is no justification for breaching his contract and it was good to see a passionate Slavisa Jokanovic, clearly feeling wronged by a player he has put a lot of trust in, aggressively defending Fulham's position in his interviews last night after the ridiculous abandonment of our game at Reading.

Perhaps due to Jokanovic's unique brand of English, the Serbian head coach comes up with some especially memorable phrases. The latest of which came in the midst of a discussion about Martin's desire to return to Derby, when he insisted that 'this is not a train station' because players couldn't come and go as they pleased. It was an aggrieved man who spoke about Fulham's status as London's oldest professional football club and the fact that they deserved the respect of a player they had offered a significant opportunity to. Jokanovic, who might also be looking for serious backing from the Fulham board in January in light of Malaga's overtures, doesn't look like the kind of man you would want to make angry – or the sort of unassuming gentleman who would have reacted favourably to Martin knocking on his door and requesting the annulment of the deal.

The simple facts of the matter are that Fulham have paid a substantial fee – believed to be around £2m – to take Martin, who had reportedly led the player revolt against Nigel Pearson at Derby, on a season-long loan. Under the terms of loan transfers ratified by the EFL clubs in the summer, any revocation of that arrangement would need to have the full agreement of Fulham, Derby County and the player himself. Therefore, Fulham hold the all the cards either. They clearly have plenty to lose – especially as Jokanovic was seeking to strengthen his striking options even before Martin decided he'd rather be somewhere else – but a bit of hardball won't go amiss here.

Nobody will have been particularly impressed by Steve McClaren's comments after Derby's fixture this afternoon. He laughably managed to keep a straight face when insisting that both 'managers should stay out' of the situation before telling BBC Radio Derby just how much he'd want Martin back in the Midlands. You can certainly see why the Rams would want a player of Martin's pedigree back at the club to spearhead their own promotion push – but only serves the underline their stupidity in agreeing to loan him out in the first place.

Usually players get their way in these situations. Nobody will be all that surprised if Martin finds his way back to the IPro Stadium before too long – but Fulham must put their own needs first. Backing the head coach who has worked wonders to have his side in with a realistic chance of making the play-offs after a radical overhaul of the squad in the summer is now essential. That means Jokanovic needs to be given every opportunity to bring in strikers who will fit his system and offer Fulham the best chance of making the top six – and only when those players are fit and firing should Martin's return to Derby be countenanced.

Sticking to your guns will be tough, but there's an unconsidered upside to all of the turmoil. The presence of more than 3,000 Fulham fans at the Madjeski Stadium, braving the cold and the fog, showed just how much of a feelgood factor around the club at the moment. Rather than tearing things about, Martin's stance will bring an already close-knit squad together – and the supporters will rally behind a club standing in sync with their outspoken head coach. Should Jokanovic get what he wants during January, there's every chance Fulham fans could be looking at the moment Martin forced the issue as a pivotal one in the club's promotion push.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/12/why-jokanovic-should-stand-firm-on-chris-martin/

bobby01

I guess it was foggier than the royals reporter thought, he had betts in goal. Some good reads here today, happy new year to all. Just sign up joka as the first and foremost business.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.