watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (02/01/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 02, 2017, 08:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Derby County player Chris Martin and the Fulham situation discussed among the nationals

Derby County player Chris Martin, who is on a season-long loan with the Rams' Championship rivals, Fulham, is the subject of much debate and discussions among the national newspapers and websites this weekend.

The Scotland international pulled out of Friday night's Sky Bet Championship fixture against Reading and told Fulham he had played his last game for the club, the Derby Telegraph understands.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted that Martin will not be returning to Derby in January but McClaren would like to see him back at Pride Park Stadium.

According to the Guardian, Jokanovic is a wanted man but the Martin situation could be distracting.

It said: "La Liga side Málaga have made the Serbian, who is out of contract in the summer, their No1 target. But first, Jokanovic has other things to deal with, like keeping on-loan Derby County striker Chris Martin, who refused to play against Reading on Friday night, by his side."

Meanwhile, talksport.com is reporting how Jokanovic has vowed that Martin will not be leaving the London club during the January transfer window.

Their headline reads: "Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic blasts on-loan striker Chris Martin after Reading no-show and warns he will block Derby return".

Sky Sports are focusing on Steve McClaren's disappointment that Martin was not there when he returned to the club.

And HITC Sport have examined Martin's departure in the first place as it describes Derby's "half-season of two halves at the iPro". It said: "Derby's decision to allow Chris Martin, the club's top scorer for the last three campaigns, to leave for Fulham on Deadline Day raised eyebrows at the time and, with The Rams boasting the worst goalscoring record in the top half, hindsight hardly helps make it appear any more sensible."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-player-chris-martin-and-the-fulham-situation-discussed-among-the-nationals/story-30023087-detail/story.html#ZcRBM54XZXSC6s20.99

WhiteJC

Fulham goalkeeper wants the full facts regarding Derby loanee's no show
The Derby loanee pulled out of the squad ahead of the game and is keen to return to the Rams

Back in the groove: Chris Martin

David Button admitted he is not sure what is going on after Fulham striker Chris Martin refused to play against Reading.

The Derby loanee pulled out of the squad ahead of the game and is keen to return to the Rams.

And Button, who was part of a Brentford squad that saw James Tarkowski go on strike, wants to see the full story.

"It's nothing to do with me. I didn't really know much about it. You want people to show they're committed so I don't know what's gone on," he said.

"Until we get the full story it's hard to say as we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes. He's got his reasons but it's one of those things you get on with."

(Photo: Get Reading)

Slavisa Jokanovic stated he had no intention of strengthening a Derby side that have won eight of their last nine games and sit three points above Fulham in the table.

The Fulham boss said: "He stopped in training, but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

"We need to check this situation but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract."

Derby boss McClaren has pushed the envelope when he spoke to BBC Radio Derby about the 'possibility' of seeing in-form Martin back at Pride Park.

"I've made it clear that I like Chris Martin and if there's any possibility that we can get him back, then that's great. We just have to wait and see," McClaren said.

"From day one I've made my feelings on Chrissy clear. It's now up to the two clubs to sort that one out and for us managers to stay out of.

"The (transfer) window isn't open yet. There is a lot of speculation and people don't know the full extent of what is about to happen."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-goalkeeper-wants-full-facts-12390990

WhiteJC

Will Derby County boss Steve McClaren's comments on Chris Martin anger Fulham?

Derby County manager Steve McClaren's comments about the Chris Martin saga are "likely to anger Fulham", according to the news outlet which regularly covers the action at Craven Cottage.

According to GetWestLondon, McClaren has "stoked the fires over the Chris Martin row", as Fulham do not want the 28-year-old striker to return to the Rams.

The Scotland international pulled out of Friday night's Sky Bet Championship fixture against Reading and told Fulham he had played his last match for the club, the Derby Telegraph understands.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted that Martin will not be returning to Derby in January but McClaren would like to see him back at Pride Park Stadium.

McClaren told BBC Radio Derby at the weekend: "I've made it clear that I like Chris Martin and if there's any possibility that we can get him back, then that's great. We just have to wait and see. From day one I've made my feelings on Chrissy clear. It's now up to the two clubs to sort that one out and for us managers to stay out of.

"The (transfer) window isn't open yet. There is a lot of speculation and people don't know the full extent of what is about to happen."

In one of their articles about the Martin situation, GetWestLondon said: "Derby boss Steve McClaren has stoked the fires over the Chris Martin row.

"All three parties, Derby, Fulham and Martin, agreed a watertight deal at the beginning of the season the player would only return to the Rams if all three agreed.

"Fulham do not, but McClaren has pushed the envelope when he spoke to BBC Radio Derby about the 'possibility' of seeing in-form Martin back at Pride Park."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/will-derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-s-comments-on-chris-martin-anger-fulham/story-30023149-detail/story.html#r1ci6l9oColFqKed.99

WhiteJC

Fulham v Brighton & Hove Albion

MON, 02 JAN 2017CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Craven Cottage

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live, BBC Radio London and BBC Sussex; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Chris Martin scored on his last appearance for Fulham on Boxing Day

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic must decide whether to include Chris Martin in his squad with the on-loan forward's future at the club in doubt.

Martin pulled out of the side for the abandoned game at Reading and parent club Derby County want him to return.

Brighton will be without Sebastien Pocognoli as the Belgian defender recovers from a slight knock.

Kazenga LuaLua will serve the third game of his four-match ban while Beram Kayal and Liam Rosenior are out.

MATCH FACTS
Fulham have lost their last two home league games against Brighton, conceding two goals in each match.
Brighton have won their last four league games against Fulham, including coming from behind to claim a 2-1 victory in November this season.
The Whites are unbeaten in their last six home league games - they have not managed seven since April 2011.
Brighton have lost just one of their last 18 away league games (excluding play-offs), winning 11 and drawing six.
The Seagulls have kept a clean sheet in five of their last eight away contests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38433191

WhiteJC

Sheffield United make move for Fulham forward Williams

HITC Sport understands Sheffield United to land Wales international forward.

Fulham are set to recall forward George Williams from his loan spell at MK Dons and loan him out to Sheffield United, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Williams is currently on a season-long loan at MK Dons after joining the club in the summer from Fulham, but the loan spell at Stadium mk is set to be cut short to allow the Wales international to make the move to Sheffield United.

The 21-year-old has started just seven games for MK Dons since joining the club on loan with his seven other appearances coming off the bench.

Williams, who made his debut for Fulham in August 2014, is highly regarded at Craven Cottage, but he finds himself down the pecking order in Slavisa Jokanovic's first-team plans.

Fulham are ready to send him out on loan again for the second half of the season and sources have told HITC Sport that Sheffield United are poised to land Williams.

United boss Chris Wilder has made a move to bring the versatile forward to Bramall Lane to bolster his attacking options as he looks to keep his side's bid for promotion on track.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/01/sheffield-united-make-move-for-fulham-forward-williams/

WhiteJC

Button waits for Martin clarity
by DAN on JANUARY 1, 2017

David Button has admitted he is still in the dark about Chris Martin's future after the Scottish international refused to line up for Fulham against Reading on Friday.

The on-loan striker has told Fulham that he wishes to return to Derby County despite featuring regularly for Slavisa Jokanovic's side since making the temporary switch to Craven Cottage at the end of August. Jokanovic has insisted that the player remains at Fulham as the clubs had agreed a season-long loan and, in passionate comments after Friday night's game at the Madjeski Stadium was abandoned, urged the forward to show his current club some more respect.

Button told GetWestLondon after the early abandonment that he knew very little about the situation:

It's nothing to do with me. I didn't really know much about it. You want people to show they're committed so I don't know what's gone on. Until we get the full story it's hard to say as we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes. He's got his reasons but it's one of those things you get on with.

It seems unlikely that Martin will feature in tomorrow afternoon's home clash with promotion chasing Brighton and Hove Albion tomorrow so that could lead to another opportunity up front for Brazilian forward Lucas Piazon, who is currently on loan from Chelsea.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/button-waits-for-martin-clarity/

WhiteJC

Blades in pole position to land Williams

Sheffield United are in pole position to take Welsh international winger George Williams on loan from Fulham for the second half of the season, according to a report from Here Is The City this afternoon.

The Championship club have already cut short Williams' loan spell at MK Dons after the League One outfit had decided not to utilise the 21 year-old in recent weeks. Williams has started just seven games since joining MK Dons earlier in the season and made only seven further appearances off the bench – and the club, who had initially nurtured his talent before selling Williams to Fulham in 2012. were reportedly in conflict with the player about his decision to join up with Chris Coleman's squad for international duty in November.

Fulham are eager to give a player they still rate highly regular game time and were always planning to find a more appropriate place for Williams to gain further first-team experience in January. Sheffield United had shown an interest in the winger earlier in the season and Blades boss Chris Wilder views the Welsh wide man as a key acquisition as United look to sustain their promotion push that saw them climb to the top of League One yesterday afternoon.

The 5ft 10in winger was part of the Fulham Under 18 side that reached the FA Youth Cup final in 2014 and made his senior debut for the Whites against Millwall in August 2014, before breaking into the first team under Kit Symons. Williams has made 17 senior appearances for Fulham and also enjoyed a successful loan spell with Gillingham last year.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/blades-in-pole-position-to-land-williams/

WhiteJC

Fog farce still doesn't make sense

I haven't had the chance to pen any words about the abandonment of Fulham's Friday night game at Reading due to a lack of visibility caused by fog until now. That's probably a good thing because at the time the decision was made I was fuming – and that palpable sense of anger hasn't really dissipated over the weekend. Referee James Linington, who has already raised Fulham eyebrows with the award of a very generous penalty to Norwich City at Craven Cottage earlier this season, has a fair bit to answer for.

There was a more than reasonable case to have called the game off well before the kick off. Visibility was very poor when I arrived at Reading in  the early afternoon – and was still pretty troubling by the time everybody reached the Madjeski Stadium before kick off. It was certainly true that the visiting fans were struggling to see the Reading goal that Fulham attacked with some considerable vigour in the first period – what happened when Ryan Fredericks whipped into a succession of dangerous crosses from the right remains shrouded in mystery.

For whatever reason, Mr. Linington didn't take the decision to abandon the contest during the first half. He consulted on a number of occasions with Reading's Chris Gunter – and twice stopped play to discuss matters with both benches, but continued until half time. That's where the decision making becomes particularly perverse. According to the press reports following the abandonment, the decision was due to one of Mr. Linington's assistant referees being unable to see the entire width of the pitch. Such a problem would constitute grounds for an immediate abandonment – but since the officials didn't emerge onto the field following the half-time break, they could have made no assessment of the conditions at the start of the second half. If an assistant was complaining about his ability to see proceedings during the first half, the match should have been stopped there and then.

The sense of disbelief wasn't confined to the supporters. You could see the Fulham players were eager to play on from the way they emerged from the tunnel. The disappointment etched on Michael Madl's face when he turned back towards the bench with a look of disgust told everyone that no further action was to take place. Had the officials taken the time to view conditions after the interval, they would have realised that any lingering fog was lifting – and the sight of substitutes warming down in perfectly passable conditions was galling. Even more frustratingly, due to the EFL's terms of conditions, supporters will not be eligible for a full refund as they saw 45 minutes. That's before you consider the travel costs of fans who would have travelled at a busy time of year.

Fulham did at least make a few young supporters' days as Scott Malone, Stefan Johansen and Ryan Fredericks headed to the away supporters and threw them their shirts. For the rest of us, frustration was the predominant emotion. Not just because of the abandonment, but the loss of what appeared an intriguing contest – and the fact that the referee had taken the easy option of robbing the paying public of their night's football whilst sat in the warmth of a dressing room.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/fog-farce-still-doesnt-make-sense/

WhiteJC

Reading FC opinion: The referee was wrong to call off the game against Fulham
Clive Baskerville argues more of an effort should have been made to continue the game

When someone says to me "I haven't got the foggiest," in the future, I will always remember back to Reading's last game of 2016 .

Having spent a fair bit of that day driving around in thick fog in east Berkshire, I fully expected to turn on the news and hear that Royals' home Championship match with Fulham was postponed .

Even when I set off, just after 6pm for Madejski Stadium, the roads seemed quiet, but sprinkled with cars sporting turned on fog lamps for extra visibility.

However, as I approached Reading the fog began to thin. From Shinfield through to Lower Whitley visibility was significantly better.

At Madejski Stadium itself, and in the car park, things were a bit worse, but news that the fog was due to lift later in the evening suggested we might get a full game.

Looking out over the ground before kick-off it was still pretty good, although I could feel a slight breeze getting up.

This, I thought, was a good sign. The breeze would help to disperse the fog a bit quicker.

However, rather than disperse, the fog rather eerily spilled into the stadium and started to encroach onto the playing area bathing some parts of the ground with a milky, white cloak. The area that seemed particularly bad was the far corner - where the East and North Stands meet. When players ran into that sector they became almost invisible for those of us in the press gallery.

I'm sure it was much the same for others in the ground, but the fog was not uniform or consistent.

Some parts of the ground - particularly the away end - stayed fairly clear.

Match action (Photo: Get Reading)

At times, I expected referee James Linington to call a temporary halt to the game to allow the mist to disperse. However, having reached half-time, the general feeling was: 'hopefully we've seen the worst of it, let's see if things improve after the break'. Few could have expected what was to follow.

As we filed out for the start of the second half, it was good to see the pitch looking a lot clearer.

Yet, within seconds of sitting back down, we were greeted with the news that the match had been abandoned and that we should drive carefully as we made our way home.

It was not surprising some fans started singing you 'don't know what you're doing' as a reaction to this news. They were being asked to leave a ground where all sides were clearly visible and where the worst, indeed, seemed to be over.

It's true that about half an hour later the fog did thicken, but the visibility was still okay and the mist was at least uniform.

By the time I left the ground, the immediate precincts and neighbouring roads were still shrouded in mist, but once I got down to the Basingstoke Road it was clear again - as good as it had been all day.

I looked at my watch and thought the game should just about be finishing now as I drove through largely empty roads.

Whether the match officials took a local weather forecast into account when coming to their decision is a moot point.

They had to make their decision based on what was in front of them.

If they had played on and the fog had worsened, some would have said they should have called it off earlier.

However, I can't help feeling an error was made on several fronts.

Having started the game and with a decent derby crowd of some 20,000 in the ground , every effort should have been made to play the full 90 minutes.

I know the officials were worried , quite rightly, that they may have missed a key incident in poor visibility.

But, had they tried to restart the game after half-time, I'm sure no one would have condemned them.

Most supporters hadn't far to go home and few would be working the next day, so even if there were a couple of hold-ups, I'm sure the game could have reached a finish by 10pm or just after at the latest.

However, we'll never know. That option, it seems, was not considered.

What I did see of the game was fascinating - a sort of glimmers in the mist!

Reading had the three best chances of a fairly open match.

They did their best to press Fulham into errors, although the Londoners did play a high tempo passing game that caused Royals some problems - particularly when Ryan Fredericks rampaged down the right.

Yet, for all their possession and promising approach work, Fulham never really tested Ali Al-Habsi in the Reading goal.

The Oman international could hardly have wished for a less stressful 35th birthday.

Striker Yann Kermorgant set up Garath McCleary for Royals' first clear opportunity. But a slight bobble caused McCleary to check his stride and his angled shot was turned away by David Button.

Kermorgant then had a header straight at Button before Callum Harriott had the best attempt just before the break. His jink between two players set up a strike on goal from the edge of the box that Button did well to touch over.

In the action of shooting, Harriott appeared to stretch a hamstring and was replaced by Paul McShane, who had been initially left on the bench with a hand injury.

What promised to be an interesting second half was ultimately cut short before it occurred.

If anyone asks me the reason, I'll have to reply: "I haven't got the foggiest."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/reading-fc-opinion-referee-wrong-12392761

WhiteJC

Albion spared a meeting with nemesis Chris Martin

ALBION nemesis Chris Martin will not be facing them for Fulham tomorrow as a row over his future rumbles on.

The Scottish international striker, on loan at Craven Cottage from Derby for the season, made himself unavailable for Friday's fog abandonment at Reading.

Steve McClaren, who took over at Derby after the loan deal had been arranged, is keen to have him back at the iPro Stadium.

McClaren said: "I've made it clear that I like Chris and if there's any possibility that we can get him back, then that's great. We just have to wait and see."

Martin, a regular goalscorer against Albion for Derby, will not be returning to the East Midlands according to Fulham.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic said: "He made himself unavailable (Reading). He stopped in training, but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

"We need to check this situation, but I don't have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract.

"We are not a train station, you can't come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don't know if he's going to play for Fulham, but he's not going to play for Derby.

"We are London's oldest Club. We need to be treated with respect."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14997174.Albion_spared_a_meeting_with_nemesis_Martin/

WhiteJC

Leganes line up loan for Jozabed

La Liga outfit CD Leganes could be about to offer out-of-favour Jozabed a way out of Fulham by tabling a loan offer for the Spanish midfielder during the January transfer window, according to a Sky Sports report tonight.

The channel's Revista platform suggests that Leganes, currently sitting sixteenth in the Spanish top flight, are considering offering to take Jozabed back to his homeland for the remainder of the season just five months after he arrived at Craven Cottage from Rayo Vallecano. The 25 year-old has drifted out of Slavisa Jokanovic's first team thoughts in recent weeks – although Fulham are believed to be keen on retaining the gifted passer in case injuries disrupt their first choice midfield.

Jozabed has made just eight first team appearances for Fulham since his August switch from Vallecano and hasn't featured for the first team since the 2-1 defeat by QPR in October. He has been included in the Under-23's Premier League 2 programme over the last couple of months, alongside several fellow midfielders with first team experience like Lasse Vigen Christensen and Ryan Tunnicliffe. Jokanovic is known to be a particular admirer of Jozabed's range of passing and ability to influence a game but believes he needs more time to adjust to the increased physicality of Championship football.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/leganes-line-up-loan-for-jozabed/

WhiteJC

Fulham ready to offload midfielder flop back to La Liga

La Liga side Leganes have entered talks with Championship side Fulham over the possible loan signing of midfielder Jozabed Sanchez. Sky Sports understands that the Spanish club are hoping to conclude a temporary deal for the 25-year-old, who has only made eight appearances since moving to Craven Cottage in August.

His last match for the Whites came in the October 1st home defeat to Queens Park Rangers and has not even been named as a substitute in that period as well. With him falling out of favour, head coach Slavisa Jokanovic is happy to let the player leave to free open a space in his squad to add more new faces.

Fulham are firmly in a promotion race and are only a few points off the play-off positions. The Serb is keen on bringing a centre back, midfielder, winger and a striker into the club this month.

It is no surprise that Jozabed is in fact attracting interest from his native homeland as that is ultimately where he has played his best football in his career. It was his impressive spell at Rayo Vallecano that attracted the attentions of Jokanovic, who paid an undisclosed fee for the attacking midfielder. Prior to this he has played for clubs such as Jaen, Ponferradina and also came through the ranks with Sevilla.

http://the72.co.uk/70817/leganes-keen-on-fulham-midfielder/

WhiteJC

Boss warns Brighton and Hove Albion risk defeat at Fulham if they play like they did at Birmingham

Albion will have to raise their game away from the Amex to avoid launching the New Year with a rare defeat.

That is the warning from manager Chris Hughton as the second-placed Seagulls head to Fulham.

An unbeaten 17-match run in the Championship, eight of them away from home since losing at leaders Newcastle at the end of August, faces a stiff examination against in-form Fulham, undefeated for five games themselves and within five points of the play-offs.

Hughton believes his team cannot afford a repeat of their last away display, even though they ended up winning it with a late comeback.

He said: "Fortunately for us, we've managed to get results on the road. Our level of performance in the last away game at Birmingham wasn't as good as the previous one at Blackburn, but we were able to get a result.

"We'll have to be better than that I think at Fulham. We have come out of the last year in good form and you want that to continue in the New Year, because the second half of the season is not going to be any easier."

Fulham played well in the first half and led when they lost 2-1 at the Amex in November, their only setback in the last nine matches.

Hughton said: "In the first half-hour of that game we found it difficult to get close to them.

"Their season has improved as each week has gone by. They've got players in form and they are very good at what they do, so we have to prepare ourselves for a really tough game."

Both sides had their fixtures fogged off on Friday night, Albion's against Cardiff at the Amex long before the kick-off and Fulham's at third-placed Reading after a goalless first half.

Any changes Hughton might have been considering to cope with a second match in four days are likely to have been binned. He is expected to name the same 11 that started last Tuesday's 3-0 home win against QPR.

Albion will be roared on by more than 4,000 fans at Craven Cottage after selling out their allocation a month ago.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14997170.Albion_boss_demands_step_up_on_last_away_display/

WhiteJC

HUGHTON WARY OF FULHAM THREAT

Albion's manager looked back on strong performance from the Cottagers last November.

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton is wary of the potential threat posed by Fulham, after the Cottagers' impressive display in the reverse fixture at the Amex back in November.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side ran Albion close in a 2-1 victory the Seagulls, and Hughton highlighted their attacking strengths.

He said, "We're up against a Fulham team that played very well here.

"In that first half-an-hour of the game, we found it very difficult to get close to them and they were very good.

"Their season has improved with each game that has past. They have players in form, like [Chris] Martin, who's now played a lot of games for them, and is leading the line very well.

"They are very offensive and very good at what they do. We have to prepare ourselves for a tough game."

Hughton has been delighted with Albion's form going into the New Year and has challenged his players to replicate their results in the second half of the season.

"Everyone looks at how they've done through the Christmas period going into the New Year.

"The unfortunate thing is we weren't able to play the Cardiff game, but we've come out of this period in good form.

"Ultimately you want to start well in the New Year. If we look at the first half of the season, the second half isn't going to be any easier. We've got to prepare ourselves for that."

The Albion manager also commented on the close nature of the Championship this season, and believes a number of teams are still vying for top six places.

"It's interesting when you look at this division. I think there are a lot of challengers.

"Leeds have been playing very well and so have the likes of Reading and Huddersfield, and that's without talking about Birmingham or Derby.

"I think there will be a lot of teams challenging and there will be a lot of twists and turns before the end of the season."

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/chris-hughton-brighton-hove-albion-fulham-3494971.aspx#FQ2CjO8JdQxUPpzf.99

WhiteJC

Fulham in talks with La Liga side over the transfer of midfielder

Championship outfit Fulham are in discussions over the loan departure of Jozabed Sanchez to La Liga outfit Leganes, according to reports from Sky Sports.

It seemed like Fulham had managed to pull off a major coup after securing the services of the highly rated Jozabed Sanchez from Rayo Vallecano in January last year but the transfer has not quite worked out for either party.

Sanchez has struggled to adapt to life in England since his arrival and having failed to earn regular first team football, the 25-year-old looks all but certain to be leaving Craven Cottage during the current January transfer window.

Sanchez now looks in the process of sealing his departure from Fulham as Sky Sports have gone on to reveal that the Cottagers are currently in talks with La Liga side Leganes over the transfer of the Spaniard.

The report states that Fulham and Leganes are currently discussing the transfer of Sanchez on a loan deal till the end of the season and the move coming into fruition looks a real possibility at the moment.

http://www.laligablog.com/2017/01/02/fulham-in-talks-with-la-liga-side-over-the-transfer-of-midfielder/

MikeW

"From day one I've made my feelings on Chrissy clear. It's now up to the two clubs to sort that one out and for us managers to stay out of."  Yes Mr. McLaren, so why don't you do just that instead of stoking the fire?.  The Wally with the brolly lives up to his reputation.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

WhiteJC

Up next: Brighton and Hove Albion (h)
by DAN on JANUARY 2, 2017

After Fulham's foggy Friday, there are far more questions than answers. Chris Martin's desire to return to Derby County, helpfully briefed to the Sun in advance of arguably the club's most important fixture of the season, threw Slavisa Jokanovic's preparations for a tough end to the festive programme into complete disarray and left the head coach doing passionate media interviews at a time when he should have been concentrating on proving Fulham's mettle against their promotion rivals. The fog at the Madjeski Stadium – which I've written about here – meant that we learnt little from the 45 minutes of play that were permitted against Reading and this afternoon's visiting of high-flying Brighton & Hove Albion represents a crucial yardstick against which to measure Fulham's progress.

If Jokanovic cut a frustrated figure after the early abandonment in Berkshire on Friday, the Serbian head coach had every reason not to be feeling the compliments of the season. He had staked a considerable amount on bringing in Martin from Derby back in August – especially when you consider that he was far from Fulham's first choice – and weathered a tough opening to the Scottish international's Craven Cottage career. Just as Martin, who incidentally has been something of a thorn in Brighton's side over recent seasons, was beginning to really flourish as the focal point of Jokanovic's system, he decides to do a Jimmy Bullard/Clint Dempsey and down tools. It would be a said to end what appeared to have the signs of a fruitful relationship, but Martin's treachery shouldn't be rewarded in the short term. The impasse surrounding his future also means Jokanovic will probably have to deploy Lucas Piazon as a lone forward in what might yet be the last game of his loan spell from Chelsea – or opt to bring in Matt Smith from the cold unless he wants to hand Stevie Humphrys the toughest of full senior debuts.

The measure of the test Brighton pose at Craven Cottage can be seen from their outstanding record towards the top of the Championship with Chris Hughton keen to set aside the disappointment of folding from an imposing position last season. The Seagulls have lost just one of their last eighteen games away from the AMEX, winning eleven and also have an excellent recent record against Fulham. Brighton, brim full of confidence after a run that has put in a nip and tuck chase with Newcastle at the division's summit, have won each of their last four fixtures against the Whites, including last month's tussle on the south coast – where Jokanovic's side were unable to build on a fine fast half display and received a timely reminder of the Championship's fine margins.

Hughton's side process one of the country's in-form striking partnerships in Sam Baldock, whose blistering strike broke QPR's resistence last weekend, and the evergreen Glenn Murphy and are well-drilled and functional with the silky skills of Anthony Knockaert matched by the diligence of Dale Stephens in central midfield. Shane Duffy and former Fulham target Lewis Dunk have gelled impressively as a central defensive partnership and with David Stockdale displaying just why Felix Magath was mad to ship him out as soon as Fulham plummeted into the Championship back in 2014, you know Fulham will find it difficult to carve out an advantage. Brighton have kept a clean sheet in five of their last eight away day outings.

I wrote in my consideration of the Martin saga that the unfortunate scenario might actually unite everybody at a crucial time at Craven Cottage. Jokanovic, who has been the subject of interest from Malaga this week, is clearly seeking substantial backing from the board during the January transfer window – and it would be remarkably remiss of Shahid Khan not to reward the substantial improvement since the summer with significant investment. The supporters could hardly be more united in their support of the Serbian, who is quickly becoming a cult hero down by the Thames, and it would be an unusual sensation to have everybody pulling in the same direction all of a sudden.

On the pitch, Fulham have looked in great nick over the last few weeks. Brighton, backed by around 4,000 travelling fans, will represent the sternest examination of their promotion credentials – but the way the Whites have played against the other promotion contenders will mean they won't be fearing their opponents this afternoon. The secret to success is probably playing the patient, possession football that has characterised Jokanovic's transformation of this side – but at a quick tempo designed to unsettle a side that likes to work to a familiar rhythm. Few sides had been able to live with Fulham's combination of precise passing and uninhibited pace – and that should be the template to try and unlock Hughton's team.

MY FULHAM XI (4-1-2-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Malone, Madl, Sigurdsson; McDonald; Johansen, Cairney; Aluko, Ayite, Piazon. Subs: Button, Sessegnon, Ream, Parker, Christensen, Smith, Humphrys.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/up-next-brighton-and-hove-albion-h/

WhiteJC

Fulham consider Jozabed loan deal

La Liga club Leganes have expressed an interest in the midfielder, who has made just one league start for Fulham since his summer move from Rayo Vallecano.

Jozabed, 25, has not featured at all since October and Fulham are considering letting him move on loan.

He scored nine goals for Rayo last season and a number of European clubs were interested in him before Fulham clinched his signing.

His last appearance for the Whites came in their 2-1 defeat at home to QPR, when he came on as a second-half substitute.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-man-make-loan-move

WhiteJC

Steve Sidwell relishing return to Fulham with Brighton and Hove Albion

Steve Sidwell (centre) makes a nostalgic return to Fulham today

Five years ago today, Steve Sidwell and Bobby Zamora scored late goals for Fulham in a 2-1 win against Arsenal at Craven Cottage.

A hip injury has forced Zamora to retire, but former Fulham and Albion team-mate Sidwell remains an important part of the Seagulls' push for the Premier League.

Just turned 34, the midfielder is on 399 career starts. Craven Cottage would be an appropriate place to reach a landmark, but Sidwell will probably have to wait to bring the 400 up with Northern Ireland international Oliver Norwood an emerging influence.

Either way, Sidwell (below centre) is looking forward to a nostalgic return to old ground by the Thames.

When he joined Fulham in January 2011 from Aston Villa, it was initially on a six-month contract. He ended up staying for three-and-a-half years, scoring 14 goals in 92 Premier League appearances and playing for them in the Europa League.

"It's good to go to back to one of my former clubs," Sidwell said. "I've done it several times now.

"It will be nice to go back and I have very fond memories of playing at the Cottage, it's a lovely place to go. But I'll be in the away dressing room and fully fighting for the cause.

"I can picture it now, Brighton fans taking that whole section behind the goal. It will be a good game, taking place at the turn of the year, and I have been very impressed with them.

"I've been to see them a couple of times this year and I thought they were one of the best teams we've played this year football wise."

At the end of November at the Amex, Albion mounted a second half recovery, goals by Sam Baldock and Glenn Murray turning a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 victory against a Fulham side that sparkled for 45 minutes.

Sidwell said: "In the first half it felt like I was playing back in the Premier League and if they had taken their chances they could've been 3-0 up.

"So we know that we need to be on top form defensively and attacking wise as well.

"They had a really good start to the season and they probably showed to people that last year (finished 20th) was a blip for them. They went on a really good run of playing good football and people said Fulham could be a force this year.

"Then they slowly tailed off and are coming back in. From what I've seen and performance wise, they've been relatively sound throughout the season and not taken their chances."

The same cannot be said of Albion, another comeback from 1-0 down to win 2-1 in the last away game at Birmingham providing a prime example.

If Fulham are to inflict a first defeat in 18 league matches they must find a way past a resilient back four and Sidwell's fellow Fulham old boy David Stockdale (above).

Sidwell said: "You look at the way we've gone about our business, there have been games where we haven't been great.

"You look at Birmingham, but we took our chances. We've got Glenn Murray up front, who can do that, and, as well as that, the defensive clean sheets, which has been the basis of success the year, have not got enough praise.

"The back four and David Stockdale have all been magnificent for us. Dave has set the tone for us to go on and win games."

Links with today's opponents abound in the Albion camp. Chris Hughton's assistant, Paul Trollope, helped Fulham to the Premier League in his playing days.

Hughton's coach, Paul Nevin had a "watershed moment" under Jean Tigana as he worked his way up through the academy system to become reserve team manager, alongside current Wales boss Chris Coleman.

Nevin said: "He (Tigana) had a major influence on my coaching career and my philosophy towards football.

"The methodology of training, his highly technical approach, working with sports scientists and nutritionists, it was all new in this country and made a big impression on me.

"Things that are now second nature at most clubs, he was doing all those years ago."

Nevin has an unconventional background. His playing career at different ends of the country included a spell with Carlisle and was over at Yeovil by the age of 24, due to a back injury.

He has a degree in communications, was a social worker in South London and managed in Qatar and New Zealand before linking up with Hughton and Trollope at Norwich.

Nevin, who succeeded Nathan Jones at the Amex in June, said: "Coaching and playing are very different. While I might not have played Premier League football, I am a real student of the game and have worked alongside some great coaches and managers.

"I would like to think I have developed a healthy understanding of top-level football from a coaching perspective.

"It can be frustrating at certain clubs where your work with the group and individuals is inhibited, but Chris has always given me a lot of leeway to have my input on the training ground.

"The whole package is fantastic and what excited me was seeing the joined-up approach, from the many communtiy projects the club undertakes right through to the first team.

"There is a unity and common goal. It's been said many times, but there really is a feeling of togetherness here which you don't necessarily get at other clubs."

A togetherness which will be sternly tested today on territory familiar to Sidwell, Stockdale, Trollope and Nevin.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14996132.Sidwell_set_for_trip_down_memory_lane_with_Albion_at_Fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham won't be disadvantaged against Brighton, despite starting Reading clash
Friday's foggy conditions led to the Whites' game at the Madejski Stadium being abandoned at half-time

David Button believes that Fulham will not be at a disadvantage against Brighton after playing 45 minutes at Reading, while the Seagulls' match with Cardiff was postponed ahead of kick-off.

Friday's foggy conditions led to the Whites' game at the Madejski Stadium being abandoned at half-time.

Despite Brighton not playing, Button believes that Fulham will not be penalised for starting their game, although he knows they face a tough test against the title chasers.

He said: "I shouldn't think so. We're all professional and look after each other. We'll be fine for the next game. It'll be tough and we're looking forward to it and trying to get the three points."

Button admitted Friday night's events were 'a bit strange' and has sympathy for the supporters who made the trip down the M4.

"We came out once we've been told it was off and it looked fine. It was a bit strange. I know the supporters get their ticket again but it's the travel that's a real killer," he added.

"I've not had that experience in your career. Everyone is really disappointed. It's out of our hands.

"Looking up and down the pitch was all right but it was going across. I think the lights were playing a bit of a part in that. It's a strange decision it's one you've got to get on with."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-wont-disadvantaged-against-brighton-12393542