watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Port Vale Match Report from section V

Started by kewbridgeffc, August 25, 2010, 11:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewbridgeffc

For anyone who missed this one, you missed a masterful offensive display from our side. Isn't it typically the case that we always play our best against teams we shouldn't necessarily be beating and tend to be poor against those that we should. I think this might be changing.  

We were booked in VL but quickly relocated to V proper once it became apparent that those seats were not going to be filled and the rain was not going to cease. I have to say, the view is unrivalled but the atmosphere was extremely dull. I think I was the only one who was even attempting to sing. Still it was interesting to experience the view from there.    

For the game itself, I have to say that Vale started off a bit stronger and had more possesion for the first 10 minutes or so but after that we took over and there was just no contest. I have never seen us dominate so much, by the end I actually was feeling sorry for the Vale supporters and their "we only want one goal" chant. Perhaps I am just too soft. The second half I think we let up a bit and did not look quite as cohesive, but the domination continued. At times it looked like we were toying with Vale using all kinds of fancy trick passes and whatnot. It was really entertaining throughout.

12 Stockdale - He had a very, very easy night but deserves credit nevertheless. The rain just did not stop so I imagine the ball must have been very slick and it would have been easy for him to make a mistake.

04 Pantsil - Better than he was against Man U but still nothing really stood out to me about his performance.  

05 Hangeland - Solid as always, no real mistakes, completely controlled the Vale attackers.

18 Hughes - Also solid, the way he plays, you just don't notice him that much but his performance was just as assured as Bredes.

28 Briggs (Kelly 56) - Very good performance, played fearlessly and payed a physical price for it at times. Lots of pace and hustle. This was very apparent on our first goal when Duff played a ball in very deep to seemingly no one and Briggs managed to overlap him, chase it down and cross it to Gera. I was very impressed by that. I don't have much to say about Kelly.

11 Gera - Typical Gera finishing, not much to say really, he was very dangerous and played a solid game.  

13 Murphy - Best game I have seen him play in a while, no real mistakes, even took a shot or two.

16 Duff - I really wanted him to get a goal but he was selflessly trying to set everyone up and was unlucky the few times he did decide to go for it himself. I know a lot of people critcise his pace and stamina but I did not see any let off from him the entire game. He is still one of our more creative players and a "playmaker" to borrow the Ice Hockey term.  

20 Etuhu (Greening 57) - A good performance from him, not as marauding as against Man U but he had a chance or two, no major mistakes which is something I usually criticse him for a lot. Greening was Greening, I am not really a fan of his, he didn't do anything stupid at least.

25 Zamora - Wow! He is on the form of his life, typical, tireless physical holding up play with 2 amazing goals to match, one from a seemingly impossible angle and the other a dead ball curler just inside the post. He must have so much confidence right now, I am very happy for him.

30 Dembele (Dempsey 46) - Even after his brief appearance against Man U I felt this guy was a keeper and today just solidified it for me. When was the last time we had a Ronaldo or Messi type player that can control the ball as if it were on a string? His control was impeccable and touches were just pure quality, this guy is going to be very big. You can already see how he is building up a rapport with Bobby with various little flicks and give and go's. Also what I like is that he plays like Bobby, physical and fearless. He deserved his goal and I was genuinly upset to see him get subbed off.  

Dempsey was interesting, he just plays so angry, don't get me wrong he played well but it did actually scare me a bit at times. Also you could really tell that he wanted to prove to Hughes that he could score. I think he had 5 or 6 shots on net and was a bit more reluctant to pass then the rest of his team mates. People say that he was going through the motions against Bremen but this was the complete opposite, but almost too much. Why is he so angry on the field? I guess he must really be worried about his role in the squad.

Can't wait to see what we do against Blackpool!

Hazey

Great review for those of us that couldnt make it.

Cheers Kew
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

FatFreddysCat

Cor blimey two great posts on the trot. Calm down, we might start thinking you Yanks know your stuff (insert fishing smilie here)  :54: Though you could lose the offensive saying  :59:

chez

Spot on re Dembele... the guy is looking very good and love the way he is linking up with Bobby.

Kelly.... when has anyone had anything to say about him, a weak link in the team imo at the moment.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: chez on August 25, 2010, 11:49:38 PM
Spot on re Dembele... the guy is looking very good and love the way he is linking up with Bobby.

Kelly.... when has anyone had anything to say about him, a weak link in the team imo at the moment.

Kaz is right you should get a tatoo of that avatar.

FatFreddysCat

Oi Chez , Kaz says to tell yer she;s home.

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Whiteroom

Big thumbs up. It was a really heart warming display.

SmithyFFC

Cheers for this.  :54:

Sounds like was a great display by the lads lots of encouraging signs for the season ahead :045:

COYW
FTID

Steve_orino

Quote from: kewbridgeffc on August 25, 2010, 11:40:39 PM
Dempsey was interesting, he just plays so angry, don't get me wrong he played well but it did actually scare me a bit at times. Also you could really tell that he wanted to prove to Hughes that he could score. I think he had 5 or 6 shots on net and was a bit more reluctant to pass then the rest of his team mates. People say that he was going through the motions against Bremen but this was the complete opposite, but almost too much. Why is he so angry on the field? I guess he must really be worried about his role in the squad.

It's a Texas thing, you wouldn't understand   :015:

He does play with that edge-iness about him and I like it.  That determination to will the ball towards goal in any way possible, & that 'No Fear attitude', is a role required on any team.

COYT!  Come on You Texan!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

kewbridgeffc

Hmm perhaps, but as a CANADIAN (Fred!) I do follow NFL and NHL so I am no stranger to angry americans :) Still I think he was a little bit over the top, even for a Texan :) Hopefully he doesn't get too down and will wait for his chance. Our midfield is old, he most definitely will be starting at some point.