more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Race Report #5

Started by RidgeRider, February 04, 2010, 05:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

Finish: 17/46

Still under the weather with this damn flu, so this won't be a long report as I am not up to it. Rode down with my family yesterday to the race as this was the first time they saw me race. Weather was nice so no need to wear warmers Sunday!

We had 46 in the field today. Seemed like quite a few new faces. I suspected there were some CAT5's who decided to race today who had not attended the clinics so it was a little different looking field. There were 4 teams with big presences in the race: Taleo, Alto Velo, Tri Valley Bike club and Eagle Rock racing (and some smaller teams).

We had the usual clinic, which was quite fun as we did some work on running up the middle of a double paceline just to get guys comfortable racing close by and had a great time as usual with the practice laps and the drills.

On to the race, I got off the front good, had to take a pull on the front going into to turn 1 and then quickly found a way back in the pack.

The racing was much more aggressive this week, but still friendly and no crashes today. With the results counting, everyone was pushing for position with more assertiveness. I found myself getting squirted back after finding the front on at least 3 occassions so it was a constant battle to get back to the front.

Every attack was covered and more guys were vocal when attacks came, which kept the peloton together. Things were very nervy and I tried to stay to the outside and out of the wind as much as possible cause I didn't feel aggressive and wanted to save as much energy as possible for the final sprint.

On the bell lap, I slotted in 3rd position across the line and was feeling good about being there but guys starting really getting aggressive and by the time I got around to the back stretch I found myself on the outside blocked with two guys in front of me who didn't want to go and win, and riders to my right, behind me, and a median to my left. I was trapped with no where to go. Bloody stranded with no where to go. Doh!!!!!!!!!!!

The closing train of riders came from the inside where all the room was and a group of 15 riders blasted past the peloton on the inside going into the final 90 degree turn. I could do nothing until we got around the corner. By the time I got around the corner and could go wide, I was 30 riders back with a huge gap to that lead train. I gave it a good effort, seated again, pushing hard in the last 100 yards and managed to take back a dozen or more riders and held off a guy coming from behind me, who I saw coming and made me push till the end from Alto Velo.

Finished 17th. Rat farts!!!!!

Massive tactical error and somewhat lacking desire today cost me a better result. My legs were fine but I didn't have the fight today cause I felt like shite. Have to say though too, there were some good team tactics going on and some stronger riders today, so had I been a little smarter and felt better, it still would have been a hard battle as the strength of the field was really good.

Looking forward to 3 more races this month and am more motivated than ever! I will be racing a Criterium down near Fresno on the 15th and then another criterium in San Francisco on the 21st. followed by a Road Race on the 27th in Merced.

Can't wait and promise you will be hearing about a podium soon.

Hope you enjoyed the reports.

Jack

finnster01

Jack,

I love to read these things!! Keep them coming and the very best of luck. And always remember it is very Fulhamish to ride with your brakes on. ;)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

ooops not what i expected when i opened the thread ::).

Lighthouse

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 04, 2010, 11:48:25 AM
ooops not what i expected when i opened the thread ::).

You mean you were disgusted that a Moderator can get away with them RATS FARTS. Yeah me too. I shall be sending a complaint.... Oh you mean the Race Thing sorry. Colour me red for embarrased.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

Keep them come RidgeRider do enjoy them . 8)
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "