Started by ffc2004, January 12, 2017, 01:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffc2004

2017 starts early, Graham Taylor has died aged 72

bobbo

Quite sad , made a fEw goofs but don't we all. RIP graham
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Woolly Mammoth

Blimey that's a shock, it was only the other day I was watching him in a football program on Sky.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MiltonBurrows

Vilified by the press for his time as England manager, but no denying his record as a club manager. Sad news, seemed like a genuinely nice bloke as well.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

ffc2004

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 12, 2017, 01:30:08 PM
Blimey that's a shock, it was only the other day I was watching him in a football program on Sky.
Quote from: bencher on January 12, 2017, 01:35:08 PM
Sad news.

I'd literally been talking about him this morning, sad news.

fulhamben

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on January 12, 2017, 01:42:28 PM
Vilified by the press for his time as England manager, but no denying his record as a club manager. Sad news, seemed like a genuinely nice bloke as well.
just had a look at his club managerial stats, and wow, he was pretty close to achieving what the great clough did. Rip graham
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

Just thinking him about him the other day - some radio programme mentioned him as England manager.
He was unjustly vilified by the press, but had a great record as club manager.
I'm shocked -I still think of him as quite young.

RIP

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on January 12, 2017, 02:01:12 PM
Just thinking him about him the other day - some radio programme mentioned him as England manager.
He was unjustly vilified by the press, but had a great record as club manager.
I'm shocked -I still think of him as quite young.

RIP

I agree with you Ray, he may have made some mistakes as England manager, but we all make mistakes, and I thought he was unjustly vilified by the gutter press.

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Don't take the England Job seems to be the lesson Graham Taylor taught us. A football man through and through. Can time have passed so quickly?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mince n Tatties

Southfield White

Great manager, very likeable guy, treated badly by the press.

R I P Graham Taylor

alfie

Quote from: Southfield White on January 12, 2017, 03:46:34 PM

Great manager, very likeable guy, treated badly by the press.

R I P Graham Taylor
The trouble is us football fans tend to believe what we read written by persons that have never been or never will be football managers.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

gezkc

RIP Graham Taylor - seemed a decent bloke and worked wonders as a club manager.

No mention of how he died so far. Had he been ill?

gezkc

Just searched it - suspected heart attack apparently.

Fulham Tup North

Bloody shame.  All seemed a decent bloke.  Very sad news.
RIP :(
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Travers Barney

Proper football person who helped his father report on Scunthorpe United in their pre their league days and presumably at the Old Show Ground....no doubt the Sun will be eulogising over him tomorrow.

Very sad news.

We are the whites

Andy S

RIP Graham Taylor. A really likeable guy. He always had a lot of time for helping people. I worked at Watford Hospital Radio and met him through that. He opened one of our studio's and was a genuine and very nice guy. He always supported us and ensured his players regularly visited the hospital patients when he was manager. He also attended another Hospital station, Radio Mount Vernon and talked football to one of their members for over an hour I have read that he regularly returned to his old club Lincoln and never forgot where he had come from. he was never bitter about his treatment by the gutter press publicly and always had time for football supporters. On national radio he always did his homework and talked the game for the supporters. My heart goes out to all his family and friends and I hope all the kind comments he has received help them at this difficult time

Woolly Mammoth

That's a commendable post Andy S, as are the majority on here, and it gives a good insight on a genuine football man, who lived and ate football 24/7,  and was a really decent good guy.

Never forget your Roots.

leonffc

Reading the tributes in the press, everyone said what a thoroughly nice guy he was. He did marvellous things with Watford of course but he loved all his players and that goes a long way to creating a good side.
Speaking to Luther Blisset about him a couple of years ago made me realise what an amazing guy he was as he held him in such high regard as a person and football man. Most of us just take for granted what is in the press (as already mentioned in another post) but when you hear first hand about a person you do realise what people are like, especially when the tribute is about someone that is alive - it is easy to roll out the tributes when someone has passed away!!
I don't usually do the 'RIP celeb' bit as I didn't know them and generally they are at an age when it isn't really a shock but I know for a fact that Blisset is truly devastated by the news which says a lot about what Graham Taylor meant to a lot of people in the game. The media struggled to get ex players to interview when the news broke because of the emotion!!

RIP Graham.