watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (16/01/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 16, 2017, 07:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rangers new boy Emerson Hyndman insists Fulham friends will become arch enemies when he faces up to Celtic
Former Craven Cottage youngster knows friendship will go out the window when he faces up to his old teammates Moussa Dembele and Patrick Roberts.

As kids at Craven Cottage they were best of buddies.

But in the heat of an Old Firm battle their Fulham friendship will go out the window.

Ibrox new boy Emerson Hyndman was part of the London club's youth team of 2014 who lost 5-3 to Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup Final.

Alongside him was current Celtic duo Moussa Dembele and Patrick Roberts, with all three of them scoring against the Blues.

The American, who arrived at Ibrox on loan from Bournemouth last week, knew his mates would go on to become top players.

What he couldn't envisage was that all three of them would end up in Glasgow on opposite sides of the divide.

He's already joked with Roberts about the prospect of facing each other.

But come March 12, Hyndman knows it won't be a laughing matter. He said: "It's interesting how
football works.

"Me, Moussa and Pat were all in the same Fulham youth team. Now we're on opposite sides at Rangers and Celtic. I've spoken to Pat about it and we just laughed. It's funny. We're friends but listen, business is business. When the day comes to play against each other we'll be arch enemies.

"But I'm so glad to be in Glasgow and I know they are too.

"We came through the ranks at Craven Cottage so we've known each other from a young age.

"Credit to Fulham for the way they brought us up, it was brilliant.

"Our team reached the FA Youth Cup Final in 2014 and that was a really big achievement for the club.

"I had a couple of years with Moussa professionally around Fulham's first team. It's not a case of me being impressed by his impact at Celtic.

"I already know that he's a talented player.

"He's worked hard so he deserves the success he's getting now.

"I knew Moussa would be a top player. He had clear attributes and developed his game as well.

"He was very raw when he was 16. He had pace and power at the start but over time at Fulham he got better by playing in the Championship. Celtic have given him a big stage now to show his talent and he's now worth a lot of money.

"If I do that at Rangers it will have been a successful loan. But I just want to help the team out as much as I can here. Price tags are overrated.

"If you're successful in a way that the fans take to you, your manager rates you and your team-mates want you to play – that's more success than anything else."

Hyndman has only been in Glasgow for a few days but already he has a feel for the size and stature of Rangers.

Along with his Bournemouth gaffer Eddie Howe, his American pal Gedion Zelalem – who had a loan stint at Ibrox last term – encouraged him to make the move.

And the level-headed 20-year-old said: "Ibrox is brilliant, what a stadium. Craven Cottage has a lot of history about it but this is a whole new level.

"There have been a few Americans at Rangers. Claudio Reyna was here a few years back and I know how much he achieved here.

"And most recently Gedion. I've played with him for the US youth teams and know him well. I got his opinion when I heard Rangers were interested in me.

"He said he really enjoyed his time at the club. He loved the manager, the players, the stadium. He pushed me towards coming to Rangers. Now I can't wait to pull on that jersey.

"Having the opportunity to play for Rangers and be in Glasgow is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me.

"I feel ready for it. The manager has told me there's pressure at a club like this. I'm comfortable with pressure.

"To get that experience is great for me and I'm looking forward to it."

Hyndman could have joined Liverpool or Sporting Lisbon when he left Dallas as a 15-year-old kid.

The fact he decided on the move to London - and a club where he felt he'd improve more – showed a level of maturity that should stand him in good stead at Ibrox.

He said: "At 15 you don't really comprehend what you're doing. I just wanted to move to Europe.

"I could have gone to Liverpool or Sporting Lisbon but Fulham was a great opportunity.

"I thought I'd develop quickly there. And I played for Fulham for two seasons in the Championship so it was the right decision."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-new-boy-emerson-hyndman-9623758

WhiteJC

Newcastle United transfers: Magpies set to go in again for Fulham star Tom Cairney
After putting in an enquiry for Fulham playmaker Tom Cairney, United may test the water again later this month

Newcastle United have not given up hope on signing Fulham ace Tom Cairney.

The Magpies enquired about the former Blackburn Rovers man earlier in the window but were quoted a huge fee - reported to be £20million - for his services.

Cairney is believed to be well aware of Newcastle's interest and with over two weeks left of the window there is plenty of scope of a further bid for the 25-year-old.

The Cottagers are understandably nervous about stories linking him with Newcastle and Aston Villa and Slavisa Jokanovic is now talking about offering him a new deal to keep him happy.

"He's had a very good year and I believe it's normal that other clubs are interested in him. We need to understand this situation.

"I believe Tom Cairney is our key player and we need to do something about this. He deserves some benefit from Fulham's side and we're going to do this.

"Generally, we're talking about a new contract and more money. This is what I want. For myself, this is sense.

"If you don't start talking with this man we have to interpret and understand the situation. It's normal for Fulham and all the players."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-transfers-magpies-set-12454507

WhiteJC

PREMIER LEAGUE FORWARD SET TO EXTEND FULHAM STAY

Chelsea forward Lucas Piazon is set to extend his stay with fellow London club Fulham, the player himself has confirmed on his Twitter account.

The Brazilian has been in good form this term for Slavisa Jokanovic and his team, scoring three goals so far in fifteen appearances for the Cottagers.

The forward has had numerous loan spells in his career since joining Chelsea, but he finally looks to have found the best form of his career at Craven Cottage, and his confirmation that he is set to stay with Fulham will no doubt be good news for fans.

Fulham sit just outside the playoff places in the Championship, with 39 points from their 25 games so far. Manager Jokanovic will know full well a good consistent run is needed if they are to challenge and make the top six, and the addition of Piazon until the end of this season at least will come as a timely boost.

The Cottagers defeated Barnsley 2-0 yesterday on home soil, as goals from Chris Martin and Scott Malone were enough to see off Paul Heckingbottom's men.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/premier-league-forward-set-to-extend-fulham-stay/

WhiteJC

Jozabed eyes long Celta stay

Jozabed Sanchez may have only been at Celta Vigo for a few days, but the Fulham loanee says he is already hoping for a permanent stay at Balaidos.

Jozabed played just 466 minutes of football for Fulham, despite the English club paying Rayo Vallecano €4m for the ex-Sevilla youngster last summer, and he is ready to make up for lost time at Celta.

"Joining Celta was easy," he said at his official unveiling on Friday.

"Now I want to do well in these six months at Celta so they exercise the option to buy me.

"It's a unique opportunity and one I couldn't refuse. It's a great step in my football career and I hope to take advantage of it.

"I'm ready to play, although I'm aware that it won't be easy. Celta play a very attractive brand of football and I consider them one of the six best clubs in Spain.

"They play in three competitions and that shows the level of this club.

"Fulham? It was more down to a lack of opportunities than a lack of adaptation.

"When you see that your Coach doesn't count on you, you still train to the maximum for when the Coach needs you, but your head also drops."

http://www.football-espana.net/62430/jozabed-eyes-long-celta-stay

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: Newcastle tipped to pursue Cairney

Newcastle plan to make another approach for Tom Cairney despite reports Fulham want £20m, the Newcastle Chronicle claim.

The Magpies and Aston Villa have been linked with Cairney this week.

The Chronicle claim Newcastle have made an enquiry and have not been deterred from returning with another approach despite Fulham's reported asking price.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/cairney-newcastle-united-aston-villa-latest-speculation

WhiteJC

Kalas delighted with winning return
by DAN on JANUARY 15, 2017

Tomas Kalas was delighted that Fulham recorded an 'important' win over fellow promotion chasers Barnsley on his return to the team yesterday.

The Czech international's importance to Slavisa Jokanovic's remodelled defence can't be overstated and Fulham have looked a little vulnerable in his absence. The on-loan Chelsea defender's commanding presence effectively nullified lone striker Tom Bradshaw and dealt with the Tykes' increased ambition once Paul Heckingbottom threw on three second half substitutes in an attempt to change the game. Kalas insisted that what looked like a routine victory was far from comfortable:

The way we play it always going to look like an easy game. But it's never an easy game, we are trying to keep the ball. But when the opposition is defending well and trying to keep their shape and start counter attacks then we have to be patient and concentrate for the whole game because as you can see if they grabbed a goal it could have been 2-1 and we would have had a nervous ending. So it was a very important win for us.

The first goal is always key. But scoring just before we go into the changing rooms for halftime is always the best time. If it going to come that late it is always important. We had some chances and we didn't score so that was a shame that we didn't score a little earlier. Possibly it would have been calmer then but obviously if every game we score like that I wouldn't complain.

Kalas was full of praise for Scott Malone's stunning second goal that broke Barnlsey's dogged resilience.

Scott then scored a brilliant goal. To score a goal like that from that angle on the volley it is difficult to say anything that was bad about it.

The returning centre back was reunited with American international Tim Ream at the heart of the Fulham defence and the pair have struck an impressive partnership having worked hard down at Motspur Park.

It's not the first time I have played with Tim. We know each other and the way we play. But also we all know each other and how we all play. We have been together for a long time, since the season started and there are no new faces anymore. Hopefully we will continue to keep picking up clean sheets.

Kalas is upbeat about Fulham's play-off prospects but needs no reminding of the unpredictable nature of the Championship, having successfully navigated Middlesbrough's promotion challenge whilst on loan at the Riverside last term.

The way we are playing we should be in the play-offs but as you can see in this League everyone can beat everyone. Like today Preston beat Brighton and it seemed Brighton would hardly lose any games. Anything can happen so we have to always be focused on every opponent and we want to be in the play-offs this is how it has to be.

Fulham's next fixture is the west London derby against Queen's Park Rangers at Loftus Road next Saturday – and Kalas knows just how important that fixture is to the fans, especially after the crazy defeat at Craven Cottage earlier in the season.

We will take it like every other game and be focused. It won't be an easy game. It is important for the fans to have the bragging rights in West London. We beat Brentford, and hopefully we can beat QPR and get some revenge for the game that happened here.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/kalas-delighted-with-winning-return/

WhiteJC

Full backs set Fulham flowing
by DAN on JANUARY 15, 2017

It was a Cardiff fan who posed the question as the home fans trudged disconsolately away from the Cardiff City Stadium after last Sunday's FA Cup tie. 'Why on earth did we let Scott Malone leave?' Perhaps the more salient query was why the Bluebirds were so keen to swap him for Jazz Richards, given that the longer the season stretches on, that appears to be a contender for transfer heist of the year. It seemed bewildering at the time – but the manner in which Malone has kicked on since moving to Craven Cottage makes that player-exchange arguably one of Fulham's smartest moves in the market for a while.

Malone, according to an interview he gave to the Sunday Times ahead of his return to Cardiff last week, required some convincing to pick Fulham as his destination in the summer. He was quickly inspired by Slavisa Jokanovic's plans and the way in which the former Millwall defender has slotted in so impressively to that reshaped back four has helped turn a problem position into a surfeit of riches. Where Tim Ream was once deployed as a makeshift full back because Jokanovic had lost confidence in everyone else at his disposal, the emergence of Ryan Sessegnon as a genuine first-team option at the tender of age of sixteen means Malone is under pressure for his place every single week.

In his revealingly honest post-match interview with BBC London yesterday, Malone seemed genuinely surprised by his sudden emergence as a goalscoring threat – and even more astonished with the quality of finish he conjured up yesterday to put brave Barnsley to the sword. But the regularity with which he bombs up and down the left flank is an indication of both just how adventurous Jokanovic wants his team to be and the confidence that the Serbian head coach now has in the reinforced spine of his side. Malone is a genuine attacking outlet, frequently stretching opponents in the final third, and providing width – that without a great deal of left-footed wingers – might otherwise be missing.

On the other flank, Ryan Fredericks encapsulates the modern full back. His blistering pace has always been apparent but the work that Marco Cesarini, Ally Harris and the rest of the Fulham fitness staff have put into ensuring that an injury-prone youngster was able to return from a serious pre-season injury to such devastating effect has to be commended. Fredericks, who has never previously managed to withstand the rigours of a full season in senior football, has also been encouraged to make the most of his outrageous speed in the final third – and teaming up with Sone Aluko yesterday, the pair gave Aidy White a torrid time.

In his gradual conversion to an attacking full-back, Fredericks – who like Sessegnon and Malone would be equally comfortable as a wing-back, offering Jokanovic an intriguing additional tactical option for later in the campaign – reminds me a bit of the revelation that was Steve Finnan. The Irish international, who played in all the English professional leagues went to a World Cup and went on to count a Champions' League winners' medal amongst his prized possession, matured into a far more assured defender that Fulham's current number two is at the moment, but the similarities are striking.

On a small pitch like the one at the Cottage, you can sense Jokanovic's desire to make the field as wide as possible – and his commitment to attacking football has allowed Fredericks and Malone the freedom to go forward, even at a time when conventionally you would be looking to tighten things up at the back. The pair offer Fulham so many possibilities in the final third, particularly with Fredericks' ability to commit defenders at pace, that there would be ample opportunities to profit were the Whites able to be a little more decisive in front of goal. Both have worked on their crossing – Fulham's two goals in Cardiff resulted from deliberate low cut-backs from the right after surging Fredericks runs – and Malone, after supplying a winner for Lasse Vigen Christensen in the EFL Cup, has majored on hard and low centres from the left.

Full back can be one of the toughest positions to fill on a football pitch, especially in the modern era when athletes are expected to be experts in both penalty boxes. Denis Odoi began the season with that astonishing flick against Newcastle, but such has been Fredericks' impact on his return from injury, that he now finds it difficult to get a regular game. Sessegnon and Malone offer genuine comfortable for that once tricky left-back slot – and the overall ethos amongst the quartet is greatly encouraging.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/full-backs-set-fulham-flowing/

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Barnsley

Barnsley were behind at half time for first time in six matches and only the second time in nine.

Chris Martin has scored in both league meetings between Barnsley and Fulham this season and has netted four goals in his last four appearances against The Reds.

Barnsley have now conceded six goals from the penalty spot this season.

This was only the second time Fulham have scored from the spot this season- from six attempts.

Barnsley failed to score for only the sixth time this season in all competitions- they have failed to score in back to back games for only the second time this season.

Barnsley have now lost 10 times in the league this season, seven have been by at least two goals.

Fulham are the first team to do the double over Barnsley this season, the Reds have lost three of their last four meetings with Fulham and have won only two of the last seven.

Fulham have now won five of their last seven league home games v Barnsley and The Reds have kept just one clean sheet in their last 16 trips to Craven Cottage.

Barnsley lost for the first time in seven games in all competitions.

Barnsley made all three substitutions at the same time for the first time under Paul Heckingbottom. The last time was the 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Altrincham in the first round of the FA Cup in November 2015.

George Moncur made his first appearance for Barnsley since August 2016. The Reds have lost every match Moncur has featured in.

Barnsley Team:

Adam Davies

Aidy White

Marc Roberts

Angus MacDonald

James Bree

Adam Hammill

Conor Hourihane

Josh Scowen

Marley Watkins

Ryan Williams

Tom Bradshaw

Substitutes:

Ryan Kent (for Hammill 70)

George Moncur (for Williams 70)

Adam Armstrong (for Bradshaw 70)

Unused Substitutes:

Nick Townsend, Callum Evans, Adam Jackson, Stefan Payne.

http://www.barnsley-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/fulham_20_barnsley_902214/index.shtml

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Barnsley: Post Match Reaction

"I thought we were second best. I thought Fulham were really good and I was really disappointed in how we started the first 15 minutes. We kept turning over possession and giving them the ball straight back and you don't want to do that against this side. They had five shots on our goal in the first fifteen minutes which was disappointing and then arguably our best spell was between then and half time, where although they had a lot of the ball we were much more comfortable behind the ball, we pinched it in good areas and broke them a few times on the counter attack which is what we wanted to do. So the killer blow was the penalty just before half time."

"I didn't know what we were expecting and how many fans bought tickets. Coming out before kick-off I couldn't believe the noise they made throughout the game as well. They're enjoying the ride and they know that today the lads gave everything and worked their socks off. We were second best today but we carry on going until the very end and the fans appreciate that."

http://www.barnsley-mad.co.uk/roll/ed61/fulham_20_barnsley_post_match_reaction_902215/index.shtml

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham get boost in bid to keep Tottenham target Ryan Sessegnon
Whites wonder kid looks odds-on to be at Craven Cottage by end of season

Ryan Sessegnon is the envy of the Championship - as well as a host of Premier League clubs that include Tottenham.

The only second tier player born in the 21st century came on as a Fulham sub in the 2-0 win over Barnsley on Saturday a week after he scored the FA Cup winner at Cardiff City.

It was the third of three goals in 12 appearances since he made a startling debut against Cardiff in the league in August.

Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic has repeatedly played down hype around his talented teenager, but GetWestLondon has learned not a SINGLE enquiry has come in for Sessegnon in the January window.

It helps somewhat, the left sided defender has signed a pre-contract agreement that kicks in on his 17th birthday in May - along with a £15m price tag that so far has warned off all poachers.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-fulham-boost-bid-12457230