watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Robbie Keane

Started by cododonnell, January 19, 2017, 08:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cododonnell

Maybe it's my Irish bias but what do we think about Robbie Keane? Apparently he's on the lookout for a Championship side and has had a few offers?

He's done very well in the MLS (83 goals in 125 apps). Is the MLS on a par with the Championship - stronger or weaker?

westcliff white

Robbie Keane was distinctly avergae in the MLS last season, he is past it in my opinion and one to avoid
Every day is a Fulham day

cododonnell

You might want to check those stats again! 7 goals in 13 games in the MLS last season (injured for half the season!). Wouldn't exactly call that average

westcliff white

Quote from: cododonnell on January 19, 2017, 09:02:51 AM
You might want to check those stats again! 7 goals in 13 games in the MLS last season (injured for half the season!). Wouldn't exactly call that average
I will stand by my comments, distinctly average last season, past it now, and thanks for adding that he was injured a lot last season, suggests that at 35 odd years old age and his body is catching up with him. we should look elsewhere as we can do better

cododonnell

You're dead right, I'd stand by my comments too. Would you care to explain them though? That's probably as good a goalscoring record (better than 1 in every 2) then we've ever had.

That's a fairly sweeping statement about his body too! He has no history of serious injuries and he gets one knee and you say his body is past it? Strange comments - not backed up with any facts

dhowells21

1 in every 2 is the same record as Jozy Altidore has had. (23 in 48). He's much younger, and more set up for our style of play.

Ignoring the fact he's a terrible footballer, he'd be a much better shout.

The MLS is poor.

westcliff white

One the MLS is not that strong a league and having watched a fair few game slast season to see how Lampard and Gerrard got on, the pundits were syaing that Keane when he okayed looked off th pace and not up to the standards he set in previous seasons. For me that makes him on the way down in a weaker league.

He is 35 and sportsman tend to start fading at a certain age, a knee injury for a footballer at that age is almost too hard to get back to fully fit (and that would have impacted his performances last season for sure), so not a sweeping statem,ent history in football shows you this is often the way.

So again for me past uit and we can do better.

You obviously disagree and thats your right, you asked the question I gave my view as I see it. If you want people to agree wiht your view then say so and I will not comment on the post

Fulham Tup North

I was going to ask, where is MLS compared to the English game? Championship level or more Div 1?
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

toshes mate

In my opinion we'd be better off with Matt Smith keeping one or two centre backs occupied for the whole ninety minutes creating spaces for the rest of the team to exploit.  Keane has had a great career but I honestly don't think he'd improve the current Fulham squad.

toshes mate

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 19, 2017, 09:30:29 AM
I was going to ask, where is MLS compared to the English game? Championship level or more Div 1?

Personally, from what I have seen of it, its difficult to equate MLS with anything in the English game.  Yes there are a lot of good players but the pace and style of play is not easy to compare with English professional football.

cododonnell

Quote from: westcliff white on January 19, 2017, 09:27:56 AM
One the MLS is not that strong a league and having watched a fair few game slast season to see how Lampard and Gerrard got on, the pundits were syaing that Keane when he okayed looked off th pace and not up to the standards he set in previous seasons. For me that makes him on the way down in a weaker league.

He is 35 and sportsman tend to start fading at a certain age, a knee injury for a footballer at that age is almost too hard to get back to fully fit (and that would have impacted his performances last season for sure), so not a sweeping statem,ent history in football shows you this is often the way.

So again for me past uit and we can do better.

You obviously disagree and thats your right, you asked the question I gave my view as I see it. If you want people to agree wiht your view then say so and I will not comment on the post

No need to get tetchy. I never said I wanted someone to agree! All that I said was if you are going to disagree, disagree and debate it, (the whole point of a fans forum) don't just say 'he's past it' and leave it at that!

Agree with you that a knee injury for a 35 year old is never good news but it was the start of last season and he came back and played 13 matches and scored 7 goals since!

cododonnell

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 19, 2017, 09:30:29 AM

I'm thinking that it might be the lower half of the Championship maybe!

cododonnell

Quote from: toshes mate on January 19, 2017, 09:38:19 AM
In my opinion we'd be better off with Matt Smith keeping one or two centre backs occupied for the whole ninety minutes creating spaces for the rest of the team to exploit.  Keane has had a great career but I honestly don't think he'd improve the current Fulham squad.

Yeah, you're probably right! Robbie was always a great goalscorer but not 100% sure that he worked as hard as he could. I like Matt Smith's attitude and hard work.

Also Chris Martin seems to be back in the first team picture and had a great game on Saturday!

JoelH5

The MLS is League One standard.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Patrick

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 19, 2017, 01:55:09 PM
The MLS is League One standard.

Agreed...but with more 'panache'...and exuberance....but yes..skill level of league 1...

ron

Generally, you find the future by looking forward....enough said methinks....

BestOfBrede

Generally my team play wid more composure!
Generally I think only of what is in front of us!

filham

Oh no, five years ago maybe but now there  has to be a handful of better options.

Woolly Mammoth

There was a time, but no longer.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

J

I'd say maybe, but only as a short term deal to add bench/rotation cover if the price was right (including wages)
Not convinced there wouldn't be better options though but I've not been paying close attention to him