watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (20/01/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 20, 2017, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Newcastle reportedly end interest in £20million-rated midfielder, but want England international

Newcastle United have reportedly ended their interest in Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney.

The 25-year-old, on the back of impressive first half of the season, had attracted interests from a number of Championship clubs, including Newcastle.

However, according to a report from the Sun, the Cottagers slapped a price tag of £20m on their star player when the Magpies approached to discuss a possible move.

Now, HITC claims that the recent comments from Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez suggest that a move for Cairney is dead in the water.

"We have some names [on our radar], we have had some names but clubs say: '£20million' or 'he's not for sale'," Benitez told The Chronicle. "Then we have to move forward and look for another one."

"In January, it's so difficult. To find these players with experience who can make the difference, it's very difficult.

"Normally it's because they are not playing or because they have been injured, or if it is a young player who can make the difference, they will not sell to you because it's January and it's very expensive."

Meanwhile, Chronicle's chief sports writer Lee Ryder has suggested that Magpies are interested in re-signing Crystal Palace winger Andros Townsend.

Ryder, on his Twitter, revealed talks have taken placed regarding the possibility of signing the 25-year-old this month.

Townsend joined the Magpies from Tottenham in a £12 million move. However, he spent only six months at the club, and following Newcastle's relegation to Championship, he joined Crystal Palace for £13 million.

He has managed to score only one goal in 20 league appearances for the Eagles this season.

http://futnsoccer.com/2017/01/18/newcastle-reportedly-end-interest-in-20million-rated-midfielder-but-want-england-international/

WhiteJC

ODDS SLASHED ON SENSATIONAL ASTON VILLA STRIKER TRANSFER

The odds on Aston Villa striker Ross McCormack returning to Fulham have been slashed.

Bookmaker Sky Bet have shortened the price of what would be a sensational return to Craven Cottage from 5/1 to 5/4.

It would be seen as a remarkable transfer if McCormack, 30, made a switch back to the London-based club, six months after making a switch to the Midlands for a then Championship transfer record of £12million.

Sky Bet are also offering odds of 10/1 for the Scotsman to make a transfer to Derby, with Leeds coming in at 12/1, while he is 8/11 to stay at his current club.

McCormack has struggled for form since his summer move, scoring just three goals in 22 games in all competitions.  This despite netting 21 goals in the second tier for Fulham last term.

As a result, his current side have also suffered after their relegation during the last campaign, sitting in 13th place on 35 points from 26 league games – scoring just a goal per game.

Football Insider verdict:

At the start of the season, Ross McCormack signing for the club seemed a very good purchase. However, nothing has clicked nor worked out for the Scotsman. One of those reasons has been his own failings, but also the lack of creativity in the team. Additionally, at the start of the campaign, he was not given the run in his preferred position on a consistent basis as his form began to dip. A move away from Villa Park, at his moment in time, seems logical given his low goal tally this term. It would be even wiser to sell him if a big offer came in for McCormack this month. However, Villa require an experienced Championship goalscorer and that is what McCormack has in abundance, as proven last season. Therefore, adding a playmaker or creative player to play in behind him would be the best option overall.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/odds-slashed-on-sensational-aston-villa-striker-transfer/

WhiteJC

QPR player has opinion on weird kick-off times ahead of midday Fulham clash
Ranger explains how fans had better get used to 3pm being a thing of the past as Whites are guests at lunchtime

Jake Bidwell says he's got used to kicking off on a Thursday at 8pm, 12.30pm on a Saturday - and just about every other time TV dictates.

The team at the other end of the pitch to QPR on Saturday faced Cardiff City in their FA Cup tie at 11.30am on a Sunday - much to the ire of travelling support.

There used to be a time when Saturday 3pm was sacred - but those days are long gone, according to the former Brentford left-back.

"As a player, you accept it is just the way it is now," he said.
"The amount of money and power the TV companies have got now as a player you have just got to get used to all the different times of kick-offs.
"I'm sure fans would like 3 o'clock kick-offs every Saturday, but that is just the way things have gone and I don't think it is going to change any time soon."

Bidwell and co go into the Fulham clash off the back of three straight league wins and bragging rights back at the Cottage in October.

Fulham have been beaten only once in the last eight games in all competitions.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-player-opinion-weird-kick-12476045

WhiteJC

Birmingham City transfer rumour: Blues set to sign former Fulham winger Kerim Frei?
Blues could move for the Turkish international

Birmingham City have today been linked with a move Besiktas winger Kerim Frei.

Turkish reports suggest that the 23-year-old is close to completing a 2.3 million Euros switch to St Andrew's.

Frei joined Fulham's Academy in 2010 and went onto make 33 appearances for the club in all competitions, including 23 in the Premier League.

He headed to Turkey in September 2013 but has fallen out of favour. Besiktas manager Senol Gunes appears happy to let him leave after just nine appearances this season.

The Turkish international, who has won five caps for his country, could now become Gianfranco Zola's next arrival during a busy January transfer window.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-transfer-rumour-blues-12477398

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

We had some good news this week in that Lucas Piazon will be with us on loan until the end of the season. I think that was crucial, not only because he's a classy player, but also because we're a bit light in that department at the moment with Floyd Ayité and Neeskens Kebano away on international duty. I've been impressed with Lucas and hopefully he's only going to get better because he's getting regular football. Lucas has improved while he's been with us, so hopefully between now and the end of the season we should see the best of his form. The fans love him because he shows such passion, which is great to see from a loanee. To watch him getting involved with them when he celebrates is brilliant.

The win against Barnsley was important as it took us above them in the table. They're not ones that I would expect to maintain that Play-Off challenge because I think they've punched above their weight, but they're a good footballing side. It kind of suits us to be playing teams like that, and so it turned out. It was a great result, but one I expected us to get. It was a top notch goal from Scott Malone which sealed the result, and it was good to see Chris Martin back. It looks like that situation is resolved now, so he can get his head down and play football. He can be a big player for us as we aim to get into the top-six.

We definitely owe QPR one this Saturday after their suckerpunch at the Cottage earlier this season. I heard someone say we smashed them and lost – and I think that's good terminology for how the game went! It's not the only time that we've outplayed a team and lost this season, but the important thing about games with QPR is the result. I'd settle for us playing really poorly, them missing loads of chances, maybe two penalties, and us winning 2-1. I'd settle for that, but we're a better side than them so I think we'll win by doing the things we do well, rather than QPR missing opportunities.

It's a local derby so everyone will be really up for it, and it's a match we shouldn't need any extra motivation for. We've got the whole away end, and I imagine our fans will be louder than theirs throughout the match. That was one of my favourite grounds to play at, with Fulham and West Ham. It's not the biggest of stadiums, it's nice and tight, and I used to call it a bit of a bear pit. I liked it because we always had a good away following, and I liked it for the fact that the fans are so close to the pitch, because I think that's what makes English football. When you're far away from the pitch you tend to lose the atmosphere. At QPR you're within shouting distance of fans, and you can hear everyone along the sidelines, believe you me!

It's not been a great season for Rangers, but they've picked up slightly of late and have won their previous three league games. I worked with Ian Holloway at Sky for a little while, and I think it was a good appointment to put him in charge there because he knows the club so well. When he was on that long run I was fearing the worst for him, and while I'm pleased for him that it's picked up, I don't want him to win this one at the weekend.

The boys will want revenge for the defeat last time we met, but it's a one-off game and you just have to concentrate on the 90 minutes that are ahead of you. We're in good form, they're in good form, so it should be a decent spectacle, but it's one that you need to play with your head as well as your heart. You shouldn't let your heart rule this game, because if you get too pumped up you can start making mistakes. If we play the way we have been and are calculated about it, then we should be alright.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/19/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Club scouts for alternatives despite rejecting second Fulham offer, expecting a third?

On Wednesday, we relayed information from Belgium that Fulham were ready to make a second bid for Standard Liège midfielder Ibrahima Cissé after seeing their first €2m offer rejected.

Expected to be of around €2.5m, the offer from Slaviša Jokanović's side, finally arrived on Tuesday night, according to Dernière Heure, but it appears such an amount still wasn't enough to convince Standard to let him go.

In their report on Wednesday, the same newspaper claimed Fulham wouldn't be prepared to make a third bid for the 22-year-old, yet Thursday's article seems to suggest it was a possibility, saying it was 'a question worth asking'.

The player, who dreams of a move to England at some point in his career, isn't desperate to leave the club in January, and while his exit isn't an 'absolute priority' for Standard, the Jupiler Pro League side have already scouted alternatives in case the right offer were to arrive on their desk.

Cissé, who arrived at Standard in 2005, spent two seasons with KV Mechelen between 2014 and 2016, before returning to his former club for £765k in the summer.

The defensive midfielder has made 15 appearances for Standard this season, scoring one goal.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-scouts-alternatives-despite-rejecting-second-fulham-offer-expecting-third/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic 'ready' for QPR test
by DAN on JANUARY 19, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic insists his Fulham side are ready for Saturday's west London against QPR – and wants his team to make up for the 2-1 defeat they suffered at Craven Cottage at the hands of their local rivals in October.

Fulham largely dominated the first encounter of the season between the two sides, but missed a hatful of chances – including two spot-kicks – as Rangers recorded their first win at the Cottage since 1980. Jokanovic believes his side has improved markedly since that defeat and hopes the Saturday lunchtime kick-off at Loftus Road can be a springboard towards the play-offs for the Whites.

The Serbian head coach told his pre-match press conference:

We played very well last time against QPR. We had many attempts at goal but missed two penalties. Now we are playing with more confidence. We've been more solid recently and have created many chances. We all believe this is the best way to fight for victory.

Jokanovic has not needed to remind his players just how important the derby is.

We know the game is very important for our fans, and we will be working very hard for the three points. This is a derby and a great date. I'm excited, like our supporters, and like QPR's supporters. I want to win all the games. I know my players are enjoying fighting. They're working really hard and they're really focused.

We have to arrive with the mindset of winning the three points. We are not in the play-offs, and we must improve. We need to focus on what's in front of us. The weekend is an opportunity to win three points, and that's all we're thinking about at the moment.

The Serbian head coach, when asked about Fulham's likely business during the transfer window, said he 'expected new signings soon'. He was quick to dismiss any lingering furore over the future of on-loan Derby County striker Chris Martin, who has now been fully integrated back into the first-time squad, with some more memorable remarks:

The situation with Chris Martin is over. He's a very important part of my squad. Our fans know my opinion. He's working well. I bought a house in Putney fifteen years ago and then sold it. That doesn't mean I can just ask for it back now.

Jokanovic also confirmed that apart from the absence of Neeskens Kebano and Floyd Ayite, who are currently reresenting their countries at the African Cup of Nations, he will have a fully-fit squad to choose from for Saturday's game.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/jokanovic-ready-for-qpr-test/

WhiteJC

Is the Chris Martin saga over? Here's what Derby County boss Steve McClaren had to say

Derby County boss Steve McClaren says he still wants Chris Martin back from his loan at Fulham this month - but the chances of that happening appear to be slim.

Martin is on a season-long deal with the Rams' Sky Bet Championship rivals.

McClaren would like to see the striker recalled but Fulham are determined to keep hold of him.

Martin scored and set a goal up on his return to action for the Cottagers in their 2-0 victory over Barnsley last weekend.

"The situation is that we would like him back but it's not possible because there is no release clause in January and Fulham, quite rightly, want to keep him, because he is a damn good player and he's proven it," said McClaren.

"There are still two weeks (of the transfer window) to go but we just have to soldier on and Chrissy has to play for Fulham.

"Everybody knows what the intentions are, so you sit and wait, and while it's January, there's always hope.

"We still want Chrissy back and we'd take him back tomorrow but, unfortunately, it's out of my hands."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/is-the-chris-martin-saga-over-here-s-what-derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-had-to-say/story-30071651-detail/story.html#U1yaVbKTFALZKOjY.99

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic wants his side to right the wrongs of previous QPR meeting
The Whites went down 2-1 at Craven Cottage in October but the boss insists his side are fully prepared to take on their west London neighbours at Loftus Road

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says that his men are prepared for Saturday lunchtime's derby match with Queen's Park Rangers.

The Whites have been playing some scintillating football in recent weeks, but suffered a surprising loss to their west London rivals in October in a game they completely dominated.

Jokanovic said that he was pleased with the way his side were playing and were looking to right the wrongs of their last meeting with their close neighbours.

He said: "We played very well against QPR. We created many opportunities, we made many attempts, we missed two penalties. I am still left with the sensation that we could have won that game but we didn't do it.

"At this moment, we are playing with more confidence, we have improved ourselves since then 100% and we are going to try to win the game. It is important for us and it is important for our fans. We will try and clear our mind of the last game against QPR and push hard to win three points."

Fulham are the second-highest goalscorers in the league this season and the Craven Cottage faithful have marvelled at some of the football that they have been treated to in the last few weeks and following last season's 3-1 win at Loftus Road, the fans would like nothing more than a repeat performance, with Jokanovic hoping for the same.

"I have to be happy, because we created some style, some identity. I believe that our supporters are happy with how we played last game [against Barnsley]," he added.

"We dominated the game, we controlled many things, we created many chances, but in football it's only important if you win the game. Against QPR, we will try something similar.

"I know my players are enjoying the way we are playing. We are working very hard. They are now really focused for what they have to do in the game.

"It's nice to have a competitive atmosphere in a Derby game. We want to play these types of games and it is not my first Derby around the world.

"I am excited, like Fulham supporters and QPR supporters. We have to be focused on our job and we have to be focused on winning the game."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-manager-slavisa-jokanovic-wants-12478953

WhiteJC

Fulham boss confident of keeping Derby County striker Chris Martin at club

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic believes there is no chance of on-loan striker Chris Martin returning to Derby County this month.

Martin joined the Cottagers at the end of the summer transfer window, on a season-long deal.

The Rams want to bring the striker back to Pride Park during the current window but have so far been unable to do so.

Jokanovic is determined to keep hold of the Scotland international and reckons there will be no further twists to the saga.

"The situation with Chris Martin is over," he said. "He's a very important part of my squad.

"Our fans know my opinion. He's working well."

Referring to Derby's attempts to recall Martin, Jokanovic added: "I bought a house in Putney 15 years ago and then sold it. That doesn't mean I can just ask for it back now."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/fulham-boss-confident-of-keeping-derby-county-striker-chris-martin-at-club/story-30071794-detail/story.html#LWcPduEZ7eI3SVWW.99

WhiteJC

Nahki Wells commits future to Huddersfield Town amid speculation of Derby County and Fulham interest

Nahki Wells has committed his future to the Terriers

NAHKI WELLS has dismissed speculation of a possible move away from Huddersfield Town in the January transfer window by pledging: "I can guarantee I will be here until the end of the season."

The Bermuda international has been watched by a host of potential suitors over the past 12 months with Derby County and Fulham understood to be two clubs to have shown strong interest in the striker.

Wells rejected the offer of a new contract at Town last summer and his current deal runs until the summer of 2018. However, in a clear message to those hoping to lure him away this month, Wells is adamant that he is committed to Huddersfield's push for promotion.

"I can guarantee I will be here until the end of the season," he said today at the club's Canalside training complex.

"That's for sure. In football, the better you do, the better it is for the club and the more interest there is from elsewhere. That is just standard.

"I still have my targets, individually and as a club. But the main thing is collectively what we do and the goal is to finish in a promotion place."

Wells has netted 46 times for Huddersfield since joining from Bradford City in a club-record deal in January, 2014.

Due to clauses related to goals and appearances, the Bantams are understood to have banked around £1.6m from the deal. A hefty sell-on clause was also included in Wells' transfer from Valley Parade.

David Wagner has confirmed RB Leipzig striker Terrence Boyd is on Town's radar this month but denied any agreement had been reached.

"He is someone I know and is one of the names (the club is interested in)," added the German. "But we follow many names."

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/huddersfield-town/nahki-wells-commits-future-to-huddersfield-town-amid-speculation-of-derby-county-and-fulham-interest-1-8343394

WhiteJC

Chris Martin: Fulham will keep on-loan Derby striker, says boss Slavisa Jokanovic

Chris Martin scored one goal and set up another on his return to Fulham's starting XI after missing three games

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is sure striker Chris Martin will remain for the rest of the season despite parent club Derby wanting to recall him.

Martin, 28, has scored eight goals in 18 Championship games since joining the Whites on loan in September, in a deal which has no release clause.

"The situation with Chris Martin is over," Jokanovic told BBC Radio London.

"I bought a flat in Putney 15 years ago and then sold it. I can't ask for it back now, because it is impossible."

The Serb added: "This country is very famous for contracts. Everything is on paper and really clear."

Martin was allowed to leave Pride Park to join Fulham, with a view to a permanent deal, by former Rams boss Nigel Pearson.

Steve McClaren was reappointed by Derby in October and is keen to bring the Scotland international, who scored 43 goals in less than two seasons during McClaren's first spell in charge, back to the East Midlands.

Martin made himself unavailable for Fulham's trip to Reading on 30 December - a match that was subsequently abandoned - and then missed the defeat by Brighton on 2 January and the FA Cup victory against Cardiff on 8 January.

Jokanovic made clear he would keep Martin in west London, stating Fulham were "not a train station".

He returned to the starting line-up against Barnsley on Saturday, scoring one goal from the penalty spot and setting up the other in a 2-0 home win over the Tykes.

"Chris is a very important part of my squad," Jokanovic, 48, added.

"Our supporters know my opinion about him. He is focused to help us and he is working well."

McClaren added to his attacking options this month with the signing of David Nugent from Middlesbrough, but the former England manager is keen to strengthen his squad as County, like Fulham, target a place in the play-offs.

"We would like him back but it is not possible because there is no release clause in January," McClaren told BBC Radio Derby.

"Fulham, quite rightly, want to keep him as he is a damn good player and he's proven it for Fulham.

"There are still two weeks to go but we'll have to soldier on and Chris has to play for Fulham. There is still time and we still want him back, but it is out of my hands."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38678446

WhiteJC

Jokanović's QPR Preview

Slaviša Jokanović insists Fulham are now a better side than the one that was beaten by Queens Park Rangers earlier in the season.

Our local rivals produced a smash and grab display to earn a 2-1 victory at the Cottage in October, but Jokanović is backing his team to even the scores on Saturday.

"Now, in this moment, we are playing with more confidence," he explained. "100 per cent we've improved ourselves, and we're going to try and win the game.

"We know how important it is for us, how important it is for our supporters. We need to try and clear our minds of the last game against QPR, and push hard for three points.

"It's not my first derby. I'm excited too, like our supporters, like QPR's supporters. We have to be focused on our job, we have to concentrate, and we must push hard to win the game. We have to arrive at this game with the intention of winning three points."

The Whites have won plenty of plaudits from the media and opposition supporters for their fluid football, and Jokanović is pleased with the way his side is playing.

"I have to be happy because we created a style, an identity, and I believe our supporters are happy with how we played in the last game," he stated. "They start to recognise it's a great way to try and win the game.

"We are more solid, we're dominating games, we control many things and create many chances. But in football the most important thing is always to win the game.

"I believe, and my players believe, this is the best way to fight for the victory, and at QPR we're going to try and do something similar.

"QPR are in a great moment, they won three [league] games in a row. Especially in the last game, they showed an important improvement.

"They showed they are really competitive, they push hard. The style of their coach is not to fight with us for possession of the ball, they'll try to be effective, quick and clinical. We're going to try and follow our style."

Thursday's press conference also saw Jokanović quizzed on the status of Chris Martin, who came back into the side to excellent effect against Barnsley.

"I'm not thinking about Chris Martin returning to [Derby County]," he reiterated. "The situation with him is over now.

"I have always said he's a very important part of my squad, and I believe all supporters, and my Club, know my opinion about him.

"He's focused on helping us, he's working well, and we expect he's going to score many goals this season. I'm really keen on working with him in the future.

"We talked at the end of August and signed a contract. 15 years ago I bought an apartment in Putney and I sold it eight years ago. Now if I'm looking to rent somewhere to live and I'd prefer to ask these people if they'll give me back this home, it's impossible because I signed a contract with this man and this man paid some money.

"That's it, we don't need to talk, we only need to read the [contract] papers.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/19/slavisa-jokanovics-qpr-preview

WhiteJC

New Deal For Thorsteinsson

The Club is pleased to announce that Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson has signed a new professional contract which keeps him at Fulham until the summer of 2019.

The attacking midfielder made the step up to Peter Grant's PL2 group this season, making 11 appearances and scoring two goals to date, while he's also featured heavily for the Under-18s.

His free-kick against Aston Villa for the 18s was subsequently voted October Goal of the Month.

"It's great to get a new deal, and I'm keen to keep working hard," the 18-year-old told fulhamfc.com. "It's an opportunity and it gives me more time to get into the First Team.

"This is my second season and I feel like I've settled in. In your first season everything is new, but when I came back this summer I knew what to expect.

"Fulham is a nice place to develop, all the staff are great so I've found it very easy to settle in, and my digs are really nice as well, so everything is good.

"Before, I was playing more with the Under-18s, but now I'm playing a lot of games with the 23s. I feel like I'm doing well, I've scored a few goals, so it's been a good season so far for me.

"Academy players are given a chance here, which is good to see. In the summer people like Ryan [Sessegnon] and Dennis [Adeniran] went away to Portugal [with the First Team], and that's something I'd like to do as well in the future."

Academy Director Huw Jennings added: "We are delighted that Jon Dagur has committed his long term future to Fulham. He is a very intelligent player and he has developed significantly since his move from Iceland in July 2015.

"I'm sure that Jon Dagur will want to use this contract as a stepping stone in his career at Fulham and we look forward to helping him to achieve his ambitions. We expect this renewal to be the first of a number of extensions in the Academy's ranks."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/19/new-deal-for-thorsteinsson

WhiteJC

Struck down in his 50s, Fulham legend Jimmy Conway is facing the same fight as Nobby Stiles
Jimmy Conway, the former Republic of Ireland international, has been hospitalised with dementia since 2013. His family are convinced that his condition was caused by his profession

The family of a Fulham legend who introduced football to thousands of young American players has faced the same premature struggle with dementia as Nobby Stiles, the Manchester United and England wing half whose plight has been revealed by The Independent this week.

Jimmy Conway, the former Republic of Ireland international who played over 300 times for Fulham and was in the side which contested the 1975 FA Cup final with West Ham, began displaying signs of brain disease in his 50s - even earlier than Stiles – and after a period of rapidly deteriorating health is now unable to communicate. Conway has been hospitalised since 2013.

His wife, Noeleen, has received support at their home in Portland, Oregon, where the Portland Timbers club which her husband captained staged a series of testimonial events stretching over one month, after it became clear seven years ago that he was struggling.

Mrs Conway has told the The Oregonian newspaper that she is "100 percent certain" that the 70-year-old's condition is trauma-induced, after his years of heading the ball as a battering ram forward for Fulham, between 1966 and 1976, and then Manchester City, until 1978. Doctors have also said that they believe several concussions sustained during his playing career may be the cause of the problem, it has been reported in the US.   

"Sometimes I look at his eyes and it's like someone has pulled the shades down," Mrs Conway said. "And I think that's the hardest part. We've been married for 45 years. We worked together. We were in each other's pockets 24/7. And he just went away. I suspect it began in his 50s. The declines were there. They are so subtle. I'd notice some things but you kind of brush them off. And then something else pops up."

Conway entered the advanced stages of dementia in 2014, since when he has been unable to recognize people. His two years with the Portland Timbers, now in the MLS, cemented his status as one of Oregon's soccer legends, one of four players in the Timbers' 'Ring of Honor'. But he is credited as also being greatest force behind Oregon's youth soccer surge, 30 years ago.

daughterWhen the Fulham 2000 supporters' group were trying to raise funds to buy Craven Cottage in 1995, Conway flew back to Britain to help his former team-mates re-enact the 1975 FA Cup final. The late Bobby Moore's place was taken by Blackburn's Tony Gale, a Fulham junior in '75 but otherwise all 21 players from 20 years ago were found and agreed to play in a 70-minute match at Craven Cottage.

The daughter of Jeff Astle, Dawn Astle, will on Friday meet the chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, Gordon Taylor, for an interview as part of her work for a BBC documentary charting the possible link between brain disease and heading heavy footballs in the 1960s and 1970s. "We believe there are many people who have suffered like my dad who we do not know about," said Ms Astle. "People think 'Oh, these people are in their 70s. They are old.' But dad was 54. Others have also suffered, years before the usual onset of this kind of illness."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/jimmy-conway-dementia-nobby-stiles-fulham-jeff-astle-a7536191.html

WhiteJC

NOT LONG TO GO: 2 KEY TRANSFERS FULHAM MUST SEAL BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES

There's less than two weeks until the transfer window closes for another six months, and there's plenty of players that clubs need to seal a deal for to strengthen their squad ahead of the final few months of the season.

Fulham, lingering just outside the play-offs by six points but have a game in-hand over their Championship rivals, will be looking to add one or two new faces to the team as they look to chase down a possible promotion contention.

The only transfer news to come out of Craven Cottage this month is the extension of forward Lucas Piazon's loan from Premier League leaders Chelsea.

Manager Slaviša Jokanović will be looking to bring in reinforcements this window as he aims to take the west London club back to the Premier League.

These TWO players will be key transfers Fulham must seal before the window closes on Tuesday 31st January.....

IBRAHIMA CISSE

Built like a brick, Fulham need a midfielder who can demand and dominate the opposition with the ability to break down any counter attack.

Ibrahima Cisse has been linked with a move to the Championship club for some time now and would be a great signing.

The versatile midfielder, who can also play right-back, is currently plying his trade in Belgium for Standard Liege and has been a prominent member of the squad.

Cisse, 22, has made 13 appearances for the Belgian outfit this term, including several in the Europa League. He also scored his only goal of the season in Europe in a 3-0 away victory against Panathinaikos.

Ibrahima Cisse would be a very beneficial signing for the Cottagers as he's currently in the form of his life.

Although the former Belgium under-21 international will be having a number of teams lining up a move so Fulham need to get this deal done before the window closes.

DAVID DAVIS

Another midfielder that Fulham have been linked with, especially with the departure of highly-rated Tom Cairney looking ever more likely, David Davis would be an influential player at Craven Cottage

The 25 year-old is currently at Birmingham City but has been rumoured to be on his way out of the Blues, since the appointment of Gianfranco Zola as manager.

Davis has been an ever-present in the midfield at St. Andrews  with 26 matches this season and has netted on three occasions, although the ex-Wolves man is mounting up his number of cards having picked up nine yellows and a sending off.

He would be a perfect replacement for Tom Cairney with his attacking mind, and Fulham may need someone who likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid to pick up a fair number of yellow cards.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/not-long-to-go-2-key-transfers-fulham-must-seal-before-the-window-closes/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic drops hints about his Fulham future
The Serbian is out of contract at Craven Cottage at the end of the season and has been targeted by Werder Bremen in recent weeks

Slavisa Jokanovic has said that he is focused on matters on the field rather than off it as his side prepare to face QPR in a lunchtime kick-off at Loftus Road.

The Serbian is out of contract at Craven Cottage at the end of the season and has been targeted by Werder Bremen in recent weeks.

When asked about his contract, he was non-committal about his future saying he acts quickly unlike the Whites in the transfer market, although he did say that he was happy at the club.

"My contract is over in the summer and right now I am committed to my team," Jokanovic said. It is a very important period in front of us for the team. As I've told you before, it is a characteristic of Fulham not to be especially quick [relating to transfers].

"My profession always forces me to act quickly. Sometimes I make some good decisions and some bad decisions, but this is life.

When pressed about whether contract negotiations were ongoing, he replied: "I am fully concentrated on my job at Fulham and the people around me are as well. I am very happy here, it's a fantastic place. I am a young man and in the summer I will be in this business 100%.

"Dealing with my contract is not part of my job. I have people around me who deal with that side of things. I am not ready for resting, I am young and full of energy and I will be coaching in the period that is in front of us."

When told that the fans would love him to stay, he responded abruptly: "I am happy in Fulham."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-drops-hints-fulham-12480482

WhiteJC

Jokanovic 'happy' at Fulham
by DAN on JANUARY 20, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic has reassured Fulham fans that he is 'happy' at the club – and insisted that he is unconcerned by the fact that he has yet to sign an extension to his contract at Craven Cottage.

The Serbian head coach, who has overseen a remarkable transformation in Fulham's fortunes that sees them in contention for a play-off after two dismal seasons at the bottom of the Championship, signed an eighteen-month contract when he was named as the permanent successor to Kit Symons in December 2016. That deal expires in the summer and, despite newspaper speculation linking him with moves to Werder Bremen and Malaga, Jokanovic says he is happy in south-west London and is concentrating on preparing his team for this weekend's derby against QPR.

My contract is over in the summer and right now I am committed to my team.  It is a very important period in front of us for the team. As I've told you before, it is a characteristic of Fulham not to be especially quick. My profession always forces me to act quickly. Sometimes I make some good decisions and some bad decisions, but this is life.

I am fully concentrated on my job at Fulham and the people around me are as well. I am very happy here, it's a fantastic place. I am a young man and in the summer I will be in this business 100%. Dealing with my contract is not part of my job. I have people around me who deal with that side of things. I am not ready for resting, I am young and full of energy and I will be coaching in the period that is in front of us. I am happy in Fulham.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/jokanovic-happy-at-fulham/