News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fans wreck their own pitch and stadium in Greece - amazing..!

Started by LBNo11, August 26, 2010, 04:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

Dundee United - 3rd Venue lucky..?

Eurosport - Thu, 26 Aug 11:28:00 2010

The venue for Dundee United's Europa League clash has been switched a second time after Greek football fans tore up the pitch and destroyed the goalposts at the intended venue.

More StoriesManchester City v FC Timisoara: Thursday 7.35pm LIVE on British Eurosport
Europa League Draw: Friday 12pm LIVE on British Eurosport and Eurosport HD
..The Scottish side's clash against AEK Athens had originally been scheduled to take place in the Olympic Stadium, but a problem with sprinklers at the ground forced a late change of venue on Monday.

That led AEK to switch the match to the home of nearby side Panionios.

But Panionios fans were outraged at the idea of their ground being used by their hated local rivals, and they broke into the stadium to tear up turf and pull down goalposts in order to stop the game from going ahead.

That led to a second change of venue, with the game now to take place at Georgios Karaiskakis stadium in Athens, home of Olympiacos.

As if all that did not make for an unusual enough atmosphere already, a final twist has seen AEK fans banned from attending the match in order to ensure safety. That will leave Dundee United's 600 travelling fans as the only supporters in the 33,500-seater stadium.

Dundee United, who trail 1-0 from the first leg, have already confirmed that they will be lodging a formal complaint to UEFA about the disruption - with some voices already suggesting that AEK could be thrown out of the tournament.

Eurosport

I think they stared with the Parthenon years ago... :62:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Jimpav

I don't see what more AEK could have done.

If anything it should be the Panionios being punished.

Can't believe any fan would do this to their own ground. I wouldn't want to have Cheslki playing at our ground but why cut off your nose to spite your face?