Reading FC and the ref - do the decent thing

Started by Baszab, January 24, 2017, 08:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

Yellow warning of freezing fog on all meteorological websites

CALL IT OFF before we all leave if it's so obvious that the fog is a danger

Try and think of the supporters....for once

AlexW132

But what if he calls it off, and then at 20:00 the weather is perfectly clear? I know for a fact everyone on here would go into meltdown, you just can't win.

Baszab

Surely a 6=00 deadline would not be taking too much of a gamble

f321ffc

Quote from: AlexW132 on January 24, 2017, 08:59:38 AM
But what if he calls it off, and then at 20:00 the weather is perfectly clear? I know for a fact everyone on here would go into meltdown, you just can't win.
Like it was  at 9pm the last time when they could have played the 2nd half, had they waited until the second half was due to start to assess the conditions we would not be having this conversation.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

MJG

Quote from: AlexW132 on January 24, 2017, 08:59:38 AM
very tricky. ideally we should be told about 4-5pm  but I can see exactly this scenario playing out 'Why didn't they wait?'

Williams Tale

According to the ref , who i spoke to after the game , the police were concerned about crowd safety .

Fulham76

Quote from: Baszab on January 24, 2017, 09:03:16 AM
Surely a 6=00 deadline would not be taking too much of a gamble

Yep, a 18:00 deadline is fair enough. If it still looks like the weather will be a problem at this time then call it off. Can't please everyone but at least most fans won't be inconvenienced too much.

Gillingham called off their game tonight due to a frozen pitch, yesterday

toshes mate

As a weather watcher it looks marginally less likely that any fog will be as dense as it was last time the fixture was attempted.  However, predicting fog is one thing but predicting density is quite another.  The main hazard will be freezing fog which is different to last time.  I am sure the officials will do their best to postpone the game in good time for would be travelling Fulham fans if they can but my best guess is it will go ahead.

Baszab

TM on your prediction alone I shall prepare the car and bicycles

Bill2

Where I am fog has cleared and is a bright sunny day.

RaySmith

A difficult one.

I remember turning up at Millwall's Old Den, to see them play Fulham, and actually got to the ground before finding out it had been called off - was the pitch deemed waterlogged or frozen? my memory is fading now. You could actually walk in and look at the pitch, which looked fine, but looks can be deceptive in such a case.

Some of their fans whom I heard talking were very sceptical, to say the least, about what they thought were the  the real reasons for the game being called off at such short notice.

MJG

Quote from: RaySmith on January 24, 2017, 12:33:07 PM
A difficult one.

I remember turning up at Millwall's Old Den, to see them play Fulham, and actually got to the ground before finding out it had been called off - was the pitch deemed waterlogged or frozen? my memory is fading now. You could actually walk in and look at the pitch, which looked fine, but looks can be deceptive in such a case.

Some of their fans whom I heard talking were very sceptical, to say the least, about what they thought were the  the real reasons for the game being called off at such short notice.
If its the same game it was frozen. Around 1979?
Ended up going to watch Wimbledon play a 0-0 game ....and boy was it a real 0-0 as well.

f321ffc

Decision made, I would be leaving in about 1 1/2 hours to get to Reading but have decided not to chance it.
I'm going to park my arse in front of the log fire and relax, I'm not going to miss that 370 mile round trip, for those of you that do go I hope the game is on and completed but with freezing fog forecast I doubt it. COYW 092.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

MJG

snarks

BBC still shows fog tonight, however the problem with the BBC is they are not always wrong.

MJG

Quote from: snarks on January 24, 2017, 01:40:25 PM
BBC still shows fog tonight, however the problem with the BBC is they are not always wrong.
Issue is postcode....search Reading and its fog. Search RG2 and its ok

G_Gribby

I will not travel to Reading again to night as I'm on a business trip to Germany. What I hope for is that Fulham Radio works so I can follow from distance.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Supermitch

I'm currently working about a mile from the ground.

Sunny but cold - no fog at all........ yet

Ged

Met Office Warnings Issued For:
Reading
Yellow warning of Fog
1800 on Tue 24 January
To:
1100 on Wed 25 January
Updated 4 hours ago
Areas of freezing fog, some dense, are expected to form again during Tuesday evening and last into Wednesday morning. The fog will become more widespread through the night, with icy patches on untreated roads and paths an additional hazard.

Travelling conditions will be difficult with journeys likely to take longer than usual and delays to air travel are possible.

nose

i am not going anyway but I suspect the game will take place regardless.
For what it is worth, with the forecast as is, call it off.  If anybody going to or from the game gets involved in any sort of accident that is weather related then the media and us will scream it should have been called off. In these health and safety minded days it seems a no brainer.