RIP Gordon Kaye

Started by Mince n Tatties, January 24, 2017, 01:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Rene in Allo Allo 75.
Was quite funny in its day.
"I will only say this once"

bog

It was very funny in its day. Gorden as Rene only needed to look at the camera and he would get a laugh. I recall he had an horrendous car accident. I still laugh at the French copper who would say 'Good moaning....'

RIP.

092.gif

Holders

I saw it on stage and it was hilarious - e.g. Flick turning cartwheels whilst playing the fiddle...

Anyway, I was on a town-twinning trip to France about two weeks before they were due to get it on TV there and one of the hosts asked me to explain it - in French. I'm not sure I got the message across, particularly as the emphasis was going to be changed when dubbing it into French. The laughs were on the British and the Germans anyway but I think that anyone seeing it without knowing the series it was inspired by would miss a lot.

As an additional twist,  and perhaps less well-known, apparently Flick is French slang for rosser, plod, old bill.

I was sorry to hear that Gorden was in a home when he died - at 75, that seems a bit young.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham Tup North

092.gif   Watched this filmed live a few times.  Very funny in it's time.
RIP Sir.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

grandad

My wife was a patient at Unstead Park Rehab Hospital recovering from a major spinal operation. Gordon Kaye was admitted there at the same time after his bad head injury. He never really fully recovered his old sparkle.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Holders

A friend used to be chef there.  That was 1987, wasn't it? 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Mince n Tatties

Accident was due to the gales,great billboard got blown through his windscreen.

Andy S

I never found it or him funny. It's strange how if we find something something funny and years later are embarrassed by it we say it was of its time. No it was Truely awful comedy as was Terry and June and a few others that I am happy to forget. However RIP Gordon Kaye

Neil D

Quote from: Andy S on January 24, 2017, 05:20:22 PM
I never found it or him funny. It's strange how if we find something something funny and years later are embarrassed by it we say it was of its time. No it was Truely awful comedy as was Terry and June and a few others that I am happy to forget. However RIP Gordon Kaye
Spot on dude.  I never found it funny then and still less now.  Relying on cheap national stereotypes for humour is always a sign of desperation and absence of true writing talent.  Think 'Mind Your Language'.

Burt

The strangest thing is that it was a minor hit in...Germany! Go figure.