watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (27.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 27, 2010, 06:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/08/26/fulham-frontman-andy-johnson-on-road-to-recovery-after-worst-year-of-life-82029-27144189/

Fulham frontman Andy Johnson on road to recovery after 'worst year of life'

Aug 26 2010

By Paul Warburton

ANDY Johnson has refused to put a comeback date on his return - but insists he will come back stronger than ever.

The £9milion Fulham forward opened his heart for the first time about his eight months out of football in an exclusive interview with the Chronicle.

The good news is that Johnson is running this week for the first time since he picked up a knee injury against Blackburn in January – just in time to save the training ground gym from being trashed in frustration.

However, the 29-year-old England international is adamant that if takes another two months he won't repeat the hasty return that has seen him trawl the depths of despair.

He said: "It's been the worst year of my life – no question. In the past I've had three weeks or so out – but never this long.

"But if it's the end of September, or October or whenever for a return – that's when it is – but I can now see the light.

"I can't afford to rush it and make a mistake. That's what happened last time.

If you're going to get these injuries it's better if you get them when you're 21 – not 29 pushing 30.

"This time I've got to get it right – and I don't care how long it takes."

It was a year ago this week that heralded Johnson's woe when he had his shoulder smashed courtesy of a shocking challenge by Dmitry Belorukov from Amkar Perm in the Europa League.

The Fulham man bears no grudge against the Russian defender, and insists he will come back stronger than ever.

Johnson said: "I've done everything I can to make sure I haven't lost any speed. I worked on my glutes, my hamstrings, my core strength – everything that gives me pace.

"Of course, we'll see when I get out there, but I'm confident I can be as fast as I've ever been.

"The shoulder's good, and I've been jogging for seven or eight days, and I can't tell you how good that's felt.

"It got to the stage that if I had to see much more of the gym – I would have smashed it up."

White Noise

Fulham boss Mark Hughes set to raid former club Manchester City for Santa Cruz and Given

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:15 AM on 27th August 2010

On the move? Manchester City stirker Roque Santa Cruz is a target for Fulham
Fulham have revived their interest in Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz and his teammate, goalkeeper Shay Given.

Paraguay striker Santa Cruz held talks with Italian club Lazio this week and was considering a move to Rome but his former manager Mark Hughes has stepped in and hopes to conclude a loan with a view to a permanent deal for the 28-year-old.

The Fulham boss is also keen to land keeper Given, who was left out of City's line-up once again last night — and that could finally trigger Mark Schwarzer's departure from Craven Cottage.

Mexican left back Carlos Salcido flew in from Holland for talks with the London club yesterday.

Fulham have agreed a £2.25million fee with PSV Eindhoven for the 30-year-old, as revealed by Sportsmail, and should finalise the deal over the weekend.

A deal for Paul Konchesky, however, has yet to be resolved as Liverpool have not offered enough money for the £3m-rated defender

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306512/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-set-raid-club-Manchester-City-Roque-Santa-Cruz-Shay-Given.html#ixzz0xmczAhP3

White Noise

Arsenal eye France keeper Mickael Landreau if bid for Fulham stopper Mark Schwarzer fails

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:13 AM on 27th August 2010

Arsenal have made an inquiry for Lille goalkeeper Mickael Landreau — but have not given up totally on signing Fulham's Mark Schwarzer.

Manager Arsene Wenger confirmed yesterday that he was still working on strengthening his goalkeeping position and the experienced Landreau is the latest in his sights.

Landreau, 31, had an impressive season last year and is available for around £6.5million.
Gunner be a Gunner? Goalkeeper Michael Landreau
Wenger was linked with Landreau last summer also and has monitored his form.

Although he didn't make France's squad for the World Cup that was seen as a surprise omission after one of his best seasons.

Wenger wants experience and could switch back to Schwarzer, 37, if Fulham find a replacement in time but is growing impatient.
Wenger has also been linked with a fresh move for Landreau's Lille team-mate Eden Hazard, who he has long admired, but that may be shelved until next summer.

Meanwhile, former Arsenal defender Mikael Silvestre was last night putting the finishing touches to a three-year deal with German side Werder Bremen.

The 33-year-old joins Bremen on a free transfer and will line up against Tottenham in the Champions League.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306538/Arsenal-eye-France-keeper-Mickael-Landreau-bid-Fulham-stopper-Mark-Schwarzer-fails.html#ixzz0xmdPPLLI

White Noise

The Firing Line: Under pressure Roberto Martinez remains top in our list for the chop

By Dan Ripley

Last updated at 11:59 PM on 26th August 2010

After suffering another heavy home defeat Roberto Martinez's side have conceded 10 goals in just two games and with his team seemingly in disarray – tops our Firing Line.

The vertical drop in fortunes was halted mid-week with a comfortable victory in the Carling Cup and although he easily tops the list so far how do his fellow Premier League managers compare?

Each week we bring you our latest chart of the managers under pressure, and those on Easy Street. Here's Sportsmail's sack-race rankings - otherwise known as the Firing Line...

1 Wigan - Roberto Martinez
Just when Martinez thought things could not get any worse after the Blackpool defeat, the dark side came to town and hammered them 6-0. A return to Spurs next where last time out they lost 9-1. NON-MOVER

2 Sunderland - Steve BruceDefeat at new boys West Brom means Bruce's side are still not at the races, and after drafting in Howard Webb to help his players read the rule book is showing signs of struggle. NON-MOVER

3 West Ham - Avram Grant
Early days but an alarming start has seen his defence picked apart with relative ease by rivals and Grant's side needed a stoppage time winner to dispatch lowly Oxford in the Carling Cup, UP SIX

4 Blackburn - Sam Allardyce
Talks of a new owner still hang over Ewood Park, and Big Sam's insistence to be prudent with finances may not sit well with potential new owners who may want to splash the cash. NON-MOVER

5 Birmingham City - Alex McLeish
He may not be happy regarding the lack of promised funds from the owners, but his side remain undefeated from their first two games, and are progressing in the Carling Cup. DOWN TWO

6 Stoke City - Tony Pulis
Has been unlucky in both league games this season, but in a results driven business knows his team have to start picking up points immediately. Not easy with a trip to the dark side next. UP TWO

7 Blackpool - Ian Holloway
What a difference a week makes. A heavy defeat at Arsenal and knocked out the Carling Cup by MK Dons has seen fortunes turn for the worse and Holloway must get his side back on track. UP NINE

8 West Bromwich - Roberto Di Matteo
Bounced back well from opening day mauling, with new signing Peter Odemwingie grabbing the winner against Sunderland to get The Baggies up and running. Liverpool next. DOWN THREE

9 Liverpool - Roy Hodgson
Being easily taken apart by Manchester City showed how far the club has fallen, needs to end the Javier Mascherano saga and build upon reaching the Europa League group-stage. UP TWO

10 Newcastle - Chris Hughton
Produced the shock of the weekend by defeating Villa 6-0 and with main striker Andy Carroll bang on form, Hughton's side will be brimming with confidence. Wolves next. DOWN THREE

11 Man City - Roberto Mancini
With the owner watching his first game, Mancini's side produced one of their best performances to beat Liverpool, then followed up by booking their group-place in the Europa League. DOWN FIVE

12 Wolves - Mick McCarthyEscaped Everton with a point last weekend but Wolves have started well, remaining unbeaten and progressing in the Carling Cup ensuring the side are heading in the right direction. DOWN TWO

13 Everton - David Moyes
Will be furious his team failed to kill the game off against Wolves but after a 5-1 Carling Cup win, will hope his team, which traditionally start slow, can take their cup form in to the league. NON-MOVER

14 Fulham - Mark Hughes
No league wins yet, but a resounding display to hold Manchester United at home followed by a crushing 6-0 win in the Carling Cup show Hughes is already settling in at Craven Cottage. UP ONE

15 Bolton - Owen Coyle
Rode their luck at times at West Ham, but Bolton were clinical at putting chances away at Upton Park. Confidence is now there that was badly missing before Coyle took over. DOWN THREE

16Tottenham - Harry RedknappFirst league win under their belt, Champions League qualification secured, it has been a good week for Spurs and Redknapp's faith in last season's squad is so far paying off.  DOWN TWO

17 Arsenal - Arsene Wenger
Hung Blackpool out to dry last weekend, with Theo Walcott back on form and new striker Marouane Chamakh off the mark, Wenger's side look as dangerous as ever. Blackburn next. UP ONE

18Chelsea - Carlo AncelottiThe team to avoid. the dark side are beating teams 6-0 like it's going out of fashion and have hardly broke sweat in doing so. No one dare bet against a similar result against Stoke next. DOWN ONE

19 Man United - Sir Alex FergusonFrustrated his side threw away two points at Craven Cottage but with the season still in its youth, Ferguson knows from vast experience that it is far from a major setback. NON-MOVER

X Aston Villa - *vacant*Just when it was looking like that Kevin MacDonald would land the job, his side suffered a shock 6-0 defeat at Newcastle, then spectacularly dumped out the Europa League. The search continues.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306423/The-Firing-Line-Roberto-Martinez-pressure.html#ixzz0xmdgDRJ3

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/port-vale-highlights.html

Port Vale Highlights

By: timmyg | August 26th, 2010

Wow. The goals seen in the highlights are simply all-star calibre. Watch it and comment on your favorite. Mine is probably Zamora's first, the rocket into the opposite high corner.

Many thanks to Bilet over at the Friends of Fulham message board for uploading the vid.

Lastly, on a side note, when did Gera start wearing white boots? The traditional black adidas were a defining feature for him, and a welcomed relief in an age of pink and yellow cleats.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/151038/Fulham-s-Dembele-and-Zamora-to-form-deadly-strike-pair/

FULHAM'S DEMBELE AND ZAMORA TO FORM DEADLY STRIKE PAIR

By Sami Mokbel

FULHAM'S new £5m hitman Moussa Dembele last night told Bobby Zamora: Stick with me and I'll make you an England star.

Dembele moved from AZ Alkmaar last week and marked his full debut with his first goal for the club in Wednesday's 6-0 Carling Cup demolition of Port Vale.

Boss Mark Hughes hopes the Belgium international can take some of the goalscoring burden off Zamora who netted 19 times last season. And Dembele reckons they can forge a deadly partnership to help Zamora cement his place in Fabio Capello's plans.

GET THE LATEST X FACTOR NEWS AND GOSSIP!

He said: "I enjoy playing with Bobby very much.

"He talks a lot with me and we saw against Vale that we are starting to understand each other.

"I like to play in a partnership, playing one-twos.

"We are showing good signs considering I've only been here for a week.

"Bobby's quality is scoring goals and I can help him score even more goals.

"I can also score myself but I won't concentrate on that.

"I just want to play my own game and by doing that I know I can help Bobby score more goals.

"I can bring a lot of creativity – I can do everything.

"I have the power to change a match but we've got many players like that.

"But I don't want to put a lot of pressure on my shoulders. I know I can do it. I just want to give 100 per cent."

Dembele, 23, snubbed a move to Birmingham to become Hughes' first signing at Craven Cottage.

And he claims it was his gut instinct that made him choose west London over the Midlands.

"I was also very positive about joining Birmingham but there was something that made me think maybe I will enjoy it more at Fulham," he added.

"But it wasn't like I rejected Birmingham – Fulham and Birmingham are both good clubs who are ambitious.

"It was just the little details that made me choose Fulham.

"My first impression of English football is good.

"I thought it was going to be kick the ball and run after it – but Fulham play good football and the game is faster here and I like it like that."

White Noise

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/footballcouk/0910003.php

QUESTIONS FOR JEFF FROM Football.co.uk

26th August 2010

- Michael Oliver became the youngest Premier League referee when he took charge of Birmingham v Blackburn on Saturday. What did you make of his performance and his decision to give a penalty to Blackburn?

Jeff's Reply

I have long championed the case of this excepetionally talented young man. He has natural ability and outstanding potential. He is also very quiet and goes about his duties without fuss. He had a very good game and was spot on with his penalty decision. I hope that more senior officials follow his example.

- What did you make of Lee Mason's decision to award Everton a free-kick instead of penalty in their game with Wolves? The foul clearly took place in the area and the ref was just a few yards away so how did he manage to get it wrong?

Jeff's Reply

Very strange. At least justice was done as Everton scored from the next move. He could not have been better placed, perhaps he ws too close, but the foul was definitely in the box.

- Onto Manchester United v Fulham, do you think the penalty given against Damien Duff for handball was correct? Do we need the accidental/on purpose handball law clarified further?

Jeff's Reply

Not much said about this, but to me it was not deliberate and should not have been penalised. The laws quite clearly define that handball has to be deliberate so no clarification needed, just people's interpretations.

- Sticking with the same game, should Fulham have had a penalty for Nemanja Vidic's challenge on Dembele? Any idea how the referee missed what was a blatant shirt pull in the area?

Jeff's Reply

Most definitely, United benefitted twice, but justice was done with Fulham's late equaliser. Michael Oliver would have given it. Already conspiracy theories are being heard, with fans suggesting refs are scared of Fergie. It will be interesting to see if the Prem League are also scared of him as he continues to break their rules by not speaking to the BBC.

- Chris Foy ruled out what appeared to be a goal for Stoke against Tottenham when Peter Crouch cleared the ball from behind the line. What did you make of his decision considering he was just a few yards from the action? Why did he look for his linesman for help when he was far away and behind a huge crowd of players?

Jeff's Reply

Abdicating responsibility maybe!! The Lino had no chance of seeing it. I thought Huth fouled the keeper anyway, but it looked a goal, though we have seen any conclusive evidence that actually proves it. 'Looking like' is not good enough.

- How long can FIFA continue to ignore the pleas for goal-line technology when there seems to be controversy on an almost weekly basis?

Jeff's Reply

Of course they can ignore pleas, they run the game!!! It is not so simple, there are costs involved that many clubs could not afford. It still only happens on very rare occasions and quite importantly they have not come up with a system that works consistently. Extra goal line officials would still not get it right all of the time as defenders can obliterate their view. It will run and run!

- With Premier League clubs joining the Carling Cup this week, is there a difference between reffing a game between two sides in the same league and two in different leagues? Do referees feel under pressure to give decisions to bigger teams?

Jeff's Reply

Well they shouldn't and if that is the case then the system is corrupt and we have no future. There are always conspiracy theories, that is what fans do best. Prem refs are obviously far more aware of that division's teams and players but it should not make a difference. Refs should give what they see and nothing else. I am sure that some weaker officials are swayed though and that is a sad condemnation of themselves and the system.

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/839189-mark-schwarzers-arsenal-transfer-is-dead-says-arsene-wenger

Mark Schwarzer's Arsenal transfer is dead, says Arsene Wenger

Mark Schwarzer's hopes of joining Arsenal look to have been ended by Arsene Wenger, but the Gunners could still move for Manchester City's Shay Given.

Wenger has made two bids of around £2 million for Fulham's veteran goalkeeper, but has been unable to land Schwarzer.

It was rumoured that the clubs had agreed a fee last weekend, only for the Australian to fail a medical, but neither Fulham nor Arsenal have confirmed that.

More: Arsenal transfer news and rumours

Wenger has now revealed that no deal for Schwarzer is imminent, although he may still try to sign a new goalkeeper before the transfer window closes.

"We are where we are. We have four great keepers and it is important we give confidence to them for the next game," he said.
."I do not rule it out, but at the moment I say I am not in a position to sign anybody. At the moment, it is all dead."

It is believed Wenger is interested in signing Given after the Irishman learned he would be second choice behind England's Joe Hart for Manchester City this season.

The ex-Newcastle United shot-stopper is keen to secure a move, even if it is just on loan, in order to find first-team football, but has received mixed messages from City.

Roberto Mancini initially indicated he would not stand in Given's way if the right move came up, but Eastlands officials have since indicated he will not be allowed to join a Premier League club.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/26/2089105/psv-reveal-carlos-salcido-is-on-his-way-to-fulham

PSV Reveal Carlos Salcido Is On His Way To Fulham

The versatile defender is expected to leave PSV for the Premier League in the upcoming days...

By Stefan Coerts

Aug 26, 2010 4:20:00 PM

Versatile defender Carlos Salcido appears to be on his way to Premier League side Fulham after PSV confirmed on their official website that the Mexican international is on his way to England to discuss terms with the Londoners.

PSV have reached an agreement with the Premier League side over the transfer of the defender, who has yet to agree personal terms. The 30-year-old, who joined PSV in the summer of 2006, will arrive in London on Thursday to complete his move to the Premier League club.

The Mexican has not been called up to the PSV match squad to face Sibir Novosibirsk in Thursday's Europa League tie.

Salcido has not made a first-team appearance with PSV in a competitive match this season. He was on the bench three times.

Salcido impressed with a number of good performances for Mexico at the 2010 World Cup and has since been linked with several Premier League sides. Liverpool, Wigan Athletic and West Ham United were also believed to be interested in signing Salcido.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/08/where-do-we-need-to-strengthen/

Where do we need to strengthen?

by Lork on August 26, 2010

Firstly a quick word on the great performance in the Port Vale game. It really was a potential bananaskin, Micky Adams has got his team playing well and they would have been feeling confident after a good start in the league so for us to be so professional and to dispatch of them so overwhemingly was really nice to see. We played a strong line up suprisingly, infact I think we were the only Premier League club to make less than 9 changes, although I wanted to see a reserve side to help with writing this article!
It was only Port Vale so let's not start claiming that we're dead certs for a top 10 place yet but it was nice to see us win 6 – 0 and some of the quick attacking football was incredible to watch. We could have gone into double digits easily if we weren't so hesitant to shoot or if some of our finishing was slightly better, although that sounds strange baring in mind the superb goals we scored. Nice to see Micky Adams and Geoff Horsfield get a good reception too. Anyway, on to the article.

Left Back - we only have one recognised left back at the club in Paul Konchesky, an area of weakness that Mark Hughes has acknowledged. Not that Konchesky needs to be replaced, far from it infact, but we need another player to challenge him for the position and to be able to perform up to his standard when he's unavailable.
At the moment our only reserve for both full back positions alarmingly is Stephen Kelly who can play left back reasonably well, but his favourite position is clearly right back. Matthew Briggs has promised much for a while now, and it was an impressive debut yesterday (it's a shame he had to be subbed with an injury) with regards to his attacking play but who knows how he'll do when he has to defend so I'm a bit hesitant in saying he'd be a good second choice left yet.
Going on Hughes' quotes from the press conference today it seems like Konchesky is staying and Salcido could be coming in to give him some competition (and to cover other areas of the pitch too, Hughes pointed out his versatility, but Salcido's best position is left back). Considering there isn't much difference between both players in terms of ability this is a great signing if it comes off, but if it doesn't I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Wallace, a young Scottish left back at Hearts, or even Shorey again.
There is a potential issue that Briggs' developement could be stagnated if he doesn't play much which is a balancing act Hughes has to play well, he certainly looks promising enough to be a Fulham regular but there's the vicious circle of a player not being experience so he doesn't play hence he doesn't get experience and so on. Hopefully he's a cup regular this season but then how do you keep our second choice happy! Who'd be a manager eh?
As a side point to this I've seen loads of Fulham fans take issue with Stephen Kelly which I think is well unfair, he's a good player who'd probably start for most bottom ten teams which is about as much as you can ask for when you're looking for a reserve at Fulham. He's good enough back up for John Pantsil so I wont mention right back as a problem area for us.

Up Front – since the unfortunate injuries to Andy Johnson (and then Kamara's loan) we've played a lone man upfront with an attacking midfielder behind them and it's worked wonders. However our only out and out target man is Zamora, and while Dempsey tries he can't do the role nearly as well. I had an interesting talk with AlFayedsCheckbook on Friends Of Fulham about Johnson potentially playing upfront on his own when/if he recovers and yeah he did do that for Palace but he played in a 4-3-3 compared with the 4-4-1-1 we use which is very different and I think demands someone who'll play with their back to goal, get involved heavily in build up play and hold the ball, something that Johnson can't do.
So when we look for alternatives for Zamora at the club we're in an uncomfortable situation. Eddie Johnson isn't good enough, neither is David Elm and Kamara is a completely different player whose injury problems make him too unreliable as back up. With any luck a couple of them will leave to free up some funds. Looking at potential players to sign, Caicedo from City is very similar to Zamora, only 21 and fairly cheap to boot (reports suggested 10 grand a week and a million quid had been agreed with him and West Ham but because of an admin error it couldn't go through, I'd take that with a pinch of salt but he wouldn't cost too much more). Roque Santa Cruz could be another option as long as City were to heavily subsidise his wages, the only season he's really shown his true potential was under Mark Hughes at Blackburn so it'd be interesting if he came here in order to try and get his career back on track.
Again this has raises a tough situation for Hughes though. Let's assume we have Zamora, his back up, Andy Johnson as the main '1′ upfront, then Dembele (and Gera and Dempsey but they're competing with places on the flanks too), that means we have Elm, Kamara and Eddie Johnson surplace to requirements, and Andy Johnson who's on the bench for 30 or 40 grand a week! In my opinion we'd be better off selling all four of them.

Central Midfield – probably the most interesting area of the pitch we have at the moment. Under Hughes Etuhu has licence to get forward with late and quite clever runs into the box. In every game so far he's been quite unlucky not to score; against Bolton the ball was nicked off his toe in stoppage time, against United van der Sar made a great double save although Etuhu still should have scored and against Port Vale him and Dembele manager to tackle each other when behind the defence 12 yards out from goal!
Despite this, I don't think he has the necessary qualities to play this role. When you play as a box to box midfielder you need to be fairly quick, strong and fit and it's obvious Etuhu satisfies this, he's probably one of the best physically in the league. But when you get forward into the final third you also have to be technically pretty good. In general you get less time on the ball so you have to make one touch passes and flicks, as well as being pretty creative and imaginative. Etuhu I don't think is capable of making quick little passes to unlock a defence or has the necessary technique to score alot of goals (apart from his threat in the air from crosses but even then he's not a great header of the ball). However what Etuhu is very good at is taking up defensive positions, making simple passes and tackling, whereas Murphy can pass and shoot but isn't anywhere near as quick or strong and hence so far he's almost always been the deepest of the two when we have the ball. So who do you look to replace? Personally I don't think Hughes will replace either of them, we've played well so far, but I do think it's an area we should look at especially for next season where Murphy will not play as much.
If he was going to sign someone, well Emana impressed me for Cameroon at the World Cup, same with Asamoah for Ghana, and Micheal Bradley of the US is someone who I think we should have signed a couple of years ago. Sidwell's a good box to box player but Hughes doesn't fancy him, the reports of him joining us were so widespread and persistant there must have been something behind it but for whatever reason the deal's been called off. Out of those that we have at the club in reserve we have Greening who's basically a poor man's Murphy, and Dikagcoi who is more skilled than Etuhu but wants time on the ball and isn't as powerful.

Quick note: the players I've mentioned we could sign are just suggestions, and not taken from reports or inside info or anything like that.

White Noise

Junior Membership offers

Thursday 26th August 2010

Fulham FC News

Become a Junior Member today and receive a number of fantastic benefits for just £10!

Fulham FC Junior Membership| is exclusive for all fans under the age of 16 who get the opportunity to benefit from the cheapest tickets going at Craven Cottage alongside many more fantastic offers.

Not only will you receive exclusive £5 discounts on match day tickets for at least four B and C grade games*, discounted soccer courses, an exclusive Membership pack that includes a cool Billy the Badger stationery pack but you'll also receive a retail voucher worth £10 off your first in-store purchase of £50 or more. 

There are already some great ticket offers available to all Junior Members now so make sure you get yours today!

• Fulham v Wolves - Saturday 11th September (Kick-Off 3pm)| – 3 Loyalty Points
Receive a £5 discount off your Junior ticket when Mick McCarthy's side visit Craven Cottage.

• Fulham v Wigan Athletic – Saturday 30th October (Kick-Off 3pm)| – 5 Loyalty Points
Claim £5 off a Junior ticket for our home match against Wigan.

If this wasn't enough you could also have a chance to be invited to the Junior Members' Christmas party, which is hosted by the Manager and Players who will be there to meet and greet you!

If you have any questions about becoming a Fulham FC Junior Member|, ask a parent or guardian to phone 0870 442 1221 for more information.

*subject to availability

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/Membershipoffers.aspx#ixzz0xmizOvHB

White Noise

Road to Recovery

Friday 27th August 2010

Fulham FC News

Whilst Fulham's First Team squad enjoyed a well earned rest during the off-season this summer, there was one familiar face that remained hard at work at the Club's Training Ground in Surrey.

Striker Andrew Johnson has endured a torrid 12 months, a period he describes as, 'the worst of my life,' following a bout of injuries that all stemmed from a horror challenge on the striker during the Club's Europa League clash against Amkar Perm just over a year ago.

Thankfully, Johnson has now returned to greener pastures, having upped his rehabilitation programme, but recent times have certainly proved hard, as the forward exclusively revealed to fulhamfc.com this week.

"In the past I've had three weeks or so out, but never this long," explained Johnson. "It got to the stage that if I had to see much more of the gym - I would have smashed it up!

"I've been jogging for seven or eight days and I can't tell you how good that's felt. The multi-directional stuff will come later, and then the proper training and contact football later still. I don't want to give a date yet because it's too early.

"If it's the end of September, October, or whenever, that's when it is, but I can see the light now. I can't afford to rush it and make a mistake. That's what happened last time.

"I came back too early last time and it resulted in me being out for almost a year, so my mind is purely focused on getting fit. This time I've got to get it right. I don't care how long it takes."

Johnson's original injury came when the striker was feeling in prime condition, only adding to his frustration over the past year, but the former England international remains pragmatic over last season's missed opportunities, preferring to focus on the positive support he has received from his family and friends at Fulham.

"What was really annoying was the fact that during that game [Amkar Perm] I felt as sharp as I'd ever been," said Johnson. "It was a horrific challenge and he should have been sent off – but it's a man's game, and these things happen.

"Missing the Europa League Final was hard. But you've got to deal with it by reminding yourself you've played in finals when other team-mates missed out through injury – that's football.

"I've had fabulous support from my wife and kids and my team-mates have always been around asking how it's going. The new boss Mark Hughes has told me to fix it and take my time."

Johnson is confident that his outstanding turn of pace will be remain as explosive as ever when he returns to full fitness, a sight that the Cottage faithful will be delighted to see when the striker pulls on the Club's No.8 shirt once again.

"I've done everything I can to make sure I haven't lost any speed," the striker explained. "I've worked on my glutes, my hamstrings and my core strength – everything that gives me pace. Of course, we'll see when I get out there, but I'm confident I can be as fast as I've ever been."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/AJRecovery.aspx#ixzz0xmjEDXo4

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/six-great-things-from-last-night/

Six great things from last night

Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 8:00 pm

On the pitch:

1)  Was there any better way to break Matthew Briggs into the team than last night?   Home game (but small crowd), weak opposition, surrounded by first team players all 'looking out' for you.   Really well done by Hughes, and Briggs will have gained a lot from that, not least because he's no longer just the answer to a trivia question and is (finally) getting the chance he's wanted for a while;

2)  Bobby Zamora would probably feel he could do a job for Barcelona at this point.   He's bubbling over out there, in a good way.  Confidence like this doesn't last forever, but we should enjoy Zamora's play while he's still at the top of his game.  I can't imagine how he could be doing too much better at the moment;

3)  Moussa Dembele looks amazing.   Early days, of course, but almost everything he did oozed excellence.  The weighting of his passes, the way he ghosted away from challenges, his balance, guile.... he looks like he's been here years;

4)  It was wonderful to watch Hughes and Hangeland dominating again.   I was pondering this in the stand in the second half;  how will people remember this era in 30 years?   Roy didn't stick around long enough, MAF will of course be in everyone's thoughts, and of course Hamburg is the big milestone.   But I can imagine telling my son/daughter (November!) about Fulham in the early part of this century, and one thing I'd talk about to try to convery the essence of this side is Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland.   They're just perfect, aren't they?

5)  The goals.  We all love lots of goals, but when they're great goals too... I've seen the highlights – here in case you haven't been on the message boards today – and they're just phenomenal.   The first goal was even better in person.   Duff's ball was exquisite, Briggs (who took a bit of encouraging to break on sometimes, causing Duff to look back infield) did his bit wonderfully well, and Gera attacked it with bravery and skill.   Zamora's goal followed some dazzling interplay with Gera that had us all gasping.   Great fun.

6)   The fact that it could easily have been 10-0.  Our football was awesome.   And I don't say that lightly.   I don't care if it was only Port Vale, we were very, very good.   I went to the game expecting to get bored quickly but the whole thing whizzed by.   A pleasure to have been there.

Off the pitch:

1)  First time I'd tried the burgers from that tent thing just inside Bishop's Park.   A fiver's not cheap, but it went to charity, I believe, and the burger was phenomenal.   Just what I needed;

2)   I managed to sell ten of the reprinted Fulham Reviews.   It was throwing it down so I wasn't making much of an effort, but by standing there with my arm in the air I managed to shift enough copies to have made the soaking worthwhile.  Thanks to all who had sympathy!

3)  Rain's annoying sometimes, but a night time game in a downpour doesn't half make for a good spectacle.  Somehow realer than real.  How it ought to be.  Vivid;

4)  The small crowd meant that stadium exploration was an option again.   Our usual seats were out of the question (exposed!) and I was the only one who went yesterday anyway, so I sat behind the VIP section in the Riverside in the first half (they have tv screens with a five second delay!  Imagine how useful that is), then crossed the Hammersmith End and sat in the Johnny Haynes where I used to be for the second.    There's something holy about the Johnny Haynes Stand on nights like that.  Loved it;

5)  I saw Mick Harford in the VIP bit.  When Dad used to take me to Luton, Mick Harford was the centre-forward.  In my first ever game, an FA Cup 3rd round match against Liverpool, Harford hit the bar from miles out, with an orange ball because it was snowing.    For some time I wrestled with the idea of discussing this with him (he was just along from me) but he didn't bring an air of approachability with him so I didn't;

6)   Hade came and picked me up!   What a result!

White Noise

http://www.blackpool-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_blackpool_v_fulham_28_aug_2010_551629/index.shtml

FM Preview: Blackpool v Fulham 28 Aug 2010

By Footymad Friday, 27th August 2010

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Blackpool take on Fulham in a Premier League match on Saturday, 28th August 2010 at 15:00.

History of the Blackpool v Fulham fixture

Blackpool play host to Fulham at Bloomfield Road on Saturday afternoon, looking to continue an impressive record. The Seasiders are clearly on top, having won 29 and lost only 10 of the 52 games.

The last time the two teams met at Blackpool was more than a decade ago, in October 1998, with Fulham inflicting a narrow 2-3 defeat upon the Seasiders in a League Division Two match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
1998/1999 Sat 20 Mar Fulham 4 - 0 Blackpool LGE1
1998/1999 Sat 31 Oct Blackpool 2-3 Fulham LGE1
1997/1998 Sat 28 Feb Blackpool 2 - 1 Fulham LGE1
1997/1998 Sat 11 Oct Fulham 1 - 0 Blackpool LGE1
1993/1994 Sat 12 Feb Fulham 1 - 0 Blackpool LGE1
1993/1994 Sat 08 Jan Blackpool 2 - 3 Fulham LGE1
1992/1993 Sat 17 Apr Fulham 1 - 0 Blackpool LGE1

Recent respective form guides

Blackpool are in decent form at home, having won four and drawn two of their last six games, These high-scoring games have yielded a total of 15 goals for the Seasiders, with 6 goals against.

Fulham have an average recent record on the road, collecting 1 win and 3 draws from the last six played. Cottagers have conceded 6 goals in these games, and only hit 2 in reply.

Blackpool see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 3 points from their 2 games played so far, Fulham find themselves struggling down in 14th position in the league having picked up 2 points from their 2 matches.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
Blackpool 6 4 0 2 16 16 12
Fulham 6 1 2 3 9 9 5

FootyMad's prediction ...

Blackpool may be coming up against a decent side in Fulham, but I do believe that its going to result in a narrow home win for the Seasiders. Home Win

Sequence statistics:
Blackpool Unbeaten in the last 10 home games.
Latest 2 games ended in defeat.
Not won in the 2 most recent games.

Fulham Not won in previous 6 away matches.
4 games since last defeat.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/27/2089902/fulhams-zoltan-gera-wary-of-very-dangerous-blackpool-ahead

Fulham's Zoltan Gera Wary Of 'Very Dangerous' Blackpool Ahead Of Premier League Clash

Midfielder also hailed arrival of Moussa Dembele...

By Alex Young

Aug 27, 2010 1:05:00 AM

Fulham's Zoltan Gera has insisted that Saturday's Premier League clash against newly promoted Blackpool is a "very dangerous fixture", despite the Tangerines being on the wrong end of a 6-0 scoreline in their last outing.

Fulham will become the first side to visit Blackpool's Bloomfield Road Stadium as it opens its doors to the Premier League for the first time, after a delayed debut due to construction work on the East Stand.

Gera knows Fulham will have to face a strong, and possibly hostile, reception on Saturday, despite Blackpool's disappointing collapse at Arsenal last weekend.

"It will be a very tough game against Blackpool because they'll be playing their first game at home in the Premier League," the Hungarian midfielder told Fulham's official website.

"It will be a noisy stadium and they'll be playing with high confidence, so it's a very dangerous fixture for us and we need to prepare very carefully."

Fulham come into the game on the end of a 6-0 League Cup victory over Port Vale and he believes that convincing display will give his team confidence to take into Saturday's Premier League meeting.

Mark Hughes gave new £5 million summer signing Moussa Dembele his first start against the League Two side, and the 23-year-old celebrated by getting on the scoresheet.

Left-back Matthew Briggs also tasted his first start for Fulham, three years since his last appearance at the age of 16 years and 65 days - a day in which he appeared as the youngest ever Premier League player.

The England Under-19 international enjoyed a successful appearance, assisting Gera to score, and then linking up again with the Hungarian to set up Bobby Zamora.

"Since my debut I've been training hard to keep my development going," said Briggs.

"This season the new manager has come in and he's been taking a look at the players available to him and I grabbed my chance as soon as it came.

"I wasn't really nervous - I had been waiting a long time for that moment so I was just determined to make the most of it.

"It was good to be named in a strong team too - with experienced players around me. Hopefully it will happen a lot more this season."

Gera went on to state his belief that Briggs and Dembele represent a bright future for the club.

"Matthew is a very talented young player. The Manager gave him the opportunity and he did very well so it was a good start for him," he continued.

"Moussa played very well too, coming deep to pick up the ball, and he took his goal well.

"I think he's a good player and a great signing for us."

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943316/Blackpool-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Blackpool v Fulham: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Blackpool and Fulham at Bloomfield Road on Saturday Aug 28, 2010, kick-off 15:00 BST.

PREVIEW

BLACKPOOLVFULHAM Saturday, August 28 15:00
Premier League
Bloomfield Road
By John Ley
Published: 6:00AM BST 27 Aug 2010

John's Twitter

Previous1 of 2 ImagesNext
Blackpool manager Ian Holloway Photo: ACTION IMAGES  Fulham manager Mark Hughes Photo: ACTION IMAGES
Saturday, August 28

Blackpool v Fulham
Bloomfield Road
Kick-off: 15.00 BST
TV: Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Blackpool (Possible, 4-3-1-2): Gilks; Baptiste, Evatt, Cathcart, Crainey; Sylvestre, Vaughan, Adam; Grandin; Harewood, Taylor-Fletcher.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-2): Stockdale; Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Duff, Etuhu, Murphy, Davies; Dempsey, Zamora.
Referee: Michael Oliver. Matches 1. R: 0.Y: 5.

Tale of the game

Blackpool play their first ever Premier League game at Bloomfield Road after away games at Wigan and Arsenal. They last entertained Fulham in October 1998 and lost 3-2. Ian Evatt is available after a one-match ban following his dismissal at Arsenal.

And the Tangerines are still without Keith Southern, Louis Almond and Billy Clarke while Paul Rachubka and Jason Euell remain doubtful.

Fulham fielded a strong side for Wednesday's 6-0 Carling Cup thrashing of Port Vale but are still searching for their first league win under Mark Hughes though they remain unbeaten following draws at Bolton and at home to Manchester United.

New signings Moussa Dembele, who played the first half against Vale, and Rafik Halliche could be involved while David Stockdale, who saved a penalty against United last Sunday, is likely to continue in goal, for Mark Schwarzer. But Philippe Senderos, Andrew Johnson and Diomansy Kamara are still injured.

Last season: N/A.

Stat of the game: Fulham have won four and drawn one of their last six League visits to Bloomfield Road.

Betting tip: Blackpool will want to impress and Fulham have gone 19 games since they last won away, so try another draw. A 1-1 stalemate is 6-1

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/london-qpr/2010/08/27/qpr-target-fulham-striker-82029-27144165/

QPR target Fulham striker

Aug 27 2010 By Paul Warburton

QPR have added Fulham's Eddie Johnson to their wants list of new strikers.

Boss Neil Warnock wants to add at least another forward to his squad before the transfer window slams shut on Tuesday.

American striker Johnson spent most of last season on loan at Cardiff, and with Fulham adding £5million Moussa Dembele to their forward line, a short hop down Fulham Palace Road for Johnson on a loan deal might suit both west London clubs.

Warnock also has eyes on Blackburn's Jason Roberts and Stoke's Dave Kitson as loans – but massive Premiership wage demands for both are a stumbling block.

White Noise

Kettle Hughes won't call Hodgson black

Published 23:00 26/08/10

By Neil McLeman

Mark Hughes yesterday admitted he cannot complain about Liverpool's pursuit of Paul Konchesky because he likes to re-sign his former players.

Roy Hodgson, who has condemned Inter Milan's bid to capture Dirk Kuyt, wants to take the Fulham full-back to Anfield to bolster his side's defence.

Konchesky is a doubt for Saturday's trip to Blackpool with an "ankle injury" as he joins Arsenal-target Mark Schwarzer on the injury list.

Hughes signed his Wales stars Craig Bellamy and Robbie Savage at Blackburn - and wants Santa Roque Cruz on loan at Fulham now.

And though he called Liverpool's interest in Konchesky as "not welcome", he added: "It is understandable because most managers like to work with players they know and trust and that is obviously the situation with Rafa Benitez and a similar situation with Roy.

"He has worked with players and he will feel comfort if he has the opportunity to work with them again. I have obviously re-signed players I have worked with before and it works."

Fulham have lined up PSV's Mexican full-back Carlos Salcido as a replacement and he will fly to London to complete a medical "in the near future".

But Hughes said there was no developments with the Schwarzer saga with the transfer window closing on Tuesday. "We have looked at possible options but nothing really has been acceptable to us," he said. "We are as we were really.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-won-t-condemn-Liverpool-manager-Roy-Hodgson-s-pursuit-of-his-former-player-Paul-Konchesky-article564751.html#ixzz0xmmnZltP

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-spy/10-transfers-that-could-be-completed-by-deadline-day-including-Mark-Schwarzer-Paul-Konchesky-Chalres-N-Zogbia-Javier-Mascherano-and-Scott-Parker-article564729.html

10 transfers that could be completed by deadline day

By Football Spy in Football Spy

Published 22:45 26/08/10

Recommend (1)
With deadline day looming, Football Spy looks into the biggest transfer saga's of the summer and gives you the rundown on who's going to come up trumps as the clock ticks down...

1. MARK SCHWARZER: Fulham to Arsenal.

The Australian keeper has made it clear that he doesn't want to play for Fulham any more with Champions League football and a player-coach role on offer at the Emirates.

Fulham want more than double the £2million Arsenal have offered for theirkeeper. The Gunners clearly dont want to pay that much for a 37-year-old. Expect a resolution by Tuesday.

SPY RATING: ***** Five stars.

2. PAUL KONCHESKY: Fulham to Liverpool.

- The former Charlton and West Ham left back excelled last season under Roy Hodgson and has had the call to rejoin his former boss at Anfield. Fulham boss Mark Hughes already has a replacement lined up.

3. CHARLES N'ZOGBIA: Wigan to Birmingham.

The bad boy winger has made it clear he has no interest in playing for Wigan again. Bos Roberto Martinez initially adopted the get-tough: 'You're going nowhere' stance. But chairman Dave Whelan has been forced to step in, insisting N'Zogbia is off if as soon as they get a reasonable offer. Birmingham are currently deep in negotiations.

SPY RATING: **** Four stars.

4. JAVIER MASCHERANO: Liverpool to Inter Milan or Barcelona.

Another player refusing to pull on his club's shirt ever again. Rafa Benitez wants to be reunited with him at Inter Milan. Liverpool have no Champions League football with which to make a counter-offer. Now Barca are in too. The haggling has begun.

5. HATEM BEN ARFA: Marseille to Newcastle.

Clearly the tantrums are catching as the 23-year-old French winger is another to effectively go on strike to force a move. Newcastle have set the pace in the race for him for some time and looked set to slip the field to land a bit of a coup.

But German club Werder Bremen have made a late £6million bid as opposed to Newcastle's loan offer. Liverpool and Arsenal have also expressed an interest to the French champions. It could go to the wire.

SPY RATING: ** Two stars.

6. OLA TOIVONEN: PSV to Liverpool.

A powerful, prolific 24-year-old Swedish striker currently the apple of Roy Hodgson's eye. The Reds boss has had Toivonen watched playing for PSV and has watched the marksman himself playing for Sweden. PSV say they have already dismissed an enquiry but they are expect Liverpool to be back.

SPY RATING: **** Four stars.

7. ANTHONY VANDEN BORRE: Genoa to West Ham.

Avram Grant is desperate for a right-back before the window closes as he is none too keen on Julien Faubert in that position. Vanden Borre did well for him at Portsmouth last season but, just in case a move for him falls through, Grant also has his eye on loan moves for Kyle Naughton at Spurs and Anthony Gerrard at Cardiff.

SPY RATING: *** Five stars.

8. ROQUE SANTA CRUZ: Manchester City to Newcastle.

City don't see the Magpies as a direct rival so they could let their Paraguayan striker move to St James's Park on the basis that he wouldn't play when the two sides meet on October 3 and December 26.

Lazio, however, have thrown a spanner in the works with a loan move they have pursued aggresively. Another deal that could go down to the wire.

SPY RATING: *** Three stars. Could go either way.

9. SCOTT PARKER: West Ham to Spurs

A five-year contract on the table at Upton Park has still yet to be signed by Parker with Spurs and Liverpool both keen on him. At 30-year-old the interest from Tottenham represents his last chance to play Champions League football. It comes down to a straight choice between that - and being the best player in an average team.

Spurs have already had a bid rejected. But expect them to go in again before Tuesday's deadline.

10. LASSANA DIARRA: Real Madrid to Spurs.

A bit of a surprise he has been made available for transfer by Real Madrid because the 25-year-old France midfielder is still a quality player. Spurs head the chasing pack and Redknapp could yet buy him AND Parker as Diarra can also play at right-back.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-spy/10-transfers-that-could-be-completed-by-deadline-day-including-Mark-Schwarzer-Paul-Konchesky-Chalres-N-Zogbia-Javier-Mascherano-and-Scott-Parker-article564729.html#ixzz0xmmQXrdz

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3113336/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-cool-on-Paul-Konchesky-bid.html

Hughes cool on Konchesky bid

By VIKKI ORVICE

Published: Today

Add a comment (1)

MARK HUGHES will not complain if Liverpool poach Paul Konchesky from Fulham - because he has done the same himself.

Hughes has made PSV Eindhoven left-back Carlos Salcido his third signing since taking over at Craven Cottage, with the Mexican set to arrive in a £1.6million deal in the next few days.

He insists Konchesky is still his No 1 in the position and that any interest in him from Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson, who wants to link up again with his former defender, is unwelcome.

But Hughes added: "We are aware of the interest and will try to do what is best for Fulham.

"I've obviously re-signed players I have worked with before and it works."