more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (26/01/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 26, 2017, 07:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham interested in Rhodes but fee is too high

Fulham are interested in signing Jordan Rhodes from Middlesbrough but are unwilling to pay the £9m asking price.

The Whites are keen to sign a striker before next week's transfer deadline.

They wanted to sign David Nugent from Boro but he signed for Derby County.

Head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has considered a move to re-sign Ross McCormack from Aston Villa.

But Fulham currently have no plans to bring back the Scotland international, who left them to join Villa in the summer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-interested-middlesbrough-man

WhiteJC

Marco Silva says Hull squad will visit Ryan Mason in hospital following Sunday's FA Cup tie at Fulham
The Tigers midfielder remains in a London hospital after he underwent emergency surgery on Sunday

Hull City boss Marco Silva says the Tigers squad will visit Ryan Mason in hospital following their FA Cup fourth round tie at Fulham on Sunday.

Mason suffered a serious head injury following a clash with Chelsea defender Gary Cahill last Sunday and required emergency surgery at a nearby London hospital.

And the Tigers boss says his side will be playing for Mason when they take on Manchester United in the EFL Cup semi-final second leg on Thursday evening.

"It is not easy for our squad, but we need to be strong together, fight together and support Ryan," he said. "We have a good atmosphere but in these moments we play for our fans, for ourselves and for Ryan for sure.

"The response has been fantastic, because it is important to support his family and the player together.

"In these moments we need to forget everything and concentrate on him."

The club said the 25-year-old is making "excellent progress" in a statement on their website on Tuesday, but confirmed he would still require further observation over the coming days.

Tigers fans are planning show their support for Mason during tomorrow night's EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Manchester United by applauding in the 25th minute. The Hull players will also wear a 'Mason 25' shirt during the warm up.

Mason was taken to St Mary's Hospital in London (Photo: TGSPhoto/REX/Shutterstock)

A statement yesterday read: "The club can confirm that Ryan Mason continues to make excellent progress after sustaining a skull fracture in Sunday's game against Chelsea.

"He will continue to be closely monitored by staff at St Mary's Hospital over the next few days, whilst also remaining in contact with our medical team to assess his progress.

"There will be no further updates from the club until there are any changes in Ryan's condition. We also ask that people respect Ryan and his family's privacy whilst he remains in hospital."

It remains unclear when Mason will be allowed to leave hospital and return home but all signs are currently encouraging following the sickening incident at Stamford Bridge.

Mason was visited by captain Michael Dawson on Monday and continues to be surrounded by his family in the capital.

"We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere thanks and gratitude for the overwhelming support shown to Ryan during what has been an extremely traumatic 24 hours," a family statement read.

"The well wishes and support that we've received as a family from such a large number of players, managers, clubs, fans and everyone involved in football – as well as even from people outside of the sport – has helped to give Ryan and all of the family great strength during this incredibly difficult time.

"We would also like to send a special thank you to the superb medical teams at Hull City, Chelsea and St Mary's Hospital.

"The manner in which the situation was handled and dealt with was impeccable and we are incredibly grateful for everything that they have done and continue to do."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/marco-silva-says-hull-squad-9687653

WhiteJC

Fulham boss left scratching his head after Derby striker Chris Martin sees another penalty saved

Derby County striker Chris Martin was thwarted from the penalty spot for the second game in a row on Tuesday night.

The Scotland international saw his late spot kick for loan club Fulham kept out by Reading stopper Ali Al Habsi as the Royals claimed a 1-0 victory at the Madejski Stadium.

In his previous outing, Martin was denied from 12 yards by David Button in a 1-1 draw against Queens Park Rangers.

The former Norwich City front man has now had three penalties saved this term, having also failed to convert from the spot in a 2-1 win over Rotherham United last month.

In total, Fulham have failed to score seven of the nine penalties they have been awarded so far this season.

It should be pointed out that Martin has been responsible for both of the Cottagers' successful attempts.

Overall, though, it is a record that has left head coach Slavisa Jokanovic scratching his head.

"I've never seen anything similar," said Jokanovic. "We shoot nine times and miss seven. It's a really strange situation and we have to try to find some kind of a solution for this.

"When I came into football, I expected many problems but I never heard about this kind of problem for any coach or club ever.

"It's stress for my players because they were pushing hard for the equaliser in the game.

"I have used five players (for penalties) and the only player to score is Chris Martin. He has scored two before. I will just have to try to find some other solution."

Martin is on a season-long loan at Fulham. Rams boss Steve McClaren would like to bring him back to Derby this month but has admitted that now looks unlikely, with Jokanovic determined to keep hold of the player.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/fulham-boss-left-scratching-his-head-after-derby-striker-chris-martin-sees-another-penalty-saved/story-30085078-detail/story.html#3AmSycLr186HIWRQ.99

WhiteJC

Chris Martin transfer saga: Derby loanee speaks out over future at Fulham
Scottish international wants to put past behind him and focus on his football

Derby loanee Chris Martin wants to put the past behind him and focus on his football at Fulham.

The striker has been the subject of a transfer saga as he looked to return to the iPro Stadium to be closer to his family with Rams boss Steve McClaren openly courting him ahead of the transfer window opening.

This led to the 28-year-old being absent from the Whites' squad for the original game at Reading that was abandoned on December 30, earning the ire of Slavisa Jokanovic.

He missed the 2-1 loss to Brighton and 2-1 FA Cup win at Cardiff before he returned to the side against Barnsley, scoring from the penalty spot.

And all he wants to do now is put the past behind him and focus on his game, while putting his family first.

He told GetWestLondon : "I just want to concentrate on football. I need to look after myself and my family. I believe I put them first throughout my career.

"In January, that's been the case. People know there have been discussions. I'm not going to air my dirty laundry in public.

"All I want to do is focus on my football. I want to get over the disappointment of Reading but all players want to get on the pitch and play 90 minutes and I'm fortunate enough that I've managed to do that the last few games."

Derby have been keen for Martin to return but Fulham and Slavisa Jokanovic have made it crystal clear that he will not return in January. The striker insisted he is happy with that and believes it is reflected in his performances.

He explained: "You never know what can happen in football but the club have made their position very clear and I'm happy with that and it showed in my performance after coming back against Barnsley.

"We'll try and move on, come together as a team. We've got an aim to get into the top six and that's what we're aiming towards."

He added: "I'm enjoying my football. It's a very good team to play in. There are some great characters in the squad and I've really enjoyed my time here. Hopefully it can continue.

"We believe the play-offs are still possible. We believe it's attainable but we'll have to play even better than what we have done and grind out results."

Martin also revealed that he held several discussions with Jokanovic and also with the rest of the Fulham squad.

"We had discussions on several occasions. I put my point across and him the same. I've spoken to the lads on several occasions. I want to focus on my football moving forward with the club," he said.

"After Reading, I want to make an apology to the fans for the performance. I'm here and I'll try and allow my feet to do the talking, although I know it's not the best time to say this. All I want to do is concentrate on my football."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chris-martin-transfer-saga-derby-12504583

WhiteJC

Why are Fulham signing Werder Bremen player? Five things you need to know
Whites make a first addition in the January transfer window - and it's an international from the Bundesliga

Fulham will wrap up deal until the end of the season for Athanasios 'Thanos" Petsos that sees the Greek international make the switch from Werder Bremen.

Even though, boss Slavisa Jokanovic said out loud he was against loans after a succession of them last season went south, a good long hard look at the 25-year-old will determine if he is up to the tough ask of the Championship.

So why Petsos?

He's adaptable for a start.

Petsos made his FC Kaiserslautern debut in 2010 as a right back, before a stint further down the road as centre back and then more recently as defensive midfielder for Werder.

Foot in: Turkey's Hakan Calhanoglu feels is tackled by Thanos Petsos

Watch out Kevin McDonald

Saturday was not the best time for the ex-Wolves man to make an almighty mess of a back pass that fell kindly for QPR's Ryan Manning to open the scoring in the west London derby.

Six-foot Petsos has earned a reputation as a tough player in the Bundesliga, so maybe the Championship that has seen many a foreigner cast adrift on the sea of physicality will prove no reef to the new man.

Why a loan deal now?

In truth, Werder don't want him.

He's fallen down the club's pecking order, not least because of outspoken comments about boss Alexander Nouri.

With Danish international Thomas Delaney and Florian Grillitsch vying for Petsos's place, two might be company, but three's a crowd.

Here's a flavour of what Fulham are about to get.

Is he available for full transfer?

Petsos has a Werder contract until 2019, but something in the region of £850,000 would see the Germans release him if all goes well from now until the end of the season.

He would certainly be a lot cheaper than the last big import with a Greek background.

The name Kostas Mitroglous, £12 million and all that, still sends shivers down the back of Cottage hierarchy.

Right said Fred: Shakhtar's Brazilian defender Fred (front) tries to keep Thanos Petsos at bay

Anything else we need to know?

Apart from being tough, and with the technical skills demanded in the Bundesliga, Petsos has a bit of a dig on him - allegedly.

But a mere six goals in six years means he has a fair bit to catch up on when hitting the back of the net.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-signing-werder-bremen-player-12504198

WhiteJC

ASTON VILLA FACE COMPETITION TO LAND CHUBA AKPOM

With Ross McCormack's future with Aston Villa very much in doubt this month, bringing in another striker is one of Steve Bruce's main priorities this transfer window.

During his time at Hull, Bruce brought in Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom on loan for the 2015/16 season and the young forward enjoyed a great spell on Humberside, scoring seven goals in 41 appearances as the Tigers secured promotion back to the Premier League.

It was reported yesterday that the Gunners were once again preparing to let the 21-year-old striker leave the Emirates on loan after Akpom overcame a shoulder injury and Villa are interested in securing his services.

The Guardian are claiming that the Villains aren't along in their pursuit of Akpom as fellow Championship outfits Brentford and Fulham are interested in signing the England U21 international – but Villa remain in pole position.

Fulham were interested in re-signing McCormack this month but that deal will not go ahead, while Brentford are preparing for life without Scott Hogan who has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League with West Ham.

http://readastonvilla.com/2017/01/25/aston-villa-face-competition-land-chuba-akpom/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic: Fulham boss takes blame for penalty woe after seventh failure

Chris Martin has had three of his five penalties for Fulham this season saved

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says he is to blame for their poor record from penalties - as he chooses the taker.

Chris Martin's failure from 12 yards in Tuesday's 1-0 defeat at Reading means the Whites have seen seven of their last nine spot-kicks saved or missed.

"I changed the taker five times and the only one who scored a goal is Chris," Jokanovic told BBC Radio London.

"It is not a lottery. We will think what is best for us and try and find a better solution."

Martin saw his 90th-minute penalty saved by Royals keeper Ali Al-Habsi at the Madejski Stadium, meaning Fulham missed the chance to close the gap on the Championship play-offs.

The Whites are five points off sixth-placed Sheffield Wednesday after 27 games of the campaign.

On-loan Scotland international Martin has scored twice from the spot this season, in wins over Huddersfield and Barnsley, but has now had his other three efforts saved.

Other recent misses have proved costly for the Whites, with QPR keeper Alex Smithies denying Martin in the west London derby on Saturday and Brighton stopper David Stockdale keeping out Stefan Johansen's penalty on 2 January.

Both those games were goalless at the time, and Fulham went on to pick up just one point from the six available in those matches.

Chris Martin had his first-half penalty saved by QPR's Alex Smithies in Saturday's 1-1 draw

The west London club even missed two penalties in the 2-1 defeat by QPR back in October, with Tom Cairney and Sone Aluko the culprits.

"I cannot blame my players as it is my decision," Serb Jokanovic, 48, added.

"We miss many times this season and it is a frustrating situation. We are disappointed in the dressing room, like our supporters.

"I have never seen something like this."

Reading have also struggled with penalties this season, missing six of their 11 spot-kicks - but Jaap Stam's side have converted five of those misses on the rebound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38746408

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Hull: Prediction, team news, line-ups, start time, live coverage, head to head and odds - FA Cup preview

Fulham will fancy their chances of turning over Premier League opposition as Hull visit Craven Cottage in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday.

The Cottagers missed their seventh penalty of nine this season on Tuesday night as Chris Martin's miss meant Slavisa Jokanovic's side fell to a 1-0 Championship defeat at Reading.

Thw west London club will be hoping for better luck - or accuracy, at least - as Marco Silva's Hull come to town on Sunday afternoon.

The Tigers are in trouble as they sit 19th in the table, and despite a fair performance during last weekend's 2-0 defeat at Chelsea, the likely loss of Robert Snodgrass to Burnley - plus Ryan Mason's absence due to a fractured skull - means a cupset could well be on the cards.

START TIME

Fulham host Hull at Craven Cottage with kick-off scheduled for 12:30pm on Sunday, January 29.

LIVE COVERAGE

The match will not be televised live in the UK but you can follow all the build-up and action from 11:30am with Standard Sport's London Football live FA Cup blog. Enter your email address below to be informed when coverage begins.

TEAM NEWS

Fulham should have the same squad available which lost to Reading, though Michael Madl departed that game at half-time following an early facial injury.

Thanos Petsos could be available for the Cottagers, with the Greek midfielder set to join on loan from Werder Bremen for the rest of the season.

Hull are facing the combined problems of a small squad coupled with an injury crisis, with Curtis Davies a doubt due to a hamstring problem.

Ryan Mason (fractured skull), Will Keane (ACL) and Markus Henriksen (shoulder) are all out for the Tigers, while Robert Snodgrass is likely to have joined Burnley by Sunday.

POSSIBLE LINE-UPS

Fulham starting XI: Button, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone, McDonald, Johansen, Piazon, Cairney, Aluko, Martin

Hull starting XI: Jakupovic, Maguire, Dawson, Davies, Elabdellaoui, Huddlestone, Mason, Robertson, Goebel, Clucas, Hernandez

HEAD-TO-HEAD

PREDICTION

BETTING ODDS (via 888 Sport)

Fulham to win: 21/20
Draw:51/20
Hull to win: 47/20
Odds correct as of 1:30pm on January 25.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-vs-hull-prediction-team-news-lineups-start-time-live-coverage-head-to-head-and-odds-fa-cup-a3449711.html

WhiteJC

Grant: Striving For Perfection

Fulham's PL2 side took a break from the league on Monday night to play an away game up in Hartlepool against familiar opposition in Middlesbrough.

A 2-1 victory means that they now sit top of their group with six points and a game in hand.

"I was delighted with the way they played," commented Manager Peter Grant. "They played against a different system, Middlesbrough had a back-three which was a new challenge to some of the boys.

"But we prepared well for it and the boys carried out the details that we'd asked them to do very well, and that was very pleasing".

The breakthrough goal came in the 42nd minute with a strike from Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson and the game was sealed from the penalty spot by George Williams.

"Every player did their job really well," Grant stated. "Jon Dagur scored a wonderful strike, it was a fantastic goal.

"In this game I was very pleased in that our young players showed a great diligence, and we got the right result and right performance, which is very important.

"For us the Premier League Cup is very, very competitive. It's challenging but so far the boys have stood toe to toe with most of the teams, and we've been very pleased with them."

Away from the cup competition, the Whites sit second in PL2 Division 2, and Grant is chasing both promotion and silverware.

"I said to the boys at the start of the season," he revealed, "if we play well and play as well as we can do, we are capable of winning the league and we are capable of winning the cup. We have to strive for that."

With team members often being promoted to the senior squad or going out on loan, some of the younger players have been given the chance to step up to the PL2 side of late.

Grant explained: "Some of the young guys, like Steven Sessegnon who had a horrible time with injuries, he's come in and done exceptionally well with Marlon Fossey being away, and now there's a challenge for Marlon to come in.

"Young Moritz Jenz has done fantastically well coming in from Under-18s to play centre-back, he's been looking as if he's been there for a long time now for us.

"Josh Smile probably had his best 90 minutes for us this season so far, so there's challenges now for other players to get back into the side."

The PL2 league continues next Monday when Fulham host current leaders Swansea at Motspur Park.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/25/grant-boro-reaction

WhiteJC

SELL, SELL, SELL: 2 FULHAM MEN WHO MUST BE AXED BEFORE TUESDAY'S 11PM DEADLINE

The January transfer window is almost over!

Clubs will have to finish the season with what they've got come the deadline at 11pm on Tuesday 31st January because the emergency loan option for EFL clubs has now been abolished.

This is the last pit stop before the end of season run-in.

Fulham FC have failed to add any signings to their squad so far this window and could be waiting to moving some players on before making any additional signings.

This would free up some funds for them to make some signings of their own and push on for the play-offs.

The club have certainly impressed this season, currently they are 9th in the Championship and find themselves only five points of the play-offs.

Jokanovic will possibly look to reshape his squad ahead of the transfer deadline so that his side is well equipped for a play-off challenge.

Here are two players that haven't had the impact the club would have wanted and should be moved on before the window closes...

MATT SMITH

Smith has had a disappointing season, netting only two times in 17 appearances.

His stock seems to have fallen under manager Slavisa Jokanovic with fellow strikers Sone Aluko and Chris Martin getting the majority of game time.

Crucially, in light of the news that fellow Fulham striker Lucas Piazon has extended his loan from Chelsea with the club for the rest of the season, it appears that Smith has fallen even further down the pecking order and is surplus to requirements at Craven Cottage.

Fulham should try to cash in on him.

The striker clearly still has something to offer at 28-years-old and could be in demand at other clubs.

NEESKENS KEBANO

Kebano is another player who has found his game time limited this year at Craven Cottage after signing in the summer.

The midfielder has made just 12 appearances for Fulham this year and only created four chances.

Fulham appear to be interested in signing Stanadard Liege's Ibrahima Cisse for £2.2 million, meaning a midfielder may have to depart in order to balance the books.

This could well be Kebano who has had limited playing time compared to the rest of Fulham's dynamic midfield.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sell-sell-sell-2-fulham-men-who-must-be-axed-before-tuesdays-11pm-deadline/

WhiteJC

Burton Albion transfer news: Brewers linked with Fulham's Denmark under-21 midfielder

Burton Albion have been linked with a loan move for Fulham midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen. The Danish under-21 international is currently on the fringes of the first team at Craven Cottage and has not played for the Lilywhites since September.

A report from the Daily Mail's Simon Jones suggested that Christensen is weighing up a loan move to the Pirelli Stadium, with Albion boss Nigel Clough known to be chasing an attacking midfielder from a Championship rival.

"Fulham midfielder Lasse Christensen is discussing a loan move to Burton Albion," reads Jones' report.

"Christensen is keen to get more regular football and is ready to link up with Nigel Clough as the Burton boss looks to lead his side out of the Championship relegation zone."

The Burton Mail understands Christensen is one of several targets that Clough and his staff have identified. The Brewers boss confirmed in Wednesday's press conference that he has offers in for four loan players and one permanent.

Christensen's last appearance for Fulham came on September 21 in a 2-1 EFL Cup defeat to Bristol City.

Read more at http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burton-albion-transfer-news-brewers-linked-with-fulham-s-denmark-under-21-midfielder/story-30087472-detail/story.html#zeWBalYcAIJ3fiSO.99

ffc2004

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 26, 2017, 07:49:46 AM

Ryan Mason (fractured skull), Will Keane (ACL) and Markus Henriksen (shoulder) are all out for the Tigers, while Robert Snodgrass is likely to have joined Burnley by Sunday.

POSSIBLE LINE-UPS

Fulham starting XI: Button, Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone, McDonald, Johansen, Piazon, Cairney, Aluko, Martin

Hull starting XI: Jakupovic, Maguire, Dawson, Davies, Elabdellaoui, Huddlestone, Mason, Robertson, Goebel, Clucas, Hernandez

Got to love lazy journalism, can't see Mason making a start somehow...though hopefully of course he makes a full recovery soon.