watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Perspective

Started by HatterDon, February 01, 2017, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I'm more than a little stunned at the near total lack of permanent signings in our two most recent transfer periods. Here's a few things that stop me from synching in with the overwhelming negative moaning on hre.

1. I don't think our owner is an idiot.
2. I don't believe we weakened our squad by the loans out and transfers out we've committed to.
3. We're playing brilliant football and should continue to do well throughout the end of the season.
4. [AND THIS IS KEY] Joka got Watford promoted last season with a squad filled with loan players.

Here's what mitigates my relative positivity:

Should we duplicate Joka's feat with the Damned Dirty Yellows of last season and win promotion, we will have to have a HUGE turnover in personnel next summer in order to survive in the Premier League. This will leave us unsettled to start the season and unlikely to perform in a consistent manner until, say, very late in January when we will finally be able to beat Arsenal away.

The thing about loans is that we can look at players as immediate fixes without concern over their long-term impact on our side. The thing about loans is also, of course, that short-term fixes most often don't result in long-term solutions.

Having said all that, though, there's no need to worry at all about rebuilding a Premier League side from scratch next summer if we don't get promoted this spring. I think we've got the players, coach, and scheme to make the playoffs.

One step at a time.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nose

Quote from: HatterDon on February 01, 2017, 03:29:52 AM
I'm more than a little stunned at the near total lack of permanent signings in our two most recent transfer periods. Here's a few things that stop me from synching in with the overwhelming negative moaning on hre.

1. I don't think our owner is an idiot.
2. I don't believe we weakened our squad by the loans out and transfers out we've committed to.
3. We're playing brilliant football and should continue to do well throughout the end of the season.
4. [AND THIS IS KEY] Joka got Watford promoted last season with a squad filled with loan players.

Here's what mitigates my relative positivity:

Should we duplicate Joka's feat with the Damned Dirty Yellows of last season and win promotion, we will have to have a HUGE turnover in personnel next summer in order to survive in the Premier League. This will leave us unsettled to start the season and unlikely to perform in a consistent manner until, say, very late in January when we will finally be able to beat Arsenal away.

The thing about loans is that we can look at players as immediate fixes without concern over their long-term impact on our side. The thing about loans is also, of course, that short-term fixes most often don't result in long-term solutions.

Having said all that, though, there's no need to worry at all about rebuilding a Premier League side from scratch next summer if we don't get promoted this spring. I think we've got the players, coach, and scheme to make the playoffs.

One step at a time.

you make a lot of sense  except the manager and best players will leave.
i would be more relaxed of you guaranteed they would stay for a proper strengthening in summer, but they will inevitably all go.

to bring in a couple of decent signings now would have been a pyscological boost to everyone, what has happened will seve to undermine the apparent falsehood that our management will do whatever it takes.

Fulham 442

The January transfer window is a notoriously difficult one.  We don't know what went on behind the scenes regarding possible signings.  We do know that Joca wanted to keep Cairney and Sess and didn't want to send Martin back to Derby early - all of which happened.  We also know he was open to bringing McCormack back on loan but the team and staff didn't want him so that was out.  I don't know anything about Cyriac except it appeared he was only mentioned when the signing was announced, with an option to buy if he is any good.  I am trying to stay positive but of course if Joca and our best players go in the summer then it will definitely be gloom and doom all round.  Here's hoping Joca will stay and has a list of summer targets and that funds are made available.