News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Football supporters really are lowest in the pecking order.

Started by Southdowns White, February 08, 2017, 02:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

Yet again I cannot attend another game because it is being played on a Sunday at an earlier time. I coach youth teams on a Sunday Morning and the early kick off means I will not get to the game in time from Sussex. I don't have to coach children but if everyone took that attitude there would be no weekend sport or youth clubs, events etc for the youth of today. I know the game is on TV but it's not really the same, I know of 2 other season ticket holders who also cannot go.
It is very difficult to commit to any other activity from Friday to Monday without missing at least couple of games a season. At least I've not paid any money for the Tottenham game so don't lose out but it is nice to be able to attend these big games. I would at one time make a weekend of some away games but you now cannot book trains and hotels early for fear of the games being moved.
Sorry for my rant, it was once a problem for premiership clubs, now it seems it's the Championship too.

bobby01

I feel your pain wholeheartedly. They are all chasing the dollar from TVs money. I feel at times we as supporters are a nuisance to be accommodated. Why they want the money I don't know they just give it to the players and their agents, no reductions on prices for supporters anywhere after the biggest money deal ever agreed with tv companies.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

toshes mate

Quote from: Southdowns White on February 08, 2017, 02:54:38 PM
Yet again I cannot attend another game because it is being played on a Sunday at an earlier time. I coach youth teams on a Sunday Morning and the early kick off means I will not get to the game in time from Sussex. I don't have to coach children but if everyone took that attitude there would be no weekend sport or youth clubs, events etc for the youth of today. I know the game is on TV but it's not really the same, I know of 2 other season ticket holders who also cannot go.
It is very difficult to commit to any other activity from Friday to Monday without missing at least couple of games a season. At least I've not paid any money for the Tottenham game so don't lose out but it is nice to be able to attend these big games. I would at one time make a weekend of some away games but you now cannot book trains and hotels early for fear of the games being moved.
Sorry for my rant, it was once a problem for premiership clubs, now it seems it's the Championship too.

+1

toshes mate

Quote from: bobby01 on February 08, 2017, 03:28:44 PM
I feel your pain wholeheartedly. They are all chasing the dollar from TVs money. I feel at times we as supporters are a nuisance to be accommodated. Why they want the money I don't know they just give it to the players and their agents, no reductions on prices for supporters anywhere after the biggest money deal ever agreed with tv companies.

+1

nose

oh dear the OP is one of my favourite topics!
I too feel your pain and am so pleased that you take time to coach youngsters and are prepared to sacrifice the watched game with spurs in favour of the coaching (you may yet be lucky and have a postponment!).
BUT
I do not believe it right you should have to miss out. Football sold its soul to the TV companies and now they run roughshod over the rest of us. I am sure that the long term interest of the game is not being served.

filham

Yes we all suffer because of the fact that TV rules the roost. The players of course get huge wages and I suppose stadiums are a little more comfortable than they used to be but overall I think things used to be more balanced.

alfie

this does not apply to everyone, it is easier for me to have games on a Sunday, quite often i am on call on a Saturday. Sunday 2pm ko would be just perfect for me.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Bill2

Always ging to be at the earliest was a Sunday game as Spurs are in Europa on Thursday. Best you could have hoped for was a Monday game.

hovewhite

Hate games moved to sundays,work the rail delays cant make it myself.but should be home to watch it.
TV rules the roost it seems and for me fans are last on the radar,more like mugs.

AlexW132

May sound selfish but I'm glad it's on the Sunday as I'm away on the Saturday. But I agree, for most people it's an inconvenience.

Southdowns White

I suppose  games not being at a set time is the norm  now and not the exception, it just means that more of us season ticket holders will miss games and non season ticket  holders may end up seeing more. Maybe  we should be able to get some compensation if the league games are not 3pm Saturday or 7.45 Tuesday or Wednesday. 

Wolf

You do know that just as much youth football is played Saturday mornings as Sundays e.g. Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire leagues?
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Southdowns White

Quote from: Wolf on February 09, 2017, 09:41:28 AM

You do know that just as much youth football is played Saturday mornings as Sundays e.g. Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire leagues?
My own 11 year old son plays football on a Saturday morning this week It's an 11.15 kick off, I just send his mother along to take him and bring him home. I do not coach football anymore, Sunday mornings it's another sport.  altogether.