watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it now time for Mr Hodgson

Started by H4usuallysitting, February 08, 2017, 06:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Director of Football, has this ever really been a successful position in this Country?
If my memory serves me well its caused many a problem at lots of clubs,springing to mind at moment Harry boy walking at Portsmouth, McMenemy caused problems at Saints when he went upstairs, and our our own Mickey Adams position at Leicester was undermined by Dave Bassett.
Fergie,Cloughie,Sir Alf,Stein,to name a few of the greats,did they need one.

toshes mate

I would love to see them as Board members looking after supporter liaison, player development and transfers for Mr Jokanovic.

The Old Count

Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 08, 2017, 09:58:04 PM
Opinion pal, opinion!
I love what we had under Roy and where we'd got to, but 'I' still prefer the football we played under Tigana and indeed now under Slavisa!
Sometimes those rigid banks of 4 defending were to stifle the opposition and did not make for great entertainment IMO (if that's allowed)
Unfortunately at present Slavisa is having to rebuild a team to get us up and then, IMO again, I think would be very entertaining and successful in the top tier. Roy had a different problem initially in that he had to keep us up - which we all know he did brilliantly!

Fair point mate

Milo

Milo

Quote from: bobbo on February 09, 2017, 07:17:33 AM
Never go back it rarely works out.

That's not knocking Roy and ray but we''re 7 years on from that heady era and things have changed quite dramatically.

Patients patients .

He would probably argue if he had had that opinion about British football then he would never have returned to manage us, Liverpool, and then England!

Jem

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 08, 2017, 10:02:43 PM
At the time Roy was good for Fulham and Fulham was good for Roy. A marriage made in heaven.
As long as he stays away from the coaching side and any substitutions, Roy's dithering, and indicisiveness,  and chin stroking would not be tolerated any more. We have moved on. I shall always be grateful to him.
But He shoved off and left us, to manage Liverpool cause he thought the grass was greener.
"But He shoved off and left us, to manage Liverpool cause he thought the grass was greener"

A littly harsh Woolly. As much as I hate Liverpool that was a big step up from the club that I love.
I cannot blame him for that move.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Statto on February 08, 2017, 11:25:42 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 08, 2017, 08:52:19 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on February 08, 2017, 07:56:56 PM
I always thought Roy was so good for us because he's a fantastic coach. The players knew exactly what was expected at every minute. Not sure how that translates to being a DoF, personally.

He has good knowledge of European football, of course, but genuinely don't see how he'd significantly improve us as a club.

I was thinking he had a similar role at Milan

My understanding also. Wasn't he in that role, or about to take it up, when he joined us?

IMO the issues are twofold and simple:

1. We need a DoF. Badly. Transfer negotiations, and anything else do with players or football, needs to be taken out of Mackintosh's hands, and kept as far away from him as possible.

2. Roy would be an excellent DoF. He's made for the role. And made for Fulham.

Thank you Statto..... I also think Mr Lewington would be a good ambassador for the club

Jims Dentist

Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 08, 2017, 06:29:37 PM
Good call as long as he/they get no say in the team/tactics and we revert to 'plodding football', although they would assist defensively of course.
Leave the team and tactics to Slavisa
IF SLAVISA IS HERE NEXT SEASON?
After the way things have gone with The Board/ Macintosh, I doubt he will be.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jem on February 09, 2017, 07:53:33 PM
At the time Roy was good for Fulham and Fulham was good for Roy. A marriage made in heaven.
As long as he stays away from the coaching side and any substitutions, Roy's dithering, and indicisiveness,  and chin stroking would not be tolerated any more. We have moved on. I shall always be grateful to him.
But He shoved off and left us, to manage Liverpool cause he thought the grass was greener.
"But He shoved off and left us, to manage Liverpool cause he thought the grass was greener"

A littly harsh Woolly. As much as I hate Liverpool that was a big step up from the club that I love.

It probably was a little harsh. But he had unfinished business at Fulham, and should have stayed as his stock was high. They never gave him much of a chance at Liverpool, but their expectations are much higher, and a lot different to managing Fulham, Finland, Malmo, Switzerland, Blackburn Rovers and West Bromwich Albion, and he should have realised that, and he made one error too many, or nearer the point, he failed to game manage on too many occasions for one reason or another. Sometimes you need to know your limitations.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jem

I ca
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 11, 2017, 04:47:55 AM

It probably was a little harsh. But he had unfinished business at Fulham, and should have stayed as his stock was high. They never gave him much of a chance at Liverpool, but their expectations are much higher, and a lot different to managing Fulham, Finland, Malmo, Switzerland, Blackburn Rovers and West Bromwich Albion, and he should have realised that, and he made one error too many, or nearer the point, he failed to game manage on too many occasions for one reason or another. Sometimes you need to know your limitations.
I cannot disagree with this especially after the way it ended with England, however,  I will always be grateful for what he did for Fulham.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jem on February 11, 2017, 10:32:57 AM
I ca
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 11, 2017, 04:47:55 AM

I cannot disagree with this especially after the way it ended with England, however,  I will always be grateful for what he did for Fulham.

and so say all of us, and so say all of us, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow,  and so say all of us.
If Roy had stayed on and built on what he had started, I very much doubt we would have ended up getting relegated when we did.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.