watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it now time for Mr Hodgson

Started by H4usuallysitting, February 08, 2017, 06:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

To return to the club (or Mr Lexington) as Directors (or similar) of Football.....my reasoning is they would both be excellent Ambassadors of the club - and they must be able to identify new recruits & bring general harmony to the club....am I going mad

BestOfBrede

Good call as long as he/they get no say in the team/tactics and we revert to 'plodding football', although they would assist defensively of course.
Leave the team and tactics to Slavisa

No one like Leggat

Not for me. Roy had his time with us, we need to move on.

H4usuallysitting

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: No one like Leggat on February 08, 2017, 06:33:57 PM
Not for me. Roy had his time with us, we need to move on.

What about Mr Lewington

PokerMatt

I always thought Roy was so good for us because he's a fantastic coach. The players knew exactly what was expected at every minute. Not sure how that translates to being a DoF, personally.

He has good knowledge of European football, of course, but genuinely don't see how he'd significantly improve us as a club.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

The Old Count

Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 08, 2017, 06:29:37 PM
Good call as long as he/they get no say in the team/tactics and we revert to 'plodding football', although they would assist defensively of course.

The 'plodding football' that led to the most succesful period in the clubs history. 

RaySmith

At least we were solid  defensively!

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 08, 2017, 07:56:56 PM
I always thought Roy was so good for us because he's a fantastic coach. The players knew exactly what was expected at every minute. Not sure how that translates to being a DoF, personally.

He has good knowledge of European football, of course, but genuinely don't see how he'd significantly improve us as a club.

I was thinking he had a similar role at Milan

EJL

Quote from: The Old Count on February 08, 2017, 08:01:06 PM

The 'plodding football' that led to the most succesful period in the clubs history. 
Probably talking about the 'plodding football' that England played in the most recent World Cup, to be fair.

nose

The Old Count

Quote from: EJL on February 08, 2017, 08:57:43 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on February 08, 2017, 08:01:06 PM

Probably talking about the 'plodding football' that England played in the most recent World Cup, to be fair.

Sorry mate but The phrase 'to revert to' indicates that the comment related to the Fulham team under Roy. I don't like swipes at Hodgson in regard to his time at our club.  People can have a go at Vic Buckingham, Magath or Alan Dicks but not Roy - surely.

BestOfBrede

Opinion pal, opinion!
I love what we had under Roy and where we'd got to, but 'I' still prefer the football we played under Tigana and indeed now under Slavisa!
Sometimes those rigid banks of 4 defending were to stifle the opposition and did not make for great entertainment IMO (if that's allowed)
Unfortunately at present Slavisa is having to rebuild a team to get us up and then, IMO again, I think would be very entertaining and successful in the top tier. Roy had a different problem initially in that he had to keep us up - which we all know he did brilliantly!

Woolly Mammoth

At the time Roy was good for Fulham and Fulham was good for Roy. A marriage made in heaven.
As long as he stays away from the coaching side and any substitutions, Roy's dithering, and indicisiveness,  and chin stroking would not be tolerated any more. We have moved on. I shall always be grateful to him.
But He shoved off and left us, to manage Liverpool cause he thought the grass was greener.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

Roy took FFC as high as it has ever been. Not the most exciting football but we were very tough to beat. The current squad wouldn't suit Roy at all. So, in the firm belief that you can never go home again, I'd prefer to remember Roy for all the good and the legend that he is. So Roy, come round when you need some love. Just don't expect to be head coach again.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on February 08, 2017, 11:25:42 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 08, 2017, 08:52:19 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on February 08, 2017, 07:56:56 PM

I was thinking he had a similar role at Milan

My understanding also. Wasn't he in that role, or about to take it up, when he joined us?

IMO the issues are twofold and simple:

1. We need a DoF. Badly. Transfer negotiations, and anything else do with players or football, needs to be taken out of Mackintosh's hands, and kept as far away from him as possible.

2. Roy would be an excellent DoF. He's made for the role. And made for Fulham.

I agree with both point 1 and point 2.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 08, 2017, 11:11:28 PM
Roy took FFC as high as it has ever been. Not the most exciting football but we were very tough to beat. The current squad wouldn't suit Roy at all. So, in the firm belief that you can never go home again, I'd prefer to remember Roy for all the good and the legend that he is. So Roy, come round when you need some love. Just don't expect to be head coach again.

The England team played open, attractive football in the qualifiers only to let Roy down badly in the tournament with nobody playing up to their club standard. The idea that he can only play one way, defensively, is just plain nonsense.

Really, how many of the Fulham squad under him would have got into another top half PL club side? Schwarzer? And they all fell away quickly after he left through age. He chose the right tactics for the quality and age of the squad.

Slaphead in Qatar

Not sure he would be good in championship.

bobbo

Never go back it rarely works out.

That's not knocking Roy and ray but we''re 7 years on from that heady era and things have changed quite dramatically.

Patients patients .
1975 just leaving home full of hope