watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Leicester vs Derby

Started by HV71, February 08, 2017, 09:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV71

I know we hate DERBY  - but I was just wondering what people on here thought - they have made 8 changes yet still look quite strong . They have also just brought on Nugent  - not a bad sub.

Has our squad got this level of strength in depth?

davew

Damn, forgot the replay was on tonight, is Martin playing?? I won't answer your question about squad depth comparison except to say strikers we are way behind, anywhere else we are more than a match!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

BestOfBrede

How on earth did Leicester win the premiership?
Awful this year!

SP

Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 08, 2017, 09:36:06 PM
Awful this year!

Keep hearing they're struggling because they didn't replace Cante who protected the defence & linked to the strikers.  I'm sure thats true, but isn't the bigger problem their failure to strengthen their central defenders?  Huth is past it & Morgan seems so slow this season?

BestOfBrede

Quote from: SP on February 08, 2017, 09:45:13 PM
Awful this year!

Keep hearing they're struggling because they didn't replace Cante who protected the defence & linked to the strikers.  I'm sure thats true, but isn't the bigger problem their failure to strengthen their central defenders?  Huth is past it & Morgan seems so slow this season?
Agree and think their attacking play has lost its way also. They get up there and waste the final ball. Hmm somehow sounds familiar now said, come to think on it!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on February 08, 2017, 09:31:47 PM
Damn, forgot the replay was on tonight, is Martin playing?? I won't answer your question about squad depth comparison except to say strikers we are way behind, anywhere else we are more than a match!

Yes I believe Martin is playing, as they have a lazy lump with a number 9 written on his back loafing around up front with a fag in his hand.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 08, 2017, 09:50:40 PM
Quote from: SP on February 08, 2017, 09:45:13 PM
Awful this year!

Agree and think their attacking play has lost its way also. They get up there and waste the final ball. Hmm somehow sounds familiar now said, come to think on it!

And the likes of Vardy since he got his hundred grand a week contract in the summer not doing a tap,couple of others as well.

cmg

The two Derby defenders who have just been destroyed by Demerai Gray won't be finding their way back into the ground before the play-offs are over.

Fabulous goal from a player who was basically Pat Roberts Lite in the England age group teams.

ToodlesMcToot

Just a thought but, if you play for a club like Leicester in this day and age and the universe clicks just right so that you win the Premier League, it has to be very tough to be motivated the following season. Best player sold. You 100% know that winning it again just will not happen. It has to be difficult for CR and the players to get back to the mentality of being an average club again. I think they are having trouble getting their heads right again after that miracle.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Sgt Fulham

Brilliant. Any Derby loss is a good game as far as I'm concerned.

JoelH5

Real shame Derby just had to play 120 mins of football ;)
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Snibbo

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 08, 2017, 10:22:01 PM
My thoughts exactly

Carborundum

Two thoughts about Derby.  The players that don't normally make their starting XI weren't as good as their equivalents from Leicester but were probably a bit better than our bench warmers. 

With only 365 evenings in a year, how on earth did Derby end up monopolising prime time BBC1 evening schedule for 2 of them?

One thought about Leicester.  In the immediate aftermath of securing the title, Ranieri said that they would do well to finish 10th the following season.  They have a manager with a very strong understanding of human nature.

toshes mate

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 08, 2017, 10:15:02 PM
Just a thought but, if you play for a club like Leicester in this day and age and the universe clicks just right so that you win the Premier League, it has to be very tough to be motivated the following season. Best player sold. You 100% know that winning it again just will not happen. It has to be difficult for CR and the players to get back to the mentality of being an average club again. I think they are having trouble getting their heads right again after that miracle.

I suspect and even believe you may be right.  Last season was unbelievable; this season it is back down to earth.

toshes mate

Quote from: JoelH5 on February 08, 2017, 10:22:01 PM

and fall short...  they'll be gutted all ways...  no way back now....  McClaren's days are numbered....  Martin needs his nappy changed....  and mama ain't listening     

alfie

I just loved the look on Mclarens face when that 2nd Leicester goal went in
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ron

Quote from: Carborundum on February 09, 2017, 07:04:10 AM
Two thoughts about Derby.  The players that don't normally make their starting XI weren't as good as their equivalents from Leicester but were probably a bit better than our bench warmers. 

With only 365 evenings in a year, how on earth did Derby end up monopolising prime time BBC1 evening schedule for 2 of them?

One thought about Leicester.  In the immediate aftermath of securing the title, Ranieri said that they would do well to finish 10th the following season.  They have a manager with a very strong understanding of human nature.

But you might also say that in saying it, he has created a self-fulfilling prophesy....giving the squad a reason - maybe even subconsciously - to take the foot off the pedal. Harnessing human nature by continually providing targets to ensure continuing results is
surely the first requirement of a manager in a results driven industry....

nose

it was a dreadful match start to finish
when so many changes are made it is hard to draw conclusions, even good players seemed out of their depths.

grandad

Derby´s Camara is a real nasty , cheating little piece of $hit. Derby were up to their usual thug tactics. How the poor ref didn´t award 2 of the 3 pen shouts is beyond me. The Derby GK should have also been sent off for deliberate handball.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Carborundum

Quote from: ron on February 09, 2017, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on February 09, 2017, 07:04:10 AM

But you might also say that in saying it, he has created a self-fulfilling prophesy....giving the squad a reason - maybe even subconsciously - to take the foot off the pedal. Harnessing human nature by continually providing targets to ensure continuing results is
surely the first requirement of a manager in a results driven industry....
You make a good point about self-fulfilling prophesy.  We will never know what would have happened if he hadn't said it, so it's hard to know for sure.

I thought Ranieri did a great job of not uttering targets in public last year.  He may well have been providing them in the privacy of the dressing room.  But I rather suspect he was simply adopting an approach to winning the next game that might be summarised as "ain't broke don't fix."  His understanding of human nature seems well captured by the following quote:

"When I arrived in August I started to look at the videos of all the games from the previous season.  When I spoke with the players I realised that they were afraid of Italian tactics.  They did not look convinced and neither was I.  I have great admiration for those who build new tactical systems, but I always thought the most important thing a good coach must do is to build the team around the characteristics of his players.  So I told the players that I trusted them and would speak very little of tactics"

To do that and finish top of the pile seems inspirational to me and has resonances beyond football.  For example, think of the best, most successful boss you ever worked for.  When I do that it's the trust I remember, and how I didn't want to let them down.