watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oh well, maybe next season then

Started by Wearethewhites, February 10, 2017, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

9 pts between us and 6th place now, Sheff Weds, who, with 2 very good acquisitions in Rhodes and Winnall, look very clinical.

Yes we didn't buy them, yes I may get over it one day, but, I still stand by what I say, that ambitious acquisitions like that make all the difference.

nose

if we win tomorrow we are still just six points from sixth place
the big problem we have is the squad remains thin on the ground and i suspect could have done with a boost,  a couple of quality signings would have done that. wednesday have backed their team and manager, our management have probably thrown away a real golden opportunity for us as we did under ernie clay.

it is mighty frustrating

Woolly Mammoth

There is always the Football Association Cup.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Chutney

Our January window cost us our entire season.
C O Y W

Lighthouse

It does feel a little as if our season is ended already. Two squad players brought in hardly makes you think the club want success this season. Could be because we are saving up to buy the other loan players we have. But then again the club does suddenly feel like a balloon that is slowly losing air. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Road Less Travelled

And if they don't go up via the play offs they could be in trouble with FFP because of those acquisitions.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Chutney on February 11, 2017, 12:49:03 AM
Our January window cost us our entire season.

It's certainly looking that way. We may need to win our next three League matches just to stand still.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

WE began the seaso  by beating Newcastle, and were playing very well, and  at the top of the table.

Then we had a bad period, and dropped  down the table, but came back, playing scintillating football, which impressed everybody.

But now thee is a sense of not seizing the time - as if it top 6 was within our grasp.

The Martin saga, then not strengthening the  squad significantly, have made fans  begin to feel resigned to  another season in the Ch, - and another rebuild during the summer, maybe losing manager and top players?

Obviously, we feel frustrated - if only  we'd got in at least one decent  striker, not to criticise Cyriac  who may turn out to be a great acquisition, but we still look  thin in that department and generally, if we  get injuries to essential players, like Kallas , Cairney or Johansen, for example.

Also, bound to ask why clubs like H/field, at the top with us early in the  season, and the ones we thought  would fall off, are still up there, and it is us who have fallen off the pace somewhat. And, of course, we have thrashed  H/field and Reading at home - given them footballing lessons, and maybe still seem better, BUT they have  ground out the results, and we  are inconsistent.

Still, we are still in with a chance, if we can put a run together, and today  another 3 points are up for grabs.

COYW!

Neil D

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 11, 2017, 04:57:12 AM

It's certainly looking that way. We may need to win our next three League matches just to stand still.
That's about the sum of it.  Time to fetch our collective coat.

toshes mate

It isn't ever over until it really is over, as Danny Murphy will tell you.

bobby01

At the beginning of the season most were happy with top ten finish. We are still a work in progress and in my opinion are not really prepared to go up this year. The big factor is getting joka signed up, but I am also frustrated that we are a paper thin squad and feel that for a million Bogle had to be worth a gamble. I do think that plans are there to strengthen in the summer for an all out push next year, but with our management who knows.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

toshes mate

You have to live in the moment and not the past or the future.  This season still has a lot of water that hasn't passed under the bridge yet.  Football isn't for the faint hearted.

That is my trio of cliches for today.....

nose

and in the end 7 penalty misses equating in all probability to 9 points are just as relevant as lack of players But because of those misses it made the need for new players all the greater.

bill taylors apprentice

Like someone said above, I too feel a bit like the balloon slowing losing air.

For those who often say "I trust the club" or similar in other posts, I say theres been little evidence of ambition so far apart from signing Jokanovic but having got him in the club seem to be doing everything to pi$$ him off!

Anyone who wants to throw sustainability into the debate is missing the point, I'm all for limiting the risks but I would prefer to invest ambitiously than wait for the stagnation and decline that will only bring other financial problems.

Anyone thinking there a grand plan and we will be making a big push next summer will be telling us they believe in fairy's next !

As for FFP.
I say FFS !

Twig

Quote from: The Road Less Travelled on February 11, 2017, 01:49:25 AM
And if they don't go up via the play offs they could be in trouble with FFP because of those acquisitions.

How on earth do you work that out?  I am fed up with FFP being trotted out routinely as an excuse for our appalling January transfer window.  Look at the net cost of our summer transfers and you will see that we had significant leeway to sign players.  We just failed, simple.

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on February 11, 2017, 05:29:14 AM
WE began the seaso  by beating Newcastle, and were playing very well, and  at the top of the table.

Then we had a bad period, and dropped  down the table, but came back, playing scintillating football, which impressed everybody.

But now thee is a sense of not seizing the time - as if it top 6 was within our grasp.

The Martin saga, then not strengthening the  squad significantly, have made fans  begin to feel resigned to  another season in the Ch, - and another rebuild during the summer, maybe losing manager and top players?

Obviously, we feel frustrated - if only  we'd got in at least one decent  striker, not to criticise Cyriac  who may turn out to be a great acquisition, but we still look  thin in that department and generally, if we  get injuries to essential players, like Kallas , Cairney or Johansen, for example.

Also, bound to ask why clubs like H/field, at the top with us early in the  season, and the ones we thought  would fall off, are still up there, and it is us who have fallen off the pace somewhat. And, of course, we have thrashed  H/field and Reading at home - given them footballing lessons, and maybe still seem better, BUT they have  ground out the results, and we  are inconsistent.

Still, we are still in with a chance, if we can put a run together, and today  another 3 points are up for grabs.

COYW!

Interesting to recall that during that good start we had not signed Sigurdsson (reported £4m fee) and Martin  and (probable £9m fee ). So much for big money signings.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on February 11, 2017, 11:10:05 AM

How on earth do you work that out?  I am fed up with FFP being trotted out routinely as an excuse for our appalling ajanuaty window.  Look at the net cost of our summer transfers and you will see that we had significant leeway to sign players.  We just failed.
well the poster is talking about Wednesday not Fulham.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 10, 2017, 11:52:39 PM
We are still in that aren't we?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Nero

Quote from: MJG on February 11, 2017, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Twig on February 11, 2017, 11:10:05 AM

How on earth do you work that out?  I am fed up with FFP being trotted out routinely as an excuse for our appalling ajanuaty window.  Look at the net cost of our summer transfers and you will see that we had significant leeway to sign players.  We just failed.
well the poster is talking about Wednesday not Fulham.

but Wednesday are probably taking the fact that as QPR have had no penalty applied on them screw FFP its meaningless, so spend what it takes to get promoted and block it all in red tape

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on February 11, 2017, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 10, 2017, 11:52:39 PM
We are still in that aren't we?

At least till we play Tottenham Hotspur.

Never forget your Roots.