News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How realistic is automatic promotion next season?

Started by Aaron, February 11, 2017, 10:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So the January window was a bit of a bust, we looked scrappy at the back today and gave away a couple of goals but we're also dominating possession in most games and getting a lot of results too.

You'd think going up through the playoffs this season would probably lead to us getting relegated from the PL the next, it just doesn't feel like we're ready yet.  But could we be ready to do a Newcastle next season?

I think we definitely have the manager for it if we can keep hold of him.  Who do we have in the squad at present that you could see starting in the PL in a couple of seasons?  Who do we need to bring in?

Alternatively, do we think we're going to lose the manager, have another season with no investment and be looking at a relegation battle next season?

davew

As far as I know, we have dominated in almost every game this season, where has it got us, 12 wins out of 30 matches, wonderful! Dream on about the play-offs, agreed we are not ready, nowhere near it! Combining some of your comments and sorry if I appear to sound abrupt, I will start with the 1 point that I do agree with you which is we do have a good manager, no I don't think he will stay, we have maybe 4 players good enough to play in the PL, so if we can't bring in 2 or 3 to get us into the PL we certainly won't be bringing in another 18 to keep us there! I think my short summary will cover the other points raised except we won't be relegated next season, close but no cigar!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

nose

no offence, honest. let us see where this one finishes up. we can still do it, unlikely but possible.
but i fear an exodus if we fail so will have to re-build again. maybe we can get warbuton because i suspect joca will walk mid may... warburton loves statistical analytics for transfers (for the avoidance of doubt the last bit was a joke)

twang

Too many uncertainties to plan for next season. The biggest one is of course that Jokanovic' contract is up and that he has suitors that are bigger/better than us. So if he doesn't feel he gets the tools to do his job properly here, why would he extend that deal?
Also Kalas, Piazon, Martin, Cyriac and Petsos will return to their parent clubs unless all three parties agree otherwise. And at the very least Cairney and Sessegnon will be targets for Premier League clubs.

So much can change that it's far from a guarantee that we will be even at status quo in the summer. The club had a great opportunity to support Jok in a promotion push this January, but the board blew it.

I'm not saying this season's over, but if we manage to get into the play offs it's a great achievement by the coaching staff and players.

bill taylors apprentice

Its about as realistic as any mid table team that plays nice football but doesn't have the edge to grind out results throughout the season!

Because if we don't go up this season or at least finish strongly its as likely we will loose many of the personnel and be back to square one again.

Lighthouse

The problem next season is the same as it was last season. We will need a few strikers. We will need a centre half or two if we cannot buy Kalas. I think the midfield and the wide players show flashes and we should be ok without investment. Plus we will need to replace the players who will be tempted to move elsewhere. The manager may look at the problems we have had with bringing in players and decide to walk.

A big problem in the Summer and one that with a bit of thought in January would have been less scary. Promotion relies on so many things in the Summer and I honestly don't trust the club to do the right thing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RaySmith

Khan could buy us  promotion with his wealth, except  there is FFP - which could be an excuse for not spending, though he probably feels that he does spend a lot on FFC, without much return.

I have thought of the phrase 'to spoil the ship for an 'apporth of tar', but then some would point out what we've spent this season in transfers.

But it is frustrating -  of so near and so far re  reaching a play-off place, with our manager and   much admired style of play, but which  has often  lucked a cutting edge, combined with defensive fragility.

Re the op's question - well, I have the same worries as expressed by others here, that this squad  could be broken up in the summer - well, it will definitely be because  a few are on loan, others will be  targets of bigger clubs, and we could also lose our manager.

Though we can still reach a play-of place, though an outside  chance , and today's result was very encouraging in terms of battling spirit, and I want see us  keep going for it, rather than  giving up - which I'm sure the manger and players want too.

ScalleysDad

I would like to be uber optimistic but it looks like a dismantling of the current squad this summer with the manager also finding the exit door. That will mean another rebuild for next season but with hopefully a few wise purchases so that the players are at least a bit more vested in the Club. The new structure will take out season 17/18 so it's 19/20 to be at least up there with the Newcastles and Brightons of this season, one has the strongest squad, one has built, re built and consolidated so it takes time. 
Parker will be fully badged up and have had some coaching experience by then. There's a thought.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Not forgetting of course that if we did go up we would get millions and millions and millions of pounds to improve the squad
and no stupid FL restrictions.
Then Mr Khan will have the opportunity to display his plans
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

DevonFFC

Do not get this not ready lark for going up. We are dammed with we do and dammed if we don't. I for one would like to see us in the prem again.
If we don't go up we will undoubtedly loose our manager and many key players and we will be rebuilding again.
If we go up, we will keep our manager I would think and maybe Khan will be able to flex his spending power as we will be in the big league which is where he will want us. Plus we will become more attractive than the likes of basically anyone outside of London bar the two in Manchester and Liverpool being in London.
If we come straight back down we get the parachute payments again.

RaySmith

Completely agree that we should go all out for promotion whenever we get the opportunity - like now, still, because  the club will get shedloads of money just by going up, so hopefully  Khan will spend on the necessary additions to squad  quality.

To take the  view of 'we'll only go up when we have the squad to survive' means you'll probably never be ready. You have to seize  the moment when it comes.

toshes mate

It's a good question the OP raises and the lead comments form davew and nose put opposing views about this season.  It isn't over until the season is over and as Ray Smith says we should take any and all chances of promotion when they come along.  The secret is always a winning streak because it shows confidence is on the up and an ability to grind out results.  As we have a run of home matches of significantly greater number than away then we have to make Craven Cottage a fortress where teams don't expect to get anything, not even a miserly point.  If we can master the art of killing opponents off at the Cottage then we have an outside chance of disturbing the odds substantially by May.  After that who knows.

I do hope we do ourselves justice if nothing else because that is what SJ will want more than anything else.

Mince n Tatties

I haven't gave up on this season yet.
Win all our remaining games... 064.gif
Coyw.

Berserker

I think we could do it with a lot of planning and luck
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

davew

Quote from: Berserker on February 12, 2017, 11:30:36 AM
I think we could do it with a lot of planning and luck
Not much time left now for a lot of planning, the horse has bolted!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MJG

It's going to be more realistic next season than it was this season. But still very very difficult to achieve.
If we find ourselves still in championship for next season as it looks likely then two things will decide that.
The managerial situation  and summer transfers,  both in and out.

filham

We new at the beginning of the season that we needed a couple of strikers and a couple of really good central defenders , we have failed to sign satisfactory players in both positions  in spite of bringing in sixteen new players.
What makes anyone think we will do better next season.

fcfulham55

With our chairman,  very unrealistic.

We'll lose a few key players, replace them with loanees. And the odd 1 or 2 might come in for very low undisclosed fees.

No doubt Khan will be muttering something like "what it takes, we shall do!"

Which is the "whatever it shall take"  he said last year before the season ticket sales.  But slightly re worded.

I can see Khan cashing in on Sess and Cairney minimum.  And Slav will walk.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

copthornemike

To answer the OP we have to be genuine contenders.
Whoever we will finish this season we are in a far better position than for sometime - provided SJ's contract is renewed and our midfield trio retained next season.
There were still some question marks against SJ at the end of last season - but not this season.
Over the course of his season we have moved from being a  'hope we stay in the Championship club' to genuine Championship playoff contenders (who look as though we will short) with the style of football being a genuine surprise.